Your liquid intakes whilst in the parks

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
As soon as we get to Orlando we stop at a supermarket and buy a couple of cases of bottled water, then take it to the hotel and put them in the refrigerator; some to be frozen and other just cold. Then when we head to park we take a bag with at least 1 bottle of frozen and 1 bottle of just cold water for everyone in the group. If we have rent a locker we do, but usually I just schlep around with the bag that gets lighter as the day wears on. We might get some soft drinks when we eat in the park, but water works much better at hydrating you than sodas that usually have caffeine that actually causes you to urinate more and lose more water.

We try to avoid the local water they give you at service counters because it tastes horrible. I honestly wonder if Disney add bad flavors to the water to try and convince people to buy bottled water or cokes.

No, it's the standard Orlando tap water taste....

Mousey21

Perhaps it's the 'Britishness' coming out in me but I just can't imagne marching up to the till and saying "Two cups of free ice water please". I realise that after paying about $1,500 for our two Premium AP's it's hardly 'free' but nonetheless it seems alien to me in Disney World doing that. Don't worry though I will try it, though part of me still thiks they'll look at me like some scrounger and say "No".

This could even work to my advantage though. When Mrs Merg is thirsty and wants her bottled water I'll say "Oh no my dear, you wait here and I'll go and buy you an iced water in a cup rather than have you struggle drinking from a plastic bottle, sit tight and I'll go and purchase it for you as nothing is too good for my wife". I could be dining out on this for a good while before she twigs :D

I'm from the uk too, and next time we go i keep saying I'll try asking for the water haha, but I just know I'll feel so uncomfortable doing it, it seems so cheeky! maybe it is just a british thing!

JiminyandTink

I find I dont drink nearly enough water when I'm at WDW, even in the heat I tend to forget. I only compund the problem with margaritas, daquris, and grand marnier slushies.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
But please keep yourself hydrated! Keep in mind that it takes a ratio of 2:1 to break down sugar 2 water for every sugar molecule. Don't forget to take into account the effect of diuretics (Caffeine) as they compound with sugar to make you really deficient for water. To make it pretty simple you should be drinking enough that you need to go to the WC about every hour, if you are not you are dehydrated. While you may never get any of the really bad immediate results (heat stroke/exhaustion) over time you could develop kidney stones as concentrated mineral compounds build up. If you have plenty of water passing through, they don't build up or crystallize.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
h115FC69C

AllydoesDisney

I went through three water bottles at Hollywood Studios on Monday. I felt kind of wasteful but I really needed it. It is only $2.50 and it is worth it if you're desperate.

AllydoesDisney

I went through three water bottles at Hollywood Studios on Monday. I felt kind of wasteful but I really needed it. It is only $2.50 and it is worth it if you're desperate.

AngryEyes

I'm from the uk too, and next time we go i keep saying I'll try asking for the water haha, but I just know I'll feel so uncomfortable doing it, it seems so cheeky! maybe it is just a british thing!
I'm from the good ole USA and I agree completely. I just can't do it. "Please, sir. I want some water." I have absolutely no problem, however, sending my boys to go get it, so it works out.

Figaro928

We heavily relied on the free ice water but I had read many reports on the icky taste of Florida tap water so we packed Mio flavor and single serve ice tea packets. I was fine with just water, but for our non-water drinkers, it made it much more tolerable.

Figaro928

We also brought coconut water to the park. It's MUCH BETTER for rehydration than Gatorade or smart water. it has more electrolytes and a ton of potassium and is all natural. (and quite yummy) it doesn't need to be refrigerated so we would just bring a serving or two with us and at the hottest part of the day ask for just a cup of ice. bottoms up!

Side Note: coconut water is also AWESOME to pregame with prior to a night of alcohol - really helps to prevent a hangover. And it's a good cure for a hangover as well. So if you're going during F&W, highly recommend it!

Mousey21

I'm from the good ole USA and I agree completely. I just can't do it. "Please, sir. I want some water." I have absolutely no problem, however, sending my boys to go get it, so it works out.

unfortunatly my daughter was too little to do that, however I shall keep that in mind next time!!! haha.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Hi there,

talking about liquids (and to save me starting a new thread). Mrs M and I bought one of those refillable mugs at Typhoon Lagoon last year for soft drinks and it supposedly has a chip in it. She was told you could 'reboot it' (I'm probably using the wrong term there) anytime in the future for a set fee to get refills on that day, but she can't remember at what price?

Is there a time restriction on this offer and if not can somebody tell me how much they charge to reactivate it (that sounds better) please?

StarWarsGirl

Hi there,

talking about liquids (and to save me starting a new thread). Mrs M and I bought one of those refillable mugs at Typhoon Lagoon last year for soft drinks and it supposedly has a chip in it. She was told you could 'reboot it' (I'm probably using the wrong term there) anytime in the future for a set fee to get refills on that day, but she can't remember at what price?

Is there a time restriction on this offer and if not can somebody tell me how much they charge to reactivate it (that sounds better) please?
There's no time limit. They used to do this with the stickers and you could bring back really old mugs and they would still work. We brought in our old mugs and they let us trade them in for the new RFID mugs. It's $5 to bring in and reuse an old mug.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/refillable-mug.htm

Really wish they had this option in the parks; would save a lot of money.

StarWarsGirl

As far as the original question...I'm like a camel. I drink all day, even at home. For whatever reason, my body needs more drinks than what's recommended. Back in January, I tried drinking less to save money and my feet ended up very swollen. Never again. June I went back to drinking enough and had no problem. Unfortunately, I can't drink Florida water in large amounts. Even fountain drinks will upset my system, though they tend to be a little bit better, so I can drink a few per day as long as I lay off Florida water.We found out the hard way when I was two that I can't have Florida water (I try to avoid non-filtered water or public water as a general rule. Well water is fine). I tried again as a teen and found out that I still have the same problem. So I have to buy bottled drinks. Water is cheaper, so I sometimes switch to bottled. If I spend a full day in the park, I'll drink between 4-8 bottled drinks. And then I'll get to dinner and drink about four drinks for the duration of the meal (when not in Disney, 2-3 is my normal), sometimes more.

While it would be nice to not have to spend $20 per day on drinks, I'm kind of stuck. If we didn't fly, I'd bring my own and carry several around so I wouldn't have to purchase as many during the day. We had the car in June and brought a bunch of drinks, and I would carry about three around so that I wouldn't have to purchase as many.

In August, since we spend so much time at the pool, we get refillable mugs which really helps. Then I refill it as I'm heading out the door. We buy soda to keep in the room, as well as bottled water. I really wish I could drink from the water fountains, but the extra money is worth it to not feel sick on vacation.

I have been known to pop into Club Cool when I get thirsty to avoid buying drinks.:cautious:

Magenta Panther

When I'm in MK, I drink a lot of water, and coffee, and last time at the park I got Starbuck's Very Berry Refresher drink. It's very good. Really cools you off and hydrates you.

When I'm in WS I drink a lot of beer. :D. Except at San Angel Inn, where I get its excellent margaritas.

Phonedave

Cucumbers?!? Thanks for the suggestion... I'm working on finding things to infuse in my water to make it more tolerable for my body (long odd story there)... this week I've been doing frozen mixed berries. I think I know what I'll do next time now :)

My wife swears on lime wedges and mint leaves (together).

-dave

Phonedave

As far as hydrating in WDW goes - I tend not to need much water. Just the way I am. When I go runs at home, if it is below 80 degrees I don't even take water with me unless I plan of going more than 6 miles. If I am doing a longer loop I plan it so I run past a 7-11 or Quck Check.

In WDW I usualy drink one bottle of water over the course of a day, plus any water I get with a meal. If it is really hot, then I will either get a drink at a fountain, or get a cup of ice water.

Now, if you are looking to hydrate - really hydrate - then get some Hydralyte powder (it used to be called Gookinaide before they realized that was a horrible name for it). Dr. Gookin (hence the name) analzied the sweat of dozens of people (nice job) and basicaly created a "sweat powder" (ewwww) with some lemon flavor added. The idea is, what you are loosing is what you drink back in. It is also isotonic, so it absorbs through your stomach. I can mix up a quart of it, slam it down, and have no cramping or bloat. I discovered on a long hike I was doing with a group. We had one guy who was seriously bonking. Somone else had the stuff, mixed it up, and the guy was right as rain in about 10 minutes - I was sold.

-dave

mergatroid

Original Poster
Now, if you are looking to hydrate - really hydrate - then get some Hydralyte powder (it used to be called Gookinaide before they realized that was a horrible name for it). Dr. Gookin (hence the name) analzied the sweat of dozens of people (nice job) and basicaly created a "sweat powder" (ewwww) with some lemon flavor added. The idea is, what you are loosing is what you drink back in. It is also isotonic, so it absorbs through your stomach. I can mix up a quart of it, slam it down, and have no cramping or bloat. I discovered on a long hike I was doing with a group. We had one guy who was seriously bonking. Somone else had the stuff, mixed it up, and the guy was right as rain in about 10 minutes - I was sold.

-dave

I'm not sure if that's a 'typo' or an 'Americanism' but that means something completely different in the UK :eek:. Mind you if he was doing that, then I can completely understand why he was so thirsty afterwards :)

mergatroid

Original Poster
There's no time limit. They used to do this with the stickers and you could bring back really old mugs and they would still work. We brought in our old mugs and they let us trade them in for the new RFID mugs. It's $5 to bring in and reuse an old mug.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/refillable-mug.htm

Really wish they had this option in the parks; would save a lot of money.

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom