Worth the hype?/Unpopular Opinion

Hockey89

A restaurant like Flying Fish, though, is right in line with the prices I would expect to pay anywhere for such high quality food.
I like Flying Fish Café but with their prices and what they service they would never make it in a city like NYC or Boston ect…. This is where value vs price is hard with Disney... 8 of the 10 entrees are over $44.... Comparing it to places I go in Boston for those prices it doesn't' compare...

DISR

Overrated for me was Tiffins, the food was good but not great.
'Ohana met my expectations.
Cali Grill has always exceeded them.
IMO the lounge at Tiffans is better than the restaurant...if there is anything you want from the main menu, you can also order it in the lounge.

UNCgolf

I like Flying Fish Café but with their prices and what they service they would never make it in a city like NYC or Boston ect…. This is where value vs price is hard with Disney... 8 of the 10 entrees are over $44.... Comparing it to places I go in Boston for those prices it doesn't' compare...

I don't agree with you on that -- I've been to multiple restaurants in NYC with similar prices where the food wasn't as good as what I've had at Flying Fish. Same here in Atlanta.

Hockey89

I don't agree with you on that -- I've been to multiple restaurants in NYC with similar prices where the food wasn't as good as what I've had at Flying Fish. Same here in Atlanta.
That’s fine. The places I go to in Boston are much better for the same prices. Every place I’ve been to in NYC is much better. All good

Phonedave

I don't go into many WDW dining locations expecting much anymore, so take the following for what it is worth.

Overrated - Le Cellier and 'Ohana. I have eaten at both many times. 'Ohana used to be OK, now I would not even give it that rating. Neither has never been to the level of the rave reviews you see. They were not horrible, but just good, or maybe 'sort of good'.

Horrible - Cape May Cafe. OK, I know I should give it an other chance, but this is one of the singularly worst dining experiences I have ever had anywhere (I think the night throwing up all over a hotel room after eating at a restaurant in PA takes the cake, but then that is what I get for ordering fish in PA). Just about everything I tried at Cape May Cafe was bad. As in not enjoyable at all. In addition the service was atrocious. There are very few restaurants that I have been to only once and will not go back to. Cape May Cafe is one of them.

UNCgolf

Did you ever try the Tomahawk steak for 2? Looks tempting... but 160?

No, I've only been three times (it's certainly possible the quality fluctuates and I just happened to be there on three really good days). The first time I know I had fish, but I don't actually remember if it was the swordfish or the red snapper. It was very good, though. Then I had the filet the second time, and it was so good that I ordered it again the third.

$150 seems like a pretty high price, though. The filet price is in line with what I'd expect to pay for a high quality filet -- I've had similarly priced filets (sometimes more expensive) that were not as good -- but I'm pretty sure I've seen tomahawks for around $120-$125 at other restaurants.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

No, I've only been three times (it's certainly possible the quality fluctuates and I just happened to be there on three really good days). The first time I know I had fish, but I don't actually remember if it was the swordfish or the red snapper. It was very good, though. Then I had the filet the second time, and it was so good that I ordered it again the third.

$150 seems like a pretty high price, though. The filet price is in line with what I'd expect to pay for a high quality filet -- I've had similarly priced filets (sometimes more expensive) that were not as goo -- but I'm pretty sure I've seen tomahawks for around $120-$125 at other restaurants.
Yeah, I actually thought the Filet looked like a decent price, that was why I was surprised at the Tomahawk, for that price it better be amazing.
Post Edit: Thank goodness for reviews with pics...that doesn't look worth over $150..
348s.jpg

stratman50th

'Ohana was a must do for us every trip. The last time we went, May 2019 the food was underwhelming. Because it's been good in the past I'll give it another try. If it still isn't so great we'll put it on our stay away list. That would be bad because it has always been so good in the past, good because it has become next to impossible to get a reservation.
Next, everyone just raved about the buffet at Cape May Cafe. We are originally from Maryland so we are huge seafood lovers. Especially a table full of steamed crabs (which they don't have at Cape May Cafe). We went there in 2011 and were very disappointed. The food was ok, but the best stuff, the crabs, they kept running out of. I can eat hush puppies and mac&cheese anywhere. I didn't pay those prices to eat sides. I have a reservation for our October trip so as to give them another chance.
Finally, Trails End Buffet (Dinner). This was also a go to every year for us. It was the last meal out on the last evening of our trip. Always a great buffet, probably one of the best kept secrets on property with an excellent price for a Disney restaurant. We ate there in 2012, which was our last "hotel" trip before returning in 2018 to stay at Fort Wilderness. The food wasn't very good and we commented how unfortunate that we probably wouldn't be back. Fast Forward to 2019. We went again for dinner and were pleased, so back on the list it goes.

stratman50th

I don't go into many WDW dining locations expecting much anymore, so take the following for what it is worth.

Overrated - Le Cellier and 'Ohana. I have eaten at both many times. 'Ohana used to be OK, now I would not even give it that rating. Neither has never been to the level of the rave reviews you see. They were not horrible, but just good, or maybe 'sort of good'.

Horrible - Cape May Cafe. OK, I know I should give it an other chance, but this is one of the singularly worst dining experiences I have ever had anywhere (I think the night throwing up all over a hotel room after eating at a restaurant in PA takes the cake, but then that is what I get for ordering fish in PA). Just about everything I tried at Cape May Cafe was bad. As in not enjoyable at all. In addition the service was atrocious. There are very few restaurants that I have been to only once and will not go back to. Cape May Cafe is one of them.
Interesting. I just gave about the same ratings. Always loved 'Ohana to the point it was a must do every trip. Now, just ok. I'll give it another shot. The other was the Cape May Cafe. Price was crazy, but I guess about on point for a Disney restaurant. Service was as you described. Unforgivable was they couldn't keep the buffet stocked with all the expensive items, or in other words, the stuff people came in for. Giving them another chance this upcoming trip and hoping they will be better this time.

OldYeller

'Ohana was a must do for us every trip. The last time we went, May 2019 the food was underwhelming. Because it's been good in the past I'll give it another try. If it still isn't so great we'll put it on our stay away list. That would be bad because it has always been so good in the past, good because it has become next to impossible to get a reservation.
Next, everyone just raved about the buffet at Cape May Cafe. We are originally from Maryland so we are huge seafood lovers. Especially a table full of steamed crabs (which they don't have at Cape May Cafe). We went there in 2011 and were very disappointed. The food was ok, but the best stuff, the crabs, they kept running out of. I can eat hush puppies and mac&cheese anywhere. I didn't pay those prices to eat sides. I have a reservation for our October trip so as to give them another chance.
Finally, Trails End Buffet (Dinner). This was also a go to every year for us. It was the last meal out on the last evening of our trip. Always a great buffet, probably one of the best kept secrets on property with an excellent price for a Disney restaurant. We ate there in 2012, which was our last "hotel" trip before returning in 2018 to stay at Fort Wilderness. The food wasn't very good and we commented how unfortunate that we probably wouldn't be back. Fast Forward to 2019. We went again for dinner and were pleased, so back on the list it goes.
Felt the same way about 'Ohana; always was a favorite and a must-do. Had the same impression during an August, 2019 visit. Just wasn't as good as it had been in the past.

Raineman

This is 100% true.... Those eggs.... Good god
It's frequently listed as one of the "best" uses of a QS dining plan credit because the list price is so expensive, but that doesn't account for the miserable quality of the food.
I will have to graciously disagree with you on BOG breakfast, but I should mention that, whenever the topic of food comes up here, I will very rarely complain, as I can at least partially enjoy anything that I eat-unless it involves alot of vegetables that I can't stand.

Hockey89

I will have to graciously disagree with you on BOG breakfast, but I should mention that, whenever the topic of food comes up here, I will very rarely complain, as I can at least partially enjoy anything that I eat-unless it involves alot of vegetables that I can't stand.
Yeah the eggs were rubber and as bad as I’ve ever had. If you like rubber eggs, I guess it’s a hit

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom