Would you recommend the Polynesian?

sweetpee_1993

Ughhhhhhhh!!!!!!
Dang. That stinks for the Poly lovers. I know my brother is heart-sick over a lot of it. He always referred to the Poly as "his" resort. Do you think, though, that you could be swayed to buy Poly DVC when it opens to purchase? Also, can't recall if you had stayed at Yacht or Beach Club but the location for strolling into F&W could be a nice convenience. Spent several wonderful afternoons out by Stormalong Bay enjoying the excellent service and drinky-drinks back in 2011. Good stuff. And the Grand Marnier slush stand is riiiiiight there. ;)

luv

It's fine. It's good. I don't think it's the greatest hotel in world history or worth anywhere near what they charge, considering the level of service, but it's nice and pleasant enough. It's on the monorail and is kind of romantic at night. :)

They're doing a lot of construction over there, building time-share, so you might want to wait a bit before you go there.

DisneyDebNJ

Dang. That stinks for the Poly lovers. I know my brother is heart-sick over a lot of it. He always referred to the Poly as "his" resort. Do you think, though, that you could be swayed to buy Poly DVC when it opens to purchase? Also, can't recall if you had stayed at Yacht or Beach Club but the location for strolling into F&W could be a nice convenience. Spent several wonderful afternoons out by Stormalong Bay enjoying the excellent service and drinky-drinks back in 2011. Good stuff. And the Grand Marnier slush stand is riiiiiight there. ;)
I'm the same way as your brother, I call Poly *my* resort. Alot of "Hey, remember when..." moments for us there. I stayed at GF back in 2007, (nothing was available at the Poly) and I pined for the Poly the entire vacation . It really makes alot of sense for us to stay at a boardwalk resort though, but I am such a creature of habit. Stormalong Bay, gorgeous....

Polydweller

Short answer, after 23 years staying there I now have to say no, I can't recommend it. IMHO the place is being ruined by everything that is being done. The lobby is currently closed and the main water feature will be removed. There are apparently plans to remove the Nanaea volcano at the main pool. The new bungalows in the water are ruining views and giving the water pageant huge problems in doing the show at nights. Last I heard they still can't find a way to show more than half the parade. Finally, the construction will be felt throughout the year. Local management apparently isn't thrilled but the DVC people can push their weight around now and frankly don't care about the main resort. They simply don't know or care about what made it special. And that's my short answer.

DisneyDebNJ

Short answer, after 23 years staying there I now have to say no, I can't recommend it. IMHO the place is being ruined by everything that is being done. The lobby is currently closed and the main water feature will be removed. There are apparently plans to remove the Nanaea volcano at the main pool. The new bungalows in the water are ruining views and giving the water pageant huge problems in doing the show at nights. Last I heard they still can't find a way to show more than half the parade. Finally, the construction will be felt throughout the year. Local management apparently isn't thrilled but the DVC people can push their weight around now and frankly don't care about the main resort. They simply don't know or care about what made it special. And that's my short answer.
This breaks my heart..... I wish they just would have left it alone

surfsupdon

No do not go.

Entirely too much construction.

You love Yacht Club, also our favorite, but after our 2010 vacation at Poly, we still went back to Yacht Club. This is NOT the time to try the Polynesian out.

We liked the Poly, but preferred Yacht. In Tahiti, our room was considerably larger than Yacht. The view of the Lagoon with MK in the back was awesome, but we much preferred the Crescent Lake View with Illuminations in the background at Yacht. Poly had a way too small pool, too. Poly was a nice place to stay, it was fun, beautiful inside and out, and had good food, but Yacht won for us.

And you know, the monorail wasn't as convenient as we thought. You were always stopped on the beam "waiting for clearance from the monorail ahead" and using the TTC to get to Epcot was wierd. It's an ugly bus depot place loaded with cement and zigzagging rope mazes. There's nothing like a walk to Epcot and a stroll to MGM.

Hope you get to stay at Poly at some point tho, it was nice.

surfsupdon

That's sad. I'd feel bad too if they messed with our Yacht Club in such a way as ruining the feel of the Resort. I'm glad I got to stay at Polynesian before this mess.

Hope you can get back soon, post constrction, and enjoy your time.

jlsHouston

this breaks my heart too...can't believe the lobby is closed...how can you close the lobby of a resort ?

kkocka

I think the Contemporary is a lot nicer though doesn't have the charm that the Poly has. You could aim for staying in nicer rooms (Contemporary) and spending free time browsing around at the Poly for Ohana and Tambu Lounge, etc.

Glasgow

I have ALWAYS wanted to stay at the poly but the price per night is eye watering, even if you can afford it. Still though, it's not like you go to disney for value .. :)

s&k'smom

It made me really sad to hear they were doing DVC at the Poly. My daughter really wants to stay there next time and we lived through the GF DVC and I have to say my husband was so unhappy with it. Thought it ruined the feel of the pool area this big building kinda stuck behind it. We love the monorail resorts but think we may have to switch to Epcot for the next trip.

Jessica Meier

Yes.....Beach Club longhouse ;)

It is going to get worse as the year goes on and not knowing what will happen when is the worst part but much of the resort could be a mess even in Fall. It is hard to suggest going there at all this year.
I'm curious as to how far into 2015 they will go. Would like to book in fall or at Christmas. May just have to wait.

coachwnh

I'm looking into planning another trip. We usually stay at the Yacht Club, but I thought, "Why not try something new?" So, I was looking at the other resort options and the Polynesian interested me. It would be nice to be on the monorail route, but I would miss walking to Epcot and taking a boat to the Studios. :) So, for those of you who have stayed at the Poly... Would you recommend it? I have heard mixed reviews. Thanks!
We, too, are frequent guests at YC. Spent the last two Christmas trips there as well as parts of the last three summers. Love it!! Cant beat the walks to Epcot and HS. We have also stayed at the Poly a few times, most recently Thanksgiving 2012. We like it, but prefer GF or Contemp to the Poly as far as monorail resorts go. The one nice option is walking to the Epcot monorail if you stay on that side of the resort. we actually requested to stay there. I know there were issues with that recently. Overall, its a nice resort. Very relaxing at night. But my choices would be GF first, then Contemp next. My kids would pick Contemp before GF. Hope this helps.

wdwObsessedxo

I stayed at the Polynesian in 2007 and it still to this day is my favorite hotel. The grounds are stunning, the pool is awesome, and the views of MK from the beach are breathtaking. We had a "standard" room, and loved it! We only saw gardens, and were a short 5 minute walk from the TTC, easy access to EPCOT. I loved it so much!

eliz603

Add me to the crowd of 'no.' It's been a few years, but I was disappointed in our stay. Maybe because as a child, it's where I always wanted to be. I remember being in the lobby and falling in love. But when we went in 2008, my now middle child was 10 months old and crawling. I put her down in the room as we got settled, and her hands and socks were black from the dirty floor. It was quickly rectified, but it was not a good start. I remember the CM at the front desk at check in was one of the less smiley types. We had first floor near the door, but it was actually great because they'd installed a bunch of plants around our patio for privacy from the door. All in all, it just wasn't our favorite. Oddly enough, CR is. It doesn't have that immersion quality, but we sure do like that walk to the MK!

tikiman

Just checked yesterday and the Electrical Water Pageant is not any different than it has been for years. I was glad to see the parade is unaffected.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Just that it was pushed out to August because they need to concentrate more work on the DVC area first.
Thanks. Just switched our June ressie from Poly to GF out of fear the pool would be closed. We were booked Hawaii and I was also afraid the water construction would distract from our views. Love my beloved Poly, but will wait to return in 2015.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom