Yeti news

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That remark I made about heavy equipment dropping near Inspection Engineers - yeah, that was me. Bucket of a hoe came down about 2 feet from me because the crews on that site had lied to me, and told me they would not be backfilling until later that afternoon. I visited another site, and when I got back at around 11:00 they had placed pipe and had started backfilling. I made them take it all out. Turns out that they had not bedded the pipe and had just blown the fill (rocks and all) in around it.

I was the engineer on a site pad that was being built for a new Township Library. I was rejecting about every 4th load of fill because of organic material. The contractor complained to the town that I was holding up the job and that the library might not be open in time for the new school year and how would that look to the residents. Also, how much was the town paying my company to have me out there 10 hours a day. The town pulled me off the job. About a month later, as parts of the foundation were being poured, my boss calls me up and asked if I had seen the local newspaper. Big front page headline "What's Buried at the Town Library?". Some resident had seen them burying all sorts of junk, and thought they might be burying waste. We went out there with the contractor, the president of the Engineering firm I worked for, the towship managers and engineers, and the press, and my stack of records. We dug test pits all over the place. Everywhere we dug, where my records showed I was on site was perfect. Everywhere else we were digging up brush, tree stumps, and other assorted crap. That was a good day for me :)

-dave
Moments like that make the months full of headaches so worth it. The Klingon proverb "Revenge is a dish best served cold" certainly fits.

Wow! Very nice! But we're all just a bunch of idiots, right?
Yep. We don't know nuthen. We just sit in front of our computers and calculators all day.

inluvwithbeast

So this is kinda for my benefit just to see what I'm thinking down as words.

Let's say the bean counters as we like to call them run some sort of cost-benefit analysis. Here are what I see as the components.

Cost:
--The actual repair of the Yeti. From what Lee has said, no major bucks there. Wouldn't be horribly expensive or difficult. Sounds good.
--The loss of a major attraction in a park limited on big draws. This where we all get furious at Disney for refusing to give up those tickets that would be lost due to a refurb. But I think it's a bit more than that. They lose merch sales, food sales, ticket sales for AK, and maybe even guests shorten their stay. Maybe they choose to put off their trip even. Or you have cranky guests who have heard all about EE and are upset at the closure. Disney is a business and has to make money. They also have to keep customers satisfied. Now hold your arguments. I'm not done.

Benefits:
--the Yeti is fully functional!!! And only us hardcore fans and locals will ever really notice. And that's the problem. WDW services a lot of first-time and infrequent visitors. If they had the visitor base that DL did, it would be a different story. The Yeti is still there. If you had never seen it moving, you'd still think it was pretty cool.

This just how it seems to work out to me.

I guess the questions are - How many average people know that the Yeti is not working as intended? Is it worth it financially to shut down and spend the money based on those figures?

I've seen it in A mode and it was cool, and it would be nice if they would fix it - but it would also be at the cost of new vacationers to not even ride it at all. Somethings better than nothing...until they decide otherwise. I imangineer it'll be awhile.

Either way, Im looking forward to riding it several times in 37 days. :D

"My fellow nerds and I will retire to the nerdery with our calculators"

GLaDOS

That is correct.
Capacity may be a wee bit better, but not a lot. It has a long queue, so perhaps waiting will be entertaining.:shrug:

It better have the most entertaining queue ever. Because I bet the lines are going to be crazy long for that puppy. And if it's as reliable as Test Track, they're gonna have a problem.:lol:

RSoxNo1

I read posts like the above avidly, hoping to understand just how something could have gone so wrong with the Yeti. It's just unfathomable to me how such a massive error could have occurred, given that the people who built it are (presumably) the same people made an elevator in the Tower of Terror go forwards as well as up and down, with people riding in it, and did it successfully, and there have been no major breakdowns yet (so far as I know). I mean, talk about physics and gravitational force and so on - the wear and tear those elevators must go through - yet they're an astounding success. I just don't get the yeti breakdown at all...

They did have issues with Tower of Terror blowing out the walls (or was it windows) in the basement when the elevator would drop. I don't remember all the particulars, but it was something discovered during some sort of testing.

I work at Test Track and I can tell you our hourly capacity is higher than 1200. We'll be at 1200 if we have the minimal amount of cars on the track and it's a slow day. We're typically in the 1400s (or if the crew is on top of their game we'll be in the 1500s).

As for the ride system itself, the track is divided up into zones and the cars have to be more than 2 zones apart at all times. So the capacity is fairly set. I'm assuming that with the trasfer tracks incorporated into the ride itself instead of being used for storage, the ride's capacity will be hurt a little. Therfore I would guess that the ride will have a capacity close to TT's.

What is the capacity in the manual? Usually that's exceeded, right?

It better have the most entertaining queue ever. Because I bet the lines are going to be crazy long for that puppy. And if it's as reliable as Test Track, they're gonna have a problem.:lol:

The park does have a lower attendance than Epcot. If you look at their version of Toy Story Mania, the waits are often more than half the waits they have in Florida. Part of that is Fastpass, but not all of it.

Having said that, by all accounts Radiator Springs Racers will likely be the Temple of the Forbidden Eye to Test Track's Dinosaur.

GLaDOS

The park does have a lower attendance than Epcot. If you look at their version of Toy Story Mania, the waits are often more than half the waits they have in Florida. Part of that is Fastpass, but not all of it.

Having said that, by all accounts Radiator Springs Racers will likely be the Temple of the Forbidden Eye to Test Track's Dinosaur.

Sure, as of now it has a lower attendance. But once all the additions are done?

Who knows, it may get close.:shrug:

Tom

Beta Return

Let's say the bean counters as we like to call them run some sort of cost-benefit analysis. Here are what I see as the components.

Cost:
--The actual repair of the Yeti. From what Lee has said, no major bucks there. Wouldn't be horribly expensive or difficult. Sounds good.
--The loss of a major attraction in a park limited on big draws. This where we all get furious at Disney for refusing to give up those tickets that would be lost due to a refurb. But I think it's a bit more than that. They lose merch sales, food sales, ticket sales for AK, and maybe even guests shorten their stay. Maybe they choose to put off their trip even. Or you have cranky guests who have heard all about EE and are upset at the closure. Disney is a business and has to make money. They also have to keep customers satisfied. Now hold your arguments. I'm not done.

Benefits:
--the Yeti is fully functional!!! And only us hardcore fans and locals will ever really notice. And that's the problem. WDW services a lot of first-time and infrequent visitors. If they had the visitor base that DL did, it would be a different story. The Yeti is still there. If you had never seen it moving, you'd still think it was pretty cool.

I follow, and agree. While I personally don't believe the cost of the "fix" will be all that cheap (relatively speaking), it still doesn't outweigh the losses they'll realize by closing EE for any period of time. They need another E-ticket to offset that loss.

They did have issues with Tower of Terror blowing out the walls (or was it windows) in the basement when the elevator would drop. I don't remember all the particulars, but it was something discovered during some sort of testing.

I was going to bring this up in a previous post, but I'd already typed too much :lol:

They did indeed have issues of walls/doors being blown out in the drop shafts due to the pressure. They had to cut in relief vents. Fortunately, it was a relatively simple (and cheap) fix, and didn't affect guests. Can't say the same thing for the poor Yeti.

CDMagic

What is the capacity in the manual? Usually that's exceeded, right?

In the mini take-home manual I have it shows 1611 as the maximum capacity, which seems like a strange since the number is not divisble by 6.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
In the mini take-home manual I have it shows 1611 as the maximum capacity, which seems like a strange since the number is not divisble by 6.

Is that maximum capacity in the building at one time? If so, why would "divisible by 6" be a factor?

RSoxNo1

Thanks again for the info. How does Disney reference it, does it have a target hourly capacity and then the maximum? You said you regularly fall into the 1400-1500 range, do you get incentives or disincentives to meet certain hourly capacity objectives?

aka_emilicious

If I remember correctly, the walls still bend a bit. Not where the guests are, but they do (for lack of a better term) breathe with the elevators.

unkadug

The number of people in each ride vehicle... 6 guests per car...

After a little research I found that EE has a theoretical hourly capacity of 1850 people. So the number is all dependent upon the length of time it take from dispatch until exiting the vehicle within an hour. The number would have nothing to do with "6", as it is a factor of time and not of how many people are in the vehicle in one run.

CDMagic

Is that maximum capacity in the building at one time? If so, why would "divisible by 6" be a factor?

It's the maximum hourly capacity for the attraction, not the building. Therefore, since the cars hold six guests each, the maximum capacity (meaning that each seat would have to be filled) should be divisible by 6.

Also, TT experiences quiet a large amount of downtime so we don't worry about meeting the hourly capacity objectives as much as other attractions do, I'm sure.

flavious27

Cost:

Benefits:

They can balance out EE being down for awhile by adding another exciting ride that won't break the bank, maybe something dragon based to get that theme off the ground.

flavious27

Key word being rollercoaster.
It is easily the most expensive coaster, but not most expensive ride.
As I said, ToT in Tokyo holds that mark until RSR opens.

25 billion yen, about 191 million usd, I stand corrected; that is alot of money for a single attraction. RSR's budget is insane, but disney is trying all they can to get ca to attract more guests.

unkadug

It's the maximum hourly capacity for the attraction, not the building. Therefore, since the cars hold six guests each, the maximum capacity (meaning that each seat would have to be filled) should be divisible by 6.

Also, TT experiences quiet a large amount of downtime so we don't worry about meeting the hourly capacity objectives as much as other attractions do, I'm sure.
see the post right above your's(or posted again below). The amount of people in a car has nothing to do with the Hourly Capacity being divisble by 6. Ask a math teacher.
After a little research I found that EE has a theoretical hourly capacity of 1850 people. So the number is all dependent upon the length of time it take from dispatch until exiting the vehicle within an hour. The number would have nothing to do with "6", as it is a factor of time and not of how many people are in the vehicle in one run.

CDMagic

see the post right above your's(or posted again below). The amount of people in a car has nothing to do with the Hourly Capacity being divisble by 6. Ask a math teacher.

What exactly did being rude and telling me to "Ask a math teacher" accomplish? I'm just providing you with information, there is no need for you to be combative. Maybe if you would have explained yourself a little better, since I was obviously not the only one confused by what your statement, your point would have been clear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom