News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

castlecake2.0

Well that's what I thought at first -- that it could potentially be on a track -- but the additional drawings in the article look like something tethered directly to the floor.

I'm not a fan of the giant projection dome regardless, because I find them far less immersive than physical sets/effects -- I think Forbidden Journey is mediocre at best with the heavy reliance on the projection dome dragging down the rest of the ride (which is much better), although I know I'm in a small minority there -- but it would certainly be better if it's only a portion of the attraction instead of the entire thing.
I could see that too. I don’t mind the dome as long as it’s not the whole ride. I was picturing a moving ride, say like pirates, with the dome portion taking the place of the ship battle scene.

mattpeto

Well that's what I thought at first -- that it could potentially be on a track -- but the additional drawings in the article look like something tethered directly to the floor.

I'm not a fan of the giant projection dome regardless, because I find them far less immersive than physical sets/effects -- I think Forbidden Journey is mediocre at best with the heavy reliance on the projection dome dragging down the rest of the ride (which is much better), although I know I'm in a small minority there -- but it would certainly be better if it's only a portion of the attraction instead of the entire thing.

The one art piece we got shows it's got a log flume drop at the end. Maybe it's a combo sort of thing?

FoP boat ride with a real drop at the end?

UNCgolf

I could see that too. I don’t mind the dome as long as it’s not the whole ride. I was picturing a moving ride, say like pirates, with the dome portion taking the place of the ship battle scene.

The dome in general will likely be disappointing, because watching a video/projections never really works that well for me (it always feels like I could get almost the same experience sitting at home, when I don't feel that way about being inside a space with physical sets etc.), but it's definitely preferable as only a portion of the ride.

It was described to me as a thrill ride. So the drop plus a good deal of rocking from this ride system.

That seems like a strange fit for Moana as an IP. I wouldn't think they'd want to create something that might turn away smaller kids, either because of a height requirement or because it scared them. Of course a log flume in general has this issue to an extent, but adding on significant rocking is taking it to another level.

Jrb1979

The dome in general will likely be disappointing, because watching a video/projections never really works that well for me (it always feels like I could get almost the same experience sitting at home, when I don't feel that way about being inside a space with physical sets etc.), but it's definitely preferable as only a portion of the ride.

That seems like a strange fit for Moana as an IP. I wouldn't think they'd want to create something that might turn away smaller kids, either because of a height requirement or because it scared them. Of course a log flume in general has this issue to an extent, but adding on significant rocking is taking it to another level.
Disney has enough other attractions that is geared for everyone. I see no issue with adding in thrilling ride here and there.

James Alucobond

Disney has enough other attractions that is geared for everyone. I see no issue with adding in thrilling ride here and there.
I’m not sure that’s exactly true of Animal Kingdom. Everest, Kali, Dinosaur, and Flight of Passage all have height requirements, so there aren’t really many headliners without them at the park. That said, what it’s replacing also had a requirement, so there wouldn’t be much difference, ultimately.

UNCgolf

It's not an argument for/against thrill rides in general -- I meant specifically for Moana. It's not quite a princess ride (although I think she is considered a Disney princess), but a more intense thrill ride still seems like a strange fit for that IP/audience.

It would make more sense as an Indiana Jones or Pirates of the Caribbean ride, just as random examples, although not in Animal Kingdom.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

It’s a boat that would be able to rock back and forth to simulate waves and would have portions surrounded by a dome (like HP and the Forbidden Journey) for projection.

View attachment 679265
View attachment 679266
First of all, this sounds really lame.

Second, notice how the two characters in the patent are the HUMAN ONES? Recreating a scene from the movie? Yeah, no way is this Moana ride going to be about animals or the environment.
That makes it look like a stationary simulator attraction along the lines of Flight of Passage, except you're just in a boat.
Or maybe it's like the Ratatouille ride, but instead of being parked in front of a screen for most of the ride, you're just sitting there bobbing in the water inside a giant projection dome for most of the ride.
It's not an argument for/against thrill rides in general -- I meant specifically for Moana. It's not quite a princess ride (although I think she is considered a Disney princess), but a more intense thrill ride still seems like a strange fit for that IP/audience.
Moana is indeed a princess (I think there's a joke about it in the movie), but Disney's also retheming a thrill ride to Tiana so it's not like this isn't the first time.

UNCgolf

Moana is indeed a princess (I think there's a joke about it in the movie), but Disney's also retheming a thrill ride to Tiana so it's not like this isn't the first time.

Yeah, but Splash Mountain is basically just the one big drop and that's it. This sounds like it would be more intense throughout the whole ride plus potentially have the big drop at the end (although with this ride system I don't know if a flume drop would be feasible).

That's just speculation without more details, though.

Touchdown

Yeah, but Splash Mountain is basically just the one big drop and that's it. This sounds like it would be more intense throughout the whole ride plus potentially have the big drop at the end (although with this ride system I don't know if a flume drop would be feasible).

That's just speculation without more details, though.
There’s 4 drops, and a 11 min ride to Splash. That’s like saying ToT is just one big drop.

doctornick

I’m not sure that’s exactly true of Animal Kingdom. Everest, Kali, Dinosaur, and Flight of Passage all have height requirements, so there aren’t really many headliners without them at the park. That said, what it’s replacing also had a requirement, so there wouldn’t be much difference, ultimately.
Yeah, DAK is really in need of a long no thrill/highly immersive family ride. The ride collection of DAK is good but all the headliners have some degree of higher thrills (even the safari can be pretty bumpy and uncomfortable for some). We’ve discussed it before but something like Mystic Manor would be a good addition.

Jrb1979

Yeah, DAK is really in need of a long no thrill/highly immersive family ride. The ride collection of DAK is good but all the headliners have some degree of higher thrills (even the safari can be pretty bumpy and uncomfortable for some). We’ve discussed it before but something like Mystic Manor would be a good addition.
Disagree. I think Disney needs more thrills. I will add your post does add to what I have been saying. Disney guests aren't ride people meaning most aren't into high thrilling rides.

UNCgolf

There’s 4 drops, and a 11 min ride to Splash. That’s like saying ToT is just one big drop.

I think you either misread my post or missed the context from the rest of the discussion.

The one big drop is the main thrill aspect of Splash; the other drops are pretty tame. That has nothing to do with the overall quality of the attraction.

It's that Splash is less intense overall than this Moana ride will apparently be, which is a strange course to take for a kid-friendly IP.

Jrb1979

I think you really misread my post, or at least the context from the rest of the discussion.

The one big drop is the main thrill aspect of Splash; the other drops are pretty tame. That has nothing to do with the overall quality of the attraction.

It's that Splash is less intense overall than this Moana ride will apparently be, which is a strange course to take for a kid-friendly IP.
Outside of Star Wars aren't all Disney IPs kid friendly.

ToTBellHop

It will have a lower height requirement than Primeval Whirl, regardless.

UNCgolf

Outside of Star Wars aren't all Disney IPs kid friendly.

Even Star Wars is kid friendly for the most part, but I think there's a difference between kid friendly and something where kids are the main intended audience. There are a bunch of 5 year olds who love Moana; not sure why you'd want to build an attraction focused on her that they may not be able to ride.

Jrb1979

Even Star Wars is kid friendly for the most part, but I think there's a difference between kid friendly and something where kids are the main intended audience. There are a bunch of 5 year olds who love Moana; not sure why you'd want to build an attraction focused on her that they may not be able to ride.
Maybe they should go back to original attractions with no IP. Then they wouldn't upset anyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom