Would WDW ever consider adult scary haunts

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think in this country most people suffer from some degree of sign fatigue, with a warning sign of some sort on just about everything from guns to granola it gets to a point that people don't bother to read the signs anymore.
Well THIS country has begun to publicly embrace/celebrate stupidity…more each day.

Perhaps it was “defiant reading fatigue”?

Tom P.

Because as it stands they are letting every penny for this type of entertainment for this age group go to competition.
Well, Disney Studios lets every penny of XXX movie revenue go to other companies as well, but I don't see that changing either. (The filter won't let me say the word I intended to use instead of XXX but there is a very prominent and financially successful Web site one might say is a "hub" for it.)

There are just certain things that Disney doesn't want its brand associated with, and the horror take on Halloween is one of them. I, for one, am happy with that. Universal's approach to Halloween entertainment is ubiquitous at this time of year. You are inundated with it everywhere. I for one get sick of it and appreciate Disney doing something different.

Afterthought

Original Poster
Well, Disney Studios lets every penny of XXX movie revenue go to other companies as well, but I don't see that changing either. (The filter won't let me say the word I intended to use instead of XXX but there is a very prominent and financially successful Web site one might say is a "hub" for it.)

There are just certain things that Disney doesn't want its brand associated with, and the horror take on Halloween is one of them. I, for one, am happy with that. Universal's approach to Halloween entertainment is ubiquitous at this time of year. You are inundated with it everywhere. I for one get sick of it and appreciate Disney doing something different.
I can't agree with comparing a few scare houses and mazes with some non grotesque jump scares and haunts with anything to do with XXX. As I mention before these more intense Halloween events would not be as extreme as HHN, and would not contain theme of blood and killing. Just maybe something like people miss about Alien Encounter or some of the walkthrough others shared example of at Hong Kong and Paris. And again I too like how Disney does different at MK and keeps things non scary for children and people who don't want scary. That would never leave. My idea would be just to add this to Studios for special event nights this time of year, not taking away anything from what goes on at MK.

Afterthought

Original Poster
Wasn't Alien Encounter cancelled in part because it was too scary?
Yes but that was a permanent Tomorrowland attraction.
This idea would only be for those who choose to buy tickets for after hours few nights during Halloween season. Not something operating every day or even during regular operating hours. If this event seemed too scary for their taste there is always MK parties happening.

Tom P.

I can't agree with comparing a few scare houses and mazes with some non grotesque jump scares and haunts with anything to do with XXX. As I mention before these more intense Halloween events would not be as extreme as HHN, and would not contain theme of blood and killing. Just maybe something like people miss about Alien Encounter or some of the walkthrough others shared example of at Hong Kong and Paris. And again I too like how Disney does different at MK and keeps things non scary for children and people who don't want scary. That would never leave. My idea would be just to add this to Studios for special event nights this time of year, not taking away anything from what goes on at MK.
Just difference of opinion. I'd prefer they not do something like this. I just don't want it at Walt Disney World.

JMcMahonEsq

What would the real point be? From Disney's perspective they would have to spend money to create a new event, that is to serve a niche of a niche, of a niche market.

You would be asking to create an event that is not as extreme as HHN, but scarier than MMNSHP. Why go through all the efforts for such a small demographic?

kimberlymautz

Like others have said, I think Disney has a lot of opportunity for it, but I don't think we'll see it WDW unfortunately.
I think it's a fun idea though.
If anything I think they'll be more likely to bring in a Villains spot, maybe similar to DL. I hope they do anyway.

JIMINYCR

I think in this country most people suffer from some degree of sign fatigue, with a warning sign of some sort on just about everything from guns to granola it gets to a point that people don't bother to read the signs anymore.
This explanation …. but also people’s thinking was “It’s Disney… it can’t be that bad because they’ve never had things that scary”. There were scare moments to Toad and Snow White that some complained about but not to the level Aliens brought. And it was, at the scariest moment, a completely dark environment which was different than any other and you were personally targeted by the Alien in your trapped seating.
They should have realized an attraction based around the Alien character would be more over the top, they should have sought out more info to see if it was appropriate for their kids, but again it wasn’t something expected from Disney.
Bye bye attraction.

lifeguard1020

Working in the haunt industry, I can see an separately ticketed/self contained haunted house at Disney Springs. Just have a small "Scare Zone" in front of and near the attraction. They could get customers from all over who wouldn't need to pay for a park admission. This would also bring more foot traffic (and money) to the stores there.
Doing things this way would keep the family image of the parks clean, yet still have a practical competition to HHN.

Disstevefan1

Although personally I would love to see this, and I think the WDW creative folks would do a great job but WDW can barely get the work done to maintain their current offerings.

Besides, there is no incentive for WDW to do this.

It does not matter what they offer or do not offer, folks are still going to show up.

jloucks

Don't forget, right next door, Uni brings their triple A game every year. That is a juggernaut of competition.

Also a little proof WDW is for kids :p

jloucks

Although personally I would love to see this, and I think the WDW creative folks would do a great job but WDW can barely get the work done to maintain their current offerings.

Besides, there is no incentive for WDW to do this.

It does not matter what they offer or do not offer, folks are still going to show up.
I had to read that a couple times to catch the wisdom.

You're right, they are coming either way and paying extra to do so.

Maybe they would pay even more for extra extra? 🤷‍♂️

Lilofan

Don't forget, right next door, Uni brings their triple A game every year. That is a juggernaut of competition.

Also a little proof WDW is for kids :p
And part of Uni is Citywalk. Kudos to them enacting teenager curfew with exceptions during the weekend due to local kids creating trouble at Citywalk.

jloucks

Yes it was. At the same time if people just read the warning signs before going in there wouldn't be so many complaints
You get enough of them involved (people) and you will have complaints about everthing.

You start to lose faith in humanity when no matter what you do, people complain. You cannot win. It's funny. ...or sad. Ima just go with funny.

Disstevefan1

I had to read that a couple times to catch the wisdom.

You're right, they are coming either way and paying extra to do so.

Maybe they would pay even more for extra extra? 🤷‍♂️
True, whenever there is an opportunity to make MORE MONEY its possible.

Maybe another hard ticket for adults and young adults, event like, "Mickey's Very Scary Halloween Party"

I can see this happening in the Studios with Mummies, zombies and chainsaws!

But again, it will still depend on having and paying the people to make it happen.

It feels like they have a resource problem right now.

The pandemic did more than provide the opportunity for WDW to lay off thousands of cast members.

It gave the cast members the opportunity to rethink if they want to work at WDW.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom