Would you visit Walt Disney World with these health-based operational restrictions in place?

Would you visit Walt Disney World with these health-based operational restrictions in place?

• Yes

Votes: 306 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 429 50.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 111 13.1%

• Total voters

Animaniac93-98

I think that’s where this ends up. Way too contentious to try to regulate it. I also think that pushes the opening date back some. Every bit of mitigation of risk allows them to open sooner.

It's an either or for Disney.

Either open earlier with more restrictions, or later with fewer of them.

Demanding they open now with no restrictions is a completely unrealistic expectation.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's an either or for Disney.

Either open earlier with more restrictions, or later with fewer of them.

Demanding they open now with no restrictions is a completely unrealistic expectation.
I’m starting to think that’s what Chapek was hinting at when he mentioned masks and the challenge for the summer. They want to open before the fall but if the guest experience is rotten and there is too much resistance then they won’t be able to.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For some, yes.

But I also remember 9/11. After 9/11, many people said the same thing about airline safety spiels, that people would never go back to ignoring them. Alas, it didn't take long before frequent travelers were ignoring the safety spiel.

If history is any guide: after the 1918 pandemic, many people were eager to put the tragedy of it behind them.

In 2001, a number of folks volunteered to clear wreckage in NYC, and suffered health consequences from breathing in all the dust. Over time, funding their healthcare needs grew less and less popular.
I may be the only person on earth that worked for Disney in 2001 and also was onsite for the WTC cleanup (limited...as a consultant) from 2003 to 2005 occasionally...
And I couldn’t agree with you more. People remember that period actually more than I thought they would. But they also largely forgot as well...

Jon Stewart having to go to Congress with a bullhorn to guilt senators into extending benefits. Both sides.

I think this crisis will obviously never be forgotten...but people will “accept it and move on” rather quickly as well:
I refuse to spend money to be miserable while wearing a mask in 90 degree heat and 90% humidity. Disney is making a mistake by making this mandatory. It should be “Strongly Encouraged“ not required.
Partial policy is pointless though. I’m on the side of don’t open if you’re going to require masks. I don’t see it in Florida as viable.

All the places there “reopening” will drop the mask charade quickly if they even bother.
You know what else is miserable? Struggling to breathe while your lungs fill with fluid as you die.

If you don't want to wear a mask, stay home. But if everyone in the world was wearing a mask when in public we could be back to normal a lot faster.
I think your scoffing because you want “normal” means you may need to stay home as well. Policy has to weigh all factors...including and most especially random stupidity of those that will break it. This isn’t the standard “freedom of choice” debate which it’s being twisted and morphed into...

I just don’t see how thermometers and non-uniform masks is anything other than a “deterrent”...not a “preventative” policy. There’s a difference.
I think that’s where this ends up. Way too contentious to try to regulate it. I also think that pushes the opening date back some. Every bit of mitigation of risk allows them to open sooner.
I think the right move for Disney is probably to just hold off until the fall. The move to cancel dcl - by far the easiest cruiseline to reactivate - is super telling. If they see no options...how are the suits comfortable with the parks?

VaderTron

...But I keep wondering why there were people in Disney and the parks far into March - and no masks, no outbreaks, no ill CM's, no large outbreaks....

There were ill people that went to WDW at the time. Some guests and some CMs. There wasn't much news about it because there were no smoking guns to show if/where it spread. There was no contact tracing and absolutely no testing being done at the time unless you traveled internationally. Additionally, we have no idea how many asymptomatic guests/CMs may have spread the virus to others. Since it takes several days or even a couple of weeks to manifest itself we don't know in what manner it was transmitted. So, we have no idea how many people who are ill in this country and other countries originally picked it up from WDW and seeded their community.

Last edited:

VaderTron

Given enough time, COVID will also fade from memory for folks that were not tragically affected by it, like the Spanish flu. Many folks only know of the Spanish flu because of COVID. I do hope we all come away with general germ consciousness at least going forward.

If true that is a sad indictment on the already low-quality of education in the western world. Let's just say that's not the case with everyone....

VaderTron

Safety measures or not, I wouldn't go to Disney again until there is a vaccine or until the new infections have totally bottomed out. I get wanting your fix, but it's just asking for a second wave.

No way of avoiding that. We just hope to stay out of the way of that wave!

Rider

I may be the only person on earth that worked for Disney in 2001 and also was onsite for the WTC cleanup (limited...as a consultant) from 2003 to 2005 occasionally...
And I couldn’t agree with you more. People remember that period actually more than I thought they would. But they also largely forgot as well...

Jon Stewart having to go to Congress with a bullhorn to guilt senators into extending benefits. Both sides.

I think this crisis will obviously never be forgotten...but people will “accept it and move on” rather quickly as well:

Partial policy is pointless though. I’m on the side of don’t open if you’re going to require masks. I don’t see it in Florida as viable.

All the places there “reopening” will drop the mask charade quickly if they even bother.

I think your scoffing because you want “normal” means you may need to stay home as well. Policy has to weigh all factors...including and most especially random stupidity of those that will break it. This isn’t the standard “freedom of choice” debate which it’s being twisted and morphed into...

I just don’t see how thermometers and non-uniform masks is anything other than a “deterrent”...not a “preventative” policy. There’s a difference.

I think the right move for Disney is probably to just hold off until the fall. The move to cancel dcl - by far the easiest cruiseline to reactivate - is super telling. If they see no options...how are the suits comfortable with the parks?

I don't think our opinions are different so I'm not sure why you attacked me. I don't for one second believe we could get everyone to wear a mask in the real world. My statement was about how much easier this would be if we did live in a perfect world.

Everyone wants to go back to normal. I don't think that's in dispute. Masks look to be a good way to speed that journey: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/05/masks-covid-19-infections-would-plummet-new-study-says

ElvisMickey

I had two appointments today, a 6 month dentist cleaning and a pedicure (yes, I’m a dude who gets them :p). The dentist required a mask, temp check, waiting outside for your appointment and a set of questions in regards to your recent health status before they brought you in. Obviously, you could take the mask off during your appointment. The nail salon requirement was a mask the whole time. Not going to lie, the new restrictions and the mask wearing sucked and I couldn’t wait to get out of both places. Now take those 2 experiences and just think of dealing with that in the middle of the humid Orlando summer for a watered down Disney experience at full price. Hard pass for me.

heapster411

My DW and I have a trip in December. I also have Emphysema and COPD. Wearing a mask for a long period of time is really not an option. While wearing a mask, I can not evacuate my lungs of all the carbon dioxide, which in turn gives me headaches and shortness of breath. So, now in reading these replies, I wonder what the reaction I would get not wearing a mask? It is now May, I personally do not believe a vaccine will not be around between now and then. If we worry about dying from a virus ,that the WHO as of 5/9/20, has a 96% recovery rate, we are already dead.

Rider

My DW and I have a trip in December. I also have Emphysema and COPD. Wearing a mask for a long period of time is really not an option. While wearing a mask, I can not evacuate my lungs of all the carbon dioxide, which in turn gives me headaches and shortness of breath. So, now in reading these replies, I wonder what the reaction I would get not wearing a mask? It is now May, I personally do not believe a vaccine will not be around between now and then. If we worry about dying from a virus ,that the WHO as of 5/9/20, has a 96% recovery rate, we are already dead.
If Disney requires and you refuse they could kick you out of the park without refund. If you resist being kicked out you could be arrested for trespass.

You are at extremely high risk of complications up to and including being in the wrong side of that 4% group you think are good odds (spoiler: it's not good) based on your statement and our knowledge of the virus. Not going to Disney World this year won't kill you. Going might.

And if you don't care about your personal safety please have some consideration for everyone else who wants to follow the rules and be safe.

RoadiJeff

Let me just say that I would NOT visit WDW if some sort of health-based restrictions were not in place, at least not until this virus has been gotten under control and it has not so far. Although I did not have any plans to visit the mouse this year it is very tempting after reading about all the people who will not be going because of a mask. I dislike crowds and waiting in lines and this might be a solution for that problem.

Poly1974

I had two appointments today, a 6 month dentist cleaning and a pedicure (yes, I’m a dude who gets them :p). The dentist required a mask, temp check, waiting outside for your appointment and a set of questions in regards to your recent health status before they brought you in. Obviously, you could take the mask off during your appointment. The nail salon requirement was a mask the whole time. Not going to lie, the new restrictions and the mask wearing sucked and I couldn’t wait to get out of both places. Now take those 2 experiences and just think of dealing with that in the middle of the humid Orlando summer for a watered down Disney experience at full price. Hard pass for me.

Could not agree more. As I said earlier, I am thinking 2022 (maybe late 2021 for the 50th if things go well with the virus). I have no interest in the watered down experience for any price. I will wait.

Lilofan

If I had your medical conditions, you going to WDW could provide to be fatal.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think our opinions are different so I'm not sure why you attacked me. I don't for one second believe we could get everyone to wear a mask in the real world. My statement was about how much easier this would be if we did live in a perfect world.

Everyone wants to go back to normal. I don't think that's in dispute. Masks look to be a good way to speed that journey: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/05/masks-covid-19-infections-would-plummet-new-study-says
Our opinions probably aren’t that different. I tend to State general consensus with less “tact”...

And I know people want to go back to normal. What they don’t want to do (60+%) is rush to “re-open” in some kind of political game. Those two things are falsely being linked.

I’m sick of this...I am. I don’t want a spike. And even though I am still of the mind I’m not scared to got to wdw...i don’t think it would be enjoyable if it resembles TSA screenings and limited options for the price.

SpectroMagician

100% yes I will go. I luckily have no pre-existing conditions and am young. People at risk should obviously stay home, but the rest of us should not be afraid to get back to a somewhat normal life.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There will be no vaccine by the fall, sister...

That’s highly unlikely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom