Yet Another Reason Why Mann's Chinese Theatre is Now Blocked at MGM

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by bearboysnc
regarding that last picture....

Let's discuss the difference between a "replica" and an "artistic representation"

OK OK OK...I used the WRONG word...I apologize to everyone :)

but...is it or is it not a REPRESENTATION of the Chinese Theater?
You're right...artistic representation is a better definition of it.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by leeocean
Looks cheap to me.

Very true...and that's because 6 flags puts their money into RIDES and COASTERS not THEMING! But...think about it...do coasters help attendance??? Maybe for the FIRST year that it opens but I don't feel like a coaster will pick up a slumping theme park (in the long run).

Just like Superman:Ride of Steel at SFNE...New coaster goes in and attendance SKYROCKETS...but...the second year when NO NEW coasters went in...it evened RIGHT BACK out. Now...a Batman coaster just opened...and attendance has Skyrocketed again... Because of this...we get parks like Six Flags...and they are all the same, big parking lots with a lot of steel beams jetting into the sky (not very attractive)

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
The replica at Movie World looks exactly like our version--it is an exact replica. My point was with replica's of this theatre popping up in different places, Disney probably realized that people would no longer connect a picture of this theatre with Disney. That hat, however, is undenyably Disney. This park also seems to be copying Islands of Adventure with its "DC Comics Superhero World". The thing is...if Islands of Adventure didn't have Spidey, I might go so far as to say this new park is better. It certainly has more rides. Another thing I noticed...Six Flags is starting to try "hiding" speakers like Disney--I went to Six Flags Worlds of Adventure last year, and speakers were hidden in some of the rocks...

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by DogsRule!
The replica at Movie World looks exactly like our version--it is an exact replica. My point was with replica's of this theatre popping up in different places, Disney probably realized that people would no longer connect a picture of this theatre with Disney. That hat, however, is undenyably Disney. This park also seems to be copying Islands of Adventure with its "DC Comics Superhero World". The thing is...if Islands of Adventure didn't have Spidey, I might go so far as to say this new park is better. It certainly has more rides. Another thing I noticed...Six Flags is starting to try "hiding" speakers like Disney--I went to Six Flags Worlds of Adventure last year, and speakers were hidden in some of the rocks...

I know what you're saying DogsRule...believe me.
To tell you the truth...I would've LOVED if Universal did a WHOLE park on Superheroes...Marvel has enough of them!

And yes, I have the same feeling about 6 flags and IoA...
IoA has Spidey and a really good coaster...and that's about it in their superhero land.
SFNE has 2 great coasters now, and a bunch of smaller rides and an Batman action show (good for the kids but really cheesy to adults)

pheneix

>>>Disney probably realized that people would no longer connect a picture of this theatre with Disney.<<<

They shouldn't connect a picture of the Chinese Theater with Disney at all, as Hollywood is the where the original is located.

>>>I went to Six Flags Worlds of Adventure last year, and speakers were hidden in some of the rocks...<<<

Isn't this the park that consumed Sea World Ohio a couple of years ago? That may have been some of the remains of Busch's work.

DisneyKrazed

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
I hate to admit it...but the 6 flags New England actually looks like they are trying to THEME it... SCARY...but true

They have an old west section (ok, so there are off-the-shelf rides all over the park...) but they're trying

Like Sketch said, a Bugs Bunny land

A SuperHero Land

(I just hate going to 6 flags because they are ALL SOOOO SUBPAR compared to WDW (I'm just spoiled :) ))

West section???? Don't know what the hell your talking about. However the DC Land and the 50's area is great theming for a Six Flags park. Still no comparison to Disney but hell, no one can match them ;).

the_snow_prince

I hope that's not the reason they've hidden the Chinese Theater like that. That's just rediculous. Still hoping the Hat is just temporary and we'll get the Hollywood that never was back insteed of Sorcereor Mickey's hatrack.

Sketch105

Originally posted by DisneyKrazed

West section???? Don't know what the hell your talking about. However the DC Land and the 50's area is great theming for a Six Flags park. Still no comparison to Disney but hell, no one can match them ;).

DIsney Krazed, its just left of the entrance. Its called CRACK AXLE CANYON OR SOMETHING like that. This is where the Tomahawk and Houdini rides are.

WDWManic

I still don't see the point of why they put the Sorcerors Hat in front of the Theatre. It just ruins the image of that walk to the Theatre. Are they moving it, or taking it down?

Sketch105

1. Just because they put a big hat in doesn't mean its going to be change. It could, but that's just our ASSSUMPTION.

2. The AVERAGE theme-park-goer doesn't know what the heck TOKYO DISNEY SEAS is. What makes you think they know about somethiing in Spain?????

3. WB/Six Flags built a theme park. Whoop-de-doo. WHen they build a TOKYO DISNEY SEAS Copy, wake me up..

pheneix

>>>I still don't see the point of why they put the Sorcerors Hat in front of the Theatre<<<

There aren't many who do.

>>>It just ruins the image of that walk to the Theatre.<<<

Amen brother! :)

RM 34478

The reason for the hat placement is that it is the center and focal point of MGM/Disney Studios. The host of this event. That is the same reason the castle in magic kingdom was a birthday cake. Host park, focal point. duh!! I tell ya what, maybe they should have made Space Mountain into a birthday treat? See what I mean??

RM 34478

By the way Disney buffs. Does anyone no where my avitar came form? I can tell you I payed heavily to get it off ebay! For those of you who know it in a second, I don't mean to insult your knowledge. I'm just having fun!!

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
A. The hat is permanent.
B. Many Disney guests come from Europe, and they would know of this new park.
C. If you don't care that Six Flags built a new park, fine. Don't post on this thread then.
D. This post seems to have looped around to people wondering why the hat is where it is; I offered a reason--one does not associate Mann's Chinese Theatre with Disney, therefore it does not function as a good park icon. Thus we have a new park icon that you can see from both inside and outside the park. The Earfel Tower is plagued by its bad location where it is tough to find, so it also does not function well as a park icon. This new hat, however, is undenyably Disney, is in the perfect location for an icon, and it is larger than life like the other icons. A second reason for its location is that it simply would not fit elsewhere--there are no other big openings in the park.

Archie the Cat

My problem with the hat isn't so much with the look of it, rather the point. You build new attractions, put on news shows, and so forth to bring in new customers. A giant hat at the center of The Disney-MGM Studios isn't going to woo the masses to see the big thirty million dollar hat. Furthermore, if the focus is so keen on making a non-Disney property not the focalpoint anylonger (the Chinese Theater), well the name Disney-MGM Studios itself gives half the credit to a company that Disney merely licensed movie properties for the park. That's absurd.

The company fails to invest in the parks, reduces hours, I can go on and on, but they can inject the money to build a store in a hat. That goes right along with the giant Epcot wand. I assume that the mighty executives at this point believe that the public is so braindead, that we need to be told the name of the park in several story high letters before entering. :D

pheneix

>>>offered a reason--one does not associate Mann's Chinese Theatre with Disney, therefore it does not function as a good park icon<<<

The area is themed to HOLLYWOOD. Why would people want to see a garish structure glorifying Disney in an area themed to the old Hollywood (at a time when Fantasia was another one of Walt's dreams, mind you) that never was back in the 30's? It is one thing to put something like that in Fantasyland, which is devoted to all things magical and Disney, but Hollywood? Uh, no. It would be like Universal dropping another globe in front of Terminator 2 in the Studios. Sure, it would remind people of Universal, but wouldn't it be tacky as hell? Same thing goes with the hat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom