You Hate Everything About It, Yet You Still Go

Disneyhead'71

I stopped going. For a long time. My last trip to WDW was Jan 2013. My last trip to WDW before that was April 1999. My next trip to WDW is decades away. The resort has become pathetic and I actually spent most of my time there this past winter angry - not "screaming mad" angry, but "slow burn, simmering under the surface" angry.

I will still go to DLR from time to time (i live in the middle of the country and am similar distances from Orlando and Anaheim), but I've written off WDW. My family used to go every summer when I was kid. My parents snorted pixie dust in the 80s and early 90s. TDO has used up every ounce of goodwill it ever had with my family - I hope it was worth it.

And it's not like I can't afford to go. I still travel constantly. Only now it's to locations that respect me as a customer.

So, I suppose I reject the OP's premise.
My feelings exactly. I started going in '71. We travelled from WV every 3 years or so. And I now live in Orlando (blind luck, I did NOT move here because of WDW), and I only go when I can get in for free COMBINED with another reason like to hang with friendly spirits or I get free tickets to MNSSHP on my daughter's birthday. Just simply "free" won't get me down there. I can get 4 free tickets a year and I haven't taken then for the past 2 years.

And I try not to complain too much. But I do talk about Universal a lot because that's my new wife and I really like her. My ex is just that. I used to love her. I still care about her. But I would rather talk about my new love.

Last edited:

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
I'm having a deja vu moment and it ended badly. :devilish: Once you start lumping dissatisfaction, disappointment or complaints as HATE it changes the perception of people who honestly speak of their observations or experiences. It leads to angry and bitter disagreements over petty opinions. So I avoid labeling people as haters as it stirs the pot. The practice goes back to biblical times.

Proverbs-Hatred stirs up strife

Just my 2 cents, now we can all sing a chorus of kumbaya and burst into A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow...then we can all hold hands and skip afterwards. :happy:
Gabe dear you make an excellent point but for the purposes of choosing a short topic word I went with hate. Of course some folks don't truly hate it. I'd hope that people can see through the word to get to the point of the post. :)

That said... I got some awesome answers to what I was truly looking to understand (and updated the original post to link to my thanks for it). I think at this point the thread can be closed to prevent the inevitable mess that it can/will become. @wdwmagic your call! :)

ChevisMickey

Everyone has pretty much summed it up. I still enjoy WDW, just not to the degree I once did. I don't have issues with maintenance because I think considering the massiveness of WDW they do a pretty darn good job. Most of us remember, at least I do, a time when there was only one park (MK) and even then, if we took the time to blow the pixie dust out of our eyes, there were problems as well.

I hate that they close down attractions and then don't replace them with something of, at least equal, quality, if at all. I hate empty buildings whether they be attractions or restaurants. To me it makes it feel like it's dying, even though I know that financially it is doing just fine. I hate that the attitudes of the CM's have changed from years ago. It isn't in what they say or do, it is more of a vibe. That comes from stagnation. However, we must remember that just because all of a sudden Uni is adding a few attractions really shouldn't wipe out the fact that Disney has added two whole parks since Uni became a neighbor. They've got a way to go just to catch up.

I bothers me that people cannot see that. I have been in business long enough to know that you reach a saturation point concerning just how much money you can spend before you have to recoup your expense. Uni will reach that point again, I guarantee it. They talk a big deal but the first time the Comcast has to pull in the horns due to problems, even with other divisions, you will see that stop as well.

Those that just started going there, do not know the greatness that Epcot once was. The basically paved paradise and put up a parking lot. The new attractions are fine, Soarin, Test Track and Mission: Space (despite bad press) are great entertainment, but they never should have torn out what they had, they should have just added to it. There is plenty of room. DHS is nothing compared to what opened up. Perhaps what was there wasn't sustainable, but they sure didn't go out of their way to impress us with what they did do, other then ToT and RcRC. Neither Epcot or DHS currently has a mission or purpose, if you will. They are just plots of land with stuff on them. You new folks are not affected by all this because you don't know what was. That said, you shouldn't, because it is still a magical place and most of that magic comes from attitude.

My advice... Don't ever, ever, ever pay attention to others opinions. If you have been there and you like it then whatever we have to say is totally irrelevant to your experience. If you have never been don't ask, what should I make sure I see or what isn't worth it. No one else can decide that for you. What I may not like you will find to be better then sliced bread and what I like you might think is lame. You go and you make your own decisions as to how you feel and stick with it until you yourself find reason to change your mind, don't let any of us influence that. Remember our opinions are based on our point of view and shouldn't in anyway influence yours. You will either like it, hate it or just find it tolerable, but, sorry that is your decision not ours.

It only lets me "like" this once. If I could I would sticky this on every link on this forums! Thanks Goof:D

wendysue

Correct, I don't like to complain. Especially when it's Disney. I hold them to such a high standard because I grew up on DL and Disney. So imagine if you will, a guy that last went to DL in 1992 and goes to WDW in 2008 for the first time. He and his family are STUNNED at how empty it is and how well they are treated by the CMs. We even sprung for a second MNSSHP during that trip because it was so much fun. Rides are working, CMs are smiling, the whole fuzzy-tummy thing going on.

Now skip ahead 5 years. This guy and his family are getting ignored by 80% of the CMs and suits, rides are missing pieces, and the crowds are way out of control for the time of year. I realize that not everything is under Disney's control, but when you can barely move in Pecos Bills on a Thursday afternoon during "off season" yet there are 5 or more suits just hanging out for some event at Tortuga Tavern, you can see where the frustration comes from.

TL;DR

In short, if I didn't care about Disney then I wouldn't complain. I'd just say on it and quit going.

This is exactly what my husband and I said regarding the time between 06 and 12. We last visited in 2012, and had planned a couple trips in 2013 that didn't work out because of medical reasons, but now we don't want to go back at all. It's ok, we had some wonderful vacations there and will miss those times. But it's not the same, what with having to micromanage the entire vacation. We will not plan where we want to eat and what we want to ride 6 months out, not to mention having to decide and reserve where to stand for a parade. :arghh: Having to order your magic bands from home and reserve everything is ridiculous. I am mad as hell BECAUSE we loved it, and now they have ruined it. Just my opinion....

bethymouse

I must be extremely lucky to never have had a bad customer service experience at WDW. We have averaged about 2 trips per year since 2004, which is not as many as some on here but, more than enough to have some bad experiences. CM managers have always been accomodating even when we were doing or asking for things we maybe should not have been.
My biggest complaint are the other guests but, maybe that is just a reflection of our culture not WDW.
I agree 100%! Our best stay was at Saratoga Springs, and we are not DVC. The CMs there were wonderful and the Turf Club was delicious! The pools are outstanding! As for the parks, I ;)can see some decline, but for the most part we have never had any "real" complaints. I want to continue to visit WDW, but I do want to visit DL some day. Flights are ridiculous! WDW is just a place that I know we will enjoy! We don't go there looking for things that are wrong. We go to enjoy ourselves. Yes. I know they need improvements, but IMHO it's still the best place to go on a vacation besides the beach.

DManRightHere

I dont find disney world to be that expensive, I actually find it much cheaper than than other vacations.

Though I better say I only go when a discount is available, I drive there 9 hours, and I do not stay at monorail resorts (the most i've spent on hotel per night is $170, animal kingdom and boardwalk)

I guess my biggest complaint is the boardwalk, I know it is surrounded by deluxe hotels. But there us no good counter service on the entire place! The boardwalk look and setup is awesome, but no good late counter service! Plus the bus service really really stunk compared to port orleans and coronado which are medium resorts.

There is my complaint, but I know where you're coming from, I do not think things are that bad. For one example, people that say how bad the mine train ride will be (nowhere near an e- ticket) I have no opinion until I actually ride it. Also people saying how bad the fantasy land expansion is. It's not technically finished...

There is my rambling for the moment, leave my grammar alone, I did this all on my phone.

zjer

To me, WDW fans are similar to sports fans:

• The majority get their information from unreliable sources (thus making them unbearable to talk to).
  • The majority follow the popular sentiment at the time without making judgement on their own.
  • The majority have unrealistic expectations.
  • Then there is this minority that is so intertwined with the workings of the organization, they have destroyed the passion they once had and then spend their time attempting to sway the opinions of the rest of the fans in order to encourage them to see the world the way they do.

I have four teams I am passionate about and I follow them across the country. I usually see two NFL games a year, a dozen NBA games a year, a couple college football games a year, and a half dozen MLS games a year. However, with all that I surround myself in sports, I cannot stand the majority of the fans that follow these same teams.

I have two non-sports related vacation destinations - WDW and DL. I am within a five hour drive of Disneyland and a five hour flight of Disney World. I go to Disneyland probably 4-5 times a year and Disney World 1-2 times a year. To me, an uneducated insider, a disgruntled nostalgic traveler, or a binocular visitor who examines each crack and chip of paint for flaws, are no different then the sports fans I strive to distance myself from. I don't care how good my NFL team was in '85, it won't stop me from watching them today. I don't care how good WDW was in the 70's-80's, it won't stop me from going there twice this year.

The NFL is getting soft and my team hasn't won a Superbowl since '85. MLS will never be on the level of Premier League. NCAA Football is corrupt. The NBA is structured to favor the major markets and my team will never get a true shot at a championship. WDW and DL does not favor the same attention to detail and story telling as they did 20 years ago. I don't care. I only have one life to live. I'm not going to spend my time complaining about my sports teams, the leagues they play in, or the vacation destinations I love by boycotting them in some hope they will notice in my lifetime and change their decision making in a way that I approve of. I only have so many years to live, especially when my kids are young. I say go and enjoy yourself for what it is, or don't. Definitely voice your opinion if you have some constructive criticism, but just keep the constant complaining to a minimum. There are some of us trying to have a good time.

-->Insert smiley face to show we're all friends here<--

Californian Elitist

• The majority get their information from unreliable sources (thus making them unbearable to talk to).
  • The majority follow the popular sentiment at the time without making judgement on their own.
  • Then there is this minority that is so intertwined with the workings of the organization, they have destroyed the passion they once had and then spend their time attempting to sway the opinions of the rest of the fans in order to encourage them to see the world the way they do.

I have four teams I am passionate about and I follow them across the country. I usually see two NFL games a year, a dozen NBA games a year, a couple college football games a year, and a half dozen MLS games a year. However, with all that I surround myself in sports, I cannot stand the majority of the fans that follow these same teams.

I have two non-sports related vacation destinations - WDW and DL. I am within a five hour drive of Disneyland and a five hour flight of Disney World. I go to Disneyland probably 4-5 times a year and Disney World 1-2 times a year. To me, an uneducated insider, a disgruntled nostalgic traveler, or a binocular visitor who examines each crack and chip of paint for flaws, are no different then the sports fans I strive to distance myself from. I don't care how good my NFL team was in '85, it won't stop me from watching them today. I don't care how good WDW was in the 70's-80's, it won't stop me from going there twice this year.

The NFL is getting soft and my team hasn't won a Superbowl since '85. MLS will never be on the level of Premier League. NCAA Football is corrupt. The NBA is structured to favor the major markets and my team will never get a true shot at a championship. WDW and DL does not favor the same attention to detail and story telling as they did 20 years ago. I don't care. I only have one life to live. I'm not going to spend my time complaining about my sports teams, the leagues they play in, or the vacation destinations I love by boycotting them in some hope they will notice in my lifetime and change their decision making in a way that I approve of. I only have so many years to live, especially when my kids are young. I say go and enjoy yourself for what it is, or don't. Definitely voice your opinion if you have some constructive criticism, but just keep the constant complaining to a minimum. There are some of us trying to have a good time.

The only point of your four that I agree with is number one. Other than that one, the other three are ridiculous.

So people who want to be lovey dovey and don't criticize can do it all they want, but we have to keep criticism to a minimum? It doesn't work that way. What if there are some posters who enjoy the posters who criticize and the "pixie dust addicts" are the ones who are annoying? Would it be right for them to ask the "addicts" to keep their nice opinions to a minimum? No, just like it's not right for you to ask people to keep their criticism remarks to a minimum; this is a discussion board. If you're not having a good time, there are other places you could discuss. I'm sure DisBoards would be ideal.

zjer

...and the "pixie dust addicts" are the ones who are annoying?

I agree - they have unrealistic expectations.

the other three are ridiculous.

Keep in mind, it's a sports reference.

If you're not having a good time, there are other places you could discuss.

I've been coming here almost daily since 2004 but as you can see from my post count, I don't discuss much. I drop in, see if there is any new news coming down the pipe, browse through the predictable banter about wristbands or Avatar, and leave.

No, just like it's not right for you to ask people to keep their criticism remarks to a minimum;

I said constant complaining, not criticism.

Californian Elitist

I agree - they have unrealistic expectations.

Keep in mind, it's a sports reference.

I've been coming here almost daily since 2004 but as you can see from my post count, I don't discuss much. I drop in, see if there is any new news coming down the pipe, browse through the predictable banter about wristbands or Avatar, and leave.

I said constant complaining, not criticism.

Criticism and complaining are taken as the same thing here. What's worse is you've admitted you rarely drop by and you're asking people to stop doing what they do.

zjer

Criticism and complaining are taken as the same thing here. What's worse is you've admitted you rarely drop by and you're asking people to stop doing what they do.

Actually I said I've been dropping in daily since 2004, I just rarely enter into the debates.

Californian Elitist

Actually I said I've been dropping in daily since 2004, I just rarely enter into the debates.

Right, dropping in. You rarely take part in the discussions, which is my point. Regardless, it's not right for you to ask other posters to stop complaining/criticizing, just like it's not right for others to ask posters to quit giving compliments all the time, or anything of that nature.

zjer

it's not right for you to ask other posters to stop complaining/criticizing, just like it's not right for others to ask posters to quit giving compliments all the time, or anything of that nature.

I wasn't asking posters to stop - I was talking about fans in general which is why I included the sports reference. I didn't point out wdwmagic(dot)com anymore than I pointed out espn(dot)com. I was simply explaining other passions of mine (sports) that are in a systematic form of change (some might call it decline) and my desire to put all of the complaining and noise on the background so that I may enjoy what they offer today, not what they offered in the past. I am alive today, I will enjoy those products today (as they are), because I don't know what tomorrow will bring. What's the point of boycotting something I enjoy when for all I know, ravens will be picking the meat off my bones tomorrow?

darthspielberg

I often get fustrated with some of the posts I see here (recently, the MyMagic+ section has been blood boiling a few times) but everyone is entitled to their opinions. I don't understand it more often than not, but I am very much a Disney fan in the sense that I often don't think they do wrong. Heck, I even like Bob Iger. I am very biased towards the company, so I guess it goes both ways.

Californian Elitist

I wasn't asking posters to stop - I was talking about fans in general which is why I included the sports reference. I didn't point out wdwmagic(dot)com anymore than I pointed out espn(dot)com. I was simply explaining other passions of mine (sports) that are in a systematic form of change (some might call it decline) and my desire to put all of the complaining and noise on the background so that I may enjoy what they offer today, not what they offered in the past. I am alive today, I will enjoy those products today (as they are), because I don't know what tomorrow will bring. What's the point of boycotting something I enjoy when for all I know, ravens will be picking the meat off my bones tomorrow?

"Keep the constant complaining to a minimum."

That's not asking people to stop complaining a lot?

zjer

"Keep the constant complaining to a minimum."

That's not asking people to stop complaining a lot?

I suppose "stop complaining a lot" could be equivalent to "keep the constant complaining to a minimum" (one just has a slightly more negative connotation). Or as we say it here in the west, don't be such a buzz kill. Just remember, I prefaced that with "Definitely voice your opinion if you have some constructive criticism," then added "but just keep the constant complaining to a minimum" and I ended with "There are some of us trying to have a good time." I figured I would throw those back in the reply since you seem bent on picking my comment apart looking for some hidden meaning or secret jab considering you don't agree with what I said.

Now before you throw me in the "pixie dust" or "fanboi" category (since that is traditionally what comes next), there are definitely things I don't like about WDW or DL. I just accept most of them since I understand that WDW and DL are simply theme parks in the real world. I don't buy into the glittery idea that I am in some magical world outside of the world where I am literally being surrounded by the characters in an animated movie. I don't like characters to touch me, inside that costume is some sweaty College kid I don't know, not the real Piglet. I don't like paying $9 for a beer or $3 for a bottled water. I don't like the quality of most of the quick service food. However I accept that I am in a theme park that is serving food to 60,000 people and overcharging for drinks is a way to keep the doors open. Hell, I don't like being patted down in an NFL stadium or that last call is after 3rd quarter, but it is what it is and I am going to enjoy myself regardless. If someone is going to come up to me and start complaining that the bathrooms used to be cleaner in Soldier Field, I'm going to walk away. So in that aspect, I suppose you're right. If someone comes up to me after Illuminations and tells me that the fire was scaled back 15% because upper management hated the guests, I wouldn't say "stop complaining" or "keep the complaining to a minimum", I would just leave and ask my kid if he enjoyed the show.

Looks like you won.

ChevisMickey

Da Bears!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I have more of a concern for those who DONT "complain" when they see something they love so much (WDW) being turned into a corporate feeding frenzy of greed and corruption. Its getting old listening to people with the "if you dont like it, why do you keep going" attitude. For those who say that I can only assume your too lazy to notice whats happening or just fall in line with what your told to like. You are part of the problem, not the solution. Pleas get a six flags season pass and settle for mediocrity if thats what you like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom