Would WDW ever consider adult scary haunts

JIMINYCR

Also to mention when I say adult and scary, that doesn't mean blood, gore, or many of the intense themes HHN has in their haunts.
Thinking more like the level of the old and missed Alien Encounter attraction type. Those scares aimed at older audience, or walkthrough mazes with the level of scares from Alien in the old Great Movie Ride now extinct. And also unlike Universal, this event at WDW would not leave its props and sets out all day at the park. During normal park hours there would be no sign of the more intense scare event. You have to purchase a ticket and stay for the after hours, keeping regular operation the Disney family friendly we all know.
I love the example some of you showed from DL Paris and Hong Kong DL. Just like that, maybe cash in on some of the newly acquired horror Disney received after buying Fox. I agree too Studios would be the best option if this addition ever came to be.
Again .. even without the gore and blood ….no. To set up would mean shutting the park early to install the props for an event that evening and tear down after the evening is over so props wouldn’t be there for park opening. Too much work and not enough time to make it work in that time period.
Disney removed Alien for a reason. They have height restrictions, they could have had age restrictions. They could have made it an adult only attraction if they wanted to provide a scarier adult themed attraction for those of us who wanted more.
A DHS ToT guest costumed race through isn’t the same.
I will bet the house that you won’t see it happen.

ppete1975

IF they were smart they could do a scarier disneyfied haunt.
No jump scares, nobody following you, nothing disturbing or bloody.
But at studios they could do a villains event. Lights much lower, fog everywhere and the villains walking around. (that would be spookier and more adult than mickeys not so scary), add in a villains overlay to RNRC maybe tower, a stage show or 2 and tons of meet and greets with candy trails.
I would also like disneylands forest but I doubt they could do that (unless it was done at AK)

So instead of gore, scary mazes, jump scares and people acosting you.

overlays, darkness, fog, stage shows, candy, meet and greets and roaming villains.

Would be cheap, and would sell out esp with how the villains are wanted so badly.

Lilofan

But at studios they could do a villains event. Lights much lower, fog everywhere and the villains walking around. (that would be spookier and more adult than mickeys not so scary), add in a villains overlay to RNRC maybe tower, a stage show or 2 and tons of meet and greets with candy trails.
I would also like disneylands forest but I doubt they could do that (unless it was done at AK)

overlays, darkness, fog, stage shows, candy, meet and greets and roaming villains.

Would be cheap, and would sell out esp with how the villains are wanted so badly.
What makes some kids cry hysterically and have to leave the theatre with mom and dad is when sitting at the Tough to be a Bug show at AK. Those crawling critters on the back of your seat can surprise some.

JohnD

While not likely, I could only foresee it at the Studios. Already have Tower of Terror which would be the anchor. The compactness of the park makes this more feasible. Star Wars Launch Bay could be converted as well.

JIMINYCR

They have run Villains events in the past that were extremely popular. I remember the first one we attended the roadways in were jam packed and at a standstill. That shows how popular Villains are with guests and the draw for such events would be very profitable for Disney. Shows, characters, event specific food and merch and you don’t need to have park wide props or an adult only event as proposed by the OP.

SteveAZee

I think they had trouble with "Alien Encounter" is that it was too scary for some families, and Pleasure Island being more geared for adults, but was ultimately shut down and replaced. I don't if there'd be enough guests wanting to this to have it take over one of the four parks, but it would be nice to have something akin to Pleasure Island come back in a smaller scale and have it geared more for adults... at which point they could do a more gory Halloween overlay. Sometimes they do try out the smaller scale stuff (like the Star Wars hotel) so I guess it's possible.

Jrb1979

It will never happen. Too much backlash from those parents with littles. Look at the complaints about Universal cause their little can't ride anything.

Afterthought

Original Poster
Too much backlash from those parents with littles.
I'm not so sure this would be common if the family friendly party is also taking place just down the road at MK. This would be just another entertainment offering, not taking anything away from the WDW Halloween events we enjoy now.

Afterthought

Original Poster
I think they had trouble with Alien Encounter is that it was too scary for some families, and Pleasure Island being more geared for adults, but was ultimately shut down and replaced.
True, but those were also full time year round rather than just a few hours on select Sep Oct nights at a extra price for those audiences who want to participate.

Afterthought

Original Poster
This product exists elsewhere in the park down the road. Why would Disney want to do the same thing?
Because as it stands they are letting every penny for this type of entertainment for this age group go to competition.

Disney's version of Halloween is sweet and a refreshing take on the holiday.
I agree completely and still would be. This would be an alternative at Hollywood Studios on same nights. MK parties would still go on.

MickeyLuv'r

What makes some kids cry hysterically and have to leave the theatre with mom and dad is when sitting at the Tough to be a Bug show at AK. Those crawling critters on the back of your seat can surprise some.
Yet WDW has kept the attraction for many years. It is interesting that they removed Alien Encounter and GMR, but kept ITtbaB and HM.

My first though was that WDW is not likely to replicate Universal, but plenty of WDW fans crave more Villains.

Disney is currently promoting Hocus Pocus 2. I think there is room for WDW to market the HP movies in the parks, and maybe toss in some villains or Star Wars.

I could totally see WDW adding some kind of Halloween Star Wars experience to HS.

Then again, do we really want TWO parks to close early for Halloween events?

Cmdr_Crimson

I believe DHS has a Villians merchandise location that also sells sweet treats?
Villians in Vogue is gone and replaced Sunset Sweets and switched it with Toy Story merch...But, now that they have a dedicated story in TSL It would be nice for it to switch it back...

Cmdr_Crimson

Yet WDW has kept the attraction for many years. It is interesting that they removed Alien Encounter and GMR, but kept ITtbaB and HM.

My first though was that WDW is not likely to replicate Universal, but plenty of WDW fans crave more Villains.

Disney is currently promoting Hocus Pocus 2. I think there is room for WDW to market the HP movies in the parks, and maybe toss in some villains or Star Wars.

I could totally see WDW adding some kind of Halloween Star Wars experience to HS.

Then again, do we really want TWO parks to close early for Halloween events?
Closest thing to any creepy is Zombie Captain America during Oogie Boogie bash at DCA..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom