• Replacing Maelstrom with Frozen

• Mistake on the Lake (Harmonious)

• Replacing Splash with Tiana’s Bayou Adventure

• Replacing Rivers of America with Cars

• Replacing The Great Movie Ride with Runaway Railway

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Horizon1

Universe of Energy- This was a hard choice but I went with this as it really shows the company abandoning epcot as a concept. Space was a misfire but it was an epcot idea, guardians is just a ride put these because, it shows Disney no longer care about the theme in theme parks they are just dumps for whatever the company is pushing

I agree with this. I never experienced the Ellen version first hand but from what I saw it needed an update and a change. Keep the dinosaurs and update the films etc but removing it to be replaced with Guardians just did not fit the theme of original Epcot. Guardians would have been a better fit at Studios.

Kamikaze

In lieu of recent developments this morning, I think this is worth discussing, either to quantify our perceptions or simply to put it in to perspective.

Responses limited to WDW due to a limits in poll choices.

You can vote for three options.
There's a lot of people saying EuroDisney, which is pretty accurate, but the actual answer is the company's response to EuroDisney failing: stopping/limiting/cutting spending everywhere and scaling back projects after the initial greenlight. Its a mindset that still continues today, but didn't really happen before that point.

It is also the worst move in WDW history, even though it didn't 'happen' there. It directly affected all the projects in the company from basically 1993 onward.

Miru

I agree with this. I never experienced the Ellen version first hand but from what I saw it needed an update and a change. Keep the dinosaurs and update the films etc but removing it to be replaced with Guardians just did not fit the theme of original Epcot. Guardians would have been a better fit at Studios.
As a corollary I’m willing to defend the Moana area as at least it tries to be educational.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
While not all replacements are great at least at least there's something new. Losing capacity of Wonders of Life without any implemented plan and just letting it rot is, imo, worse. But if picking from the list I'll say Figment.

Miru

While not all replacements are great at least at least there's something new. Losing capacity of Wonders of Life without any implemented plan and just letting it rot is, imo, worse. But if picking from the list I'll say Figment.
Yeah, it’s probably the biggest thing they’ve just left empty bar possibly DisneyQuest and Discovery Island.

Minnesota disney fan

s replacing Splash - one of the greatest, most beloved attractions ever,
I agree 100% with this. It was one of the most popular and beloved attractions in WDW, IMO.
They say the original movie was racist and I'm not going to get into that. Not to most people. It was a fun ride with great characters and wonderful songs. It was entertainment, not a statement about anything. To make it in to "something" was Disney's fault. No flaming - just my opinion.

Chef Mickey

I have 2 that come to mind and fit In the others section...

Cabanas In Tomorrowland
Express backstage shuttle vans to the parks (you had to pay extra for this)..
Are you talking about the bus service that took you park to park via backstage entrance? That was like $7/day and totally worth it. A terrible decision was removing that. I'd pay $50/day for it.

Last edited:

docryan8404

This was hard because some of these things I did not know anything about. I never went on the original Figment. EPCOT was being built when I went my first trip. I liked Maelstrom but it wasn't that kid-focused (yes, it was a good ride to promote Norway but kids don't understand that). Never went on Horizons and won't go on Guardians. Also never went on the Great Movie ride. But replacing RoA with Cars? NO! Absolutely not! It doesn't fit the theme of the area AT ALL! How can DCA create a whole land for Cars with little land and yet Florida, who has more land that CA, not build fifth park? It would fit better at HS, like Indiana Jones and Monsters, Inc. I love going to the parks but they keep putting attractions in the parks that don't fit the theme of where they go. Encanto? I can see it fitting into AK but it's not AK just because of one character who talks to animals. Indiana Jones is NOT AK material either. But I don't get paid by Disney to make decisions like that.

wdwfan4ver

I voted other DVC construction has ruined the whole feel of what WDW was
I agree. I remembered the view the Polynesian had before the DVC and how it was after. The Polynesian before the first of the 2 DVCS had an outstanding view for Fireworks and Electric Water Pageant.

Also the 2nd DVC for Polynesian to me hurt the Character of the hotel even more and getting a rid of the Luau for DVC was a big mistake.

Heppenheimer

Here's some that I haven't seen mentioned yet (mostly much older).

Replacing the Mickey Mouse Revue with... nothing until Magic Journeys was eventually tossed onto the same location years later.

Replacing Snow White's Adventure with a Meet-and-Greet.

Replacing the Skyway with... nothing.

Replacing Mr. Toad with Winnie the Pooh.

Replacing Davy Crockett's Canoes and Mike Fink's Keelboats with... nothing.

Replacing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with Ariel's Grotto.

Never really finishing World Showcase.

Replacing Mission to Mars with Alien Encounter, then Stitch's Great Escape then... nothing (I'm detecting a pattern here).

Replacing the Wonders of Life with... nothing.

Replacing Image Works with... nothing.

My controversial take- Horizons wasn't nearly as amazing as people seem to remember it

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom