Your first time at WDW

robynchic

I was about 3, so I think in 1987 or 88 (my birthday is in November). I remember wanting to go on the Dumbo ride so badly, and my mom and dad said I was too young, so I cried a bit, but then I took a nap while my dad was holding me (looking back now, those are the types of parents I love...not the ones who push their kids around everywhere). I woke up, kind of tired and confused, and saw a bunch of people dancing below, and kind of dozed off again. Then I woke up again, still a little groggy, and saw a man and a dog, and stayed awake, but not totally there yet. What got me wide awake was when I saw a green man sitting on my lap in a mirror, between my brother and my dad, and I started screaming bloody murder. Ever since then, I've been fascinated with the Haunted Mansion...
And I remember that I was trying to say something to Mickey, and he took my shoulders and forcefully spun me around...I didn't like that. And I remember the birthday show ("Happy birthday, happy birthday! Happy happy birthday to you!") vaguely.

...yeah...I have a lot of memories, even when I was that young...I have an elephant's memory.

Since1976

I came from a pretty poor family, but even we managed to go to WDW 3 times by the time I was 13.

The nights were miserable (we slept in our pickup truck in a trailer park in the hot, sweaty Florida summer), but looking back on it, I really appreciate the fact that my parents scraped up every dollar they could to get me and my sister down to Orlando.

My fondest memories are of Epcot, because it was so much more serene than the MK, and much more adult.

DisneyMissy

My first time was in March of 1989 and I was 17. I went with the highschool bandfront. I remember riding Space Mt., Big Thunder Mt. Spaceship Earth, Jungle Cruise, It's A Small World. There is more but I don't remember it all. We had a blast. Disney Studios wasn't open yet when I was there so we only had Magic Kingdom and Epcot plus we went to Sea World.

It took me until March of 2005 to get back and going again in March of 2006. I am hooked!

bgraham34

Mine was 84 and I was 9 years old. The only thing I remember is my older sister not wanting to be with us. But I cant remember anything about that parks.

mhead

October 1972 - I was one year old and remember nothing. I have seen the pictures though and heard many stories! You see my grandfather was one of the heavy equipment operators employed to help build the park. He still worked there at the time and even got a call to come to the park one night when one of the 20,000 league subs would not open and they could not find a crowbar on property. He had to go out and pry open the hatch!
The other great story is that he , like all other workers, had the opportunity to buy stock at next to nothing prices and he elected not to as he wasn't going to " waste a bunch of money on something that may or may not make it!" LOL :lol:

mrtoad

I always thought it was 1973 but found out a year or so ago I have been wrong all along and it was 1972. We went for 10 years straight after that. I don't know what I remember from that trip. I have been fortunate and have gone a ton of times and it all kind of just runs together in my mind. I have trouble telling what memory is from what trip.

Dubman

Summer of 1972.. I was 5 years old, and the only thing I remember about it is riding IASW.. I cried from start to finish!! :cry: Same results to this day!:animwink:

skippykitty

I went with my family (mom, dad, sister - who was 3 at the time) June 7, 1993 - June 14, 1993 for my tenth bday celebration.
We stayed at CBR - Martinique -forget the room number.

To start, it was my first flight and I was screaming and crying for my parents to take me off the plane because I was so scared. I got over it (obviously) and I LOVE flying now.

I remember little bits and pieces of my vacation - mostly magic kingdom
peter pans flight, carosel, snow white, dumbo, tea cups, meeting the characters, castle, cinderella, chicken fingers :slurp: , small world, the indy cars.
epcot - norway ride and spaceship earth and flamingos near mexico!
mgm - great movie ride

I also remember it being very very hot and that I wanted to sit in my sister's stroller. :lookaroun

On my birthday I got to pick which park to go to - magic kingdom and I rode the Indy cars alot that day. My parents also got me a stoller hehe. :lol: Then my parents took me to chef mickeys and I got a suprise from mickey and his gang - a huge cake with a balloon and everyone singing to me. I was sooooooooooooo embarrassed and my mom was balling :cry: !! We got it on tape and I am still embarrassed. My sister stole most of that cake too btw :mad:

The next day ruined everything - I got sick and was doomed to spend two days in the hotel. I got to watch alot of cartoons though :D. I was stupid - I drank the pool water :hurl: because I was trying to talk under water (me and my cousin used to do this all the time). So this stupid action of mine resulted in parents being very mad at me for ruining their vacation b/c we didnt get to go special places all the time. So my parents took turns taking my sister to the parks and watching me. I felt horrible :eek: .
The next thing I remember is eating a character breakfast at the polynesian the day b4 we had to leave. I still didnt feel good but I didnt want to miss another day.
It was a wonderful time --too bad I got sick -- but I have been about 6 times since then (but with my boyfriend's family) and I cant wait to go back!:D

DragonJay

It was 1972, and was the first of our annual trips to Florida. It all started by accident...my grandparents were already in Florida, and lost the keys to their car. My dad decided that he'd hand-deliver the keys, and might as well take the family as well.

I was only 2 at the time, and the only two recollections I have are having to have my dad hold my hand on the Haunted Mansion, and riding Dumbo with my grandfather. It does sound young to have memories, but I do have a near-perfect memory (I can still remember the layout of the apartment we lived in at that age).

disneylands

Account Suspended
My first visit was in 1992 and I was four, so I dont remember anything about it, But the trip after that was in 1995 and I remember that I loved splash mountain, haunted mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean! and I still do!

disneylands

Account Suspended
skippykitty

you really like using the smilies dont you?:) :p :wave: :animwink: :dazzle: :lol: :lookaroun :D :sohappy: . lol good technique!

PhilharMagician

I did not get there till 1993 and I was 25. Unfortunately my family could not afford to travel to Florida from NY for vacation. I had to wait till I could afford it on my own. One of the main things I remember is the vast size of the resort. We had traveled without any planning except for rooms which we stayed at CBR, rental car and airfare. Food became an issue if we wanted to sit down for a nice dinner. We had no reservations. Most of our trip ended up at quick service meals. As far as rides, we were so overwhelmed that most of the trip is a blank. I remember what we rode I just do not recall details. I will say that I remember the awefully painted fish in 20K and a woman was about to go crazy being in the sub (She was screaming).

CThaddeus

I feel so ancient reading most of these posts. People who were only 4 in 1992? Yikes.
I didn't get to go as a kid. Disneyland is closer to my hometown, the Biggest Little Nightmare on Earth - Reno, Nevada - so we went there pretty much every year. Finally, in 1996 at the old old age of 26 (after I'd moved to be next to Disneyland!), I scrounged enough money together to take a very budget trip to Walt Disney World. I was bowled over by EPCOT's Future World. After experiencing Horizons, Journey Into Imagination, Spaceship Earth, Cranium Command, Circle of Life, Food Rocks, Alec Tronic, and everything else there I was hooked. Dreamflight, The Great Movie Ride, and Muppetvision 3-D were amazing, as well. My one bad memory of the whole trip (besides having to leave) was that the first night I arrived, my forgetful friend (who works at the World) I was to stay with didn't come home until about 4 am, and so I had to sleep in my rental car.

MissM

tigger248 said:
OMG! I remember that too. There was a Donald's birthday special on Disney chanel. I was like 1 and we watched it on tv. Luckily we lived in an area that got stations from 2 different time zones and my parents quickly stuck a tape in and recorded it the second time it was on. I immediately wanted to watch it again. I memorized the song from the parade and paraded around the house singing it, holding a Santa Clause place mat for my prop (if I remember correctly, the people in the parade were holding signs spelling out Donald's name).

I don't think I ever saw the special. Which stinks because a lot of people have and it'd be neat to see it. I just remember how big of a deal it was. It was all Donald you know? The song has stuck with me forever. And it's funny because for so many years no one had any clue what I was talking about. But with the wonder of the 'net and fellow long-time Disney fans, suddenly, people can join in and remember it with you. It's so cool. :)
-m

MY_NAME_STITCH

December 2002. Christmas season at the most magical place on earth. Just my wife and I. There is no greater place on earth to get into the Chrismas spirit than at WDW. I look at the hundreds of photos that we took and the video that we shot, and it makes me want to return tomorrow.

MayKit

Original Poster
To "Mr. Toad."

Great pictures! What month did you go to WDW? (at the time those pictures were taken) That little girl (your daughter?) seems to be wearing heavy jackets in a lot of the pictures she's in.

MayKit

Original Poster
To Silent Wind ODoom

(I wouldn't know until I watched a Saturday Night Live segment with Kelsey Grammer a few years ago that a league doesn't measure depth.)
The one where they kept repeating "We're 20,000 Leeeeeagues Under The Seeeeeea." over and over? That was a funny sketch!

mrtoad

MayKit said:
Great pictures! What month did you go to WDW? (at the time those pictures were taken) That little girl (your daughter?) seems to be wearing heavy jackets in a lot of the pictures she's in.

Thank-you. :)

Yes, that is my daughter. We were there the week spanning the end of Jan 05 and Feb 05. It was quite chilly at times. We usually go at that time and it is not too bad but it was cold this year. One night was so cold we had to all buy hats and gloves and I think a blanket for my daughter. We were at Epcot and almost did not make it do Illuminations as it was freezing.

mrtoad

I had gone in 1993 as my first trip as an adult. It was my honeymoon and I had not been to WDW since the early mid 1980s. It was both of our first adult trip and we did almost zero planning as well. We ate at some sit down places but a lot of it was pick as you go.

Now we over plan which can be nice as you get some nice places to eat but can be bad as everything runs around meal plans...

PhilharMagician said:
I did not get there till 1993 and I was 25. Unfortunately my family could not afford to travel to Florida from NY for vacation. I had to wait till I could afford it on my own. One of the main things I remember is the vast size of the resort. We had traveled without any planning except for rooms which we stayed at CBR, rental car and airfare. Food became an issue if we wanted to sit down for a nice dinner. We had no reservations. Most of our trip ended up at quick service meals. As far as rides, we were so overwhelmed that most of the trip is a blank. I remember what we rode I just do not recall details. I will say that I remember the awefully painted fish in 20K and a woman was about to go crazy being in the sub (She was screaming).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom