News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Surferboy567

I’m a huge Indy fan and agree with you Indy would be great as a land.
and crap Muppet vision area
I know it’s inevitable, that Muppet Vision will go the way of the dodo. The muppets are excellent though, and I really hope they find a permanent more stable area within DHS. That muppet movie ride would have been great. They should be adding muppet things not removing.

BlakeW39

First they kill Splash and now DAK Furryland, I'm beginning to think Disney might have something personal against me.

That aside, Moana I'm a little iffy on. On one hand, as far as IP goes it's about as good a fit as you can get. On the other, the simplified art style of its animation doesn't fit aesthetically with the detailed and realistic environments found elsewhere in the park. It could work really well as a conduit for marine life to be brought to the park, but the issue is, are they reeaallllyyy gonna do that?

Last edited:

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
First they kill Splash and now DAK Furryland, I'm beginning to think Disney might have something personal against me.
I think they meant, first they closed Splash and now they’re planning to build Zootopia at DAK
TBF, Disney didn't really have anything planned when they revealed the concept art for the new MK and DAK stuff. Besides Bruce Vaughn is back at Disney as co-leader of Imagineering. Zootopia at AK is most likely to not get the green light for construction.

MagicHappens1971

TBF, Disney didn't really have anything planned when they revealed the concept art for the new MK and DAK stuff. Besides Bruce Vaughn is back at Disney as co-leader of Imagineering. Zootopia at AK is most likely to not get the green light for construction.
I don’t see the relevance of Bruce Vaughn returning, WDI doesn’t greenlight projects. They do what they’re told in simple terms. While the quality of what we may receive may vary based on who is at the helm of WDI.

BlakeW39

There are so many IPs that better fit the parks than Zootopia in Animal Kingdom.

Of course, but does that matter to Iger?

'Sides, I'd think we should worry about one thing at a time. Moana would be coming first, so what would that look like? I know someone said live animals would be included in the land, but the better question is, what kind? While I think dinosaurs/prehistoric life has an important place at DAK, I think the same is true for aquatic life, which thus far-- despite comprising many of the animal species on earth --has received minimal representation. If some kind of "Moana land" could bring, say, sharks and rays and whatnot to DAK, then I say it's a win.

On the other hand, I think the IP-mandate is really limiting the creative scope of what imagineering can do with the park. There are tons of great ideas they could come up with, but because they aren't allowed to create anything new, they're really limited to a kind of pitiful library of already existing movie and film franchises. Which are all gonna be less fitting than something designed specifically with the park in mind.

UNCgolf

On the other hand, I think the IP-mandate is really limiting the creative scope of what imagineering can do with the park. There are tons of great ideas they could come up with, but because they aren't allowed to create anything new, they're really limited to a kind of pitiful library of already existing movie and film franchises. Which are all gonna be less fitting than something designed specifically with the park in mind.

This is what I've said ad nauseum.

Of course IP helps with marketing, and it can also prop up a mediocre attraction busy because of connection to the IP (see Frozen Ever After, although there are limits -- the Nemo IP hasn't really helped that ride). I understand why Disney wants to use it from a business perspective.

But from an overall design standpoint and in terms of creating the best possible attractions, being forced to use a pretty small library of IP (it's not like ALL Disney IP is truly available -- management isn't going to greenlight something big based on a minor/unpopular IP because it defeats the purpose of using preexisting IP) really constrains what can be done.

NotCalledBob

The final nail in the coffin for original (non IP content) in the parks happened in March 2018. When Parks and Resorts merged with Consumer products and became DPEP.

Now the Chairman of DPEP is juggling in his (or her) head both parks development and how much merch they can sell. Frozen Ever After sells Merch. LWTL does not. The main exception to this is JIIWF, which they already know. Hence. Merch.

It's a slam dunk for D'Amaro for his whole division to bring more popular IP rides to AK (or any of the other parks). Advertising at it's finest.

The parks were obviously full steam ahead towards this prior to early 2018. But, I am sure this has helped cement the direction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom