Wow! Monorail Orange.

Goofyernmost

True, I am a closer but all transportation is busy at that point it's inevitable.
I can remember, at home, after 4th of July Fireworks hauling about 80 people in a 40 foot bus, about 2 miles back to parking. They got to know each other more then one would like to imagine, but, they would come back year after year and do it all over again. Come to think of it, maybe it is because of that. Who knows?

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Exactly..... a full bus is never the drivers fault but we still get abused. I've had people treat me really bad by saying remarks behind me while I'm driving and I never said anything to them except "welcome aboard" That goes with the territory I guess. But it's still hurtfull. Some folks can be very mean on the whole most are great and will thank me as they leave the bus but I always thank them right back because they are the reason I'm here.
See, now I'm in New York. I take buses packed like that every day. It's not exactly comfortable, but I'd much rather be crammed in a bus than stuck waiting for the next one (or two or three). I get annoyed when the driver/dispatcher doesn't fill the bus.

Goofyernmost

Exactly..... a full bus is never the drivers fault but we still get abused. I've had people treat me really bad by saying remarks behind me while I'm driving and I never said anything to them except "welcome aboard" That goes with the territory I guess. But it's still hurtfull. Some folks can be very mean on the whole most are great and will thank me as they leave the bus but I always thank them right back because they are the reason I'm here.
There lies the crux of the complaints about Disney Transportation. People with no experience riding public transportation, that somehow feel that a bus service should be exactly like having a personal limo at their call. If they are ready to leave they want the bus to be waiting for them and if it isn't there then the "what the hell is wrong with Disney" starts spouting from all human orifices.

I can remember massive snow storms that were next to impossible to drive in and having people call us names because we were late arriving and going to slow. They wanted to get home. Believe me... so did we. That is why I am usually very supportive of the buses and the drivers. They have a important job to do and what they don't need is someone upset because the driver didn't get on the intercom and tell jokes or didn't speed over the top of stopped cars to get their self centered little (sometimes huge) butts back to their resort.

Personally, when I stayed on site, (very seldom) I didn't use the buses very often, not because I felt they weren't doing the best they can, but, because if I wanted to control my entry or exit, then I better use my own vehicle and take care of that myself.

Last edited:

Driver

There lies the crux of the complaints about Disney Transportation. People with no experience riding public transportation, that somehow feel that a bus service should be exactly like having a personal limo at their call. If they are ready to leave they want the bus to be waiting for them and if it isn't there then the "what the hell is wrong with Disney" starts spouting from all human orifices.

I can remember massive snow storms that were next to impossible to drive in and having people call us names because we were late arriving and going to slow. They wanted to get home. Believe me... so did we. That is why I am usually very supportive of the buses and the drivers. They have a important job to do and what they don't need is someone upset because the driver didn't get on the intercom and tell jokes or didn't speed over the top of stopped cars to get there self centered little (sometimes huge) butts back to their resort.

Personally, when I stayed on site, (very seldom) I didn't use the buses very often, not because I felt they weren't doing the best they can, but, because if I wanted to control my entry or exit, then I better use my own vehicle and take care of that myself.
The good times far outweigh the bad. Most people understand, and are not upset with the driver. It goes without saying if you stay till closing brace yourself the busses will be full. This not a hard thing to understand .

Goofyernmost

The good times far outweigh the bad. Most people understand, and are not upset with the driver. It goes without saying if you stay till closing brace yourself the busses will be full. This not a hard thing to understand .
Seems like it shouldn't be, but, so many people think that there is a huge reservoir of extra buses and extra drivers just sitting around waiting for them to need a bus.

You are correct, the vast majority are fine and are fun to talk to and joke with, however, it is the few that aren't that we remember most vividly. Makes for good stories sometimes though.

Last edited:

Disone

Original Poster
Monorail Gold did not get the a.c. but is very shiney. I included black to compare the difference.

Also included a shiny white space mountain .
20170916_170020.jpg
20170916_170026.jpg
20170916_164844.jpg
20170916_164857.jpg
20170916_164415.jpg

montyz81

I can remember massive snow storms that were next to impossible to drive in and having people call us names because we were late arriving and going to slow. They wanted to get home. Believe me... so did we. That is why I am usually very supportive of the buses and the drivers. They have a important job to do and what they don't need is someone upset because the driver didn't get on the intercom and tell jokes or didn't speed over the top of stopped cars to get their self centered little (sometimes huge) butts back to their resort.

Great post! I have to say, I am no fan of the bus system at WDW, but I can honestly say they do a great job of getting close to the "When you want to leave" mark. What I mean is that in April 2016, I stayed at SSR and decided for the first time to use all WDW transportation all week. I can honestly say that every single time I used the bus system, they were within 5 minutes of when I wanted to leave save for 1 time, (Bus driver was at fault that time, She shouldn't have been a bus driver) where the bus driver seemed to have a problem driving over 20mph anywhere. That one time we were going to HDDR and required a bus to MK and boat to WCG. I was a bit nervous that we were going to be late, however I gave us enough time to get there anticipating there might be an issue. The point is, the bus did a fine job getting us to where we needed to be all week. I was quite surprised actually and felt like I had pre-judged the bus system. it was far more efficient than I had given it credit for. It was, however still just a bus system like any other city uses. It didn't in any way add to the magical experience that the Monorail has done for so many years. I am still firmly in the camp of wanting updated monorails, new track and the addition of peoplemovers. I believe the efficiency of that system could not be matched if they committed to it like they have the bus system.

Driver

Great post! I have to say, I am no fan of the bus system at WDW, but I can honestly say they do a great job of getting close to the "When you want to leave" mark. What I mean is that in April 2016, I stayed at SSR and decided for the first time to use all WDW transportation all week. I can honestly say that every single time I used the bus system, they were within 5 minutes of when I wanted to leave save for 1 time, (Bus driver was at fault that time, She shouldn't have been a bus driver) where the bus driver seemed to have a problem driving over 20mph anywhere. That one time we were going to HDDR and required a bus to MK and boat to WCG. I was a bit nervous that we were going to be late, however I gave us enough time to get there anticipating there might be an issue. The point is, the bus did a fine job getting us to where we needed to be all week. I was quite surprised actually and felt like I had pre-judged the bus system. it was far more efficient than I had given it credit for. It was, however still just a bus system like any other city uses. It didn't in any way add to the magical experience that the Monorail has done for so many years. I am still firmly in the camp of wanting updated monorails, new track and the addition of peoplemovers. I believe the efficiency of that system could not be matched if they committed to it like they have the bus system.
As far as the bus driver goes she may have been a noobie. All drivers have to be DOT certified by a FL DOT examiner. Having been thru the process I can tell they don't cut you ANY slack. Back when I took my test the examiner told me. " you will follow the speed LIMIT if I have to tell you more than twice YOUR DONE!" So this could have been a new driver unsure of herself. Understand the responsibility that goes with the job, people's lives are in your hands.

peter11435

As far as the bus driver goes she may have been a noobie. All drivers have to be DOT certified by a FL DOT examiner. Having been thru the process I can tell they don't cut you ANY slack. Back when I took my test the examiner told me. " you will follow the speed LIMIT if I have to tell you more than twice YOUR DONE!" So this could have been a new driver unsure of herself. Understand the responsibility that goes with the job, people's lives are in your hands.
Sometimes drivers will purposely delay arriving at their next destination so they don't need to do another run before their break etc....

Driver

Sometimes drivers will purposely delay arriving at their next destination so they don't need to do another run before their break etc....
I have never seen a reason for a driver to have to do that. The system isn't geared that way. The system is very accommodating to the drivers. When I see a slow driver I try to see who it is. In case they need a friendly reminder. And drivers are warned to be "efficient " we are constantly being policed.

peter11435

I have never seen a reason for a driver to have to do that. The system isn't geared that way. The system is very accommodating to the drivers. When I see a slow driver I try to see who it is. In case they need a friendly reminder. And drivers are warned to be "efficient " we are constantly being policed.
Nearly every time I have been on a "slow" bus the drivers replacement comes walking up after we reach our destination.

Goofyernmost

I'd have to question that. Drivers do not just go wildly from place to place or be assigned runs individually unless there is an emergency of some sort. They have a schedule that tells them in advance where they are supposed to be their entire shift. That includes breaks which are loosely scheduled by time, but, are subject to when the previous to the break run is completed. Individual trip assignment would require a room full of dispatchers and plans that would make D-Day seem like a walk in the park.

You make it sound so random. It is not random at all. I can't speak for Disney, but, I know that most work on a seniority basis, with highest seniority getting to chose their run setup first, then so on after that. What was described by the poster as a problem with the driver more then likely was a newbie. Just starting out and unsure of the directions and turns that everyone gets familiar with over time and desperately not wanting to upset anyone by accidentally shooting by a turn and having to double back.

So in short, I cannot accept that going faster will prevent them from having a break. Just the opposite is more likely they outcome of driving to slow.

If they worked on a published times schedule, they may be moving slow to not get to a location to early. (and in a way they are, you just don't know what that time goal is) Ever been on an airplane the was sitting on the pavement for extended times because there were no gates available. Kinda the same thing, getting there early can be a hassle as well if the previous buses haven't cleared out. But, I don't think that was what this was. Having driven around in WDW I can tell you that there are some massively crazy drivers running around there. An accident could delay your trip by a whole lot.

peter11435

I'd have to question that. Drivers do not just go wildly from place to place or be assigned runs individually unless there is an emergency of some sort. They have a schedule that tells them in advance where they are supposed to be their entire shift. That includes breaks which are loosely scheduled by time, but, are subject to when the previous to the break run is completed. Individual trip assignment would require a room full of dispatchers and plans that would make D-Day seem like a walk in the park.

You make it sound so random. It is not random at all. I can't speak for Disney, but, I know that most work on a seniority basis, with highest seniority getting to chose their run setup first, then so on after that. What was described by the poster as a problem with the driver more then likely was a newbie. Just starting out and unsure of the directions and turns that everyone gets familiar with over time and desperately not wanting to upset anyone by accidentally shooting by a turn and having to double back.

So in short, I cannot accept that going faster will prevent them from having a break. Just the opposite is more likely they outcome of driving to slow.

If they worked on a published times schedule, they may be moving slow to not get to a location to early. (and in a way they are, you just don't know what that time goal is) Ever been on an airplane the was sitting on the pavement for extended times because there were no gates available. Kinda the same thing, getting there early can be a hassle as well if the previous buses haven't cleared out. But, I don't think that was what this was. Having driven around in WDW I can tell you that there are some massively crazy drivers running around there. An accident could delay your trip by a whole lot.

There is no time schedule for the buses and they are individually dispatched for most routes much of the time. The bus that drops you off at Epcot from Pop century will likely not return to pop century but rather will be dispatched to a different resort based on demand.

If a driver is off at 12 for example and they return to Epcot at 1115 they will likely be dispatched to run another route before being replaced. If they delay their arrival a few minutes so there is not enough time to run another route they will be replaced before doing so.

There actually is a team of dispatchers monitoring and dispatching drivers and buses.

Driver

Thank you for putting that into words you have a good understanding of how the system works.

Driver

There is no time schedule for the buses and they are individually dispatched for most routes much of the time. The bus that drops you off at Epcot from Pop century will likely not return to pop century but rather will be dispatched to a different resort based on demand.

If a driver is off at 12 for example and they return to Epcot at 1115 they will likely be dispatched to run another route before being replaced. If they delay their arrival a few minutes so there is not enough time to run another route they will be replaced before doing so.

There actually is a team of dispatchers monitoring and dispatching drivers and buses.
Your off on your description of how the system works....... however I cannot share the information with you.

Driver

Let me say your first paragraph is spot on after that..... no

Goofyernmost

Yes, I know that they switch destinations just about every trip. That is the way it works with bus transportation, but, it is preset and the only time it changes would be if some event or interruption makes it necessary to modify.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom