Your thoughts on the Poly...Is it worth it?

wvdisneyfamily

I've heard a mixed bag of reviews on the Poly. It's run-down, too expensive, needs updated, blah, blah, blah. On the other end, I've heard it's magical, incredible, worth every cent. What are the pros and cons of staying at the Poly?

mickeysshoes

I have not stayed there and its on the bottom of my list to resorts to try. I also have heard so many different reviews that I really dont care if I ever stay there. Good luck making up your mind!!!!

oh and PS I am not thrilled that there is no bus to EPCOT..they force you take the monorail and transfer to the EPCOT line. Have you seen the line at TTC at 9 am to get to ECPOT????? No way...but that is just me!!!

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

Original Poster
Just reading your signature...the WL is incredible, isn't it? That's our home away from home. I just don't know how happy I'd be staying away from it for a long trip.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I've heard a mixed bag of reviews on the Poly. It's run-down, too expensive, needs updated, blah, blah, blah. On the other end, I've heard it's magical, incredible, worth every cent. What are the pros and cons of staying at the Poly?

Everything you've heard is true. Parts of the longhouse exteriors are run-down (nothing a little paint and dusting couldn't fix), the elevators are too small, and it is very expensive.

On the other hand, there is just something about it that makes it worth it. On our first stay, we weren't overly impressed. Then again, I was sick as a dog, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. On our 2nd stay, we fell in love.

The obvious things that are great are the conveniences to Magic Kingdom and Epcot with the monorail. The food options are great. The rooms are huge.

The not so obvious things that are great are all about atmosphere. Seeing the Electrical Water Pageant and Wishes at night from the beach. Just lounging on a hammock in between 2 palm trees. The smell of the lobby. The waterfall and flowers in the lobby. Walking around the resort at night with the tiki torches lit.

My favorite resort is the Wilderness Lodge, but the Poly has become a very close 2nd.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

Just reading your signature...the WL is incredible, isn't it? That's our home away from home. I just don't know how happy I'd be staying away from it for a long trip.

Yes we love the WL....Stayed at the POFQ in 2009 and hated it. Had a really good trip a few weeks ago at the WL. We are going to give the Boardwalk Inn at try next year. Its all my doing, DH is very happy staying at the WL everytime. But I really want to see what its like staying in Boardwalk area. The past to trip we have eaten alot in this area and have spent much more time at Epcot and HS so i think it would fit us perfect. All I can say is go with your gut and if the Poloy does not give you warm fuzzy feeling when you talk about and look at stuff on line about then it might not be for you. We all work way to hard to pay for our vacations and there is no point in being unhappy with where your staying. BEEN THERE DONT THAT!!!! Good luck!!!

Upvote 0

pcarathers

We are planning for Poly in May 2011....looking forward to it, there will be 10 of us in 2 rooms...one of the reasons we chose it. We looked at all of the other deluxe resorts and because 6 of our 10 are kids, we chose Poly since it seemed more kid friendly than GF and Contemp. We only looked at those 3 resorts due to the monorail being there and with 6 kids and 1 adult in a wheelchair, it will be better for us. We have always like the Poly when we have visited in the past and the theme pool is a big draw for the kids.

Everyone has their favorite, but I look at it this way...I"m at Disney!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

We looked at all of the other deluxe resorts and because 6 of our 10 are kids, we chose Poly since it seemed more kid friendly than GF and Contemp.

I like the GF, but I agree with this. Though most of the people there aren't snobby, there are no doubt some. The Poly isn't like that at all. The Contemporary never enters my mind because I find it WAY too business like for my taste.

Upvote 0

polymissy

We have stayed at resorts on all three levels, and try to stay at a deluxe whenever possible. However, like many people, it depends on the budget. We stayed at the poly for the second time in 2008. On our last day there, I can remember my husband saying he didn't see the point in wasting the money on a Disney hotel if it wasn't The Polynesian. That pretty much crushed me because I knew it wouldn't be in the budget for the next year. I convinced him to go again and in 2009 we gave WL a try. We loved it, too, but it still wasn't as convenient as Poly. Because of the cost, we stayed at WL again in 2010, but next January, it's gonna be Poly. We have 2 DD's, who will be 4 1/2 and 1 1/2 on our next trip, and to be able to roll that stroller onto the monorail is worth the cost. We spend most of our time at MK, so it's an easy decision for us. We had to fold it up several times at WL just to get on the boat.

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

We stayed at the Polynesian last year, DS and I loved it, and DW prefers WL. She though the Poly could use a face lift.
Is it worth it is a question that has been asked and debated before. My feelings are that it is pricey but you are on the monorail and have easy access to the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and lots of dining, so I say yes.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

We stayed at the Polynesian last year, DS and I loved it, and DW prefers WL. She though the Poly could use a face lift.
Is it worth it is a question that has been asked and debated before. My feelings are that it is pricey but you are on the monorail and have easy access to the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and lots of dining, so I say yes.

I'm currently booked at a rate of close to $500 a night for next July (Lagoon View). Rest assured, without a Bounceback or AP discount, we won't be staying there. No resort is worth $500 per night.

Upvote 0

bluejasmine

Ive been in love with the Poly since I was a little girl of 4 and every year we eat here for our first night and dream of staying here. Next weekend that dream will come true and we upgraded to CL as well, got it for 40% off and added tickets and DDP.

I have heard about some rooms needing to be touched up but the majority of the reviews are outstanding so I am not too worried about it.

As far as taking the monorail to EP thats not a problem to us we love the monorail and we go during the off times and I dont mind a bit of a wait, patience is a virtue.

The Poly is one of the oldest but classic resorts in WDW, I read reviews where they are taking furniture out and refurbishing it as well as having carpets cleaned and more so I am not worried about it.

Nothing beats evenings at the Poly relaxing listening to the tropical music and I cant wait for next weekend!

Will post reviews and pics when I get back!

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

I've stayed at the Poly many times and love it. I think the outdated and rundown thing comes mostly from the color sceam. Its done in that 1970s dark brown and I don't think that can ever look current, but the Poly is still my favorite monorail resort.

The beach gives it a great layed back feel. I love all the resturants (Kona is my favorite) and I think the Poly has the best transpertation options. The option of Monorail or boat to the MK is great, and I love that you can walk to the TTC to catch the monorail to Epcot (even if the lines look long, I have never had a problem geting there in the mornings... )

Upvote 0

Chrononymous

I say no.
But then it's because I believe for the deluxe price, there are better resorts.

The poly pool is one of the least exciting. And if there is rain, you have to spend a lot of time outside getting anywhere.(unlike other deluxe resorts where almost everything is accesable under a roof)
I also believe it needs a bit of updating, or maybe just some spit and polish. Things like the curtains looking faded.

Now, it does have a nice restaurant, and lovely lobby area, and flowers everywhere...but so do many of the other high end resorts.

I would choose WL or BW over the poly any day.

Upvote 0

fbp

It has a certain 'je ne sais qoui'.

The Poly and the Tiki Room give me this feeling of a young newly married couple from the '50's or '60's full of optimism and looking forward to the adventure and pleasures of life.

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

Original Poster
Ive been in love with the Poly since I was a little girl of 4 and every year we eat here for our first night and dream of staying here. Next weekend that dream will come true and we upgraded to CL as well, got it for 40% off and added tickets and DDP.

I have heard about some rooms needing to be touched up but the majority of the reviews are outstanding so I am not too worried about it.

As far as taking the monorail to EP thats not a problem to us we love the monorail and we go during the off times and I dont mind a bit of a wait, patience is a virtue.

The Poly is one of the oldest but classic resorts in WDW, I read reviews where they are taking furniture out and refurbishing it as well as having carpets cleaned and more so I am not worried about it.

Nothing beats evenings at the Poly relaxing listening to the tropical music and I cant wait for next weekend!

Will post reviews and pics when I get back!

So excited for you!

It has a certain 'je ne sais qoui'.

The Poly and the Tiki Room give me this feeling of a young newly married couple from the '50's or '60's full of optimism and looking forward to the adventure and pleasures of life.

Nicely said.

You have all made so many good points. It's a toughie. I'm going to have to bank on a good AP discount for this one. This also makes me nervous. The WL is fine with or without the AP discount. I don't know. I'm not a creature of change in lots of ways. The WL makes me feel at ease as a creature of comfort. Yet, I won't be happy if I don't at least give it some serious thought.

Oh, whoever said the Contemporary is too businessy hit the nail on the head. DH and I couldn't describe what it was that made a long stay there seem wrong. That's it. Thank you. :D

Captain Kidd, what do you think the chances of a good July rate are? That's what I'm banking on...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom