Would you visit Walt Disney World with these health-based operational restrictions in place?

Would you visit Walt Disney World with these health-based operational restrictions in place?

• Yes

Votes: 306 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 429 50.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 111 13.1%

• Total voters

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People who are upset about it shouldn't go. Attendance is not mandatory.
It’s not...

However Disney is not going to budge if there isn’t scratch in it for them. So a lot of people have to show.

Do we know Disney isn’t being “bailed out” behind the scenes with that $3 tril of congressional money and/or the $4 tril of fed credit that was thrown out there?

Are we assuming that they are losing money by the minute? Or are they losing “profit”?

Their entire workforce more or less is on UE...

Losses? Yes...

Catastrophic? We’ll find out later

danv3

My DW and I have a trip in December. I also have Emphysema and COPD. Wearing a mask for a long period of time is really not an option. While wearing a mask, I can not evacuate my lungs of all the carbon dioxide, which in turn gives me headaches and shortness of breath. So, now in reading these replies, I wonder what the reaction I would get not wearing a mask? It is now May, I personally do not believe a vaccine will not be around between now and then. If we worry about dying from a virus ,that the WHO as of 5/9/20, has a 96% recovery rate, we are already dead.

Under the ADA, Disney would have to accommodate you by allowing you not to wear a mask.

Some of your fellow guests, however, would likely go nuts seeing you without a mask on. You might even face physical altercations.

(And that's ignoring the risk to your health being out in a crowded place given your medical history.)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I rented the points for my now cancelled June trip last July and the points for the July trip in November. Thankfully, the June person is refunding all my money. It is to be seen if the July person does the same although she has insinuated that she won't. If necessary, it is enough to file in small claims court as we have a lawyer in the family who said he would do it for free for us. I hope it does not come to that.
Just out of curiosity...do you rent DVC multiple times each year?

icc2515

I also have Emphysema and COPD.
Just so you know if you have Emphysema you automatically have COPD. And if you have Emphysema you should talk to your doctor before going to WDW during this pandemic. If your doctor says that it's OK to go, you should consider finding a new doctor.

Seriously if you're not healthy enough to wear a mask in a place you can get a life threatening disease, then you're not healthy enough to be at a place that you can get a life threatening disease.

Communicora

Premium Member
Under the ADA, Disney would have to accommodate you by allowing you not to wear a mask.

Some of your fellow guests, however, would likely go nuts seeing you without a mask on. You might even face physical altercations.

(And that's ignoring the risk to your health being out in a crowded place given your medical history.)
Disney could have a way around that. They don't have to make an accommodation if the accommodation poses a threat to someone else's safety.

Rider

This would be an entirely untested area of law however the ADA says:

§ 36.208 Direct threat.

• (a) This part does not require a public accommodation to permit an individual to participate in or benefit from the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages and accommodations of that public accommodation when that individual poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others.
  • (b) In determining whether an individual poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others, a public accommodation must make an individualized assessment, based on reasonable judgment that relies on current medical knowledge or on the best available objective evidence, to ascertain: The nature, duration, and severity of the risk; the probability that the potential injury will actually occur; and whether reasonable modifications of policies, practices, or procedures or the provision of auxiliary aids or services will mitigate the risk.

TrojanUSC

Do not force your viewpoints on others just because you’re paranoid. You can stay cooped up if you’re scared. Nothing will happen to you if you do what you want to do. 👍🏻

Sorry but the fact nearly 100,000 Americans have died is not a "viewpoint." The level of asymptomatic spread with this virus is very, very high. Unless someone is prepared to never see any loved one again, being "cooped up" is not an option.

DIZNE ED

Disney has the right to refuse anyone admission not obeying their guidelines. It is private property owned by a corporation. Except for medical reasons everyone must wear a mask except for eating/drinking. I personally will wait to visit when the rules are more relaxed and because I'm older and a high risk. Just not worth the risk and money for a lesser vacation. God Bless those Guest Services people explaining the guidelines to some people.

danv3

Disney could have a way around that. They don't have to make an accommodation if the accommodation poses a threat to someone else's safety.

it would be Disney’s burden to prove the direct threat. Unless the person had symptoms or a positive test, Disney would have little basis to declare her a threat beyond guessing. Just about the opposite of “reasonable judgment that relies on current medical knowledge or on the best available objective evidence.”

Disney will likely get an liability shield anyway, so they probably won’t care about a few exceptions to the mask rule. The bigger problem would be the reaction of other guests.

Lilofan

it would be Disney’s burden to prove the direct threat. Unless the person had symptoms or a positive test, Disney would have little basis to declare her a threat beyond guessing. Just about the opposite of “reasonable judgment that relies on current medical knowledge or on the best available objective evidence.”

Disney will likely get an liability shield anyway, so they probably won’t care about a few exceptions to the mask rule. The bigger problem would be the reaction of other guests.
The media coverage of WDW could make or break the parks.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Sorry but the fact nearly 100,000 Americans have died is not a "viewpoint." The level of asymptomatic spread with this virus is very, very high. Unless someone is prepared to never see any loved one again, being "cooped up" is not an option.
Uh... that literally IS the option.

Rider

Not wearing a mask at Disney World during a global pandemic being protected by the ADA is an entirely untested legal concept.

But based on CDC, state, and local guidelines it seems unlikely that anyone would be able to succeed in proving that Disney (or any business) was wrongly blocking them from entering the park without a mask under the ADA. Anyone and everyone without a mask could be a Direct Threat to the health and safety of others right now.

And I think Disney is very concerned about people not wearing masks. As much as they want to open they know that it would only take one super-spreader at Magic Kingdom to shut them down again and potentially bankrupt them. Legal liability isn't the risk. It's PR and people not going to the parks anymore.

corsairk09

I don't think our opinions are different so I'm not sure why you attacked me. I don't for one second believe we could get everyone to wear a mask in the real world. My statement was about how much easier this would be if we did live in a perfect world.

Everyone wants to go back to normal. I don't think that's in dispute. Masks look to be a good way to speed that journey: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/05/masks-covid-19-infections-would-plummet-new-study-says
I guess my issue with masks is that requiring them makes many people feel better, but don't actually help because many people wear them improperly. Wearing masks causes people to touch their face often, and, according to doctors, once you touch the mask (as opposed to the ear pieces) the mask is basically worthless. I would be fine wearing them in public if they actually helped.... but it seems like a marketing ploy to make people feel safe.

chitoryu12

Not wearing a mask at Disney World during a global pandemic being protected by the ADA is an entirely untested legal concept.

But based on CDC, state, and local guidelines it seems unlikely that anyone would be able to succeed in proving that Disney (or any business) was wrongly blocking them from entering the park without a mask under the ADA. Anyone and everyone without a mask could be a Direct Threat to the health and safety of others right now.

And I think Disney is very concerned about people not wearing masks. As much as they want to open they know that it would only take one super-spreader at Magic Kingdom to shut them down again and potentially bankrupt them. Legal liability isn't the risk. It's PR and people not going to the parks anymore.

In general, your rights legally end at the point where you're at risk of directly causing harm to others. Remember that Disney is private property and thus has a ton of legal freedom in setting safety standards for being on its property. While this is untested legally, I find it extremely unlikely that a court could compel them to discontinue their mask rule in the middle of a global pandemic killing hundreds of thousands of people.

Parker in NYC

In general, your rights legally end at the point where you're at risk of directly causing harm to others. Remember that Disney is private property and thus has a ton of legal freedom in setting safety standards for being on its property. While this is untested legally, I find it extremely unlikely that a court could compel them to discontinue their mask rule in the middle of a global pandemic killing hundreds of thousands of people.

Yes. Also, Disney needs their employees to remain healthy. After all, life is so unnerving for a servant who's not serving dead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom