Worth the hype?/Unpopular Opinion

tabby1222

I have seen a decent amount of love for Pecos Bill. We thought it was subpar.
We have a love of Pecos Bill's. I like that it is a lot of food for us, and four people with two boys who eat like adultsx2 gets expensive real fast. We are also big taco/nachos people at home. I also stop for beignets in France every time we are in Epcot. Some of the best food there, IMHO. :)

I think it really is hit or miss depending on the person. I have read a whole lot of bad reviews/negativity about Tony's. We love it. Read a whole lotta love for Flame Tree, it was OK. There have been plenty of places that we have tried that we love, and plenty that we haven't. It depends on so many factors, like servers, food quality, etc.

Now that I live in Florida, my goal is to eventually try each place. We are slowly working on that. :)

Shouldigo12

Have you ever went to a restaurant that was recommended by everyone and it didn't live up to the hype? Or have you experienced great food at a notoriously "bad" restaurant? Do you have an unpopular opinion on a disney restaurant.

Literally everyone told us that Sanaa was SOOO AMAZING! Guess what? I hated it and my husband thought it was just okay but not worth the price. Other restaurants that didn't live up to the hype or served us food we thought tasted terrible? The lunch at Be Our Guest, satu'li canteen, and dinner at spice road table. 🤢 Spice Road Table also was hands down the worst service I have ever experienced at any restaurant (disney or otherwise).

We also heard a lot of people hate on the food at Crystal Palace. Now we only eat there once and I know the quality of restaurants change regularly. However, when we eat there the food was fantastic.

What about you? What is the "to die for" restaurant you cannot stand? Or what "awful" restaurant would you recommend?
Did you go at breakfast for CP? I've also heard lunch and dinner was bad, but breakfast gets good marks.

And I agree, it was delicious! That puffed french toast is something to dream about.

Tjaden

We have a love of Pecos Bill's. I like that it is a lot of food for us, and four people with two boys who eat like adultsx2 gets expensive real fast. We are also big taco/nachos people at home. I also stop for beignets in France every time we are in Epcot. Some of the best food there, IMHO. :)

I think it really is hit or miss depending on the person. I have read a whole lot of bad reviews/negativity about Tony's. We love it. Read a whole lotta love for Flame Tree, it was OK. There have been plenty of places that we have tried that we love, and plenty that we haven't. It depends on so many factors, like servers, food quality, etc.

Now that I live in Florida, my goal is to eventually try each place. We are slowly working on that. :)
Funny how tastes can differ. I LOVE cheap Little League/Ballpark Nachos and I've always been disappointed with Pecos Bill's Nachos.

Minnesota disney fan

Our biggest disappointment was Homecomin. I don't know if it was an "off" day or our taste buds were off? but...……….
The chicken was okay. The mashed potatoes were runny and had a funny tasting spice in them. Totally off putting. The biscuits were too cheesey for our taste. So disappointing. We are from the South and love southern cooking, but this missed our mark.
Others love it, so maybe it was an off day? Or it could be we all have different tastes???:)

PiratesMansion

Restaurants that didn't live up to the hype: Via Napoli (x 2; never again), Homecomin', Boma, Pecos Bill's.
Restaurant that declined precipitously between visits: BOG Lunch
Restaurants that lived up to the hype: Brown Derby, Sanaa, Jiko, Raglan Road, Tiffin's
Pleasant surprises: Liberty Tree Tavern

Last edited:

Mr Mindcrime

For my wife and I, restaurants that didn't measure up to the hype: Columbia Harbor House (we get a chuckle when we read time and time again how many people love this place), Raglan Road, and Pecos Bill on our last trip was pretty awful, though we've loved it through the years.
On the plus side, we love BOMA, Sci Fi, Kona Cafe, and House of Blues, among many others. To us, those measured up to the suggestions we were given.

On another note, the wifey and I actually like eating in Cosmic Rays if we can get a table by the window overlooking the Castle and Main Street, more for the view than the food :cool:

PiratesMansion

Yeah, that Columbia Harbor House recommendation falls flat if you don't like seafood.

But seriously, there are more people than there should be that fall into that trap of "but MK has great counter service options like CHH, BOG lunch (lol), and Pecos Bill's!!1!" as I roll my eyes, wondering if these are the people that willingly dine at places like Sbarro or White Castle and keep them in business.

docandsix

Our biggest disappointment was Homecomin. I don't know if it was an "off" day or our taste buds were off? but...……….
The chicken was okay. The mashed potatoes were runny and had a funny tasting spice in them. Totally off putting. The biscuits were too cheesey for our taste. So disappointing. We are from the South and love southern cooking, but this missed our mark.
Others love it, so maybe it was an off day? Or it could be we all have different tastes???:)

We spent 10 days at WDW last summer, eating at least one full-service restaurant each day. At the end of our trip, everyone agreed that Homecomin’ was the only restaurant that we absolutely must do the next time around. (Though Sana’a, Le Cellier, and Skipper Canteen were also hits.) The food was excellent (so good that my wife bought the cookbook) and the service was better. The server assured us that we would love everything, gave great advice regarding menu items, and offered to replace anything we didn’t like at no charge. Unprecedented attention and warmth from a harried Disney Springs server attending to a family of eight with a 7-year-old. No one was disappointed by anything and we regularly request meals from the cookbook at home.

Minnesota disney fan

We spent 10 days at WDW last summer, eating at least one full-service restaurant each day. At the end of our trip, everyone agreed that Homecomin’ was the only restaurant that we absolutely must do the next time around. (Though Sana’a, Le Cellier, and Skipper Canteen were also hits.) The food was excellent (so good that my wife bought the cookbook) and the service was better. The server assured us that we would love everything, gave great advice regarding menu items, and offered to replace anything we didn’t like at no charge. Unprecedented attention and warmth from a harried Disney Springs server attending to a family of eight with a 7-year-old. No one was disappointed by anything and we regularly request meals from the cookbook at home.

Glad you liked it! That's why we all have different tastes. The world wouldn't be much fun if we all went to the same place to eat. So, glad you had a great time. Any restaurant you like on this board, someone will hate it. and vice versa.

docandsix

What you don’t like high prices that you could get at the 99? Yeah, they have run that place into the ground. They need a new chef or something. Place blows now

Our one experience there, about 9-10 years ago, was marred by probably the worst service we have ever suffered at a WDW restaurant.

jaklgreen

Hands down... Boma. We have eaten there for both dinner and breakfast and both were just meh.... In general I like the buffets at Disney because I can usually find one thing that I really like. I just didn't have luck here. (Well except the zebra domes, but I wasn't going to make a meal out of that!)

You and I must have opposite tastes. I like most of the items at Boma, except for the zebra domes. I think they are nasty. But I am a baker and a bit of a pastry snob after eating many fresh items so I don't care for the mass produced stuff.

danyoung56

I think it's funny that people told you Coral Reef was good because literally every post I have read on it has been "don't go, you'll regret it." 😂 Oddly enough that's not enough to scare me away, my husband really wants to try it so it's on the list for next trip.

I'm one of the rare ones who actually enjoys the Coral Reef. I can always get good food there, and the service is almost always excellent. Plus sitting down by the glass of the aquarium makes all the difference!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I'm one of the rare ones who actually enjoys the Coral Reef. I can always get good food there, and the service is almost always excellent. Plus sitting down by the glass of the aquarium makes all the difference!

I love the fact that I can order just the lobster mac, lobster bisque and not an entire entree.

Lora Baines Bradley

As a broke CP my go-to meal in MK was Pecos Bill’s kid’s rice and bean bowl with whatever meat I’m feeling that day. Pretty good, and I’d load up on the toppings.

I thought Docking Bay 7 was meh. I got the chicken and mashed potatoes. Decent, I suppose, but not worth the price imo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom