Would you like to see Disney Skyliner expand to all 4 parks and see the newly planned Brightline Train eventually connect WDW?

mergatroid

What about all those people passing out in the cabins we were promised would happen every day? How many have died using this transportation so far? And now you want to increase the use of this 'death trap'? Oh the humanity, somebody think about the children!!!!!
Jim Carrey Omg GIF

JoeCamel

Since my family still gets confused on the route of the Skyliner, I do not want to see it expanded…lol. Seriously, every time we are here I have to explain to them that there isn’t a direct line from Epcot to DHS and that you have to transfer at Caribbean Beach. I would use the Brightline once it is built from Tampa to Orlando just to avoid the mess that I-4 is. It took me close to three hours to drive from St. Petersburg to WDW a few weeks ago. Anything to relieve that stress.
Don't you kind of have to exit at the transfer station and there is signage to get to DHS?
They are confused by that?

RandySavage

God, no. I was anti-Skyliner from the day it was announced and like it much less since it has opened. I find its wires & towers to be an eyesore (I felt the same way about the Skyway in MK), it kills once-carefully-considered scale & vistas (see world showcase). On the other hand, Boats & Monorails enhance the land/waterscapes of WDW.

I can easily see them expanding it, however, as management seem hellbent on cluttering, over-developing & uglifying the property with all means available to them.

vikescaper

Don't you kind of have to exit at the transfer station and there is signage to get to DHS?
They are confused by that?
They aren’t the most observant. When we stayed at Caribbean Beach last month, I gave up and sent them a copy of the Skyliner map. It didn’t help……

JoeCamel

They aren’t the most observant. When we stayed at Caribbean Beach last month, I gave up and sent them a copy of the Skyliner map. It didn’t help……
You should have sent @danlb_2000 's map from the first posts of the skyliner thread, it is about as clear as it gets with visuals from above. If they don't get that I would leave them to the gators and move on.

choco choco

God, no. I was anti-Skyliner from the day it was announced and like it much less since it has opened. I find its wires & towers to be an eyesore (I felt the same way about the Skyway in MK), it kills once-carefully-considered scale & vistas (see world showcase). On the other hand, Boats & Monorails enhance the land/waterscapes of WDW.

I can easily see them expanding it, however, as management seem hellbent on cluttering, over-developing & uglifying the property with all means available to them.

I don't feel like the Skyliner is any more of a visual eyesore than the monorail. The skinny cables are much less intrusive - and so much higher up - than the concrete beams. I'd like to see you elaborate on that.

I love the boats at Walt Disney World. I consider the ferry to Magic Kingdom and the ferry between Epcot and DHS to be the two best rides on property. But even I'd admit that they are too slow.

As for the original question, I feel like connecting Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom would do the Florida property wonders. Help spread out people much more smoothly. I really don't have a preference for which one they choose, although it seems like Skyliner would be the most cost efficient.

RandySavage

I don't feel like the Skyliner is any more of a visual eyesore than the monorail. The skinny cables are much less intrusive - and so much higher up - than the concrete beams. I'd like to see you elaborate on that.
If you'd like me to... IMO, the Skyliner mars every vista it enters. It reminds me of ubiquitous high-power lines, boardwalk skyways or ski mountain gondolas... ugly but necessary stuff we experience regularly in normal life. Imagine each of the below views if the Skyliner didn't exist. They would be better. Not saying it isn't a fun ride or a great convenience for certain hotels. For me, neither of those is nearly as valuable a tradeoff for losing how unique & amazing WDW looked and felt - in the macro - before all the visionless, I-4 style, max-RoI development of Iger/Chapek era (Bay Lake Tower being the opening salvo and Skyliner being a more recent one).
dreamstime_s_159779882.jpg
everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-disney-world-skyliner-2-600x400.jpg
D1Jx7ajXgAAuH9k.jpg
the-back-of-the-tower-of-terror-was-designed-to-blend-in-with-epcot-16026970904.jpg
the-back-of-the-tower-of-terror-was-designed-to-blend-in-with-epcot-1602697090.jpg

Conversely, the monorail trains make every vista they enter more unique and awesome. Its beams are smooth & monolithic (and now a little dirty, yes), and become part of landscape (though I wouldn't mind if they let vines grow on them). While the Skyliner wires & pylons are noticeably chaotic & jarring (to my eye & brain):
2020-general-magic-kingdom-contemporary-monorail.jpg

imagine_mono.jpg

Monorail_Castle_SpaceMountain.jpg
mcsp-red-disney-world-monorail-1024x683.jpg

Disstevefan1

They have the land and the roads, just build dedicated bus lanes across property. Use tunnels and overpasses to bypass traffic lights. A bus that never has to stop on World drive would be the fastest transportation in Wdw.
I agree this would be the best solution.

I am guessing to the bean counters at TWDC figured the Skyliner is the least expensive over time?

It's expensive to train and keep the bus drivers along with all the other expenses and liabilities associated with busses.

It seems to me, any cast member will some training can operate the Skyliner and the expenses and liabilities associated are (probably) lower over the long run and it's a green form of transport right out of the box.

The Brightline will just be a very expensive failure....

TrainsOfDisney

While we're on the subject of blue-sky WDW transportation infrastructure, a steam train (faux or real) connecting Port Orleans and Dixie Landings with Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge and The Magic Kingdom would be a nifty ride and theme appropriate.

Practical? Probably not. But it would look nice.
Now we are talking!!!

I’ve always wanted to see a New Orleans style streetcar connecting Port Orleans FQ, Riverside, and Disney Springs. Would be easy to have it connect to Epcot as well.

Fox&Hound

Oh I looooooved the Skyliner when we went in Dec. It was a true game changer staying at POP. A fun, efficient mode of transportation that allowed for beautiful views around the property. My father has DVC at BayLake and it struck me that the monorail hotels (Poly, Contemporary, GF, and BL) are beautiful in their own right, but are wonderful in their proximity and direct access to MK and Epcot. But for the price point, to be able to access Epcot and DHS from POP in a short Skyliner ride: Yes, please. =) I hate heights and was worried about the experience on the Skyliner but wow- it was my favorite part of my trip.

lazyboy97o

Now we are talking!!!

I’ve always wanted to see a New Orleans style streetcar connecting Port Orleans FQ, Riverside, and Disney Springs. Would be easy to have it connect to Epcot as well.
It is ridiculous that imitating The Grove and Americana didn’t include the streetcars. Even worse with the railroad elements that are part of the Disney Springs backstory. They even could have shared development costs with Disney’s California Adventure.

TrainsOfDisney

It is ridiculous that imitating The Grove and Americana didn’t include the streetcars. Even worse with the railroad elements that are part of the Disney Springs backstory. They even could have shared development costs with Disney’s California Adventure.
A trolley / streetcar line actually makes quite a bit of thematic sense for Springs, Old Key West, and Port Orleans. A spur line off to Epcot would be very easy to do.

(Yes it would involve a flyover over Epcot Center Drive but the distance is quite short).

mergatroid

As much as I like the Skyliner, I don't think all parks should have it. That's just my personal taste, it doesn't make that right. It looks whimsical to me and I just think if it covered every park it would lose something? Then again, it's not my decision. :D

mergatroid

A trolley / streetcar line actually makes quite a bit of thematic sense for Springs, Old Key West, and Port Orleans. A spur line off to Epcot would be very easy to do.

(Yes it would involve a flyover over Epcot Center Drive but the distance is quite short).
Indeed, it would look and feel nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom