You've got to be kidding me!

bobogator

Called the reservation line earlier today to try to get a moderate resort room for a planned three night trip in early Dec. The only room they have available for 12/7-12/10 is a Presidential Suite at the Boardwalk Inn resort (with concierge-level service). I snapped it up before anyone else could.

Anyone have $6400 I can borrow?

:)

Four million hotel rooms at that whole entire place, and the only room they can find is 2k/night? And this is supposedly one of their low attendance weeks.

Been to The World many many times (FL resident), and I have never had this much trouble getting a room. The website reservation system shows the same UNavailability. BTW, the rep I spoke to looked for FLRes rates first (no dice), then regular rates (one very expensive dice).

Anyone else have an experience like this?

Thanks!
Gary :brick:

Found Cinderella1976's thread (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=101577) discussing the same subject. Perhaps the whole "historical attendance" concept is due for a review? :)

PS...Kidding about snapping up the Pres Suite. :)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Called the reservation line earlier today to try to get a moderate resort room for a planned three night trip in early Dec. The only room they have available for 12/7-12/10 is a Presidential Suite at the Boardwalk Inn resort (with concierge-level service). I snapped it up before anyone else could.

:)

Four million hotel rooms at that whole entire place, and the only room they can find is 2k/night? And this is supposedly one of their low attendance weeks.

Been to The World many many times (FL resident), and I have never had this much trouble getting a room. The website reservation system shows the same UNavailability. BTW, the rep I spoke to looked for FLRes rates first (no dice), then regular rates (one very expensive dice).

Anyone else have an experience like this?

Thanks!
Gary :brick:

Found Cinderella1976's thread (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=101577) discussing the same subject. Perhaps the whole "historical attendance" concept is due for a review? :)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Now that you mention it, we did two weeks starting the Saturday after Thanksgiving and it was more crowded than we anticipated. There was also the Pop Warner crowd and a very large number of internation tour groups.

Upvote 0

Cinderella1976

Hello Bobogator!! I feel the exact same way - very surprised by the attendance level this year. I thought I was the only one with the bright idea to take my children out of school and go the first week of December :hammer: LOL!! Well sounds like you will have a pretty nice room - enjoy and have a nice trip!!

Upvote 0

KKnopf

Hello Bobogator!! I feel the exact same way - very surprised by the attendance level this year. I thought I was the only one with the bright idea to take my children out of school and go the first week of December :hammer: LOL!! Well sounds like you will have a pretty nice room - enjoy and have a nice trip!!

My thoughts exactly... Low cost, low crowds... I guess we will be in for a surprise... it was not crowded back at the same time in 2002, And Pop Warner was there as well.

Well at least One member here has a POSH room...ENJOY!

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My thoughts exactly... Low cost, low crowds... I guess we will be in for a surprise... it was not crowded back at the same time in 2002, And Pop Warner was there as well.

Well at least One member here has a POSH room...ENJOY!

WDW was still reeling from the 9-11 rebound.

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
3 years ago I went to WDW 12/5-15. The place was DEAD....a total morgue. We loved it. I guess the secret got out. :lookaroun

We stayed at CBR and rarely saw anyone when we were walking to/from our room.

Have a nice time in your $2k a night room. Want to adopt me? I can contribute some $$$. I can also offer free childcare and chauffer service. (altho now that I think about it, the $2k room probably comes with those services) :lol:

Personally, if I am going to pay 2k/night I want my bags to unpack themselves, the shower to clean me automatically, and I expect to be fed. :lol:

Seriously though, try calling back every few days and see if anything opens up. Also, 30 days out from your ressie, call religiously. If people opt not to pay their balances at that time those rooms will become available.

Upvote 0

metscool

First of all Welcome to the boards

:eek: :lol:

Let me reach into my pocket. Nope I got nothing

Upvote 0

bobogator

Original Poster
OK folks...just to clarify...I was kidding about reserving that 2k room. :)

I'm going to reevaluate this trip. While I'd really like for us to see the MK with all the xmas stuff (we've done the Halloween party the past three years, and I was going to get tix for the 8th), I don't want to work this hard to get a high-rate room just so we can deal with long lines.

We're only a 2.5h drive away (Jax), and we go down there a few times per year. Maybe I'll just wait for the next "low attendance" period and try to get a room for then. Maybe I can get the Vice Presidential Suite for 1k/night? I hear it comes with an in-room defibrillator and 4 shares of Halliburton stock.

:xmas:

Gary

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
OK folks...just to clarify...I was kidding about reserving that 2k room. :)

I'm going to reevaluate this trip. While I'd really like for us to see the MK with all the xmas stuff (we've done the Halloween party the past three years, and I was going to get tix for the 8th), I don't want to work this hard to get a high-rate room just so we can deal with long lines.

We're only a 2.5h drive away (Jax), and we go down there a few times per year. Maybe I'll just wait for the next "low attendance" period and try to get a room for then. Maybe I can get the Vice Presidential Suite for 1k/night? I hear it comes with an in-room defibrillator and 4 shares of Halliburton stock.

:xmas:

Gary

I know you were kidding, but *If* you ever decide to go that route, keep me in mind! :wave: I am very adoptable. :animwink:

www.swandolphin.com

The Swan and Dolphin have plenty of rooms! :D

Great! ...and we all know of a great CM that works there. :lol:

Upvote 0

bryPOD

Try Expedia, Travelocity, and Priceline (.com's naturally). I booked my trip a few weeks ago via Disney, and the woman on the phone was explaining that those sites buy up blocks of rooms at a cheper rate, then sell them to its customers. So, you might get lucky and they'll still have rooms available during those dates.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

bobogator

Original Poster
Trip reevaluation complete!!!

Since my daughter is out of school starting 12/18, I looked into the time period of Sat 12/16 - Tue 12/19. The website showed availability at Port Orleans FQ, for ~150/night. I prefer to make my reservations over the phone (due to the more restrictive cancellation policies on web reservations), and the rep found a FLRes rate for FQ...104/night!

Got tix for the MK xmas thing on Mon 12/18. Also, checked to make sure that the FLRes seasonal pass isn't blacked out...we're golden!!!

Now it's all down to dining. Any recommendations for some not-too-expensive fare? We've done Chef Mickey's and the Rainforest Cafe several times, and we had our expensive (but good) dinner at The Brown Derby last year. I guess I'll have to see where my "parks plan" puts us on each night before I can decide on dining plans, eh?

My Grumpy meter is going down, and my Happy meter is going up. My Dopey meter is at 100% 24/7. :)

Gary

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Trip reevaluation complete!!!

Since my daughter is out of school starting 12/18, I looked into the time period of Sat 12/16 - Tue 12/19. The website showed availability at Port Orleans FQ, for ~150/night. I prefer to make my reservations over the phone (due to the more restrictive cancellation policies on web reservations), and the rep found a FLRes rate for FQ...104/night!

Got tix for the MK xmas thing on Mon 12/18. Also, checked to make sure that the FLRes seasonal pass isn't blacked out...we're golden!!!

Now it's all down to dining. Any recommendations for some not-too-expensive fare? We've done Chef Mickey's and the Rainforest Cafe several times, and we had our expensive (but good) dinner at The Brown Derby last year. I guess I'll have to see where my "parks plan" puts us on each night before I can decide on dining plans, eh?

My Grumpy meter is going down, and my Happy meter is going up. My Dopey meter is at 100% 24/7. :)

Gary

Im glad it is going to work out for you guys. FQ is nice. It's no $2K/night Presidential Suite, but I think you can make do. :lol: I would recommend trying to eat at Le Cellier in Canada. It is the best place. Call for ADRs ASAP though. The place is always booked. In MGM 50's Prime Time is always fun too. I don't know how old your kids are but they might enjoy Whispering Canyon Cafe over at Wilderness Lodge.

Upvote 0

DCL

I definitely second the Kona Cafe. I have always enjoyed Kona, and I have found that it offers much better food, than 'Ohana. And most importantly, it's much cheaper, and a whole lot easier to get reservations.

Other than that, 50's Prime Time is another of my personal favorites. Earl of Sandwich is great for lunch or dinner. The food is really good, and everything there is pretty cheap, especially compared to other Disney quick service locations.

Upvote 0

malice

Try Expedia, Travelocity, and Priceline (.com's naturally). I booked my trip a few weeks ago via Disney, and the woman on the phone was explaining that those sites buy up blocks of rooms at a cheper rate, then sell them to its customers. So, you might get lucky and they'll still have rooms available during those dates.

Good luck.

and the availabilty of rooms for different resorts vary from day to day. for instance, last week one of those travel sites only had listings for vacant rooms at pop century for thanksgiving weekend. as of yesterday the higher end resorts became available for booking for the same timeframe.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom