Younger Generations do the dig Disney.

bgraham34

Original Poster
After talking to a friend he has kids 7,10,13 and they really did not care for Disney. Many refused to go on some rides. 2 of the kids did not want there picture taken with characters. The 7 year old wanted to be in the pool all day.

Then i have 2 co-workers who the ones kids loved Disney and the other did not.

I am just curious. :eek:

flowerlady

:sohappy: My kids are ages 11 and 7 and they absolutely love hopping on all of the rides Disney has to offer. For us :king: visiting Disney World in general has always been a special thing....we are always counting the minutes to our next trip and when we can be back in that magical land.....

My kids also enjoy goofing around and taking pictures w/ the characters...it adds to the fun of being in the parks....

Were the parents who took the children into going to Disney? or was it simply just a destination for them?

Weather and time of year they went could also have been a factor too....too hot and heavily crowded would make me grumpy and want to leave the park and stay in a nice cool pool too.......

DisneyWales

Background

I think it depends of the background of the child in question. When we went i took my two brothers, the youngest (11) Loved it sooooo much, he rivaled my obsession levels, where as my other brother, liked it, but said he prefered Busch Gardens more.

I also think it depends how you put it across to said child, i told my brothers to enjoys it as they prolly wont get the chance to come back, and i also told them that first its a theme park, second its a Disney Experiance. I didnt push the Disney think on them, I let them indulge in that side as much as they wanted. And lets be fair while it is all over the park, you can avoid a major amount of DISNEY if you tried.

HMGhost13

i agree aboutt he background of the child. as well as their friends and such. as most kids and even more teens consider disney world 1 of 3 places: Good-a vacation destination, Indifferent: a play place for kids but the thrills are fun, Bad: a stomping ground for "fun" (ie, vandalisim, mean spirited pranks, etc). this all factors in to how a kid'll respond to their first trip to disney world or disneyland.

SallyShine

My boys 15, 13 & 9 (all macho football players) just love Disney. They have been many times and my love of all things Disney has rubbed off on them. We talk for months ahead of time about all the things we'll do and where we'll eat. I can see if you went with adults that complained about everything that the magic might not be there. I will admit that the two older boys won't wear any Disney clothes while we are at the parks (except ESPN/Disney). Then again, neither will my DH. The younger one will, but for how long?

WDWFREAK53

Last October I went down with my cousins (11, 9, 8) and aunt and uncle. (None of them have ever been).

I'm a huge Disney fan but I tried not to push that on them...I told them to just enjoy the parks.

Well, the first night we went was for Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. The first attraction we hit was the Pirates of the Caribbean...
The 11 year old (boy) loved it...the 9 year old (girl) thought it was kinda lame...and the 8 year old (boy) didn't open his eyes because he suddenly "became afraid of the dark" and just wanted to get off the ride.

Because of this...the 8 year old didn't want any part of any other rides. (Not just for that night...for the remainder of the trip).

The 11 year old just wanted to stay at the pool for the rest of the trip...and the 9 year old really only wanted to do rides that would "thrill" her...if they didn't...they were "boring or lame."

Now, I don't necessarily say this is a "kid" thing...I think it all depends on how the kids are brought up. I'm only saying this because I know if I gave any of those kids an action figure or a doll...they wouldn't know how to "have fun" with them. I hate to say it...but video games and television is probably the biggest problem. It seems that they can only have fun with "toys" that "do something" so the fun is actually laid out for the kids. God forbid kids actually have to THINK about storylines for their toys and create a "world" for them. Imagination is being ripped from these kids (and, it's not the fault of the video game companies or television...it's the fault of the parents for not monitoring how much time is alotted to television and video games).

Just this past weekend I went to the Olive Garden (it was lovely), and a kid and his father are there. I'm thinking, "Wow, what a nice dad spending quality time with his son." But...oh no...out pops the Sony PSP (handheld video game system). The entire wait the kid was playing with it... (which, ok...fine, the kid's bored while they wait). Then, we sit down...and they sit down about two tables away from us. The entire meal, the kid has his face planted down into the screen...(eating with one hand while the other was holding the game). Then, I look up...and the FATHER IS PLAYING IT! (while he's eating). Next time I look up...the father's playing and now the son is out of his seat...looking over his Dad's shoulder as he plays. I know this has nothing to do with Disney...but it floored me to think that this probably isn't the first time this has happened.

So, back to the thread at hand. I do believe that kids still get into the Disney experience...but only if they're brought up in a manner to really "appreciate" it and have "fun" with it. If a kid is brought up not exercising his/her imagination skills...they won't know HOW to "get into" the Disney experience.

orioleinflorida

kids

My kids are 9 & 13 (well 13 on march 10th) .We are going to disney March 17th-March 23rd and they cant wait . We havent been in 5 years so they were pretty young last time and dont remember all that much ...just a few rides .It's hard to think that kids wouldnt like Disney ..this 37 year old one (me ) sure does !:animwink:

Magic Maker

Sweet Lord! I cannot believe that Olive Garden story, that sucks right there.
My nephew does not play a lot of video games, he is very creative and active. My boyfriend's son however plays video games a LOT! He has an XBox, Gamecube, and Gameboy for the car. Now he also goes to the parks and typically has a good time and he likes puzzles and toy sets that are used for building things. So there is a balance, but he is not as creative as my nephew.

WDWFREAK53

Magic Maker said:
Sweet Lord! I cannot believe that Olive Garden story, that sucks right there.
My nephew does not play a lot of video games, he is very creative and active. My boyfriend's son however plays video games a LOT! He has an XBox, Gamecube, and Gameboy for the car. Now he also goes to the parks and typically has a good time and he likes puzzles and toy sets that are used for building things. So there is a balance, but he is not as creative as my nephew.

See, that's my point right there...thank you for posting this. Your boyfriend's son is a video game lover...but he also knows how to have fun with other things and he has an imagination (which is why I didn't blame the video game makers and the television companies)...Some people just plop their kids in front of the tv as a "teacher" or a "babysitter" and they have no "intellectual interactivity" with it. Yes, video games are interactive...but only to a point...
It's like reading a book or watching the movie...while reading the book, you form your own mental images...whereas...in the movie...it's all laid out for you. I feel like an old person by saying "kids these days" but I'm 27 and when I was a kid...we had action figures and dolls and we knew how to have fun with them...These days, it's all about the video games. (Proof...what was the hottest item this year for Christmas? How about last year? How about the year before that? XBox360, Furbies, Tickle Me Elmo's, Playstations, etc. (All toys that "lay the fun out for the kids"). When was the last time kids went "Ga-Ga" over a simple doll like a Cabbage Patch or an action figure like He-Man or GI Joe?

bigang

i think the best approach to enjoying disney is to take it slow. whenever i hear people who did not enjoy there trip it usually was because they tried to
do to much, or overplanned. this is the one thing about the vast size of wdw
it can overwhelm the rookie disney guest

bhg469

When my girlfriend was in the college program I took a buddy of mine becuase she had that great discount. Well we were both 24 year old males and it was his first time there. Even though it rained the entire trip he still talks about how he had a good time.

RebeccaQ

There are definitely still younger kids that love it. Great point has been made about how it can depend upon how much a kids depends on passive activity.

I found out the other day just how much my 7 year old loves it. He was pretending to be a grownup and a Dad and so I snuggled up to him (as his daughter) and asked him (since he is such a good "dad") to give me some tips on being a good parent just in case I grow up to be a Mom one day. Guess what he answer was - "teach your children about Disney World and take them there as much as you can and everyone will love it. Then also if they have kids when they grow up you can still take them along with your grandkids" That just killed me - his big parenting tip was to teach your kids about Disney. Too cute. I think he can be considered a fan.

Rebecca

btw- we don't own any playstations, etc - the 7 yo does play a bit of toontown on the computer, but not much.

texanspivey

yeah I remember going for the first time when i was a sophomore in high school and ever since then I've been hooked. Its not something I generally share with everyone but I'm 20 and in college and I would consider myself a man's man but there's something about the place that just gets me really excited. I guess it's because I didn't experience it when I was little so I never had the magic, but man there's no doubt that Disney World is a special place!

bgraham34

Original Poster
I am just worried when my wife and i have kids in the next couple of years they will hate disney and then i will have to goto Disney by myself.

peter11435

bgraham34 said:
I am just worried when my wife and i have kids in the next couple of years they will hate disney and then i will have to goto Disney by myself.
Its all about how you bring them up.

doop

I'm 15, I'm a regular guy, I play sports, but there's something about the place that I just can't get enough of.

ksc

WDWFREAK53 said:
Proof...what was the hottest item this year for Christmas? How about last year? How about the year before that? XBox360, Furbies, Tickle Me Elmo's, Playstations, etc. (All toys that "lay the fun out for the kids"). When was the last time kids went "Ga-Ga" over a simple doll like a Cabbage Patch or an action figure like He-Man or GI Joe?

My little girl turned 5 last month (jan 2006). She BEGGED Santa for an Amazing Amanda doll and Scamps and Furby. So, Santa delivered. She also asked for a kitten (white, sweet girl kitten, pwease!) Santa delivered that too. (btw Amazing Amanda was an amazing $98!!!) She has played w/Amanda for maybe 45 minutes total since Christmas morning. You have to have timing to be able to interact w/her and my Amazing Amber :animwink: just gets frustrated, wants to answer too quickly and starts yelling. :eek: She has played w/Scamps some more than Amanda. Furby is useless and unintelligible.

My DD gets her My Little Pony collection and reindeer collection (y, she has several reindeer!) and a carriage and pretends all sorts of games and scenarios and races with those things. She has abandoned Amanda for her "naked" baby doll that is inanimate (sp?), but you can put its thumb in its mouth.

I REFUSE to have a PS, Gamecube, Xbox, whatever in my house. #1 reason is b/c my DH would get sucked into it and never return! :hammer: #2 reason is because we already have 2 wireless laptops w/games and the internet and that is too much. (We each have laptops from work that we bring home each night.)

I allow DD to play on noggin.com or something else. She naturally chooses the things there that require her to color in pictures or draw something - activities that require imagination and creativity. (This makes me proud of DD.)

...... My thoughts/reasoning on why a computer is ok and a game console is not-as-ok are this...... As DD grows up and enters school and college and the work-force, computer skills will be necessary. I don't have the same opinion on game-playing skills. I know the arguments about hand-eye coordination. Using a mouse or a touch-pad accomplishes similar hand-eye coordination without the hypnotic state.:hammer:

We read almost every night (wish it were every night, but sometimes we're all just too tired. :snore: ). She begs for her night-night story to be from her Bible story books. She is starting to read too and reads the words she knows and learns 1 new word each night minimum. We gave her a cute little pink leather Bible for her 5th b'day and she treasures it. We waited until it would mean something to her and boy! does she! We have read the 1st chapter of Genesis already and she is fascinated with the Creation story there.

I KNOW we're not doing a perfect job as parents and most of her good characteristics seemed to be nature (vs nurture). She has always been a very sweet child and has always imagined the funniest and biggest and most unique things! But I think that we are guiding her in a good direction here.

I see friends and family with children that allow them entirely too much time on the PS, Xbox, etc. Then I also see some of those same kids get excited over playing in the box that the refrigerator came in. There is a balance somewhere that those w/game consoles must find.

I choose not to search for that balance. I choose no game machines!!!

BTW... 7 days till next trip to WDW.
Staying at Pop Century. Character meals at Princess Storybook (dinner), 1900 Park Fair (breakfast), Breakfastasaurus (breakfast, duh) and then adults-choice Le Cellier (no characters but good steaks!)
1st time doing dining plan
1st time doing Magical Express
1st time as a family to stay on-site

orioleinflorida

video games

My son loves video games. And I have to argure that they are not bad for all children if you chose which games you allow to be played ect.
My son plays quite a bit in the car on the way to places ect. It has not harmed him in any way .He is a straight A student with great manners .
We stick with nintendo games and nintendo systems because they have a lot of child oriented games ..Mario ect. I think sometimes it just depends on the kid.

RebeccaQ

peter11435 said:
Its all about how you bring them up.

Totally agree. Even though my kids are wild for Disney (like the story I told about my 7 year old) - my Mom is an out and out Disney party pooper and the rest of my family is so-so at best about Disney. They think we are nuts. So I could have easily thought "oh well, most people don't really like Disney" and gone on the be sarcastic like my Mom, but it is just not in my heart to give up on imagination and magic. So that is the way I have always been around my kids (that's why if you are in the grocery and think you hear Hampsterweel it is me - my kids beg me to do crazy voices from Disney and being in public is no excuse not to according to them) But - we have a GREAT time together. A quote I heard one time that I love - "what other people think of me is none of my business!"

Dwarful

Well, as a mom of 2 girls, and aunt of 3 nephews & 1 niece who are all crazy for Disney. they range in ages from soon to be 16 (in May) boy, 12 girl, 10 b & 10 g, 5 g & 4 b. At first my husband and and I were the true Disney fans, from honeymoon we were hooked. Then we eventually got my sister and her 2 kids to go with us. Then in '04 we got the whole gang to go and we all got our first annual passes together in '04!

I think like all things, if they try to make it lame and boring they will (long wait lines, too hot, too cold, it rained, food too salty, to expensive, etc.) But if they go to have fun they will.

Now with all that said, my girls are hooked on what is probably far more expensive than any game system and that is The American Girl Collection. Its very easy to drop $300 and not get much more than a doll, a few outfits and the books to go with her. Then you've got the furniture, new clothes, clothes for the girl, etc. But they do put in hours of imaginative play time on the playroom floor so I guess its worth it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom