You Hate Everything About It, Yet You Still Go

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I keep going back because my "sisters from other misters" go. We only get to see each other once a year and it's at Disney World.

We went to DisneyLand this year, and actually, I'd PREFER to go to DL over WDW right now.

jaklgreen

I must be strange because I LOVE WDW!! I never went as a child but started going in 2007 after my hubby and Igot married and have surpassed 27+ visits(lost count). WDW is my happy place and I try to go twice a year. Once with my family and I go solo for the F&WF. It is pricy but so are other vacations and you do not get even half the amount of entertainment that Disney gives you. Who else is going to pick you up/drop you off at the airport, bus you to all of their parks, water parks, shopping districts, etc. NOBODY! Not to mention that it is still the best place to go with all age groups where everyone can be entertained. I think a lot of people seem to forget or not think about all the services that Disney provides that are included in your costs. Are there some things I would change/bring back/get rid of, of course there are. But that is not enough to change the fact that you get a great vacation at WDW. We don't have to worry about driving in a strange city, or worry about driving around to find some place to eat. I feel completely safe at WDW and safe for my kids. That in itself is worth the price.

RoyWalley

I must be strange because I LOVE WDW!! I never went as a child but started going in 2007 after my hubby and Igot married and have surpassed 27+ visits(lost count). WDW is my happy place and I try to go twice a year. Once with my family and I go solo for the F&WF. It is pricy but so are other vacations and you do not get even half the amount of entertainment that Disney gives you. Who else is going to pick you up/drop you off at the airport, bus you to all of their parks, water parks, shopping districts, etc. NOBODY! Not to mention that it is still the best place to go with all age groups where everyone can be entertained. I think a lot of people seem to forget or not think about all the services that Disney provides that are included in your costs. Are there some things I would change/bring back/get rid of, of course there are. But that is not enough to change the fact that you get a great vacation at WDW. We don't have to worry about driving in a strange city, or worry about driving around to find some place to eat. I feel completely safe at WDW and safe for my kids. That in itself is worth the price.

Thank you! Well said, feel the same way, so i must be strange also.

draybook

People just like to complain, it's the society we live in today. People like to tear down what is at the top.

Goes for sports, enterntainment, where we live, schools, cars, etc. It's a no win situation.

Everyone have a "magical" day. :happy:

Some other site's like: Moms panel and Disney blog on Walt Disney World's web site are good site's to go to for Disney information.

Really?

So I like to complain about being told I can't go through the castle and that we HAVE to wait for the MSEP to finish before we can leave the park? I like to complain about the PoTC girl hardly acknowledging us instead of telling us which row to board on the boat?

Logic would tell me that I'd rather have a great time with great interaction with the CMs but I guess I just like to complain....

Runmyhorse

Really?

So I like to complain about being told I can't go through the castle and that we HAVE to wait for the MSEP to finish before we can leave the park? I like to complain about the PoTC girl hardly acknowledging us instead of telling us which row to board on the boat?

Logic would tell me that I'd rather have a great time with great interaction with the CMs but I guess I just like to complain....

Now draybook you know the ones who don't like to hear anything negative about wdw are the pixie snorters. Most people that have commented have given great reasons behind why they feel the way they do. It doesnt seem like they are complaining to just complain. If folks don't like the negative some have for disney then they are free to keep moving past that post.

Dragonrider1227

Although you make a point there, I don't think draybook falls under the type of person RoyWalley is talking about. There are lots of people out there that seem to only be happy when they have something to complain about. I don't mean just with Disney. I see these kinds of people everywhere!!! People that are just never satisfied. People that see to enjoy complaining. People who look for things to complain about. It doesn't sound to me like draybook is one of them, but they're out there.

jw24

Seems like every week, the topic of questioning fandom is always being brought up.

I think ultimately, a good majority of us love WDW in most aspects. But there are some aspects they don't like and wish that they were addressed and/or improved. And when action is not being taken to address the ongoing problems, we get frustrated, unhappy and we vent in numerous ways. (Comparing Disney to other theme parks, bringing up the prosperous past of what it once was, cut spending WDW vacation money and go elsewhere, etc.) But I do think ultimately, we all want a better park and a better vacation spot because it's our money that we are spending at Disney and there's a need to feel justified and satisfied for spending it.

3WaltFans

Now draybook you know the ones who don't like to hear anything negative about wdw are the pixie snorters. Most people that have commented have given great reasons behind why they feel the way they do. It doesnt seem like they are complaining to just complain. If folks don't like the negative some have for disney then they are free to keep moving past that post.

Call me a pixie snorter anytime. No problem with that.

3WaltFans

Seems like every week, the topic of questioning fandom is always being brought up.

I think ultimately, a good majority of us love WDW in most aspects. But there are some aspects they don't like and wish that they were addressed and/or improved. And when action is not being taken to address the ongoing problems, we get frustrated, unhappy and we vent in numerous ways. (Comparing Disney to other theme parks, bringing up the prosperous past of what it once was, cut spending WDW vacation money and go elsewhere, etc.) But I do think ultimately, we all want a better park and a better vacation spot because it's our money that we are spending at Disney and there's a need to feel justified and satisfied for spending it.

Nice post!

I also agree with Dragonrider1227, I don't think Roy Walley was talking about anyone in general, just making an observation.

mweier

i went 3x as a kid and then missed all the years between 1990 and 2013. So in our trip this past March, I returned to the parks with my pockets full of nostalgia and a whole lot of expectations that some things would have changed since the world itself has changed incredibly in those past 23 yrs.

Other than the price, I remained blissfully ignorant of the negatives. Maybe it was my prolonged break that made me appreciate it all the more, but I saw nearly nothing when I was there that annoyed me (other than my kids when they were crabby) and hundreds of things that delighted and amazed me to a level I haven't experienced in years. Maybe this means that I'm just easy to please, but our family has continued to reminisce about our last trip as being our favorite vacation since the kids were born, and our great experience is causing us to head back again in 121 days.

I think there's still plenty of magic for those who look for it. But I also assume that for people who've seen the RDA of magic grow, decline and flux over the years, they have had more opportunities to understand the subtle ways in which their "pockets full of nostalgia" are being pickpocketed or charged more each year. Fly too close to the sun for too long and you're bound to get a bit desensitized and/or burned.

If you put the whole experience in context, WDW faces the operational complexities of millions of consumers who have some of the highest experiential expectations and are paying some of the most expensive vacation price tags, all in a society that is changing technologically faster than ever before in history.

So long as I can experience things that aren't available anywhere else on earth, I'll keep coming back. But I don't doubt that WDW won't be the only place we go on vacations -- there's a whole big world out there to travel to outside of Orlando and theme parks. That said, I'm not interested in becoming a "pixie dust snorter" who willfully ignores the bad. I just choose to try to focus on the positive in life.

As most of my travels in the past 25 yrs have been to destinations other than disney and resorts, it's still miraculous to me to see how well WDW has engineered a group experience that overwhelmingly appeals to most visitors. I can't say the same for past trips elsewhere which often pale by comparison in terms of immersive experience and customer service.

""You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time"
-Abraham Lincoln

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I'm having a deja vu moment and it ended badly. :devilish: Once you start lumping dissatisfaction, disappointment or complaints as HATE it changes the perception of people who honestly speak of their observations or experiences. It leads to angry and bitter disagreements over petty opinions. So I avoid labeling people as haters as it stirs the pot. The practice goes back to biblical times.

Proverbs-Hatred stirs up strife

Just my 2 cents, now we can all sing a chorus of kumbaya and burst into A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow...then we can all hold hands and skip afterwards. :happy:

Susan Savia

There is nothing I Hate about Disney World. I don't like change and I didn't care for the Imagination refurbishment or Horizons and World of Motion being taken away and the Body Pavillion closing down. I miss the original Epcot loop music. Even so, it's not enough to make me not want to come back. For a few years every time my family visited Splash Mountain, it was shut for refurbishment, as it will be the next visit. I am not fond of the new Fantasyland, probably won't even bother going in that area. Once was enough. We will continue to come back every year as we have for some 30 years now. We have fun as a familiy, despite not everything being the way I'd like it to be.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

Well said.

And it isn't just here, it seems to be a go to snarly accusation that surfaces on most forums all too often. I've seen it end with members leaving forums forever. Questioning fandom is loaded and peeps tend to be defending themselves after they have been branded at Hater.

If my kids are bugging me, or I don't approve of what they have done, don't like how they just spent a pile of their money, does that translate to me Hating my kids? Don't think so.

NearTheEars

I love your enthusiasm and you do make a good point about transportation. It's an expensive vacation, but they do offer a lot of services.

NearTheEars

Although you make a point there, I don't think draybook falls under the type of person RoyWalley is talking about. There are lots of people out there that seem to only be happy when they have something to complain about. I don't mean just with Disney. I see these kinds of people everywhere!!! People that are just never satisfied. People that see to enjoy complaining. People who look for things to complain about. It doesn't sound to me like draybook is one of them, but they're out there.

I would agree. Draybook always offers an explanation about his complaints, not the typical "it's going downhill ... I hate TDO" generalizations we often see.

draybook

Correct, I don't like to complain. Especially when it's Disney. I hold them to such a high standard because I grew up on DL and Disney. So imagine if you will, a guy that last went to DL in 1992 and goes to WDW in 2008 for the first time. He and his family are STUNNED at how empty it is and how well they are treated by the CMs. We even sprung for a second MNSSHP during that trip because it was so much fun. Rides are working, CMs are smiling, the whole fuzzy-tummy thing going on.

Now skip ahead 5 years. This guy and his family are getting ignored by 80% of the CMs and suits, rides are missing pieces, and the crowds are way out of control for the time of year. I realize that not everything is under Disney's control, but when you can barely move in Pecos Bills on a Thursday afternoon during "off season" yet there are 5 or more suits just hanging out for some event at Tortuga Tavern, you can see where the frustration comes from.

TL;DR

In short, if I didn't care about Disney then I wouldn't complain. I'd just say on it and quit going.

Californian Elitist

Correct, I don't like to complain. Especially when it's Disney. I hold them to such a high standard because I grew up on DL and Disney. So imagine if you will, a guy that last went to DL in 1992 and goes to WDW in 2008 for the first time. He and his family are STUNNED at how empty it is and how well they are treated by the CMs. We even sprung for a second MNSSHP during that trip because it was so much fun. Rides are working, CMs are smiling, the whole fuzzy-tummy thing going on.

Now skip ahead 5 years. This guy and his family are getting ignored by 80% of the CMs and suits, rides are missing pieces, and the crowds are way out of control for the time of year. I realize that not everything is under Disney's control, but when you can barely move in Pecos Bills on a Thursday afternoon during "off season" yet there are 5 or more suits just hanging out for some event at Tortuga Tavern, you can see where the frustration comes from.

TL;DR

In short, if I didn't care about Disney then I wouldn't complain. I'd just say on it and quit going.

How come you haven't gone back to DL in so long? Just curious.

draybook

Well, from 92-08 I just honestly didn't think about Disney at all. Then I saw the "visit California" commercial with Vanessa Williams standing at Sleeping Beauty castle with Mickey and Minnie and I told my wife we had to take the kids to Disneyland or Disney World, her choice. She had been to WDW when she was 2 plus it's closer so WDW it was. We keep planning on going to DL but she's not too hip on the whole screening/pat down thing with the TSA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom