Yensid coming to parks?

JungleSkip

I heard he will be bringing some traditional animation features back. Is this true, or is that just a rumor that is going around?

Feature Animation in Burbank will not entirely be going back to hand drawn animation but it will be reincorporated. As he and Catmull explained it, It will depend on the story. If it is a story that doesn't lend itself to CGI then it will be hand drawn. Story as we all know has always been paramount to him. Pixar will continue to produce only CGI product.

So yea its nice to hear that hand drawn animation isn't dead. Too bad they fired everyone and closed feature animation in Orlando.

spoodles

Actually if you think long and hard about it, Walt Disney was the originator of remakes. He remade all of those classic stories and fairy tales into animated movies that he made billions of dollars from. The Sorcer's Apprentice was a poem that he remade. Don't fault Disney management for remaking this story into a new one for a new generation.
I wouldn't call taking a story from one medium to another a remake. I would define a remake as doing a story over again in the same medium. Maybe I'm off on this, but when they make a movie based on a book, I've never heard anyone refer to it as a remake.

Simba1

Just a minor point, and slightly off topic, but the music for Sleeping Beauty borrowed heavily from Tchaikovsky.

Originality is often about how an idea is interpreted or presented, not just if it is created out of thin air. Creating a truly original bit of anything, written or musical, is a rarity these days.

IMHO:rolleyes:

Haha... yeah I made myself look like an idiot when talking to a music-major friend here at school about the music. I think they used "Once Upon a Dream" during some cheese commercial and I said, "I wonder if they got permission from Disney to use that music." He said, "Why would they need Disney's permission? It's Tchaikovky." I felt like a moron.

Wilt Dasney

I wouldn't call taking a story from one medium to another a remake. I would define a remake as doing a story over again in the same medium. Maybe I'm off on this, but when they make a movie based on a book, I've never heard anyone refer to it as a remake.

It's a good point, and I think it probably applies here too.

Making a feature film out of a story that inspired a short animated vignette set entirely to music 67 years ago doesn't qualify as a remake in my mind, either.

It sounds like this project will have very little in common with Mickey and his army of brooms.

cmatt

Exactly. Taking a classic Mickey cartoon and making it live action just seems like bad news

i think they are taking the mick fnarr fnarr...

i dont think this really could work, i mean they done pirates of the carrebean will but look at the haunted mansion :shrug:

and nicolas cage hasnt done anything worthwhile since 8mm and con air imho

RSoxNo1

How does Nicolas Cage keep getting work? I mean who are the movie producers that can say with a straight face, "let's pay Nicolas Cage $12 mil a picture, it's bound to be successful?"

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Nick Cage can drive me mad because he really looks disinterested sometimes, but he has the Yensid eyes down.

The first thing I though of was that Deathly look Yensid gives and how Nick Cage could do it perfectly. Maybe this it just the first step to bringing Kingdom Hearts to the big screen.

slappy magoo

Doing a modern-day update of The Sorcerer's Apprentice isn't exactly a new concept, either...

http://imdb.com/title/tt0081903/

And I'm sure it's been done before and since this short-lived series aired. This is just the first thing that came to mind as I read The Hollywood Reporter article, which just goes to show how little a life I truly have...

Anyway, Disney purists should relax. It's a movie about a wizard in modern days taking on an apprentice and wackiness ensues. The bit about adapting the story from the original poem is, I'm sure, a load of horse hockey, stated only to make the project seem a little more highbrow than it really is. It WILL be dumb. But it might be dumb fun. In fact, I'd bet a shiny red apple that the only reason they're even thinking about calling it The Sorcerer's Apprentice is for the notoriety and the cross-promotion. IF the movie gets made, you'll see a re-release for Fantasia and or F2K which will contain a ticket to see the movie, The Disney Channel will air Fantasia with commercials for TSA in each break, maybe have the night hosted by Nicolas Cage and Zac or Cody or whoever Disney taps in-house to play the apprentice. Strange Brew will have more to do with Hamlet, Barb Wire will have more to do with Casablanca, Star Wars will have more to do with The Hidden Fortress than this movie will have with the classic Mickey Fantasia segment.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
Nick Cage can drive me mad because he really looks disinterested sometimes, but he has the Yensid eyes down.

The first thing I though of was that Deathly look Yensid gives and how Nick Cage could do it perfectly. Maybe this it just the first step to bringing Kingdom Hearts to the big screen.
Did I just say I was checking out Cage's Eyes?:eek:

cm1988

In anticipation of "Sourcerer II" it would be fantastic if they would move The Hat from the Studios and The Wand from Epcot to some prominent place along World Drive, and then stick a billboard between them advertising the latest and greatest "down under" production.

But I dunno. Soon it will be time to paint the wand pink and put candles on it. It has been in place almost 10 years.

please don't burn me at the stake for this...:lookaroun

i find it infinitely interesting, since joining this site, how different everyone's opinions are on anything disney.

on one hand you have people who are of the purist persuasion. nothing should really change, just rehab the old-but good-stuff.

on the other hand, you have people who encourage change, even when sometimes change comes at disney's detriment.

i would like to think that i fall somewhere in between...while i agree that a "live action" attempt of the sorcerer's apprentice or anything mickey related would fall flat, some things live action things are worth pursuing (ie. pirates). but those are really apples and oranges-mickey is an animated character while pirates was/is an aa attraction with real life figures.

anyhoo, tanget-sorry. i do think that disney needs to present newer ideas to the public while still representing the past in new, innovative ways. they need to rehab the mk and mgm desperately, but they also need to include the present and future in their ideas. i love all of the pixar related attractions that have come of late to the parks, but i think that they need to go back to their roots and re-embrace traditional animation. they need to discover how to have an equal and happy dichotomy between the two styles and how to also introduce and keep those same styles integrated into their parks.

just my long unimportant opinion:).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom