Zootopia Coming To Shanghai

Haymarket

The OLED billboard on the left will look amazing when it's turned on.
1000002785.jpg

Some detail here:

Last edited:

cheezbat

So annoying that all the new lands being built at the foreign parks look so fantastic…and yet all we get over here is bland Marvel, copy and paste desolate Galaxy’s Edge, and oversized Toy Story land.

Where’s our new unique lands? WDW should have at least one in each park….I know Animal Kingdom has Pandora, and DCA has Cars Land…but what about the rest?

RSoxNo1

Gonna throw this out there. The super bright solid color palette is closer to Toy Story Land than some of the vastly superior lands like Galaxy's Edge, Pandora, Africa, Asia and Cars Land.

Look no further than Tokyo Disney Sea where the closest comp in that park is Mermaid Lagoon which still looks better than this.

This doesn't look bad, but let's not lose are stuff for a very cartoony land. They nailed it, but it's the best execution of a mediocre themed environment, just like Toy Story.

denyuntilcaught

Gonna throw this out there. The super bright solid color palette is closer to Toy Story Land than some of the vastly superior lands like Galaxy's Edge, Pandora, Africa, Asia and Cars Land.

Look no further than Tokyo Disney Sea where the closest comp in that park is Mermaid Lagoon which still looks better than this.

This doesn't look bad, but let's not lose are stuff for a very cartoony land. They nailed it, but it's the best execution of a mediocre themed environment, just like Toy Story.
I wholeheartedly disagree. I think this land is exactly the type of design that we've seen too far, few, and in-between as of late - something whimsical, fantastical, and joyful. I enjoy all the lands you've mentioned above, but I think it's not an apples to apples comparison as each of the lands you mentioned still feel real and accessible to a degree. Even the most 'alien' of lands - GE and Pandora - still are rooted in a sense of realism. Meaning, GE looks like some desert landscape, simply with alien carvings, while Pandora looks like a jungle with a gentle alien touch (the floating mountains illusion never sold me). Meanwhile Africa and Asia are reimaginings of literal real places, and Cars Land is literally Route 66.

Zootopia isn't any of those things. And where it differs from Toy Story is 1) it's level of interactivity, which adds to the immersive factor; 2) the sheer vibrancy of the land, and 3) it's lack of saturation in the parks as of now, which I think affects how we perceive it's quality.

Let's not say "very cartoony" as if it's a bad thing in a park primarily based on cartoons.

RSoxNo1

I wholeheartedly disagree. I think this land is exactly the type of design that we've seen too far, few, and in-between as of late - something whimsical, fantastical, and joyful. I enjoy all the lands you've mentioned above, but I think it's not an apples to apples comparison as each of the lands you mentioned still feel real and accessible to a degree. Even the most 'alien' of lands - GE and Pandora - still are rooted in a sense of realism. Meaning, GE looks like some desert landscape, simply with alien carvings, while Pandora looks like a jungle with a gentle alien touch (the floating mountains illusion never sold me). Meanwhile Africa and Asia are reimaginings of literal real places, and Cars Land is literally Route 66.

Zootopia isn't any of those things. And where it differs from Toy Story is 1) it's level of interactivity, which adds to the immersive factor; 2) the sheer vibrancy of the land, and 3) it's lack of saturation in the parks as of now, which I think affects how we perceive it's quality.

Let's not say "very cartoony" as if it's a bad thing in a park primarily based on cartoons.
From pure aesthetics, I'll take Hong Kong's Frozen Land over the Zootopia land 10 times out of 10. That being said, I suspect that the Zootopia attraction puts the two Frozen attractions to shame.

yensidtlaw1969

Its mostly because their eyes are screens, those don't translate well to camera. You have the same issue when you would take a picture of Daisy.

View attachment 750798
That's actually not the issue I'm taking with them - though I don't particularly love the projected eyes.

Daisy is also not a great example because in person her frontlight actually does wash out the dark colors on her face, much like it looks in that still. I've thought since Day 1 that they needed to try again on her lighting.

The bigger issue is that Nick and Judy just look totally off model - too puffy and oddly shaped. Fur is hard to work with, especially on animatronics that have to move 16 hours a day while looking consistent, and those characters in the movie are small and sleek, which is hard to translate to an animatronic. But even with that in mind, they look pretty dinged up in the promo clip.

Fingers crossed they'll be groomed a bit before we see them next, or something. Those characters do not look ready for primetime to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom