Zootopia Coming March 2016

Matt_Black

socially built advantages? I seen the movies and Judy suffers from the completely opposite of what you say.
She's the epitome of "I will do whatever it takes to fulfill my dream" with hardwork and cleverness.
And she is being put down by almost everyone... including her parents.

Yeah. That's true for a lot of white people. Doesn't mean they don't have privileges that other groups lack. A poor white person is, as a general rule, STILL going to be better off in this country than a poor person of another ethnic group.

Cesar R M

Yeah. That's true for a lot of white people. Doesn't mean they don't have privileges that other groups lack. A poor white person is, as a general rule, STILL going to be better off in this country than a poor person of another ethnic group.
I suppose we had different views.

I imagined Judi as Representative of the afroamerican south groups than white farmers myself (the part of "we forget our dreams and we're happy now", but she still kept her dreams and pushed thru all that costs, despite the blocks of being a woman and not someone "being made" to be a cop, also how she was being seen as nothing by huge groups of the zootopia citizens)
While Nick wilde was more like a con man from either italian or Israeli groups.
The Artic bears looked your typical Russian/Italian mobsters

Perhaps should we discuss this via PM? Id love to see what are your views. (note that this is view from a "latinamerican" stand point.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Interesting read. I can't wait to see the film and find out if the reviewer is reading into things or not.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonwillmore/zootopia-is-a-disney-movie-about-racial-biases#.hbevmv8vG

It’s a world in which race does not exist. But species certainly do, and they provide a fuzzier, cuddlier way for Zootopia to get at some thorny issues of prejudice and profiling. On a broad, kid-friendly scale, the movie does this through the developing of Judy and Nick’s cross-species friendship and how they overcome the assumptions placed on them and that they hold for each other — a story about acceptance and the damage caused by prejudgments. But Zootopia is filled with more specific references that signal its aims unmissably to older viewers, from the moment Judy, who becomes the first rabbit to graduate from the police academy courtesy of a “mammal inclusion initiative,” firmly informs someone that “a bunny can call another bunny ‘cute,’” but that it’s really not OK for other animals to do it.

It’s torn between classic animated film instincts and more urgent ones. No one gets killed by a cop in Zootopia, but the city becomes gripped with police-incited paranoia about the predator minority, overcome with suspicion that they really are inherently more dangerous, a population that can’t be trusted and that everyone else needs to be protected from. There’s a scene in which one character instinctively flinches from another, and, for a small moment, it’s a shocking betrayal. Zootopia is a place where anyone can be anything, as Judy idealistically trumpets, except when you’re reminded that everyone’s already assigned you qualities based on what species you were born as.

Last edited:

brb1006

I'm going to avoid searching up fanart of Judy and Nick for the next few days until I see the movie. Because there's already art spoiling the scenes in the film which I thankfully avoided eye contact.

brb1006

Zootopia mashup piece by Byron Howard made for the Chinese Zootopia Campaign featuring Baymax from Big Hero 6. This can be found on his twitter page.
CcZnnYZVAAEhC48.jpg

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I just saw the movie tonight and without a doubt I must say: it was definitely worth the wait! The IMAX experience sure helped a lot as well. Zootopia is for sure my favorite Disney movie of all time now.

I may start a spoiler discussion thread later, so anyone else who has seen the movie, feel free to drop by if I do.

brb1006

I just saw the movie tonight and without a doubt I must say: it was definitely worth the wait! The IMAX experience sure helped a lot as well. Zootopia is for sure my favorite Disney movie of all time now.

I may start a spoiler discussion thread later, so anyone else who has seen the movie, feel free to drop by if I do.
I'll meet you in the Spoiler thread later this weekend after I seen the movie sometime this Saturday or Sunday.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Taking my kids after school. Got 4:00 tickets to the Alamo Draft House and the theater is half sold out. Normally we go on a Friday after school and there will be like 3 families in the theater.

TomHendricks

I saw Zootopia in IMAX 3D today and it was glorious. A great commentary on things going on today, without it bashing it over your head. The voice work is stellar, especially Ginnifer Goodwin as Hopps. There are two great Frozen references in the movie, both made me laugh really hard. I'm taking my kids to see it tomorrow, looking forward to seeing it again.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Now that the movie is officially out, I've put up a spoiler discussion thread, so feel free to drop by if you've seen the movie and want to talk about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom