Your first time at WDW

DisneyDavO

First Trip

My family couldn't afford to go from Philadelphia to Orlando when I was a kid.
I allways loved the whole idea of Disney world, but to a kid from my neighborhood, only rich people went there.
My first trip was in 1999 with my wife and 2 girls. We could have gone before that, but we just didn't think of it! Besides, the kids were too young.
We drove there that time and stayed off site (the first and last for both).We only spent one day at MK that week but that was it for me. I felt as if I had been there before and I instantly knew this was only the beginning. My wife doesn't understand how I can feel as if I have this past with a place I have never been, but I can't explain it. When I see pictures posted from the 70's (I was a kid then) on some Disney site, they just seem familiar somehow?
We have been back every year since then, on-site, with unlimited parkhopper passes! If I have my way we will continue this untill it is physically impossible to do so!!:D

Expo_Seeker40

My first trip to WDW was when I was 9 and it was mid December 1996. Hardly any crowds. Decked out for x-mas, along with the castle cake and other 25th anniversary decorations.

What I remember most is my first Disney ride ever. The Tower of Terror. We took the ferry that night we arrived at the boardwalk. 5 times in a row or something like that, all walk ons, as the sun set. It was something I'll never forget and the ToT is sentimental to me, but had always gotten better, from myself experiencing version 2 to recently experiencing version 4. Atleast this ride isn't going to Yesterland anytime soon!

Little things I remember:

Experiencing many things that no longer exist across WDW.

I remember seing the original WDW logo everywhere...atleast it is still around.

I also remember looking at the skyway. We have it in video and pics luckily. We never went on it because *dun dun dun* the crowds were enormous, but I still remember gazing at the gondolas going in and out of the fantasyland station...I kinda wish now I asked my parents if we could have gone on it. :(

I remember going into tomorrowland, vaguely...to me tomorrowland was only space mtn , skyway, and alien encounter. We sat watching the skyway while my dad did alien encounter and said it was too scarey for us.

I remember the new Epcot. I even have stuff that is spelled "Epcot Center" from 1996. But Horizons was still open, the new UoE, wonders of life, new innoventions, dreamfinder ,etc. 1996 was a great year for WDW and for my first time. :sohappy:

Jekyll Baker

My first trip was July 1976. I was 8. The only thing I can actually remember was seeing the shipwreck on Discovery Island from our room at the Contemporary (South wing). And I also kinda remember begging my parents to buy more ride tickets.

I used to wonder (but never asked) why my family never went more often, because my grandparents and most of my dad's family only lived 30-40 miles away. (My next trip with my family was in 1986, though I had gone with high school groups a couple times before in 1981/82).

grumpy3

First time at WDW

It was spring of 1972 my buddy and I went on vacation to Tampa Florida and said lets stgo up to WDW. Don't remember all the hoopla as it was being built, wish I could find old magazines- LOOK, Life Time , et all back from the period. Really did not know what to expect. Knew what Disneyland was but had no idea what we were going to find. Well driving up to Orlando as I guess would have to been I 4 We saw the sign DIsNEY WORLD THIS EXIT - we got off the highway and went down this 4-5 mile road and said lets find a motel along here and go to the park tomorror. Little did we know that was the entrance to the World. Later Descriptions of the property were correct, cattle pasture, swamps and orange groves. I mean there was NOTHING there! Later visits in the late 70's saw some developement My honeymoon in '82 witnessed more and retuning not untill the late '8o's and 10 more trips have witnessed the transformation of a little cow town into the tourist mecca of the world.

cuteazabutton74

My first Disney trip was in Jan. 1975, I was only 3 months old. As you can see I don't remember anything from my first trip but have tons of pictures. Since at the time we lived in Miami Florida we went once a month until I got older then we went every weekend. When I was about 10 years old we moved to </FONT></ST1:p<st1:City><ST1 /><FONT color=black>Boston</FONT><FONT color=black> where we came twice a year to visit the family and also go to Disney. Having moved back to </FONT><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = <st1:City><font color=" /><st1:State><ST1:p<FONT color=black>Florida</FONT></ST1:p</st1:State><FONT color=black> in 94 I try to go at least once or twice a year. Now that I have my own child my husband (who is a huge Disney fan) go at least twice a year. My son's first trip was at 6 months and he loves it. I remember that I wanted to ride </FONT><ST1:p<st1:placeName><FONT color=black>Space </FONT></st1:placeName><st1:placeType><FONT color=black>Mountain</FONT></st1:placeType></ST1:p<FONT color=black> and was not allowed to since my mom said it was too scary. I remember riding big thunder mountain, 20,000 leagues under the sea. Mr. Toad’s wild ride, the sky way (which I have tons of pictures) I remember riding the General electric ride (COP), Eastern Air line ride (If you had wings). I can't remember what other ride that I rode that is no longer there. I do remember Pooh bear looking very ugly compared to todays pooh. I also remember the 3 little pigs and the big bad wolf. I remember that when I was young there use to be a lot of character out and about and then at one point you were lucky if you saw Mickey.</FONT>

<FONT color=black>My first time at EPCOT was in Dec. 2001 and the only reason I went was because my husband is a huge EPCOT fan and made me go. I don't remember much about anything about the park except the world show case.</FONT>

<FONT color=black></FONT>
<FONT color=black>My first time at MGM was in Dec. 2004 which I can not believe that I had never been to that park. It is one of my favorite parks now and I go every time we head up to </FONT><st1:City><ST1:p<FONT color=black>Orlando.</FONT></st1:City>
<st1:City></st1:City>
<FONT color=black></FONT>
<FONT color=black>I did go to AK when it first opened and did not return until Feb. 2005 which still to this day don't really care for. I am not huge on animals so I figure this could be the reason. My husband did make me go again on May 2005 which we were not there for too long. I only enjoy a few things at AK but not all.</FONT>
<FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Cary</FONT></FONT></O:p

thedreamer

It was during Spring 2002, and I was 16 years old. My family couldn't afford going to Florida when we were kids (me and my brothers), but we did go to Disneyland many times as we live in Southern California :) .

DisneyFan39

Our first trip to Disney was December 1990 for our honeymoon ( I was 25 and my husband was 32) his first time flying too my second time flying. We loved everything about it....I loved Splash Mountain, Skyway was still there, we loved that too... Now we are going back in January 06 and will be celebrating our 15 weddding anniversary with our 2 daughters, my sister and brother-in-law...HOORAY:)

siliwishes

technically my first time i was in my mom's belly. but, my first time was when i was about three in 1985ish. all i can remember is:

-being scared of the howling wolf noise from the haunted mansion
-riding dumbo
-bouncing on my dad's knee in small world
-being scared on 20000 leagues

oh! i have the most classic photo ever!! of me "driving" one of the cars in MK. close up my dad took of me. it's like fuzzy from motion and i look ecstatic.

oh and i still have my dumbo stuffed animal i bought that trip. :)

I was 11 months old and went in 1974 Christmas. Of course I don't remember anything but I was there. I have been there every year at least once since then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom