Zika Impact

SorcererMC

Media frenzy in 3...2...1
AP Story dated July 29: 'Should Pregnant Tourists Avoid WDW Now that FL Mosquitoes carry Zika?' http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/now_that_fla_mosquitoes_carry.html

'Zika Virus Expert Warns Britons to 'Think Twice' About Trips to Disney World' from May 28.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ce-trips-Disney-World-virus-set-reach-US.html

A balanced perspective from Washington Post: "Tourists Urged Not to Panic About Zika's Spread in Florida" July 29, 2016
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...72c71a-55c2-11e6-b652-315ae5d4d4dd_story.html [emphasis added]

A Disney spokeswoman referred questions about its Zika preparedness to the CDC guidelines for preventing mosquito bites.
Officials at Universal Orlando and SeaWorld did not respond to emails asking for information.​

21stamps

Media frenzy in 3...2...1
AP Story dated July 29: 'Should Pregnant Tourists Avoid WDW Now that FL Mosquitoes carry Zika?' http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/now_that_fla_mosquitoes_carry.html

'Zika Virus Expert Warns Britons to 'Think Twice' About Trips to Disney World' from May 28.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ce-trips-Disney-World-virus-set-reach-US.html

A balanced perspective from Washington Post: "Tourists Urged Not to Panic About Zika's Spread in Florida" July 29, 2016
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...72c71a-55c2-11e6-b652-315ae5d4d4dd_story.html [emphasis added]

A Disney spokeswoman referred questions about its Zika preparedness to the CDC guidelines for preventing mosquito bites.
Officials at Universal Orlando and SeaWorld did not respond to emails asking for information.​
I'm actually not too upset with those stories, surprisingly.lol.

So the UK warning was just one guy, not an actual government warning? (I haven't looked it up).

SorcererMC

I'm actually not too upset with those stories, surprisingly.lol.

So the UK warning was just one guy, not an actual government warning? (I haven't looked it up).

The headlines I saw are saying that FL travel should be avoided, so I defer to the prior statements made by UK residents saying it is a moderate risk.

I'm just trying to show that the name 'Disney' is already be used in connection to Zika, even though WDW does not seem to have a mosquito problem in the least. But there is this negative messaging now and I find Disney's response lackluster. An industry expert in the WaPo article says that the theme parks have had effective mosquito control for years after the advent of West Nile. So, why wouldn't Disney say so?

Edit: And I sort of apologize for going link-crazy in this thread, but I would rather potential tourists be directed to accurate information, rather than getting spooked and deciding not to go.

rk03221

As a FL resident zitka has been around for a long time and its not that big of a deal unless you are pregnant. Its just the media trying to scare people, a lot of people have it without even knowing they have it, heck I probably have/had it before. Unless you are pregnant I wouldnt worry at all

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
It's public health England that's issued the warning. That to me is not the same as the department that normally deals with infectious control and immunisation. But hey the Red Tops love a good panic

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
I can't remember the last time I was bitten in Orlando by a mosquito, much less right on property at Disney. Hardly ever see incests there of any kind. It is a concern, but it shouldn't be a big one. Glad we aren't having anymore kids. I hope so how it goes away like the rest.

Still, I'm surprised it's here in the states.

SorcererMC

As a FL resident zitka has been around for a long time and its not that big of a deal unless you are pregnant

This is misleading. Florida declared a public health emergency (PHE) re: Zika on February 3, 2016 (ETA: Miami-Dade, Lee, Hillsborough, and Santa Rosa counties). So, if by 'a long time' you mean the last 6 months, fine. The new development this month is that there are 4 cases of local transmission in Miami (and the first in the US), not cases acquired by travel to Latin American countries or imported from international travelers.

I'd like to emphasize here that there are NO confirmed cases of local transmission in Orlando, but don't let that stop the media.

Zika may not be a threat to you (general) as an individual, but if you have been bitten by an infected mosquito (or otherwise exposed), then you are a carrier and may transmit it unknowingly. ~80% of people who are infected will not experience symptoms. That is how a vector-borne disease such as Zika gets a foothold in the local population (mosquitoes are well-adapted vectors).

It would not be misleading to say that Florida has managed outbreaks of other mosquito-borne infectious diseases such as dengue, chikungunya, and West Nile virus. Therefore, they are likely to undertake adequate measures and manage the Zika outbreak (to the extent possible) as well.

Edit: It's also important to note that there is a lag time anywhere from 2-6 months between infection, detection, and confirmation. It can also take a couple of weeks for reliable testing, as they are still being developed for Zika. The Miami cases were from an infection in early July, and no confirmation until July 28, with health officials canvassing the immediate area for mosquitoes and testing for other cases. (the spatiotemporal factor).

Last edited:

SorcererMC

It's public health England that's issued the warning. That to me is not the same as the department that normally deals with infectious control and immunisation. But hey the Red Tops love a good panic

@Padraig said in another thread that yesterday the Irish Dept of Foreign Affairs issued a travel warning to FL due to Zika, and expects other European countries to follow suit.

I still wouldn't expect most UKers who have planned their trips to cancel. I'm also wondering how long the travel warnings would be in effect, eg the next two months and then lifted. I suppose that depends on reports of new cases.

Jeff456

I can't recall ever being bitten by a mosquito at WDW I get bit more at home in the UK, and living over a lake doesn't help that! Certainly if a family member or partner of mine was pregnant I wouldn't want to take the risk, no matter how small because the potential consequences would simply not be worth the risk.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Yes. If Zika scares you, please stay out of my state. We would appreciate it.

Ok seriously, I live in Southwest Florida and Zika is a slight concern (we also have toxic algae blooming and Lake Okeechobee water coming to our shores). The media is acting as if if you step outside, a wild horde of mosquitoes are going to attack you and give you the virus. Not so. Look can it happen? Yes. But you can take precautions. I'd be more worried about foreign travelers carrying it here rather than contracting it from a mosquito.

21stamps

@Padraig said in another thread that yesterday the Irish Dept of Foreign Affairs issued a travel warning to FL due to Zika, and expects other European countries to follow suit.

I still wouldn't expect most UKers who have planned their trips to cancel. I'm also wondering how long the travel warnings would be in effect, eg the next two months and then lifted. I suppose that depends on reports of new cases.
Have they also issued a travel warning about cruising or vacationing in the Caribbean the past year? Would be strange to single out Florida. Any UK peeps here? Is it an actual "warning" as in, rethink your plans, or just an alert to use precautions while traveling?

I think every cruise line has reported, for some time now, that they have not seen a downshift in occupancy. None of the islands/resorts have reported a decline in travel either.

Edit--Here is what I was able to find from the UK official travel alert site. If you travel to the US from the UK you could be hit by a natural disaster, terrorist attack, car or street crime, or Zika.
I also think it's important to note that the USA has issued similar alerts regarding Zika about a year ago- for the Caribbean, central, and South America. If you go to the US travel website, you'll find warnings on pretty much everywhere. It doesn't mean that people don't go, or that the media should overreact at them. Sadly, the media loves to overinflate a story though.
image.png
image.png

Last edited:

21stamps

As a FL resident zitka has been around for a long time and its not that big of a deal unless you are pregnant. Its just the media trying to scare people, a lot of people have it without even knowing they have it, heck I probably have/had it before. Unless you are pregnant I wouldnt worry at all
Yes. If Zika scares you, please stay out of my state. We would appreciate it.

Ok seriously, I live in Southwest Florida and Zika is a slight concern (we also have toxic algae blooming and Lake Okeechobee water coming to our shores). The media is acting as if if you step outside, a wild horde of mosquitoes are going to attack you and give you the virus. Not so. Look can it happen? Yes. But you can take precautions. I'd be more worried about foreign travelers carrying it here rather than contracting it from a mosquito.
Evacuate!!! Florida is just too dangerous.

Padraig

Have they also issued a travel warning about cruising or vacationing in the Caribbean the past year? Would be strange to single out Florida. Any UK peeps here? Is it an actual "warning" as in, rethink your plans, or just an alert to use precautions while traveling?

I think every cruise line has reported, for some time now, that they have not seen a downshift in occupancy. None of the islands/resorts have reported a decline in travel either.

Edit--Here is what I was able to find from the UK official travel alert site. If you travel to the US from the UK you could be hit by a natural disaster, terrorist attack, car or street crime, or Zika.
I also think it's important to note that the USA has issued similar alerts regarding Zika about a year ago- for the Caribbean, central, and South America. If you go to the US travel website, you'll find warnings on pretty much everywhere. It doesn't mean that people don't go, or that the media should overreact at them. Sadly, the media loves to overinflate a story though. View attachment 154113View attachment 154114

You know Ireland isn't in the UK right?!? It was the Irish Dept. of Foreign Affairs that issued the warning. Which also covers central and south American countries/regions. I expect the same from the British in the next few days as two are usually in lock step as regards travel advice.

21stamps

You know Ireland isn't in the UK right?!? It was the Irish Dept. of Foreign Affairs that issued the warning. Which also covers central and south American countries/regions. I expect the same from the British in the next few days as two are usually in lock step as regards travel advice.
I didn't see anyone here post about Ireland. Yesterday someone posted "uk issued new travel warnings". On page 1 of this thread.

Ok just read the poster I quoted. She did say Ireland. I totally missed that..thought we were still on the UK subject. I haven't checked warnings anywhere else.. What destinations does it include? Just Florida, or has there been warnings in place since last year?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

I also think it's important to note that the USA has issued similar alerts regarding Zika about a year ago- for the Caribbean, central, and South America. If you go to the US travel website, you'll find warnings on pretty much everywhere. It doesn't mean that people don't go, or that the media should overreact at them. Sadly, the media loves to overinflate a story though. View attachment 154113View attachment 154114

The FO travel Advice is very understated and when you follow the link to the new National Travel Health Network it refers to Miami Dade only and despite the main page saying therer will be a country risk specific numeric score I cant see one. I cant imagine anyone cancelling a Disney trip based on this. As I said previously we wont be, even with a transit through Miami and a few nights at Margaritaville.

Padraig

I just did... Edited my above post. Apparently I need to work on my reading skills.lol

No worries. It could be read a number of ways with the follow on section about the UK. You'll find the Irish media are all over it. They do love a bit of an alarmist story anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom