You see Pixie Hollow being removed?

Darkbeer1

First of all, those people can move, and second of all, they do just fine for the NYE fireworks/water show they put on, so...

DCA's fireworks are all small, low level ones that can't be seen outside the park, which is done on purpose.

No way would the City of Anaheim approve a new Fireworks permit for DCA due to the closeness of neighbors.

Phroobar

DCA's fireworks are all small, low level ones that can't be seen outside the park, which is done on purpose.

No way would the City of Anaheim approve a new Fireworks permit for DCA due to the closeness of neighbors.
Besides we learned that the smoke doesn't move very well at least at Pixar Pier.

D

Deleted member 107043

The little used pathway is a narrow corridor. They should have made a second store front with wider walkways that’s accessible from the stores and Main Street. In fact, they should be even more ambitious by plowing through the restrooms at the north next to Plaza Inn so guests can walk from Tomorrowland straight down to the Main Street hub bypassing the crowds. From looking at Google maps, they are all backstage and employee rest areas. Maybe can’t be done.

They could also connect TL with Main Street via East Plaza Street.

Darkbeer1

I'm sure they'll approve anything Disney wants if Disney threatens to just up and move the whole of Disneyland Resort somewhere else.

First off, that would be an empty threat....

Second, Disney just ran into a brick wall with the Eastern Gateway, and Disney had to scramble to find a way to get it done on its currently zoned property (aka Western Gateway).

The city right now wouldn't approve ANYTHING Disney would want to do, without them forfeiting the TOT tax rebate program they fought so hard to get approved,

This is coming from an Anaheim Resident that has followed and reported on Disney history for decades.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'm sure they'll approve anything Disney wants if Disney threatens to just up and move the whole of Disneyland Resort somewhere else.

No need to relocate a cash cow when there are new markets where P&R can invest and grow its business. Maybe you weren't following Disney's Eastern Gateway development, which went down in flames last year. After decades of lobbying its way to get concessions from Anaheim officials Disneyland's clout with residents and city hall has withered away in recent years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phroobar

Getting back on topic. I see no reason to remove Pixie Hallow. It really is a cool themed environment. It reminds me of the old Honey I shrunk the kids movie set at DHS. It's nice, hidden and immersive. It could easily be converted into a toddler playground similar to Goofy's house once Toon Town meets the wrecking ball. Tinkerbell could still do meet and greets next to pixie themed slides and swings.

nevol

Getting back on topic. I see no reason to remove Pixie Hallow. It really is a cool themed environment. It reminds me of the old Honey I shrunk the kids movie set at DHS. It's nice, hidden and immersive. It could easily be converted into a toddler playground similar to Goofy's house once Toon Town meets the wrecking ball. Tinkerbell could still do meet and greets next to pixie themed slides and swings.

Pixie Hollow was paul presslers idea of a disneyland capital expenditure when the subs were closing, dca flopped, winnie the pooh was their big new attraction, and mr lincoln and the treehouse almost closed for good.

I don't think anything like that belongs in the hub. Same with the fountain. They were redeemed because the wishing well set some precedence but it at least fit the style of the castle. Rococo-like gardens and meandering paths and interactive moments are one thing, but upscaling and making that aea more multifunctional and busy beyond what is there is inappropriate to the hub, especially when the hub needs expansion to handle its primary functions. Totally into having immersive environments, mazes, meet and greets, and play areas in fantasyland though. The alice mazes in paris and shanghai come to mind.

Last edited:

Phroobar

It's not really part of the hub. It's hidden against the Buzz Lightyear building and the path on the side of the Matterhorn. It's one of those pretty areas that no one knows about to just wonder around in. To lose that to MK like wasteland hub would be a shame. It really is kind of out of the way and a bad place to watch the fireworks anyway. A new hidden playground / meet & greet would be cool.

DSCF0295.jpg

alpine_pixiehollow2013ww.jpg

FerretAfros

Pixie Hollow was paul presslers idea of a disneyland capital expenditure when the subs were closing, dca flopped, winnie the pooh was their big new attraction, and mr lincoln and the treehouse almost closed for good.
Except that Pixie Hollow didn't open until 2008, a year after the Nemo Subs, 5 years after Pooh, 9 years after the treehouse's Tarzan overhaul, and 6 years after Pressler left TWDC (nearly a decade after he got promoted away from DLR specifically). It was built to tie-in with the latest direct-to-video franchise, simply replacing one girly meet & greet with another. All sorts of terrible management decisions were made during the late 90's/early 00's, but Pixie Hollow was a different era, several resort presidents removed.

For what it is, the area is actually pretty well done. It's got some nice details and is tucked away in a manner that makes it nearly invisible to passersby. The Tink franchise is pretty much played out at this point, so I have no issues with it being replaced with something more worthwhile, but the small, exposed site has limited options

At the very least, it would be nice if they would reconfigure the paths to reopen the connection from the Buzz Lightyear overflow queue to the Matterhorn, which was blocked by oversized blades of grass in order to obstruct views into the new meet & greet. That used to be a great little shortcut during the off-hours of the old meet & greet, and did a lot to relieve congestion in TL's entrance

dweezil78

I'm of the belief that every inch of space within Disneyland is valuable real estate and should be utilized to its fullest potential. I think Pixie Hollow and Aladdin's Oasis (basically sitting there unused) are two of the biggest culprits when it comes to wasted space. Both should be used for better things. While I love those little hidden nooks and crannies in the park for exploring, I don't think Pixie Hollow offers enough in this department to warrant it sticking around much longer.

nevol

I stand corrected on the Pressler characterization.

I think beyond opening the areas up on the east end of the hub that could be used for fireworks and leaving the rest as is-or giving it a similar use, any major changes should be held off until a tomorrowland redo. Who knows if the peoplemover tracks or buzz will still be there in 2025, so a clean slate might be better for approaching each project.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom