Yet Another Reason Why Mann's Chinese Theatre is Now Blocked at MGM

pheneix

You've got me on that one. I think it was from Horizons, but I remember an announcement in the queue of Star Tours that sounded like that.

Looks like it is time for me to drag out the video of Horizons again...

RM 34478

I think I have you on this one. It goes way way back to the book, " Walt Disney's Epcot Center- Creating the New World of Tomorrow." It is on page 68 describing the soon to be "Horizons, presented by General Electric." It was to be said on the over head public address system. If you are a fan of Horizons, or Epcot of early, this is a must have book. Many die hard Epcot fans will tell you the same. The photos of construction are worth it alone. If I remenber correctly, I payed $10 for my copy off ebay!! Well worth the cost!!

pheneix

>>>Many die hard Epcot fans will tell you the same.<<<

Ditto! I've got that one locked up in a safe because it means so much to me. ;)

>>>If I remenber correctly, I payed $10 for my copy off ebay!! Well worth the cost!!<<<

Only $10? That book is worth much more than that.

RM 34478

You're right!! I call it a bargain!! Lots of info and great pics. Makes me wish for the EPCOT Center of old. Where every Future World Pavillion had a symbol and a purpose!! Almost makes me wish for when Disney World meant Magic Kingdom and Tomorrow Land meant Michael Iceburg!!!!!

STGRhost

Still hoping the Hat is just temporary and we'll get the Hollywood that never was back insteed of Sorcereor Mickey's hatrack.

It just ruins the image of that walk to the Theatre. Are they moving it, or taking it down?

The reason for the hat placement is that it is the center and focal point of MGM/Disney Studios. The host of this event. That is the same reason the castle in magic kingdom was a birthday cake. Host park, focal point. duh!!

ARGH!! THE HAT IS PERMANENT! It is the new icon of the Disney-MGM Studios! Yes, it was unveiled as a part of the 100YoM celebration (and touted, in some places as an "attraction"...) but UNLIKE the big, pink cake, it is there to stay. The first...I don't remember, 2 or 3 months of construction was all foundation work - they don't work that hard on something they'll take down in 16 months... (wasn't the cake inflatable? I arrrived AFTER 25th anniversary) I don't mean to offend anyone, but I ~KNOW~ other people have posted the same thing I have. This is NO rumor - The Company ittself has said the same thing (in press releases, internal memos, etc..) So, please don't start holding your breathe until they change it back...you won't last that long....

pheneix

>>>(wasn't the cake inflatable? I arrrived AFTER 25th anniversary)<<<

Some of it was. I think it just pink paint and plastic for the most part.

Mr.Nutz

Originally posted by STGRhost

they don't work that hard on something they'll take down in 16 months... (wasn't the cake inflatable? I arrrived AFTER 25th anniversary)

Nope. It took them about a year (?) to turn the castle into that eyesore of a cake. First they painted the whole thing pink, and then added all the pieces on. The whole area was an eyesore with huge cranes and scaffolding for ages.

I'm not saying the hat isn't permanent, I'm saying that just because it takes them a while to construct doesn't mean it won't be there more than a year, ie. the cake.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Most people like that Hat...it looks amazing at night...

It is a well-known fact that disney has tried and tried again to drop the "MGM" part to the studio's name...I'm fairly certain this park will be called "The Walt Disney Studios Florida" soon enough...

This park is Hollywood with that special Disney touch...the hat reminds us of that just like the wand at Epcot reminded us that the park was Disney's view of the future.

If you want to tie the hat to movies, see it as that larger-than-life feel that movies often give viewers.

Just don't ask me if there is a five-hundred foot Mickey buried under the hat...:)

pheneix

>>>the wand at Epcot reminded us that the park of Disney's view of the future.<<<

Disney's view of the future is pretty bleak then.

the_snow_prince

Originally posted by pheneix
>>>the wand at Epcot reminded us that the park of Disney's view of the future.<<<

Disney's view of the future is pretty bleak then.

To me, the wand represents the new direction Disney is trying to take Epcot. First, it's more fanciful and also definatly Disney, something some have complained about being missing at the park. Second, it adds some amount of both color and action to what is truly the boring white buildings of Future World's Innoventions area. Test Track, Mission: Space, and Imagination are also seem to be going in that direction visually.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by the_snow_prince

To me, the wand represents the new direction Disney is trying to take Epcot. First, it's more fanciful and also definatly Disney, something some have complained about being missing at the park. Second, it adds some amount of both color and action to what is truly the boring white buildings of Future World's Innoventions area. Test Track, Mission: Space, and Imagination are also seem to be going in that direction visually.

I agree with you about the Disney feel that they are TRYING to accomplish...but I have a couple of things to say about the "wand"

I am an architecture student...almost done :) and I have to say that Spaceship Earth as a "BUILDING" is a marvel in the building industry! A 16 story GEOSPHERE that is RAISED OFF OF GROUND LEVEL that has a complete internal gutter system and is still to this day EXTREMELY MODERN LOOKING is incredible!!! The sleek design and "tomorrow-look" about it just gets ruined by the hunks of steel that they slapped around it. I do like the fact that they are doing things to the "icons" for the celebrations but like the cake, it should've been taken down afterwards. There are DIFFERENT ways to modernize buildings and make them more pleasing to the eye than slapping "cheap" looking extras to them.

Look at Mission Space...UNBELIEVABLE!!! The company I am working for is doing a building at MIT and it also has a complete "crystal ball" and they pretty much have to can it because they cannot find ANYONE that is capable of doing it...(Mission:Space has one!!! it's just not clear glass)

I agree that the "warehouse" look should be fixed...throwing Mickey hands or Ears or whatever is NOT the way to do it.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
On disney's behalf, the silver look is VERY out-dated...we have not pictured future humans wearing aluminum foil costumes for years now. While the current image of the future that disney is depicting is a bit fractured due to lack of care for several pavillions, it seems obvious to me, anyway, that disney is in the process of overhauling all of Futureworld...and with Mission: SPACE, they will have crossed the halfway point...The Land, Wonders of Life, and The Living Seas are the only ones I can honestly say still need help, The Land being the least in need (it still looks great in there...but I could use a Food Rocks! replacement). I'm not really sure which pavillion will be next for a rehaul...but disney has been making quite a few changes with The Living Seas of late...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom