Your liquid intakes whilst in the parks

mergatroid

Original Poster
And I'm not talking alcoholic binges at the F & W though you can contribute about that if you prefer :hungover:.

I was more thinking about the amount you folks end up drinking when in the theme parks to quench your thirst and what you drink. Being from the UK we're not really used to the really hot days and so walking around in the Florida heat can be quite thirsty work. I've got to be honest, if money was no object then I'd drink a hell of a lot more soft drinks in the parks than I actually do! Instead I spend the majority of the time passing soft drink stands and not buying them due to the prices. Plus when I do end up getting a bottle of Sprite or Coke, I find that it's only the first few ice cold gulps that I actually crave or need and end up carrying a half empty bottle around with me or even bin it before it's empty. Of course shortly afterwards I'm craving another one and regretting binning the previous one even though a warm soft drink has never done it for me.

I honestly try to not buy more than two drinks any single day unless we're eating at Disney in which case I'll buy a large drink with the meal on top of my walk around beverages. I regularly stop at the free water fountains to drink and laugh at Mrs Mergatroid's inability to get the stream of water into her mouth :rolleyes:.

So how does everyone manage? Do you buy drinks everytime you're thirsty or is this way too expensive? Anyone take their own drink holders in with you and if so do they keep the liquid cold enough to hit the spot? Are the water fountains the only thing you normally use and am I the only one who has a wife unable to use them without soaking herself? And finally isn't 'Club Cool' in Epcot one of the greatest Disney creations, I actually had 18 drinks in there during several visits one day a few years back :cool:

loveofamouse

I carry a Tervis cup and get it refilled with ice water at every counter and eatery. I also buy bottles of SmartWater and down them in minutes. I drink A LOT of water. I rarely drink a soda, even in the parks, and I'm a Floridian. lol. I just keep refilling with the free, ice cold water. Any place that has a soda fountain dispenser can give free water and it's usually filtered. I have no issues with the taste of the water as long as its cold.

Tom

Beta Return
It's been several years since we visited during hot months, but we're going for a long weekend this August. We typically manage to get by on sharing a couple bottles of water throughout the day. Our water budget is going to be significantly higher in August, especially since she's pregnant....and I will sweat my weight in water over the course of an hour :hilarious:

She doesn't like the "swamp water" that comes out of the fountains, so it's bottled water only for her. I manage to survive on the fountains as much as possible.

HRHPrincessAriel

I had soda/water delivered to us at the hotel via amazon. I packed a small cooler with them. I only pulled out at counter service meals or when we were thirsty.

MattC

We always go for the free water from any stands that have fountain drink machines. Usually lots of ice in those to help keep cool. RARELY do we buy a soda, but can go through 4-5 cups of water a day.

mergatroid

Original Poster
I carry a Tervis cup and get it refilled with ice water at every counter and eatery. I also buy bottles of SmartWater and down them in minutes. I drink A LOT of water. I rarely drink a soda, even in the parks, and I'm a Floridian. lol. I just keep refilling with the free, ice cold water. Any place that has a soda fountain dispenser can give free water and it's usually filtered. I have no issues with the taste of the water as long as its cold.

I really wasn't aware of this, how does this work? I'm assuming you have to purchase something to do this though? I mean surely I couldn't just go into Cosmic Rays and ask for a free ice water without purchasing a meal could I?

FutureCEO

During the hot months, its hard to go a couple hours without drinking something. I don't drink soda or dasani which doesn't leave me a lot of non alcohol to drink around the park. I like Honest Tea but I only know of one location...lol. But water from the bubbler, I've seen people do.

MattC

They provide the cup. I always tell the person working the till I want water. Sometimes they punch it into the computer and sometimes they just tell me to move forward and ask someone working behind the counter.

Dwarful

They won't take a cup back over the counter for health code reasons. You can bring a Tervis (most wonderful cups on Earth!!!!) and dump the drink into it to keep the drink cold. Any place that sells sodas in cups (fountain sodas) will give you a free ice water. This trip I would always ask for ice water AND a cup of just ice. We did occasionally buy a soda maybe one per day....usually for my husband. lol. Then some would have a soda with our meals.

The water from the soda fountains is much better than the concrete drinking fountains can be.

cw1982

We always go for the free water from any stands that have fountain drink machines. Usually lots of ice in those to help keep cool. RARELY do we buy a soda, but can go through 4-5 cups of water a day.

This. The water is free from any qs, nice and cold, comes from the soda fountain, and does not require any kind of purchase. We didn't spend a dime on drinks, other than alcohol and Disney novelties like Lefew’s Brew, and we did just fine. We drank 4 or 5 decent sized cups a day.

PUSH

Usually we just drink soft drinks or whatever during meals. We probably average about one stop for bottled soft drinks a day, which is usually two bottles for three people. This is usually in the afternoon when we've been in the sun most of the day.

Bluewaves

Free water is available all over the parks, just like above, just a note especially coming from a colder climate like the UK, soda is the worst thing for you to drink in hot weather, caffeine and sugar, will end up just making you sweat more and increase your body temperature. Water really is the best thing for you, plus a nice salty snack along the way helps replace the sodium you sweat out so your electrolytes don't get out of balance.

cw1982

I really wasn't aware of this, how does this work? I'm assuming you have to purchase something to do this though? I mean surely I couldn't just go into Cosmic Rays and ask for a free ice water without purchasing a meal could I?

Yep you sure can, and they will gladly give it to you no questions asked and no other purchase is required. No one ever gave us so much as a funny look.

Clamman73

If I didn't bring water bottles with me, I usually hit up the smaller places like Storybrook Treats for some free water.

MarkTwain

I just go with all the free ice water from the soda machines. :) In Epcot, DHS, and DAK it really doesn't taste bad at all. For Magic Kingdom, for some reason the home of the finest "gator p*ss" on property, I'm more likely to buy a bottled drink or bring my own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom