You're not a 'Disney World Veteran' until you've done the following...........

durangojim

Watched people play softball on the lawn of the parking lot of your resort using trees and lights as bases😬
8A8AB8A7-0F75-40AC-9440-8DE436EFAB56.jpeg

Smooth

Done more than 12 hours in a park on the same day.
Eaten a meal leaning on the top of a trash can on a busy Summer's day.
Had a stranger get far too close to you whilst watching a parade or the fireworks (sometimes good, depending on their gender and looks).
Have a meal in the park and not finish your beverage. 10 mins after leaving and being in the sun, regretting not finishing that ice cold beverage.
Had a nap in Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents or on the people mover.
Tried a dole whip (I don't like them I discovered after trying one, but I tried).
Been soaked down to your underwear after being caught in a tropical storm.

Any more?

Just to clarify, it's just a bit of fun. You can be a veteran and not do all of the above, but you probably can identify with many of them.
1625607269452.png

Goofyernmost

We love the tour groups in Epcot......especially in the World showcase, really gives you that authentic international feeling.😁

Staying on a ride 3 times without getting off.
When our little guy was 10 months old he fell asleep on us while riding mermaid, they ket us stay on for 3 rides.

Loved it.
I can truthfully say that the chanting groups never bothered me at all unless it was during a show or on a ride. Any amount of noise they made walking along or standing in line just sounded like people having fun. Imagine that people having fun in a theme park. Go Figure! Now in earlier years when they used to send one person in a line and when they were almost to the ride itself would call them over and they all piled into the line in front of everyone. I know they could have gotten into the line at the same time ahead of us, but it just feels different and was the first incarnation of Fastpass.

IanDLBZF

One can always go to the Disney store for their Disney fix at the local major mall but a number of locations have closed and cast have been laid off.
Yeah, and it hurts.
Really bad when it's a store that you've known and loved for years.
Particularly the case with the store in Sanford, FL when it closed in 2012. I was heartbroken when that was announced, and let me tell you that particular mall went downhill ever since.

Lilofan

Yeah, and it hurts.
Really bad when it's a store that you've known and loved for years.
Particularly the case with the store in Sanford, FL when it closed in 2012. I was heartbroken when that was announced, and let me tell you that particular mall went downhill ever since.
You can always go to the Disney store at the locals and touristy Florida Mall on OBT/Sand Lake but it's in a shady and seedy part of Orlando.

SSH

You know you're a WDW veteran when:

You remember managing your book of passes...during the days when "E" ticket rides were an actual thing...vs a forum expression. Those darn few E tickets wouldn't last long...you had to keep finding the little booths to buy more - yet always had As and Bs left over when the trip ended.

When you're hundreds or thousands of miles away from the parks - but enjoy checking wait times on your phone...just for the heck of it. Or back in the day, calling the WDW phone line, just to hear the happy on-hold tunes.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In the mid 2000s, at the HS park morning opening, running full speed to Toy Story to snag fastpass, then running full speed to Tower of Terror to snag fastpass then running to RockN Rollercoaster to snag fastpass.
That’s where you went wrong. TSM didn’t open until 2008.

Lilofan

That’s where you went wrong. TSM didn’t open until 2008.
That's correct. Wrong? I remember running to TS Midway Mania because the previous day the FPs were gone, two hours plus wait in the heat and some fellow guests standing outside TS on what was Mickey Ave selling their FPs. No thanks and it is better running to get them the next morning.

Goofyernmost

One can always go to the Disney store for their Disney fix at the local major mall but a number of locations have closed and cast have been laid off.
Yea, that is what happened to me, just a month ago. I guess I was one of the people that just liked to go in and see what merchandise they were pushing at any given point. I did occasionally buy stuff, but I'm afraid not often. Most of my grandkids are at that "I'm to old for that baby stuff". You know, that awkward age when parents start wondering if having kids was really a good idea. Back when I could, I bought a lot of park tickets there over the years, but Disney decided that was to easy.

The store is now empty, the big Disney sign and small 3D Mickey is gone. But for some reason the spotlessly clean store still has all the lights on like they were still in business. And I mean ALL the lights. Strange!

mergatroid

Original Poster
Drinking grape juice that was sold from most beverage outlets.
Smelling the back of my hand repeatedly after getting it stamped when leaving the park to return later.

Goofyernmost

You know you're a WDW veteran when:

You remember managing your book of passes...during the days when "E" ticket rides were an actual thing...vs a forum expression. Those darn few E tickets wouldn't last long...you had to keep finding the little booths to buy more - yet always had As and Bs left over when the trip ended.

When you're hundreds or thousands of miles away from the parks - but enjoy checking wait times on your phone...just for the heck of it. Or back in the day, calling the WDW phone line, just to hear the happy on-hold tunes.
I never started going until 1983 so I happily missed that ticket book thing. But the early days of the Disney Passport when one ticket covered both MK and EPCOT was wonderful. Didn't have to tell them what day you were going to be there, didn't need to make reservations to eat and never had to worry about what FP you could get and then plan your path around the time you had to get back. That's when there really was magic. AND the tickets never expired so if you missed a day because of weather or illness you could come back anytime the rest of your life and use that same ticket, no extra charge. Parking was $1.50 a day and one year passports were $100 per year. Those are the memories that veterans have, I think. The following is the ticket price setup in 1983. Even back then you only saved $1.00 per day if you stayed onsite.

1625670949977.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom