Your first time at WDW

GoofyMom2

It was 1972 or '73.... (I was 4 or 5) they were still building Space Mountain. I had really wanted to ride it and was dissapointed so my parents told me it would be finished the next time we went. It was, although I had to wait like 12 years to go on it! :rolleyes:

I also remember The Country Bears, just loved that show. I thought the talking heads on the wall were fantastic and was in complete awe. My Mom also has a great pic of me riding the Carousel. And the Tiki birds, I think we saw it at least 3 times. Oh, and the Jungle Cruise... I remember it made me a bit nervous.

We camped in a trailer that trip so I remember that area, and the day kennel where our dog stayed. Funny I remember that more than some rides!

Speaking of pics, my parents still like to joke about my Mickey Ears picture. I was very tired and hungry (and you know how little ones get!). But my Dad insisited I pose for a picture in my new Mickey Ears before we got lunch. I have the maddest expression on my face in this pic, standing in Adventureland, with the ears. It's too funny! :lol:

the-reason14

1990, a year old. Dont remember a thing, but since then, Ive been every year of my life. I do, however, recall 1992, because it was the first year we had a camcorder so it wasnt easy to forget. I just remember falling in love with IASW.

MissM

1984. I was seven.

And what I remember most from MK was Donald's 50th Birthday Parade. Specifically?

Happy Birthday!
It's Donald's Birthday!
Happy, Happy Birthday to him!
*clap clap*

Good times. We had 3-day park hoppers to use between MK and Epcot.

From Epcot I remember Imagination the most. And Image Works. And One Little Spark.

Immmmmaaaaa-gin-ation!
Immmmmaaaaa-gin-ation!
A dream, can be a dream come true!
With just one spark
From me and you....

Those were the days.
-m

tigger248

Mine was either late July or early August 1988. I was 5 years old. We stayed in the old Fairway Villas. I don't remember a lot about the trip, but I do remember a little bit.

We ate lunch at the castle and I remember Cinderella coming to our table and me thinking that we were really something special because she came to vist us. (As a 5 year old, I didn't realize that it was her job to visit everyone, I just thought that she came to see us. My mom still swears that they didn't know either that it was a character meal.)

I remember loving IASW and practically injuring myself trying to see every one of the dolls.

I remember Minnie Mouse was my favorite character and I wanted to take every one of my Minnies to meet the "real" Minnie.

And I remember my brother having a real bad diaper blow out in line for SSE (leave it to a small child to remember the grossest moment of the trip!).

Oh and I remember the real nice mousekeeper who was cleaning the room next to ours who found a porcelin Mickey figurine left behind in the room and gave it to me. I still have it, though his ear broke off and has been glued back on. I really liked it and used to play with it.

It was on this trip that I decided that someday I'd be a cast member and work there. That dream came true in 2002 when I participated in the Walt Disney World college program.

dmbouton75

December 1971--I had just turned 7 years old. My grandparents took my mom, sister, 2 brothers, and I. We were either headed to West Palm Beach for 2 weeks or on the way home from there--all of us packed in Grandpa's Lincoln Continental. My family took turns taking me on IASW for obvious reasons (it's still my favorite ride). Bought a huge Tigger and Pooh ($10 each and I still have them!)--I remember being on HM with them. I remember the Wedway Peoplemover (it will never be the TTA to me!) and the Speedway. I remember the coupon books, too. My brothers always needed e-tickets...

This December will be my 9th trip. I don't know if I go for the old memories or to make new ones with my 2 children...

TTFN,
Dawn

SGT623

It was summer 1981, I was 10 and I remember almost everything from the trip and have never been the same since. I can remember that it was taking my family to long to get in the park and on a ride for my liking. I too was a little afraid of the Haunted Mansion but wanted to go right back on it after that first ride (although it took several times before I could get the courage to look up when the lights went out in the stretching room....big baby)I saw EPCOT under construction from roof of the Contemporay, and rode just about everything in the park.

tigger248

MissM said:
And what I remember most from MK was Donald's 50th Birthday Parade. Specifically?

Happy Birthday!
It's Donald's Birthday!
Happy, Happy Birthday to him!
*clap clap*

OMG! I remember that too. There was a Donald's birthday special on Disney chanel. I was like 1 and we watched it on tv. Luckily we lived in an area that got stations from 2 different time zones and my parents quickly stuck a tape in and recorded it the second time it was on. I immediately wanted to watch it again. I memorized the song from the parade and paraded around the house singing it, holding a Santa Clause place mat for my prop (if I remember correctly, the people in the parade were holding signs spelling out Donald's name).

helliker

I think it was either 84 or 85 and I was 3 or 4 years old. I have some memories of River Country, 20K Leagues, and Mr. Toad. I was told we stayed at Fort Wilderness.

After that my family didn't have enough money to go again and we didn't go until I was 19 and could pay for myself. Since then we have been going once a year!

SilentWindODoom

Flashback

Picture it: Florida, 1992. It was October, and I was 5 years old. I got out of Kindergarten for a week, so we could go down to Disney World.

We took an Amtrak train down from Grand Central Station (we live about 2 hours up from the City), and now that I look back, it's frightening how much little details I remember. It seemed like hours waiting for the train to come, but I had managed to fascinate myself with a poster for Cats, wondering what the heck it was all about. Finally, we headed down. Me and my mom sat on one side, and I slept on the floor in front of the two seats with a little blanket and my stuffed Elmo (my best friend and most prized possession through childhood).

We stayed at Caribbean Beach, and would start out for Magic Kingdom first thing next day. I remember it was a long walk all the way to the busses. My first trip to Magic Kingdom was done in a special way. I don't know if my parents planned it that way, or if it just happened. We took a bus to the Polynesian, and boarded the monorail there, which we took through the Contemporary to our destination. I thought the invisible dog leashes I could see people with in the Contemporary were the coolest things I had ever seen in my life.

We went to the left, which I've always done since. It's always seemed like second nature to me, and I've often done so in other instances of life. I barely remember the Jungle Cruise, but I know that I loved it. Ahh, the memory of our guide taking out his pistol and shooting the Hippo. I, who was afraid of loud noises, covered my ears. I remember the boat coming really close to land on the left, and a few birds in the trees, but I don't recall seeing that my last trip. For some reason, possibly due to a fear of deep water (I can't swim) I actually was kind of afraid, in retrospect, to go on the Jungle Cruise, and didn't ride it my next trip.

I loved the shooting gallery, although I only seemed to be able to shoot the target that made a ghost rider come up in the background. I also sat and watched the Diamond Horeshoe Revue, where one woman kissed the baldest man in the audience. This was a highlight of the show, but I didn't remember seeing it the next time. The Haunted Mansion would be left alone until my next trip.

We rode 20,000 Leagues, and I was in complete awe at the entire show. I did, however, get a bit scared when we dove. I know that what I heard must have been incorrect, but I thought the man said that we would actually be diving 2 leagues, and, although much less than 20,000, it still scared me a bit. My dad said, "Don't worry, we're only going down a little bit." I wouldn't know until I watched a Saturday Night Live segment with Kelsey Grammer a few years ago that a league doesn't measure depth. Soon, things would take a turn for the worse. The red alert went on, and the sirens began blaring. My parents told me to close my eyes, and I did, wrapping up into a ball with my eyes closed and my hands over my ears. In this state, I couldn't tell what was happening, and, since I had been down there for a while, I got up, asking if it was over with. I caught a glimpse of the other ship. Fortunately, that's all I saw, because the squid would have given me nightmares for months. I had seen the end of the movie before, and I could have sworn that I saw the dying Nemo lying on his bed through the window. I closed my eyes again, until it all passed. 20,000 Leagues was a completely traumatizing experience for me.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride also scared the crap out of me. I was all fun and games until the train tunnel. We headed for the track, and I was sitting behind the wheel, trying to steer. My dad jokingly yelled out, "Watch out for the train! Get out of the way!" I tried to keep going straight, but the car went right into the tunel, and my dad yelled, still jokingly, "No, not in there!" The train was coming, and it was one of the scariest experiences in my life. I was still a bit shaken as we left.

I stayed in Polynesian at a little daycare center themed after Peter Pan that night, while my parents went out. The entrance was Wendy's room, and steps led through the window to the rest of the place. They'd pass a basket with silver streamers on it (Pixie Dust) over your head and you'd walk out. I can remember the entire layout of the place, too. The next night my parents went out to the Luau, but I loved it so much I wanted to go there instead of going with them.

Also, one morning we ate character breakfast, although I don't remember where. Chip and Dale tickled me.

EPCOT I don't remember much, but I did visit the Living Seas, and it became, and will always be, my favorite EPCOT pavillion. We also watched Kitchen Kabaret, another favorite of mine. I still have a postcard of it somewhere. I also remember watching whatever show they had at the time from the bridge over the "English Channel". My ears were covered for that too. I wouldn't watch fireworks sans covered ears for a few years. We saw the green lasers from it another night when we were going from our hotel room to the food court, and I was rushing my mom, who wanted to sit and watch, because I was afraid of when the fireworks were going to start.

I remember a few things from MGM. I loved the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground, although the fly, ant, and dog's nose scared me. I walked up to the nose, since my parents told me to, and it sniffed, which sent me running like a blaze in the other direction. Also, I remember this warehouse type area. It was like a gag warehouse, and there were many Roger Rabbit elements in it. One was an old car with a cardboard cutout of a weasel with a tommygun, pointed at where you were supposed to take a picture. I thought the friggin' thing would shoot me, and refused to take the picture. My dad did, though.

You know what? I look through this, and realize just how much of a pansy this makes me sound like. LOL I was afraid of friggin' everything. It's okay now. Yes, I realize that two of the attractions in my sig were traumatic childhood moments, but there's good reason behind them. 20,000 Leagues was closed next time I came. I look back on it, and look at all kinds of stuff about it, and I realize that it would have been the kind of attraction I would have loved and ridden repeatedly, like the Mansion, but I was just too young. I never got to ride it again. Also, I rode Mr. Toad's next trip, and loved it, although eveything seemed to be black with neon paint, and 2-D, instead of the colorful 3-D characters I remembered. Of course, memories from so long ago can be a treacherous thing.

barnum42

1987, I had always wanted to go to Disney World but it was never possible. But when I was 20 I was able to afford to pay for a trip myself. I've no single main memory of it, just the delight of having finally made it :D

July 1994.
I was blown away how huge WDW was.

I was so excited and wanted to see everything at the same time (but not missing a thing) though I was already 24 at that time. :)

CAPTAIN HOOK

My first trip was in April 1994.

We had a 4 day Park Hopper ticket and did MK twice and MGM & EPCOT once.

I seem to remember making sure that the kids had a good time rather than enjoyng it myself - but I still came away enchanted by the place :D

Blackie Pueblo

Barnum42 I'm glad you made it. Not to ruin this topic, but it's kind of sad that it has become like a quest for a lot of families to make a trip to Disney World. It shouldn't be like that. I wish everyone could experiance the magic of Disney, at least once.

Blackie Pueblo

Uponastar

My first trip was in 1990. I was a full-fledged grown-up (36 years old) who had never been anywhere.
It was love at first sight. Luckily, my husband felt exactly the same way. We have been totally hooked ever since, and have been back at least once a year, most years twice.
The best thing about the first trip was seeing everything through our daughters' eyes. They were 10 and 11 on that trip and had the time of their lives. Now they are all grown up and out on their own. My dh and I will always be glad that we were able to share that wonderful time with them and look forward to future trips with them and, hopefully, grandkids someday. :)
This is a love we definitely hope to pass on.

barnum42

Blackie Pueblo said:
Barnum42 I'm glad you made it. Not to ruin this topic, but it's kind of sad that it has become like a quest for a lot of families to make a trip to Disney World. It shouldn't be like that. I wish everyone could experiance the magic of Disney, at least once.

Blackie Pueblo
I share your wish. However it was never a quest for my family. My Dad hates the thought of Disney World and my sister never had any desire to go to America. However my sister now lives in America having married a chap from Boston!

My Mother has converted to Disney and the pair of us have enjoyed three trips there.

Uponastar

Blackie Pueblo said:

Blackie Pueblo

Blackie Pueblo, I think that some people think that a trip to WDW is an unreachable dream. It doesn't have to be. It can be done on a tight budget with some careful planning. I oughta know, most times it is the only way we can do it. We live near the Jersey shore and I know that what some people spend on a week's vacation there could easily take them to WDW. You just have to save, shop around for deals, and spend conservatively once you're there. It can be done. We do it all the time! :)

barnum42

Uponastar said:
Blackie Pueblo, I think that some people think that a trip to WDW is an unreachable dream. It doesn't have to be. It can be done on a tight budget with some careful planning.
When I was a kid Transatlanic crossings from the UK were far too expensive, but thankfully no longer. I can get flights an hotel to Kissimmee for two weeks that will cost less than flights and hotel for one week in say, Italy. (This is staying off-site of course)

goonsquads57

December, 1996. My fondest memory is either seeing the castle for the first time (even though it was a cake, it was still "fond"), or seeing the look on my wife's face when we first entered the MK through the train station. She had tears in her eyes, she was so happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom