Would/Have you moved to FL (in part) for WDW?

Sonconato

Sometimes I go back and forth in my thoughts on moving to Florida to be closer to WDW. If I did ever move down there, I could honestly see being closer to WDW as being one of the main reasons and I'd most likely be there fairly often. On the other hand, the excitement and anticipation I always feel for an upcoming WDW trip is a "high" that can't easily be duplicated, and I'd probably lose that if I was in a position of "well I can just go over anytime I want".

Have any of you who have moved to or within Florida done so with WDW being a big reason?
Yes...actually twice. When my husband and I planned on getting married, he had only one request, that we not remain in Boston. It was simply too expensive. He didn't care where we went, so I suggested Orlando and he was all for it! We quit our jobs, got married and moved to Orlando within a 2 week period.

The reason I say twice was that we later, after having my son, moved back up to Boston when he was 9 months old to be closer to my mother. It was a long 13 years before we had enough cold (and not enough WDW) and moved back down to Orlando. We've now lived here a total of 13 years (6 yrs the 1st time and 7 so far). We've had annual passes every year and we have yet to get tired of going.

However, since we've had a 13 year gap (with vacations to WDW in between), we've noticed a LOT of changes, some good and some not so good. In some ways, some of the changes have been worse than the original...especially with EPCOT!!! It used to be that we visited each of the parks close to equally, but we now favor MK and AK, however, we don't visit AK too often because we usually only go at night after the crowds have died down some and as all of you know, AK is a daytime park. We do love AK though, it's my husband's favorite.

So if anybody has any reservations, put that aside and come join the fun!!!:):D:happy::joyfull:

Sonconato

I will be retiring in about 6 years, and I plan to move from Dallas to the Orlando area and spend my retirement driving boats for Disney. The only downer in this plan is the weather - it's freakin' HOT in Orlando! But then it's pretty hot here in Dallas. My routine now is to be outside as much as possible, and to mentally adjust my attitude from "freakin' HOT" to "it's not so bad". I'll let you know how I'm doing as retirement approaches!
Maybe this will help you out: Move to Boston for one of their long, cold winters where you have to shovel the snow for 8 hours straight to get out of your driveway and do it again the very next day because another storm rolled through, sweating the whole time but you can't take your coat off because you're soaked and it's 20 degrees out, then I'm sure you'll say..."Gee, being freakin HOT isn't so bad after all". I've been there, done that...and it's not fun!

FettFan

Have any of you who have moved to or within Florida done so with WDW being a big reason?

No. Dude, no.

In fact the only reason I'd ever move to Florida for WDW is if I was offered a six-digit salaried position there.

For me to just uproot everything and move to Florida for no reason but to be closer to the theme parks is horribly irresponsible at best....and cult-like zealotry at worst.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
A little bit... More for Universal and the convenience of being close to the Disney bahama cruise ship port.

I live in Tampa and we go quite a lot (surprised my AP hasn't been revoked, lol) since Disney/Orlando is just an hour drive. I was thinking about moving to Boston for better job opportunities but one of the actual reasons I have stayed besides friends and family living here was that I wouldn't be able to go to Disney/Orlando as often.

Disney/Orlando is a great weekend escape (and FL AP ends up being so cheap if you use it), I couldn't imagine leaving that behind and making it an annual trip instead.

I find it fascinating whether at the parks or hotels that these (british,etc) tourists traveled so far to bring their families to something right in my backyard. I actually figured more people than not would be from Florida on this board. I should seriously upload current events and photos of work being done since I'm there so often...

PrincessJenn5795

Nope. My husband have talked about maybe buying a condo there someday for a vacation home, but I don't I could live there permanently. I love the weather, but there aren't a lot of opportunities for either my husband or me career wise, and I am not really sure my liberal, Seattle raised, semi-hippy self would do all that well in Florida on a long term basis. I do love to visit though.

Scott10

Being a teacher and having summers off, I would say a definite yes to the dream of moving to Florida and closer to Disney. My wife is a cake decorator and I once had her online checking out job opportunities at Disney, which I told her she would absolutely love, if she could get into that line of work through them. I had an aunt that lived in Tampa and we have vacationed there and Disney for 14 of the last 15 years. Needless to say, because we are Ohio born and raised, with all of our immediate family within a 15 minute drive, I have not won the battle to move south! I do look forward to spending MUCH more time in Florida during retirement though if I am fortunate enough to make it there someday!!! In the meantime, all I can do is continue rooting for the Buckeyes here at home and the Gators from afar!:)

LuckyOswald

I'm glad someone created this thread, because it's something I've been wondering as well. Not necessarily moving BECAUSE of the parks, but moving to Florida in general. I'm from close to @Scott10 (KY) and I do get sick of the winter weather here, and we already get pretty humid summers. I'm a Computer Science major though and it doesn't seem like there are a ton of opportunities in that field down there.

KikoKea

Yep! We are moving (from Hawaii) next summer to the Orlando area. We love WDW and visit at least yearly, so it is a major reason we chose that area since the parks, DTD, etc will play a major role in our entertainment. Plus, there are air museums nearby and DH is a pilot, air museum docent, and enjoys fixing mechanical things. There are other reasons for moving for Florida, but WDW is the reason for choosing to buy near Orlando.

Over the years, we've moved from rushing about the parks trying to get in as many rides as we can to simply enjoying the magic. We like to look for details and focus on different things, so I imagine visits will be spent looking at the different lighting designs, architectural details, hidden Mickeys again, attending concerts, trying new places to eat, people watching, or just plain regular tourist stuff like fireworks, rides, and parades. Cannot wait!

Sonconato

Several of you that have commented about the difficulty of finding a job for the middle class is correct. When we moved down here for the second time, even with knowing people, my husband had a hard time finding a job. It was right when the boom went bust so that certainly was a factor. This part of the country certainly needs to diverse to fill that void. There is supposedly a high tech development in the works but I wouldn't hold my breath. 25 years ago they were talking about this being Hollywood East...still waiting!

Tony the Tigger

Several of you that have commented about the difficulty of finding a job for the middle class is correct. When we moved down here for the second time, even with knowing people, my husband had a hard time finding a job. It was right when the boom went bust so that certainly was a factor. This part of the country certainly needs to diverse to fill that void. There is supposedly a high tech development in the works but I wouldn't hold my breath. 25 years ago they were talking about this being Hollywood East...still waiting!

But the bottom line is: if you want to make it work, you'll make it work.

Californian Elitist

I'm going to be brutally honest, moving to another state just to be closer to a theme park/resort, Disney, for that matter, comes off as very odd and unhealthily obsessive to me. Moving elsewhere because their job is seeing them, or to be closer to family is one thing, but moving to be within close proximity to a theme park is...weird.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Tony the Tigger

I'm going to be brutally honest, moving to another state just to be closer to a theme park/resort, Disney, for that matter, comes off as very odd and unhealthily obsessive to me. Moving elsewhere because their job is seeing them, or to be closer to family is one thing, but moving to be within close proximity to a theme park is...weird.

Oh, that will go over great here LOL.

Respectfully:

First of all, in the context of the original question, it IS for work - it's a very specific situation concerning a job for a retiree - and it's no secret that a lot of people move to Florida when they retire.

Second, as to the context of non-retirees moving someplace to be near a theme park: how is that much different from someone moving to Florida for the beach? Or to Colorado for skiing? People find different things that make them happy in life, and sometimes it makes sense, financially and/or emotionally, to pursue them beyond vacation time.

Moving is not a big deal, and plenty of people already live in the Greater Orlando area, and incidentally, many posters specifically indicated they were considering towns 1 to 2 hours away or more.

DisneyJunkie

Original Poster

No, no offense taken, but I think you may have misunderstood the original question. It wasn't whether or not someone would move to Florida simply for Disney (or any other theme park), as I'm sure there would be other more important reasons......but really whether or not being closer to Disney would be one of those reasons for the move.

For me, I waver between wanting to be in Kissimmee (and 10-20 minutes away from Disney) or on the gulf coast near Palm Harbor (about 1.5 hrs away).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom