Pre-Trip You may be right...We may be crazy. A last-minute Disneyland Adventure.

First of all, it's nice to be back! Since COVID hit I have not been lurking as often as I typically would have. Kelly, on the other hand, has been living vicariously through your trip reports as a way to fill the gap until we are able to visit Disney again. I hope all of you have been keeping well and that your families are safe, healthy, and vaccinated!

It's been a very long 18 months north of the border and while we've been having a pretty fantastic summer weather-wise, we've been itching to get back on a plane and experience a little more normalcy in our lives. Kelly and I have often fantasized about when we would return, what it would be like, could we handle the restrictions, etc. We ended up getting into a pretty in-depth conversation the other day while watching Behind the Attraction on Disney+. One thing led to another and we were pricing out a quick getaway to Disneyland just as a goof.

The more we planned this fake trip, the more we really wanted to try and make it work. Our kids' passports are being renewed as we speak as we have nothing planned until November so the big discussion right off the bat was whether Kelly would be ok leaving the kids. I have no issue with that but it's not as easy for her to let go. To my surprise, she was on board and this fake trip started to get a little more real.

We spoke with our travel agent to get her opinion on what we should do and to ask a bunch of questions about the requirements to travel. That conversation led to us deciding to pull the trigger and make this trip a reality! That said, I am quite happy to be back writing another pre-trip report after what feels like an eternity!

WHO: The first time crossing the border in a COVID world will be just me and Kelly. The girls seem pretty bummed that we're leaving them to go to Disney but we've promised to bring them back a lot of stuff. That seems to be easing the blow a little. Plus, it will be a very much-needed break for just the two of us.

WHEN: This trip is coming up very quickly! We have two weeks to prepare. We will be making our first return visit to Disneyland since the 60th anniversary celebration in 2015. We will be in Anaheim from August 26 returning home on August 30.

We plan to leave Edmonton first thing in the morning on the 26th, arriving in LA around 130 pm after a short layover in Vancouver. We will take a direct shuttle to our hotel and hopefully get into one of the parks by about 300pm.

WHERE: We've booked our stay at the Fairfield Inn, just outside the main gates. The hotel looks nice enough for the time we will spend there and the location is pretty solid! Can't beat a quick walk to and from the parks.

THE PLAN: This will be constantly evolving because we're doing this so last minute but it should add to the excitement of the trip. The first day will be a half-day in one of the parks, not sure which yet, followed by three full days with hopper passes. Currently, we are waiting on our Disney ticket confirmation code in order to link the passes to our Disneyland app and make our park reservations for each day.

We're also aware that booking restaurant reservations are that much trickier for some of the places we want to eat but we've already found some success in securing at least one reservation using the help of mousedining.com to alert us on openings.

At this point in time, we do have the Blue Bayou booked for a farewell dinner later in the evening on August 29th. It's been a long time since we've been there and it's definitely one of our favourites during any DL visit.

The other places we have added alerts for include: Oga's Cantina, Lamplight Lounge and Cafe Orleans. I'd love to find a way to sneak a visit to Trader Sam's while we are there as well but much of this trip will be go with the flow so we'll see what comes of it.

Aside from that, we're now going through all the hoops to get COVID tests book before we depart and finalize the rest of our travel plans. I have no doubt that we will be updating this report over the next two weeks before we take off and we're very excited to be sharing a Disney trip with the group again!

If you have any tips, or must-do's, or anything that might make our quick visit that much more special, please feel free to share with us!

Thank you for following along!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Just wondering if anyone has any shuttle recommendations? We've been checking out a few options to book a direct shuttle from LAX to the hotel (and back) and have found a couple good options but curious if it's easier/cheaper to just Uber/Lyft?

Rista1313

Im In Yes GIF by Christine Gritmon

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Just wondering if anyone has any shuttle recommendations? We've been checking out a few options to book a direct shuttle from LAX to the hotel (and back) and have found a couple good options but curious if it's easier/cheaper to just Uber/Lyft?

I've used Lansky car service a few times to and from LAX to Anaheim and they were great. We even had plane delays and they rolled with it. They offer a short grocery stop too if you want, the time we had plane delays we had previously arranged with them for the grocery stop to be a stop at In and Out Burger instead but with all the delays we just wanted to get to Disneyland (and go to Trader Sams) and they still offered to stop at In & Out which I thought was nice because their site says something about how the grocery stop can be cancelled if there are flight delays.

I've also used Uber as well, it is cheaper and we have always gotten decent drivers although some have been crazy drivers. We had a driver that got us around 10pm at night at LAX and I don't think went below 85mph all the way to Anaheim. It was the quickest trip there ever!

PacNWTigger

We have used SuperShuttle in the past, and have had good experiences with them. It is a shared ride (or at least it was prior to Covid), but they keep the hotels well grouped so you don't go too far out of your way to drop others off.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
I've used Lansky car service a few times to and from LAX to Anaheim and they were great. We even had plane delays and they rolled with it. They offer a short grocery stop too if you want, the time we had plane delays we had previously arranged with them for the grocery stop to be a stop at In and Out Burger instead but with all the delays we just wanted to get to Disneyland (and go to Trader Sams) and they still offered to stop at In & Out which I thought was nice because their site says something about how the grocery stop can be cancelled if there are flight delays.

I've also used Uber as well, it is cheaper and we have always gotten decent drivers although some have been crazy drivers. We had a driver that got us around 10pm at night at LAX and I don't think went below 85mph all the way to Anaheim. It was the quickest trip there ever!

We have used SuperShuttle in the past, and have had good experiences with them. It is a shared ride (or at least it was prior to Covid), but they keep the hotels well grouped so you don't go too far out of your way to drop others off.

I really appreciate these suggestions. I've looked at both and several other options to get us to and from the airport. We're leaning towards a private ride from Super Shuttle as we don't really want to share with anyone else (COVID and all) and we want to get to the hotel as quick as possible (Traffic depending).

I'm thinking we might pay a few extra bucks and upgrade to a curbside pick-up as opposed to meeting the express ride in the LAXit ride share lot. Hopefully save us some additional time.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Pretty sure we are all set in terms of restaurant reservations. We still have an active alert to notify us of any Oga's openings though judging by the Disneyland app, the standby lines don't seem overly too bad right now. I'm confident we will be enjoying a couple fuzzy tauntauns!

Aside from that, I just booked our COVID tests required to return home to Canada for late Friday afternoon. Just another interesting addition to what travel currently looks like!

youngdeb

We used Lansky previously but from SNA rather than LAX. Really convenient, good communication and quick service. We used them mainly because we needed car seats still and didn't want to drag them along with us. I'd read a lot of good reviews and we weren't disappointed.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It made me dance, and I don't dance. I think it's creative! Even my then-teenage brother, who is a critic of everything, thought it was one of the best offerings Disney's had on the entertainment front in years.

The first time I saw it in person there was a family near us with a teenage son who had Down Syndrome and another special needs child. When that music came in they all started dancing and having such a good time that my husband and I joined in the fun and danced too. Watching their joy made it even more special for us.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Have fun!! I hear tell that Mickey's Mix Magic is back at Disneyland--that is a must-do, if you can!

I agree! I know a lot of people are not fans of this show, they claim it is too cartoony and doesn't have sentiment but I think it is fun.

It made me dance, and I don't dance. I think it's creative! Even my then-teenage brother, who is a critic of everything, thought it was one of the best offerings Disney's had on the entertainment front in years.

The first time I saw it in person there was a family near us with a teenage son who had Down Syndrome and another special needs child. When that music came in they all started dancing and having such a good time that my husband and I joined in the fun and danced too. Watching their joy made it even more special for us.

This sounds like very high praise for the show! I am not familiar with this offering but fully intend to look it up and make sure we know when/where it's taking place. Sounds like it may even entice this non-dancer to have a little fun! HAHA

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Just a few more days to go! Kelly and I are off to get our pre-boarding COVID tests this evening. Assuming all goes as we think it will, we will be at the airport bright and early on Thursday morning!

We ended up booking our shuttle from LAX this morning as well. After looking up a number of different companies we went with Curbside Express LAX. They have great reviews and all rides are curbside pick up which is a huge bonus for us. Likely just grab an Uber or Lyft back to the airport on the 30th.

Packing is pretty much complete though it does feel a bit strange making sure we have enough masks packed up.

vpEAlobbhliTazKPf4J1PfDQUCAQezwWNLh-0vULR_k7Ftmf_Qf6edKLcOe7l5M6jVDfZTSL9QO96Z5zJbWZBRtAP4VnQcvXEbQ0R3x5z2ISj7hKGnqX0AZY8jhffplqRU0be8yZoEA=w2400

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom