Would it be a tragedy if...?

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
Would it be a tragedy if we skipped the films in the WS at Epcot & just visit the countries?
We have been to the WS, but we have never seen any of the films.
We are going in Sept. w/ our family of 5 & my in-laws.
What do you think?
Would we be missing anything great by skipping the films?
:veryconfu :wave:

CThaddeus

Depends on how well you really want to know these countries. In my opinion, seeing their stores and restaurants tells me a little. Seeing fake replicas of famous landmarks doesn't tell me much more. But, a movie about the country itself gives a lot more information about the place. I get more out of the five minute Spirit of Norway film than I do in all of the rest of the pavilion...especially Maelstrom. Some find the films boring, but my guess is they're usually the ones who'd rather just ride Maelstrom and Test Track. They're looking for thrills in a Park that wasn't really supposed to be about that. World Showcase is about getting to know your fellow man (and his/her life) around the world, and Impressions de France, O' Canada, Reflections of China, Spirit of Norway, and American Adventure do that in spades. I never miss any of the films, and I find I spend very little time in countries that don't offer some kind of attraction. I would highly recommend them all.

primetime52

Personally, I don't watch the films anymore. However, I do feel that all of them are worth seeing at least once. The reason why I generally avoid them is because none of them have really changed (to my knowledge) in the past 15 years, and those aren't the type of films that I like to watch more than once. All of them are well made and give you a great picture of the various cultures and beautiful landscapes.

Skip them if you want, but I'd say they are worth watching since you've never seen them before.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Personally, I don't watch the films anymore. However, I do feel that all of them are worth seeing at least once. The reason why I generally avoid them is because none of them have really changed (to my knowledge) in the past 15 years, and those aren't the type of films that I like to watch more than once. All of them are well made and give you a great picture of the various cultures and beautiful landscapes.

Skip them if you want, but I'd say they are worth watching since you've never seen them before.
I think Norway's film is being or has just been updated and Oh Canada is changing in August. Two for your next trip :D

cb3k

i think they are worth seeing esp china's film. very well done.
I would agree that China's film is definitely worth seeing, however I find the other films to be particularly boring. With Norway I feel like they are trapping me in a little Norwegian village and forcing me to watch their background, because upon exiting Maelstrom you wait in what looks like a scene from the GMR and cannot exit without at least passing through their theater. I can't really knock the film because I am always so relieved that they have released me from their bonds of slavery that I sprint through the theater as fast as possible and make a mad dash outside. I guess I never cared to watch it because the ride gave me the impression that the whole country was Trolls, Oil Rigs, Lumber, and Polar Bears...Oh yea, and their famous Norwegian Cruise Line......But go ahead...why not, take a break from the heat and give your feet a rest, and if you happen to nod off during the film don't feel bad...it happens pretty regularly

Vernonpush

I think they are worth seeing, especially if you've never been to that country. Do your In-laws travel the world, and have visited those places? They might enjoy the films. Canada & China are 360 Circlevision films, and i can understand not liking to stand during the films. France is more like a Cinemascope film, but be careful, comfortable seats in the cool dark theater with clasical music puts some to sleep :lol: . If you have the time in your schedule they are nice, and if you miss them then there's always "next time".

Since1976

I don't know why one would make a conscious plan to skip *anything.* It's your vacation -- go where your heart takes you. On our last trip, one of the most relaxing and unplanned things we did was sneak away to check out the Impressions de France film an hour before Illuminations was to start. The mix of the air-conditioned theater, the beautiful images, and the wonderful music were like a sweet confection at (nearly) the end of a tiring day.

I love the China and France ones, both are extremely beautiful. I'm looking forward to the new Canada one (the current one is too dated) - but think the Norway one is awful. How such a beautiful country could inspire such a turgid film is beyond me.

Tinkerbella16

With Norway I feel like they are trapping me in a little Norwegian village and forcing me to watch their background, because upon exiting Maelstrom you wait in what looks like a scene from the GMR and cannot exit without at least passing through their theater. I can't really knock the film because I am always so relieved that they have released me from their bonds of slavery that I sprint through the theater as fast as possible and make a mad dash outside. I guess I never cared to watch it because the ride gave me the impression that the whole country was Trolls, Oil Rigs, Lumber, and Polar Bears...Oh yea, and their famous Norwegian Cruise Line......But go ahead...why not, take a break from the heat and give your feet a rest, and if you happen to nod off during the film don't feel bad...it happens pretty regularly

I could not have said it better myself. :sohappy:

wickedfan07

I saw some of the WS movies for the first time this June. I enjoyed Reflections of China a lot, which surprised me. (I thought it would be kind of boring.) O Canada was okay, but by the time you go, there will be an updated movie. I missed Impressions de France, so I can't comment on that. And Norway isn't running the movie right now, at least as of 6/29.

Lucky

I would agree that China's film is definitely worth seeing, however I find the other films to be particularly boring. With Norway I feel like they are trapping me in a little Norwegian village and forcing me to watch their background, because upon exiting Maelstrom you wait in what looks like a scene from the GMR and cannot exit without at least passing through their theater. I can't really knock the film because I am always so relieved that they have released me from their bonds of slavery that I sprint through the theater as fast as possible and make a mad dash outside. I guess I never cared to watch it because the ride gave me the impression that the whole country was Trolls, Oil Rigs, Lumber, and Polar Bears...Oh yea, and their famous Norwegian Cruise Line......But go ahead...why not, take a break from the heat and give your feet a rest, and if you happen to nod off during the film don't feel bad...it happens pretty regularly
My wife had the same reaction. She insisted on exiting through the building - which means walking through backstage and cleaning areas - rather than being forced to wait for the film. We'll do Maelstrom without her next time.

poohbear6103

I kind of like the Norway movie. I agree it's all over the place but I think that adds to it's charm. Oh Canada is nice. I like the song on it. I just hate standing there. I know I did France but don't remember it and never got to see China's. Since many above have said it is good, I will have to try it this September. For us it is a great air-conditioned break considering when we go the weather is beyond hot!

cb3k

My wife had the same reaction. She insisted on exiting through the building - which means walking through backstage and cleaning areas - rather than being forced to wait for the film. We'll do Maelstrom without her next time.
Haha, that is great....don't do it without her, if I had that good of an escape artist with me I would bring her on it again and again...My strategy consisted of pulling on all of the hanging lanterns expecting a trap door to open up.

bgraham34

I dont watch the films anymore. I have seen them many times and I just dont like watching them anymore. But I always eat in the countries and enjoy it.

wdwmomof3

I think that they are worth seeing, at least once. I was amazed by the film in China. We didn't watch the one about Norway because I was so mad by the time they released us from the ride that I decided to skip it. I still don't understand why they set it up like this. Anyway, I would try to see them if you can. :)

lilmizpixie3

I usually skip the films, but i've seen them atleast 10 times. If they changed them often i might stay. But when they give you an option to sit or go...haha i pick go!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Will there be a tear in the space time continuum ending all life in the universe if you do not see the films? Possibly. Will you kick yourself if you never see these films? Definitely. Norway I could take or leave it is good one time but that is about it. France and Canada are good but a little dated but that will be corrected in the near future at Canada at least. China is simply breathtaking, by far my favorite of all the film in WS. The Great wall, the stone forest and the Hunan mountains will leave you speechless.

CThaddeus

I think that they are worth seeing, at least once. I was amazed by the film in China. We didn't watch the one about Norway because I was so mad by the time they released us from the ride that I decided to skip it. I still don't understand why they set it up like this. Anyway, I would try to see them if you can. :)

I don't get this complaint and I see it on these boards a lot. There are other attractions that make you wait for the next part to begin, and I don't see people skipping over them. For example, Test Track makes you wait in line, watch the video (in essentially a holding area), then wait in another line before boarding the cars...and in my opinion the ride isn't worth the wait. Similarly, on Tower of Terror you wait in a long line, wait in a holding area, go into another holding area to watch the video, then wait in another line, then wait in another holding area, and then finally board the elevator cars (again, another attraction where the wait isn't worth the ride, in my opinion). The only difference between those two attractions and Norway's are that the rather weak ride comes first, and the real meat of the attraction - The Spirit of Norway - comes after. Yes, you have to wait for it. Is that really so awful?
I'm also amazed at how many skip the films in World Showcase. To me, that's like skipping It's Tough to be a Bug, or Muppetvision, or Haunted Mansion. Yes, they're the same every time, but I always find something new in them I didn't see or hear before. I never use them as air-conditioned sleeping rooms, either. When I'm at Disney World, I'm always fully awake (even after six straight days of nonstop go-go-go). Disney Parks are always an adrenaline rush for me. I don't feel tired until the moment I walk out the Park's exit. I guess I'm just weird that way.

doop

I've only seen O Canada and the one after Maelstrom, and they are interesting, but not worth seeing more than once in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom