Your defining Disney World icon

Epcot82Guy

Original Poster
Just for fun, I thought I would pose the question:

What is YOUR defining Disney World icon? We often look at the four park icons, but there are so many locations, attractions, resorts, etc. What is the ONE thing that defines why you love WDW? (and, what is the story behind why this thing makes WDW for you?)

Tiggerfanatic

The castle - I'm old enough to remember watching Wide World of Disney on Sunday nights, with the opening scene of Tinkerbelle touching her wand and making the castle come to life. To me, that means Disney, and I still get that feeling when I see it on the big screen, or get my first glimpse of the castle when I look down Main Street.

DisneyGigi

Mine would have to be the Castle. When I was a little girl I saw pictures so many times and thought how I wanted to go to WDW so bad. When I did finally go as an adult and I saw the first glimpse of it.. all those memories and excitement came flooding back. Everytime I go and I am walking down Main Street, I have the same feeling. We start every trip at MK and when we leave it is how we always finish our trip. As I am exiting I can't help but stop and look back at it one last time. :)

JWG

The entrance sign to the World... it just lets you know you've "arrived."

It's also my least favorite, as going the other way and seeing the "See ya soon!" is depressing...

tooltime

The castle - I'm old enough to remember watching Wide World of Disney on Sunday nights, with the opening scene of Tinkerbelle touching her wand and making the castle come to life. To me, that means Disney, and I still get that feeling when I see it on the big screen, or get my first glimpse of the castle when I look down Main Street.

i remember watching the movie on sunday nights...i made sure to see the beginning with Tink and the castle

ROEFan88

As much as I love the castle, I think I'll have to say Spaceship Earth... being as Epcot is my favourite park (and arguably my favourite place ever).

I just love looking up at it as I walk in, and whenever I see it I can't help but marvel at what an incredible structure it is. I also think the ride is/was one of the most fascinating, uplifting and inspiring experiences ever. SSE is the defining icon for me.

(And now I can't wait to see it WAND-LESS, the first time I'll have seen it that way since 1996!!!)

camithepirate

Im gona be diffrent and say Tower of Terror. my frist time WDW was with my friend and her parents, we drove through the area and the first thing i could see was the looming tower of terror. we wouldnt go to the park to next day, but seeing it just boosted my excitement. Now whenever we go, i make my parents drive by it :cool:

mousefan1972

Mine would have to be the Castle. When I was a little girl I saw pictures so many times and thought how I wanted to go to WDW so bad. When I did finally go as an adult and I saw the first glimpse of it.. all those memories and excitement came flooding back. Everytime I go and I am walking down Main Street, I have the same feeling. We start every trip at MK and when we leave it is how we always finish our trip. As I am exiting I can't help but stop and look back at it one last time. :)

Me, too (sigh...). And not knowing when I'll see it again adds to the "I'm so bummed I'm leaving WDW" feeling that comes with the conclusion of every trip.... :cry:
Back on topic: Cinderella Castle, most definitely! :)

Dragonrider1227

A few things. The castle,and monorails for they were what i've been seeing in Disney World specials since forever. The "Welcome to Walt Disney World" entrance does it for me as well.

Nemo14

This might sound odd, but for me it's Mickey ears. My first Disney memories are of the Mickey Mouse Club and the Mouseketeers, and oh how I wanted a pair of those ears!!!! :eek:

Gosh I'm old!!!!!!:(

sarajo

Mine would be the Castle. Ever since that first trip in the spring of 1972, I have loved the sight of the castle. As a little girl in '72, that was the epitome of everything little girls love... princesses. And, today, even as I approach 40, the castle is still my Disney icon... and now, I have a daughter almost the same age I was on that first visit, and she loves the castle just as much as I did at that age!

doop

I have two defining icons that mean WDW to me. Obviously the castle, it is one of the most recognizable images in the world, and every time I enter MK and see it for the first time, it is precisely at that moment when I realize where I am. The second icon for me is Tower Of Terror. It's my favorite attraction in all of WDW, and I get the same feeling seeing it as I do from the castle, it just brings everything into perspective.

Epcot82Guy

Original Poster
Interesting replies thus far. I guess I shoudl answer my own question. ha ha.

I have to go with a tie between the monorails and SSE. The futurism and sort of implementable elements of WDW were what made it. It was both fantasy and reality at the same time, and I loved the forward thinking a lot, and I feel these really define that for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom