Zika Impact

Nemo14

...."If I was pregnant/trying to become pregnant then I would definitely rethink certain places. But for all the non pregnant people I don't think it's a big deal. Just bring plenty of mosquito repellent"...

Yep, that's why I posted the above quote earlier :) But Miami and Orlando are not geographically close enough for a mosquito to migrate from one to the other. The rest of people in Miami Dade and Broward contracted it through different means- not direct bites. If someone is actively in the process of trying to get pregnant then definitely avoid certain areas, I probably would!
But if someone unknowlingly carrying the virus gets bitten while traveling elsewhere, that mosquito could potentially spread it to its next "victim". Again, cause for concern, but not panic.

21stamps

But if someone unknowlingly carrying the virus gets bitten while traveling elsewhere, that mosquito could potentially spread it its next "victim". Again, cause for concern, but not panic.
Yes, but only through certain means. So if Husband travels to South Beach sans Wife..once he returns home then they should put off active baby making techniques for a month or so..or take certain precautions. This is tough to say without being graphic lol.

That's what is happening now, it is spreading via people, but there are very limited ways that it can be spread...so luckily we will not have another quarantine scenario.

Nemo14

Yes, but only through certain means. So if Husband travels to South Beach sans Wife..once he returns home then they should put off active baby making techniques for a month or so..or take certain precautions. This is tough to say without being graphic lol.

That's what is happening now, it is spreading via people, but there are very limited ways that it can be spread...so luckily we will not have another quarantine scenario.
That wasn't what I was referring to.
Suppose Joe (or Joan) Smith from Miami gets bitten by a mosquito(we'll call him Mo) carrying the Zika virus. They travel to Dubuques to cousin George's surprise birthday party, where they again are bitten by a mosquito(Bob). Bob later bites cousin George's stepson, Henry. Henry now has a slight (slight!) chance of having the virus in his system, even though it wasn't Mo the mosquito that bit him.

Last edited:

SorcererMC

I hope it doesn't reach Ebola level hysteria as well. When you actually look at the Zika cases most of them are not contacted from an actual bite. So even if a Zika carrying Puerto Rican is in Orlando, that doesn't mean that you (general) are in any sort of risk. I would think most tourists are not in danger of contracting it in the form of an std or blood transfusion.
It's true that until now nearly all cases were travel-related, and no, I don't think that most tourists are at risk, but each individual has to weigh that for themselves, consulting their doctor or CDC travel warnings as you've already mentioned. Also FL Dept of Health.
---------------------
Re: media hysteria, a couple of non-media resources to see what the experts are saying are CIDRAP (July 29 FL update: http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2016/07/florida-confirms-local-spread-4-zika-cases) and UPMC Global Health Security newsletters/publications, no paywall.
Edit: CDC's Zika page http://www.cdc.gov/zika/index.html
CDC's Emerging Infectious Diseases Journal http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/

Last edited:

21stamps

That wasn't what I was referring to.
Suppose Joe (or Joan) Smith from Miami has gets bitten by a mosquito(we'll call him Mo) carrying the Zika virus. They travel to Dubuques to cousin George's surprise birthday party, where they again are bitten by a mosquito(Bob). Bob later bites cousin George's stepson, Henry. Henry now has a slight (slight!) chance of having the virus in his system, even though it wasn't Mo the mosquito that bit him.
Ok, but then I think we wold have to avoid every state in this country, except for 3 or 4 I think? I think we have enough to be concerned with than to worry about that chance. Still, I think everyone should be loading up on repellent daily!

SorcererMC

4 cases so far in the Miami area from mosquito bites. As a mom of 2 married young adults who will probably start families in the next few years, I do see the cause for concern. Panic, no, but concern, certainly.

I'm up north, I have a pregnant relative, and her doctor rec'd precautions (long sleeves, bug spray, being indoors) even though it's not in the area, if only b/c they don't know where it could show up due to travel-related cases.

Last edited:

21stamps

It's true that until now nearly all cases were travel-related, and no, I don't think that most tourists are at risk, but each individual has to weigh that for themselves, consulting their doctor or CDC travel warnings as you've already mentioned. Also FL Dept of Health.
---------------------
Re: media hysteria, a couple of non-media resources to see what the experts are saying are CIDRAP (July 29 FL update: http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2016/07/florida-confirms-local-spread-4-zika-cases) and UPMC Global Health Security newsletters/publications, no paywall.
"Though the CDC wouldn't be surprised to see more individual local Zika cases or other clusters in the United States this summer, additional cases from the small area where local transmission occurred in Miami would be a concern, Frieden said.

When questioned if outlining a small affected area might underplay a wider mosquito threat, Frieden noted that mosquitoes that carry Zika rarely travel more than 150 meters from where they hatch, making the battle against a cluster of local illnesses a very focal one. In contrast, mosquitoes that carry West Nile virus travel over a much wider area.

Florida health officials did the right thing by outlining the affected area so that people can help remove mosquito breeding sites and for transparency, he said. While no travel restrictions to the affected neighborhood have been recommended, doctors in the area will be doing more Zika testing in pregnant women."

The bolded portion is the part that sicks out to me the most.

So far I haven't had any friends or family members fleeing south florida over this. I totally agree that it is an individual decision, and heavily dependent on what stage of life you are in, I just hope it doesn't turn into panic.
I'm up north, I have a pregnant relative, and her doctor rec'd precautions (long sleeves, bug spray, being indoors) even though it's not in the area, if only b/c they don't know where it could show up due of travel-related cases.
I'm in the midwest and so far doctors here haven't done that..none that I know of anyway. I only know two pregnant people right now, they haven't changed their lifestyle. Again, I just hope it doesn't turn into a crazy panic like the media and society has become so fond of lately!

SorcererMC

But Miami and Orlando are not geographically close enough for a mosquito to migrate from one to the other.

Ok, but then I think we wold have to avoid every state in this country, except for 3 or 4 I think?
I'm just using your quotes to piggyback and provide this information.

NASA map from April for Zika Virus projections/ forecast: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/news/news/releases/2016/nasa-helps-forecast-zika-risk.html
Zika risk map NASA - April 2016.jpg

21stamps

I'm just using your quotes to piggyback and provide this information.

NASA map from April for Zika Virus projections/ forecast: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/news/news/releases/2016/nasa-helps-forecast-zika-risk.html
View attachment 154039
I'll be in a few of those zones this year, and the Caribbean. Also some of the places that I'm taking my young child are on safety travel warnings.
Awareness is good, cancelling is- like you said- an individual decision. I'm not cancelling - but it will be interesting to see if people do. So far it doesn't seem to have an impact on the cruise industry, or tourism in general.. But I guess we'll see if it will impact Florida.. I suspect it won't. Tbd.

Edit--- I suspect it won't ..unless the media chooses this as their new focus to blow out of proportion..

Last edited:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Funny you mention that.

I just read the UK governments new travel advice regarding this. They recommend pregnant women now postpone trips to Florida until told otherwise.

Warning is moderate risk to all, recommend not travelling to women up the duff or attempting to achieve said state. Much of the bumpf I saw and read today contradicts or elevates most of what I read on the subject yesterday. Eldest has had grandson No 2 so shes not overly concerned.
I just look pregnant so I may tempt the mozzies, but Im sure the alcohol applied internally will act as an antibody.

thomas998

So, you'll go to a place that had a giant measles outbreak, but not some where that hasn't had anything of the sort? Do not let fear dictate your life, everything is a risk. ^_^
Well everyone in my family has been vaccinated for measles... they don't even have a vaccination for zika or even a treatment... we find out they were wrong about how long someone with it would be able to spread it, we find out that the impact on the unborn is worse than first thought... No... I don't let fear dictate my life.. but I don't go jumping in black holes confident that the landing will in a bed of roses either.

HurricaneHanna

I've been to WDW many times and I've only ever had one mosquito bite. Disney does an amazing job at pest control so I feel like being on property there is by far a better option than visiting other locations in Florida. We've done vacations in southern Florida and the mosquitoes were a major headache at dusk especially. Here at home (Maryland) mosquitoes are an issue all summer and on a recent trip to Saratoga Springs in New York we were swatting them all day. WDW is the only place we go where I feel like mosquitoes are a non issue. As for pregnancy, if my daughter or daughter in law are pregnant on our next family trip, they'd take the same precautions they would in their own back yards. We wouldn't cancel our trip.

SorcererMC

So far it doesn't seem to have an impact on the cruise industry, or tourism in general.. But I guess we'll see if it will impact Florida.. I suspect it won't. Tbd.

Edit--- I suspect it won't ..unless the media chooses this as their new focus to blow out of proportion..

Zika virus has a 'scare factor' that other tropical diseases (eg dengue or chikungunya) lack, so I kind of think the media will blow it up (which is also why I'm trying to stick to what is known and unknown).

The unknown factor in building a contagion model is estimating how many people are actually infected with the virus, and how many they will spread it to. Zika has some stealth transmission where an infected individual is unaware of having it. It takes time to sample the local mosquito population to determine the distribution of infected vectors and how the virus may be circulating.

For Zika virus in the US, the rate of transmission (R0) probably varies between 1 and 3 people (In Colombia, the rate was ~4). In the near future, outbreaks would be very limited in scope, but it does become a numbers game of the infected population, their habits, and the environmental factors of rainfall, temperature, etc. Annual infection 'season' for FL would probably be May-Dec, with a peak in July and tapering. So the 4 FL cases are probably indicative of a higher case count, which can be determined by doing serological tests of the local population.

21stamps

Zika virus has a 'scare factor' that other tropical diseases (eg dengue or chikungunya) lack, so I kind of think the media will blow it up (which is also why I'm trying to stick to what is known and unknown).

The unknown factor in building a contagion model is estimating how many people are actually infected with the virus, and how many they will spread it to. Zika has some stealth transmission where an infected individual is unaware of having it. It takes time to sample the local mosquito population to determine the distribution of infected vectors and how the virus may be circulating.

For Zika virus in the US, the rate of transmission (R0) probably varies between 1 and 3 people (In Colombia, the rate was ~4). In the near future, outbreaks would be very limited in scope, but it does become a numbers game of the infected population, their habits, and the environmental factors of rainfall, temperature, etc. Annual infection 'season' for FL would probably be May-Dec, with a peak in July and tapering. So the 4 FL cases are probably indicative of a higher case count, which can be determined by doing serological tests of the local population.
I just wonder if the people who are now frightened to go to Florida are just as frightened of contracting West Nile Virus in their own back yard.

There is literally thousands of things that we could be afraid of. Can't live like that. It's not being irresponsible to travel somewhere that has a chance of something bad happening... It would be irresponsible to not be aware though.

Zika has been around for awhile now, there has been no reports of people staying home because of it. If the Florida cases cause a few people to avoid that state, so be it. I just doubt that it will have a major impact overall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom