News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Sirwalterraleigh

It’s more than sketches.

This is well above the mid levels in Orlando.

This isn’t a contingency plan at all.

I can’t go into great detail but while the concept art you were shown is blue sky… the intent and plans in motion to redevelop this area is solid.
Eh…they talk a big game. And then people repeat it for “self soothing”.
But as with every Disney project, if it's not fully funded and contracted for construction, it remains just another set of plans.
Then there’s this…
The problem is it looked like they walked through Imagineering desperately looking to see what was laying around on the shelves. No one to champion the project so not much done, maybe it is fully fleshed but I don't expect movement forward.
And definitely this
I don’t doubt for a moment there is intent to redevelop the area. From the plans presented, it confirms to me those who are pushing them don’t have a clue what they are doing. But it fits Bob’s Movie-IP-everywhere edict, the fact that I believe it’s misguided notwithstanding.
And of course that

ToTBellHop

No, what's it say?
It’s a boat that would be able to rock back and forth to simulate waves and would have portions surrounded by a dome (like HP and the Forbidden Journey) for projection.

1668709142266.jpeg

1668709163466.jpeg

UNCgolf

UNCgolf

I didn’t interpret it as stationary, how would it get into the dome area. Could it be more like a boat on a track that’s covered by water?

Well that's what I thought at first -- that it could potentially be on a track -- but the additional drawings in the article look like something tethered directly to the floor.

I'm not a fan of the giant projection dome regardless, because I find them far less immersive than physical sets/effects -- I think Forbidden Journey is mediocre at best with the heavy reliance on the projection dome dragging down the rest of the ride (which is much better), although I know I'm in a small minority there -- but it would certainly be better if it's only a portion of the attraction instead of the entire thing.

Last edited:

Chip Chipperson

Well that's what I thought at first -- that it could potentially be on a track -- but the additional drawings in the article look like something tethered directly to the floor.

I'm not a fan of the giant projection dome regardless, because I find them far less immersive than physical sets/effects -- I think Forbidden Journey is mediocre at best with the heavy reliance on the projection dome dragging down the rest of the ride (which is much better), although I know I'm in a small minority there -- but it would certainly be better if it's only a portion of the attraction instead of the entire thing.

It could be that the wires on the boat are attached to a track or to something on a track and doesn't force the boat to be stationary but rather allows it to rock side to side while the boat moves forward along its track. If done well, it could be amazing. If done cheaply with little to no effort put into making sure the screen's edges are hidden (if it's truly a dome then that would really only require covering the bottom where it meets the floor/wall) then it will likely look terrible.

Chip Chipperson

It still is based on screens. Universal gets hated on for using them yet for Disney it's praised. If they aren't going to use animatronics for rides at least add thrills to them.

I don't mind screens when done well. Navii River Journey makes excellent use of screens. I would hope that the dome shape in the drawing wouldn't lead to warped images like we get on Soarin' but since the images on this potential ride would likely be animated I would hope that they have enough ability and sense to make sure that doesn't happen here.

Jrb1979

I don't mind screens when done well. Navii River Journey makes excellent use of screens. I would hope that the dome shape in the drawing wouldn't lead to warped images like we get on Soarin' but since the images on this potential ride would likely be animated I would hope that they have enough ability and sense to make sure that doesn't happen here.
I don't hate screens. I think they are done well on Spiderman at Universal. A lot of it has to with is it has thrill to go along with it. Same for Forbidden Journey.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom