Would you go on Big Thunder If It Was Open?

Would you ride BTM at WDW if not in rehab?

• Yes

Votes: 166 92.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 7 3.9%

• Total voters

Scooter

Originally posted by wdwforus
Have you stopped driving after you got in a car accident? Not me!!!! Its tragic what happened but I am not going to let it ruin my fun.

This is like comparing apples to oranges.:lol:

If you are in a car accident most people don't have an option. They HAVE to drive in order to get around.

I bet alot of people WOULD stop driving after a deadly driving accicent involving a fatality if they had other options that were convieniant.

If you were in a plane crash where several people were killed and you were severly injured and laid up for 6 months would you be eager to hop back on an airplane after you healed?

I bet alot of people wouldn't because they have other OPTIONS...like DRIVING.

I'm not going to stop riding Big Thunder Mountain Railroad but I bet some of the people that were on the train that tragic day will think about it for awhile before they ride it again..if ever.

Mirage

I'd ride it in a heart beat!!!!
I mean, common it's more dangerous to ride in a car...and we all gotta die sometime right, dying at Disney wouldn't be a half bad way to go

strobe

Once Disney has declared BTMR safe, I would absolutely ride it. I am sure, after an event like this, they will take whatever precautions necessary to fix the ride and make it safe.

The_CEO

Originally posted by strobe
Once Disney has declared BTMR safe, I would absolutely ride it. I am sure, after an event like this, they will take whatever precautions necessary to fix the ride and make it safe.

But obviously disney's SAFE... Isn't as safe as we thought.

wdwforus

Originally posted by Scooter
This is like comparing apples to oranges.:lol:

If you are in a car accident most people don't have an option. They HAVE to drive in order to get around.

I bet alot of people WOULD stop driving after a deadly driving accicent involving a fatality if they had other options that were convieniant.

If you were in a plane crash where several people were killed and you were severly injured and laid up for 6 months would you be eager to hop back on an airplane after you healed?

I bet alot of people wouldn't because they have other OPTIONS...like DRIVING.

I'm not going to stop riding Big Thunder Mountain Railroad but I bet some of the people that were on the train that tragic day will think about it for awhile before they ride it again..if ever.

Why dont we have an option to NOT drive? There are other means of transportation. I rode a bike to work for almost 2 years. We drive because of the conveinance. I totally agree that those people involved might have a different outlook on things after such an accident. While I was riding my bike to work a guy ran out from in front of a bus that I couldnt see around and I ran into him. It almost killed the man. Did I stop riding my bike? Yeah, only till I got it fixed. There is always an option, so I dont agree with your statement of apples and oranges.

Punkss

Sorry i know i've kind of missed on something but what exactly happened? I have ridden the BTMRR a few times and would have no problems riding it again even though there was an accident.

I worked at a theme park here in the UK (called Thorpe Park) and we had about 5 "incidents" 2 serious (no deaths though) in the 2 years i was there. Nobody stopped riding the rides or visiting the park despite heavy local press coverage and even in the national papers. Mostly when there are problems or accidents it only serves to make things better and safer when more checks and better components are brought in.

Scooter

Originally posted by wdwforus
Why dont we have an option to NOT drive? There are other means of transportation. I rode a bike to work for almost 2 years. We drive because of the conveinance. I totally agree that those people involved might have a different outlook on things after such an accident. While I was riding my bike to work a guy ran out from in front of a bus that I couldnt see around and I ran into him. It almost killed the man. Did I stop riding my bike? Yeah, only till I got it fixed. There is always an option, so I dont agree with your statement of apples and oranges.

How many Corporate excecs do you see peddling to work?:lol:

The key word here is "Convieniance"

Riding a bike may be great for College students, city dwellers and Newspaper boys...but it's not convieniant for the majority of Suburbanite White and Blue Collar workers.

I rarely see a Tradesman ie Bricklayer, Carpenter, Drywaller, Glazer, Roofer riding their bikes to work or taking public Transportation or Taxis...unless of course they have lost their drivers license due to a DUI or other offense.

:lookaroun

Most adults drive 20 to 30 minutes to work each way nowadays...Not driving is NOT an option..it's a necessary evil.

:)

Originally posted by The_CEO

Yea, but compare how many people go through the Disney gates every day for the past several decades and how many people ride the thrill rides, and compare that to how many deaths and/or injuries they have had. Yes the death is very tragic but doesn't Disney have a very good safety record. There have been millions if not billions of people to enter their gates since Disneyland opened and how many deaths have they had. Yes, one death is one too many, but what in this world has an absolutely complete safety guarantee. I think they do their best, why wouldn't they. Sorry for the rant, I know this has been covered before on other threads and this is not what this thread is about so.......

YES I would ride it as soon as they open it.

bearboysnc

Originally posted by The_CEO

DisneyLAND's safe isn't as safe as we thought.

The new laws in California involve tons of red tape, the maintenance crews spend more time on documentaion, than they do actually looking over attractions.

tinkerbell2

I would have no problem riding it. I think what happened at Disneyland was just a freak accident. All rides have some problems every now and then, some are just worse than others.

MelBelle

I'd ride it again, but only during an E-ride night, because I've never found that ride fun during the day and having to wait in line for it! The effects and scenery are much nicer at night too :p

mickey04

Originally posted by bearboysnc
DisneyLAND's safe isn't as safe as we thought.

The new laws in California involve tons of red tape, the maintenance crews spend more time on documentaion, than they do actually looking over attractions.
I also thought I read somewhere that TDA's (Team Disney Anaheim's) maitence and safety crew hasn't been expanded since DCA opened- meaning the smae # of people prepare 2 parks as used to prepare one park! Yup, just another one of Disney's amazingbudget cuts only now its gotten them in trouble. Hopefully, this will cause Disney to realize they can't put a price on guest safety, and get DL back to the levels of quality it deserves.

On a side note, I think I read WDW's maitence is much better- this may be becuase of CA laws like bearboysnc said, or maybe just the poor management style of TDA vs. WDW

Billy6

BTM

I would still ride it....one of my faves..

question: How similar, dissimilar is the one at DL to the one at WDW,...or is it a carbon copy???

I now there is a very different version elsewhere in the world..that does inversions..possibly in France DLP

mickey04

Re: BTM

-
Originally posted by Billy6
I would still ride it....one of my faves..

question: How similar, dissimilar is the one at DL to the one at WDW,...or is it a carbon copy???

I now there is a very different version elsewhere in the world..that does inversions..possibly in France DLP
The one at DL is not an exact copy- i know that for sure- one cool feature that WDW doesn't have is a water splash.

Im also farely certian that no BTMR has any inversions and are all fairly similar. I know for a fact that its not the one at DLP. Maybe your thinking of Space Mountain? :confused:

RogueHabit

Personally I would have not worry about riding BTM. It was just one of those things.

It's tragic, but the odds are definitely in your favour, 1 death in how many millions of people.

Natelox

i would ride it with out even thinking, just run into the line..

and for the record...i haven't heard of many planned accients (in refrence to the statment above).

rokcandy

I'd ride it, no problem. After being on coasters much higher in the 'thrill' catagory, some proceding major accidents, this wouldn't worry me at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom