Yeti news

wizards8507

Original Poster
Nothing terribly new but here it is, from a reliable source. I have my own reasons for not revealing that source but here you go:

The yeti will never, ever, ever, ever be in full-blown "A" mode again. The cost to do so would be astronomically expensive and it's just not going to happen. That being said, they are working on some sort of "halfsie" mode that is somewhere in between true "A" mode and the stationary "B" mode. I think this is what most people assumed would be the yeti's ultimate fate, but this information is on good authority from someone high in Parks & Resorts.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Nothing terribly new but here it is, from a reliable source. I have my own reasons for not revealing that source but here you go:

The yeti will never, ever, ever, ever be in full-blown "A" mode again. The cost to do so would be astronomically expensive and it's just not going to happen. That being said, they are working on some sort of "halfsie" mode that is somewhere in between true "A" mode and the stationary "B" mode. I think this is what most people assumed would be the yeti's ultimate fate, but this information is on good authority from someone high in Parks & Resorts.

Well, if true (and no disrespect intended to your source or anything), then I doubt anyone here would be terribly surprised.....

inluvwithbeast

My own father, who occasionally stumbles upon Disney Blogs, told me he read that they would never be able to completely fix the Yeti. So, yes with wm49rs, we pretty much all knew this in a way.

wizards8507

Original Poster
My own father, who occasionally stumbles upon Disney Blogs, told me he read that they would never be able to completely fix the Yeti. So, yes with wm49rs, we pretty much all knew this in a way.

Yeah I know it's no grand revelation, but it was nice for me to get the answer from the horse's mouth to eliminate any doubt one way or the other.

Lee

Adventurer
I don't believe for a second that it's too expensive to fix.

I do believe that they are so cheap that they'll take the cheap way out and settle for a half measure.

Total and complete fail.
Those responsible should be fired

mitchk

I'm so glad I got to see the A-Mode many, many, times (and 2 videos),. I hope they can do something to make it more than just the "Disco Yeti", But I think all the people involved in making that figure should be in a lot of trouble :shrug: That's a lot of money down the drain :(

NoChesterHester

I do believe that they are so cheap that they'll take the cheap way out and settle for a half measure.

Total and complete fail.

Lee is fired up. He is right.

The Yeti is THE headliner for a park that doesn't have anything else. FIX IT!

I strongly believe this "astronomically expensive" fix has to do with shutting down the attraction for an extended period of time. The probable attendance drop is the real expense in the fix.

Highly dissapointing.

MKCP 1985

Total and complete fail.

Honestly. I have to admit I got caught up in the hype when Everest opened and was lucky enough to be able to see it in soft openings - a week before the ride photos were installed. I thought it was an awesome Disney coaster and people were applauding when the train pulled into the station at the end.

I feel sorry for those who never were able to experience the ride as it was imagined. And I feel very little motivation to return to this park if they decide not to restore the ride to what it should be. :shrug:

askmike1

I don't believe the reasoning and I don't believe the result. Will the Yeti move as it originally did anytime soon? No. It may be years before it gets restored, but it will eventually.

But to say it will never ever run again... that's like when they said Disney would never ever do a hand-drawn movie again... or when John Lasseter used to say how Pixar will never ever do sequels to their movies, there are countless examples of how never ever eventually turns into 'well... okay'... just takes time.

Tom

Beta Return
I don't believe this, sorry.

I do. Not necessarily the OP/source, but the fact that we'll probably never see him in A mode again.

Right. Nothing is impossible...for the right price.

I strongly believe this "astronomically expensive" fix has to do with shutting down the attraction for an extended period of time. The probable attendance drop is the real expense in the fix.

Exactly. Maybe, just maybe, if they add some attractions to AK some day, they might, possibly - but ever so unlikely - shut down EE and apply a real fix. But I'm not sure I'll still be alive when all of these stars align.

ttalovebug

This is a complete and total embarassment. This news isn't really a shock, but seeing the facts laid out so plainly really makes my blood boil. It shows just how little they care (whoever "they" are, I'm not up to date with the politics). This whole thing is infuriating and beyond disappointing.

If this news is pretty much set in stone, I think it should be reported on. This is management at its worst, and the maybe the worst "show" we've ever seen at WDW. To any reporters/columnists who read this forum, I think this story needs to continue to be brought to light. Disney's not going to do anything to fix the problems at the parks until something tarnishes their name.

wizards8507

Original Poster

Lee, you certainly have more inside information than I would ever claim (probably more than anyone on this board), but I have to disagree with you here. Remember, it's not just the cost of fixing the Yeti to it's original, unbroken state. They have to first get it to that point and THEN completely fortify the structure so that the same problems don't reoccur. With the structures intertwining the way they do, I just don't see how it's feasible.

Lee

Adventurer
Remember, it's not just the cost of fixing the Yeti to it's original, unbroken state. They have to first get it to that point and THEN completely fortify the structure so that the same problems don't reoccur. With the structures intertwining the way they do, I just don't see how it's feasible.
Oh, it's extremely feasible. They know exactly how to do it. People with knowledge of such things have told me so. It's only a matter of being willing to:
A) Close the ride for a couple of months
and
B) Write a check, and not one as big as you might think.

Neither of those things are "feasible" to management. Show is not important to them these days. They are more concerned about a loss of attendance (which wouldn't be a problem if the park had been properly developed over the last 12 years), and the hit to their budget.
I say again, anyone in WDW management who puts either of those factors ahead of good, quality show (which still comes before "efficiency") has no business working for Disney.

I expect their resignations on my desk by 5pm tomorrow. They can go "spend more time with their family."

Tom

Beta Return
Lee, you certainly have more inside information than I would ever claim (probably more than anyone on this board), but I have to disagree with you here. Remember, it's not just the cost of fixing the Yeti to it's original, unbroken state. They have to first get it to that point and THEN completely fortify the structure so that the same problems don't reoccur. With the structures intertwining the way they do, I just don't see how it's feasible.

Lee is right. It's not too expensive to fix, because of what I said above: "Nothing is impossible, for the right price."

It is, however, impractical to fix, for the reasons you stated...plus the logistics of shutting down one of the park's few attractions for months.

MarkTwain

Oh, it's extremely feasible. They know exactly how to do it. People with knowledge of such things have told me so. It's only a matter of being willing to:
and

Neither of those things are "feasible" to management. Show is not important to them these days. They are more concerned about a loss of attendance (which wouldn't be a problem if the park had been properly developed over the last 12 years), and the hit to their budget.
I say again, anyone in WDW management who puts either of those factors ahead of good, quality show (which still comes before "efficiency") has no business working for Disney.

I expect their resignations on my desk by 5pm tomorrow. They can go "spend more time with their family."

kaneklapqo6.gif

Tom

Beta Return
and

What you said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom