Would you visit Walt Disney World with these health-based operational restrictions in place?

Would you visit Walt Disney World with these health-based operational restrictions in place?

• Yes

Votes: 306 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 429 50.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 111 13.1%

• Total voters

danv3

Masks work. Period. There is no gray area here. If you choose to deny science then so be it but that does not make your stance reality. I am done arguing with those that choose to keep their head in the sand because admitting the truth would offend their sense of entitlement. We have both said what we needed to say so have a good day. No further response is needed. ;)

I personally think masks work. I did even when our government was telling us they didn't.

That said, I don't think we can conclude that the drop in cases in Austria occurred because of mask wearing. Correlation doesn't mean causation. There are likely a number of factors leading to the drop in cases.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Do you not? I've been doing bleach wipes in hotels for years. Thought this was pretty common, actually.
I've travelled all over the country (lots and lots of business travel as well as pleasure) and had the opportunity for some limited international travel as well and I have never, not once ever worried about sanitizing a hotel room I was staying in. And I have never, not once ever had any illness or ill effect from it.
I tend to believe the studies in recent years that the hyper-sanitization of some peoples worlds (not what's happening right now, but before this) has actually made things worse. Some (not pointing this directly at anyone) are so obsessive about sanitizing every single thing they touch they build up absolutely no immunity or resistance to anything, and as a result end up catching everything. I've spent more hours in airplanes and hotels and airports, etc.. than I can count and on any average year I get maybe one cold, typically in December. I've always written that off to having been exposed to so many germs, in so many places my body has developed a solid immune system that keeps me safe.

And yes, I will absolutely be wearing a mask when I visit WDW after re-opening if it is required

Well I appreciate your dedication during this time. My wife also works in the medical field (SLP), and the surgeon I was referencing is my father in law. He is a cardiothoracic surgeon, 40 years going at NW in Chicago. Wasn't trying to strike a nerve, but there are obviously differences in opinion from people in these fields, let alone what politicians tell us. Stay well.

It is interesting to me to see how people refuse to acknowledge that the science is not clear on this. I have seen a lot of people comment that they are going to "follow the science." One only has to read and listen a little to understand that medical professionals and infectious disease experts ("the science") do not agree on the extent to which cloth face masks protect people, if at all. I know people who work in the medical field (both nurses) who are convinced that masks are useful, and get angry when other people don't wear masks because they think they are selfish and don't care about anyone else. I also know people who work in the medical field (one GP, one paramedic, and one CDC employee) who think that cloth masks just make some people feel better and they aren't doing anything substantive. They all say that social distancing and washing hands are the two things we should do to protect ourselves- and that masks give us a false sense of security that prevent us from doing the former. The paramedic said, "We can't hide from the virus forever. We need to build up our immune systems to deal with it."

We all have to decide what we choose to believe based on our own reading and experience when we choose whether to wear a mask or to visit places that require them, but someone insisting that he or she just knows with certainty seems rather stubborn and closed-minded. Humans seem to have a hard time accepting that there are intelligent people who- gasp- actually have ideas and beliefs different from their own. One day maybe we will have science that overwhelmingly supports one idea or the other. As of now, we just don't.

Smiley/OCD

I've travelled all over the country (lots and lots of business travel as well as pleasure) and had the opportunity for some limited international travel as well and I have never, not once ever worried about sanitizing a hotel room I was staying in. And I have never, not once ever had any illness or ill effect from it.
I tend to believe the studies in recent years that the hyper-sanitization of some peoples worlds (not what's happening right now, but before this) has actually made things worse. Some (not pointing this directly at anyone) are so obsessive about sanitizing every single thing they touch they build up absolutely no immunity or resistance to anything, and as a result end up catching everything. I've spent more hours in airplanes and hotels and airports, etc.. than I can count and on any average year I get maybe one cold, typically in December. I've always written that off to having been exposed to so many germs, in so many places my body has developed a solid immune system that keeps me safe.

And yes, I will absolutely be wearing a mask when I visit WDW after re-opening if it is required
AND what no one is discussing is that not only were people in their homes in "lock down", but so were their immune systems...will there be a second wave? YES...will our being confined to our homes cause our immune systems to have to play catch up? Probably so...will that be a contributing cause? Only time will tell, but I can promise you, no elected official or medical expert will go on the record and admit it. All I know is that Danny Tanner would be having a field day right now...

Disstevefan1

I agree with the concept of hyper-sanitization, but in this case we have not built that immunity to COVID, so the sanitation is needed in my opinion. COVID aside, moms and dads have been forever telling their kids to wash their hands. Hopefully post COVID, that habit will stick.

Sweet Thing

I'm with you. I've travelled frequently, both for work and pleasure all over the world. I have never gotten sick from travelling. I've also never thought to bring cleaning products with me on a trip. I didn't even know that was a thing. None of the many people I have travelled with over the years have done this either. I think it is a very small niche group of people who actually do this.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I agree with the concept of hyper-sanitization, but in this case we have not built that immunity to COVID, so the sanitation is needed in my opinion. COVID aside, moms and dads have been forever telling their kids to wash their hands. Hopefully post COVID, that habit will stick.
Please note my overall perspective is for life before COVID-19 and does not apply to this particular time period or scenario at all. I'm 100%+ on board with all of the efforts and actions taken regarding it.

I was referring to the general pre-COVID hyper-sanitizing of ones world that became popular when Purel decided to freak everyone out and make money off hand sanitizer.

Here is a link to a fascinating article from the NYT that talks about the long term pattern of human immune system response and how our societal behavior has actually resulted in reduced immunity and thus greater illness.

Last edited:

Incomudro

There
Masks work. Period. There is no gray area here. If you choose to deny science then so be it but that does not make your stance reality. I am done arguing with those that choose to keep their head in the sand because admitting the truth would offend their sense of entitlement. We have both said what we needed to say so have a good day. No further response is needed. ;)

There is no Period.
There is a degree to the effectiveness of EVERYTHING.
Risk vs benefits. That's how the world works.

And please... "Deny science."

"90% drop."
90 cases to 10 cases.
Notice the deliberate misuse of percentages in order to get attention?
There are so many possibilities as to how and why they went down 80 cases.

Incomudro

I personally think masks work. I did even when our government was telling us they didn't.

That said, I don't think we can conclude that the drop in cases in Austria occurred because of mask wearing. Correlation doesn't mean causation. There are likely a number of factors leading to the drop in cases.

I believe that masks do something.
How much they do is inconclusive at best.

I believe that the CDC changed their stance on mask wearing by the general public, because they were afraid that the covid19 infection rate would take off and multiply at such a speed - that reducing the chances of any transmission in any way would be worth it.
Worth it to stop the wildfire possibility that the healthcare systems would quickly become overburdened.

Incomudro

Please note my overall perspective is for life before COVID-19 and does not apply to this particular time period or scenario at all. I'm 100%+ on board with all of the efforts and actions taken regarding it.

I was referring to the general pre-COVID hyper-sanitizing of ones world that became popular when Purel decided to freak everyone out and make money off hand sanitizer.

Here is a link to a fascinating article from the NYT that talks about the long term pattern of human immune system response and how our societal behavior has actually resulted in reduced immunity and thus greater illness.

When I was a kid, teenager - I was out of the house all day.
All day.
Running around the woods, catching snakes which often defecate on you when caught, frogs and toads which urinate on you when caught, digging in the dirt, and going to the pond to catch fish - which were removed from the hook by hand of course.
We swam in that pond too.
Then we'd walk to the corner store where we'd buy junk food, (perhaps a sandwich) and something to drink.
We never washed our hands.
Maybe if our hands were particularly slimy, we'd slosh them around in the pond, then wipe them on our jeans.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
When I was a kid, teenager - I was out of the house all day.
All day.
Running around the woods, catching snakes which often defecate on you when caught, frogs and toads which urinate on you when caught, digging in the dirt, and going to the pond to catch fish - which were removed from the hook by hand of course.
We swam in that pond too.
Then we'd walk to the corner store where we'd buy junk food, (perhaps a sandwich) and something to drink.
We never washed our hands.
Maybe if our hands were particularly slimy, we'd slosh them around in the pond, then wipe them on our jeans.
Oooh posh were we . You had jeans 🧐. We had burlap sack made into shorts and had to share them.

Touchdown

You know folks these syptoms people are having is because your blood humor is blocked, you should get a blood letting.

What? Didn’t you know medicine was a static field where no one changes their opinion based on new studies and no self respecting researcher is ever allowed to change their minds.

I know this is complex, but for goodness sake every high school graduate should know about the scientific method.

Incomudro

I’m a firm believer is not science. I’m a firm believer is not data. You are stating opinions without stating facts. Where are the facts that your immune system benefits from being exposed to COVID-19. When you speak, speak responsibly. Everyone is entitled to their own "beliefs" and "opinion" but not their own facts.

Sounds like the poster made it clear it's their opinion when they said "I'm a firm believer."

Communicora

Premium Member
I'm not a germ fanatic, but I did bring Clorox wipes on my mid-February trip to California to wipe down the area around my airplane seat and high touch surfaces in my hotel rooms. It was a trip I considered canceling because I feared coronavirus was going to become widespread in the US. I'l probably continue that practice to avoid influenza and noroviruses while traveling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom