Yeti Malfunction

imagineerfan

Original Poster
Hello Everyone, my apologies if this has been mentioned before, I haven't been reading the everest posts very closely because I haven't been able to ride it yet. Anyway, I heard from a friend of mine that when the Yeti is not working, they simply blow a fan behind its head. Is there any truth to this rumor?
Thanks

Dan

napnet

I think i saw this on Jim Hill that if its having a problem they use fans and strobes to atleast make it look like its moving so your ride experience wont be ruined.

And that (According to WDI insiders) is what recently happened with the Yeti. This AA figure broke while the attraction was in operation. And -- rather than entirely shut down "Expedition Everest" down for the day -- the ride's operation staff just shifted this AA figure from its A mode (A = Animated) to B mode (B = Broken).

This means that the computer automatically shifts the Yeti into a particularly frightening pose, then shuts down this Audio Animatronic figure entirely. The theatrical lighting in the attraction's finale sequence is then turned off (So that "EE" riders won't be able to see the Yeti from a distance and then realize that this AA figure isn't actually moving). Then -- through a combination of that strobe lighting effect and a series of fans that blow the Yeti's fur -- the Imagineers create the illusion that the Yeti is still moving, that this fearsome creature is about to attack your train.

Okay. Obviously this isn't the effect that anyone really wants to see when they're riding "Expedition Everest." They want to see a brightly-lit, fast-moving Yeti that dramatically swipes at their car as they barrel through Forbidden Mountain.

But -- on the other hand -- by having a B mode for this Audio Animatronic figure ... That at least allows Disney to continue to operate "Expedition Everest" on days when the Yet is being balky. Which means that thousands of WDW visitors then don't have to go away disappointed because they weren't allowed to experience DAK's newest attraction. All because a single AA figure wasn't working.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1853

Testtrack321

What you heard was a "B" show the Yeti runs. Since he's not the main focus of the ride, if the Yeti malfunctions he'll go into the B mode. This mode puts him into a stationary stance, then they'll use strobes and blasts of air the make if feel like he's moving/working. Maintainance will fix it overnight for the next day.

e4ymod

napnet said:
I think i saw this on Jim Hill that if its having a problem they use fans and strobes to atleast make it look like its moving so your ride experience wont be ruined.
Not just so that the experience won't be ruined, but also so that the ride doesn't have to go 101 if the yeti breaks.

Ducky_Love

Last night at an after hours event they had the strobe light flashing AND the Yeti was moving. Quite impressive! With the light flashing and movement he seemed bigger and like he was grabbing closer to the train. AMAZING! I hope this effect stays for the finished ride.

XSTech

What Jim Hill wrote sounds oddly familiar... as if he took it straight from my report on Inside the Magic Show #42.5 after my conversation with Imagineer Steve Burns... hmmm... ;)

Head to my site, hit the show archive, and listen to show #42.5. You'll hear exactly what goes on in the "B" show for the Yeti.

Epcot82Guy

Really nitpicky question. Where does the "source" of the light come from in B Mode? Is it just generally placed or have they made it look like tunnel lights are flickering?

jr06compmaster

i rode EE on february 17th, and I thought something was up with the yeti. The final time inside the mountain we only had a short glimpse of the yeti and it didn't seem like it was moving much, if at all. I assume it was in B mode then and i didn't really get to see the true yeti swiping action.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
XSTech said:
What Jim Hill wrote sounds oddly familiar... as if he took it straight from my report on Inside the Magic Show #42.5 after my conversation with Imagineer Steve Burns... hmmm... ;)

Head to my site, hit the show archive, and listen to show #42.5. You'll hear exactly what goes on in the "B" show for the Yeti.

Imagine that. Jim Hill taking liberty with information.....

CTXRover

jr06compmaster said:
what does b mode of ROTM consist of? when i was in orlando feb 11-19 i rode EE and ROTM.

On ROTM, their back-up version kicks in when the first Imhotep animatronic isn't working,. When that happens in that first scene, a projection of Imhotep's face is projected on the sarcophagus he usually pops out of.

tnemgif

ROTM was a kind of dissappointing ride after all the hype for it in my opinion. The effects were pretty lame although the coaster was pretty cool so you probably didn't miss much by seeing only the B mode. The queue for ROTM was pretty lame too. I think E:E has a 10 to 1 chance of kicking ROTM's butt.

Lunamis

CTXRover said:
On ROTM, their back-up version kicks in when the first Imhotep animatronic isn't working,. When that happens in that first scene, a projection of Imhotep's face is projected on the sarcophagus he usually pops out of.

I had that the first time I went on the ride. When he came out later in the day I was so surprised. My mom freaked out because I told her it was only a projection-nothing moving. (she didn't go on the first time):p

DisneyJill

drumbum67 said:
ROTM was a kind of dissappointing ride after all the hype for it in my opinion. The effects were pretty lame although the coaster was pretty cool so you probably didn't miss much by seeing only the B mode. The queue for ROTM was pretty lame too. I think E:E has a 10 to 1 chance of kicking ROTM's butt.
'

The queue for ROTM is like 10 miles long. I hate trekking thru there. :rolleyes:

Tuddle

nerdboyrockstar said:
I just rode B-mode of "Revenge of the Mummy" on Saturday. I guess these are the only attractions that have this, huh?

same here, the first time that screen moved and the mummy had a sheet over him, kinda weird:zipit:

DroPZ0nE

Revenge of the Mummy definately the longest line ever for a ride haha ... but i love the ride... never seen the b mode of a ride yet so hopefully one day i will get the chance

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom