Pre-Trip You may be right...We may be crazy. A last-minute Disneyland Adventure.

First of all, it's nice to be back! Since COVID hit I have not been lurking as often as I typically would have. Kelly, on the other hand, has been living vicariously through your trip reports as a way to fill the gap until we are able to visit Disney again. I hope all of you have been keeping well and that your families are safe, healthy, and vaccinated!

It's been a very long 18 months north of the border and while we've been having a pretty fantastic summer weather-wise, we've been itching to get back on a plane and experience a little more normalcy in our lives. Kelly and I have often fantasized about when we would return, what it would be like, could we handle the restrictions, etc. We ended up getting into a pretty in-depth conversation the other day while watching Behind the Attraction on Disney+. One thing led to another and we were pricing out a quick getaway to Disneyland just as a goof.

The more we planned this fake trip, the more we really wanted to try and make it work. Our kids' passports are being renewed as we speak as we have nothing planned until November so the big discussion right off the bat was whether Kelly would be ok leaving the kids. I have no issue with that but it's not as easy for her to let go. To my surprise, she was on board and this fake trip started to get a little more real.

We spoke with our travel agent to get her opinion on what we should do and to ask a bunch of questions about the requirements to travel. That conversation led to us deciding to pull the trigger and make this trip a reality! That said, I am quite happy to be back writing another pre-trip report after what feels like an eternity!

WHO: The first time crossing the border in a COVID world will be just me and Kelly. The girls seem pretty bummed that we're leaving them to go to Disney but we've promised to bring them back a lot of stuff. That seems to be easing the blow a little. Plus, it will be a very much-needed break for just the two of us.

WHEN: This trip is coming up very quickly! We have two weeks to prepare. We will be making our first return visit to Disneyland since the 60th anniversary celebration in 2015. We will be in Anaheim from August 26 returning home on August 30.

We plan to leave Edmonton first thing in the morning on the 26th, arriving in LA around 130 pm after a short layover in Vancouver. We will take a direct shuttle to our hotel and hopefully get into one of the parks by about 300pm.

WHERE: We've booked our stay at the Fairfield Inn, just outside the main gates. The hotel looks nice enough for the time we will spend there and the location is pretty solid! Can't beat a quick walk to and from the parks.

THE PLAN: This will be constantly evolving because we're doing this so last minute but it should add to the excitement of the trip. The first day will be a half-day in one of the parks, not sure which yet, followed by three full days with hopper passes. Currently, we are waiting on our Disney ticket confirmation code in order to link the passes to our Disneyland app and make our park reservations for each day.

We're also aware that booking restaurant reservations are that much trickier for some of the places we want to eat but we've already found some success in securing at least one reservation using the help of mousedining.com to alert us on openings.

At this point in time, we do have the Blue Bayou booked for a farewell dinner later in the evening on August 29th. It's been a long time since we've been there and it's definitely one of our favourites during any DL visit.

The other places we have added alerts for include: Oga's Cantina, Lamplight Lounge and Cafe Orleans. I'd love to find a way to sneak a visit to Trader Sam's while we are there as well but much of this trip will be go with the flow so we'll see what comes of it.

Aside from that, we're now going through all the hoops to get COVID tests book before we depart and finalize the rest of our travel plans. I have no doubt that we will be updating this report over the next two weeks before we take off and we're very excited to be sharing a Disney trip with the group again!

If you have any tips, or must-do's, or anything that might make our quick visit that much more special, please feel free to share with us!

Thank you for following along!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Less than 24 hours to go until our first leg of the trip to Anaheim. Checked into our two flights with good seats on both. This is one 4 am wake-up call I am very excited for.

For those of you with IG, please follow along as we plan to post as much as we can throughout the trip. Even talking about doing some live videos which we've never done there before. I apologize in advance for my very Kermit the Frog-like voice! We thought this would be an interesting opportunity to document the new travel process, especially for Canadians.

At any rate, if you want to join us, our handle on IG is @canadians_in_fantasyland

cgersic

Oh I just can't wait!!! I think I'm as excited as you are!!
Happy Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Those masks are super cute! They look almost silky. Are they lightweight and do you like them? I am always looking for new/cute/comfortable masks!
3 of the 4 are from the Disney Store. They are surprisingly lightweight but I also haven't had to use them in Southern California temps!

With Kelly working in healthcare, she has also been able to score us some medical-grade masks, including N95's for the flights. Just trying to be as cautious as possible so we can enjoy every minute of the trip and still get back home with no issues or delays.

KellBelle

3 of the 4 are from the Disney Store. They are surprisingly lightweight but I also haven't had to use them in Southern California temps!

With Kelly working in healthcare, she has also been able to score us some medical-grade masks, including N95's for the flights. Just trying to be as cautious as possible so we can enjoy every minute of the trip and still get back home with no issues or delays.

Thanks! I am with you on the medical grade ones for flights! I have some from Shop Disney that we wore in WDW while we were there in December 2020. I realize it was not as hot, but they were comfortable to wear and easy to breathe. Hope you guys have a fun time, can't wait to read about it!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Thanks! I am with you on the medical grade ones for flights! I have some from Shop Disney that we wore in WDW while we were there in December 2020. I realize it was not as hot, but they were comfortable to wear and easy to breathe. Hope you guys have a fun time, can't wait to read about it!

Thanks a lot! Nice to get a sense of what to expect once we get a taste of the whole masks in parks experience. I'm sure it will be a bit cumbersome at times but at this stage, we honestly don't care. We really look forward to this sense of normalcy.

ferbtones

So excited to follow along with you, as we have our first ever trip to Disneyland planned for next July.
Been to the World 7 times over the years, but felt the need to see the park Walt built. (Also our 14 year old daughter is a massive Marvel fan and wants to move in to Avengers Campus).

Just hope we are allowed over, as we live in little old England.

I hope you both have the best time and can’t wait to pick up some tips.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
So excited to follow along with you, as we have our first ever trip to Disneyland planned for next July.
Been to the World 7 times over the years, but felt the need to see the park Walt built. (Also our 14 year old daughter is a massive Marvel fan and wants to move in to Avengers Campus).

Just hope we are allowed over, as we live in little old England.

I hope you both have the best time and can’t wait to pick up some tips.
Thanks for following along! We will do our best to give you a good sense of Disneyland and what to expect when you get the chance to visit!

Shortly before we joined DVC, Disneyland was pretty much our go to park as it’s easier to travel to but since our last visit, WDW has taken over for us.

I miss the original. I miss knowing Walt had walked those streets. It is smaller than MK, of course, but has a charm that can’t be beat.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Have a great trip! I am soooo jealous!! I will definitely be following along on Instagram and hope you will write a full report once you return home!

Hit follow and can't wait to share in your fun!
Thank you both for following along!

While we plan to have as much fun on Instagram as possible, I’ll definitely be writing a full report once we’re back!

meggo819

Less than 24 hours to go until our first leg of the trip to Anaheim. Checked into our two flights with good seats on both. This is one 4 am wake-up call I am very excited for.

For those of you with IG, please follow along as we plan to post as much as we can throughout the trip. Even talking about doing some live videos which we've never done there before. I apologize in advance for my very Kermit the Frog-like voice! We thought this would be an interesting opportunity to document the new travel process, especially for Canadians.

At any rate, if you want to join us, our handle on IG is @canadians_in_fantasyland
Ah man, I don’t have Instagram, but I do want to follow along. I might be the weirdo who gets an account just to follow your trip lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom