Worst mistake in Epcot history

What is the worst mistake in Epcot history?

• Journey Into Imagination into JIYI and JIIwF

Votes: 208 49.6%
  • Horizons into Mission Space

Votes: 109 26.0%
  • IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth into Harmonious

Votes: 102 24.3%

• Total voters

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think overall the takeaway is not "Horizons is outdated" but "Mission:SPACE is in desperate need of a retheme/makeover". The theming I think is the one thing that makes Mission:Space not as beloved as its charming predecessor. If the ride "took place" in an actual space station or even in space, then it would be more memorable as an overall experience. Notice how much positive feedback is around for the restaurant right next door, there's a good reason for that, it is all in the theming.
It’s still a machine spinning capsules really, really fast to simulate G forces. Not sure how you could re-theme that into anything else.

TwilightZone

It’s still a machine spinning capsules really, really fast to simulate G forces. Not sure how you could re-theme that into anything else.
It's not the machine itself that needs a retheme, but everything outside of it, from the queue, preshow, postshow/giftshop.
Also the film inside of the simulator could also theoretically be "rethemed" easily.

The Lochness Monsta

Well, you got Mission: Space, right? It's a good attraction. I think they should have kept Horizons. But, here we are...
Mission: Space is a great and far more fun then Horizons. Once they did the stationary side it was cool for everyone. Horizons was great as well but for different reasons. Horizons had a limited life and became a ride to take to get out of the heat. I'd bet that all those that are complaining about Horizons being gone would be so bored with it by now that mostly they would have flat out stopped going like so many did with all the Future world attractions that are still remaining. Even World of Motion would have been a ghost town by now. They all had their time in the sun and were perfect at the time they were opened, but life changes, wants change, tastes change and demand changes. Don't get me wrong, I loved the old Epcot, but years ago in the 90's, I witnessed the decline in riders for all of them. Those that went to them remember the massive switchback lines in those buildings and how they were full all the time. A decade in they were all walk ons. It just wasn't all that impressive to the next generation.

No way dudes, Mission Space is terrible. Not only is it boring as , but they put you in a shoebox and shake you around. So I wasn't entertained and I almost barfed up my chicken nuggets from the day before.

TikibirdLand

No way dudes, Mission Space is terrible. Not only is it boring as ****, but they put you in a shoebox and shake you around. So I wasn't entertained and I almost barfed up my chicken nuggets from the day before.
Well, there is, erm, that... But, our family enjoys it; not as much as we would have enjoyed Horizons. And, we like M:S better than TT; we haven't even experienced TT 2.0 yet. It's been down on our last two visits to epcot.

Skibum1970

Well, there is, erm, that... But, our family enjoys it; not as much as we would have enjoyed Horizons. And, we like M:S better than TT; we haven't even experienced TT 2.0 yet. It's been down on our last two visits to epcot.

I haven't been on Mission Space because I am terrified of getting motion sickness but I have been on TT 2.0. I enjoyed it about like TT 1.0. I usually do single-rider line as my spouse cannot ride it due to some back issues. Even so, the ride experience is still basically the same.

Goofyernmost

It was outdated. It was a mid 1980s look at the future that was no longer remotely contemporary. When people envision the future now it looks absolutely nothing like the version in Horizons.

You keep projecting your own personal view onto the world at large. I think Horizons was far more fun than Mission: SPACE. That may be a minority view, but it may not be -- it's not like Mission: SPACE is wildly popular. Regardless, Horizons clearly connected with more people than Mission: SPACE ever has.
So do you my friend, so do you! I express my opinion and so do you. No matter which one of is correct it makes no difference.

Skibum1970

Personally, I think that the worst mistake in Epcot's history was relying on the sponsors and not investing in the parks. They had room for Mission Space, Horizons, and the other rides. The lack of investment put the park in its current shape.

The bad thing is that, once you pull a ride out, you might replace, which is a net zero game, but then you have to double up on the investment to add another ride to have increased capacity.

UNCgolf

Personally, I think that the worst mistake in Epcot's history was relying on the sponsors and not investing in the parks. They had room for Mission Space, Horizons, and the other rides. The lack of investment put the park in its current shape.

The bad thing is that, once you pull a ride out, you might replace, which is a net zero game, but then you have to double up on the investment to add another ride to have increased capacity.

Sometimes more than one ride, depending on the capacity of the ride you replaced and what you replaced it with.

Chip Chipperson

I voted for Harmonious. It destroyed the view across the water in World Showcase and is likely to be around for a long time if for no other reason than to justify the cost. When it was being built, I held out some hope that the fountains running during the day would at least make it somewhat okay but they don't. It's just an eyesore. I was fine with replacing Illuminations, but they found the absolute worst way to do it.

Sorcerer Mickey

I voted for Harmonious. It destroyed the view across the water in World Showcase and is likely to be around for a long time if for no other reason than to justify the cost. When it was being built, I held out some hope that the fountains running during the day would at least make it somewhat okay but they don't. It's just an eyesore. I was fine with replacing Illuminations, but they found the absolute worst way to do it.

This right here. Harmonious the show isn't horrible, but the destruction of sight lines is the main offender.

Bocabear

HOrizons was a complete thought...a fleshed out finished idea...Mission Space is the pre-show to an unbuilt Space pavilion... I would rather see them use Wonders Of Life, and connect it to Space so that it becomes the Mars Base Port you are traveling to...add a couple more attractions, and you have a finished, epic, EPCOT worthy pavilion... Nobody would argue with that for Meet & Greet Selfie Pavilion they are planning...

montyz81

This is a tough one. If you look at the popularity of the three new experiences, Mission Space is the most popular relative to the previous three. However, I know that the fireworks show looks to get more people partaking in the experience, mostly because there are no other options at that time as the rides are typically closed during the show (aren't they?). That being said, I'd be curious if there was a way to compare the take rate of Harmonious vs RoE. I for one would likely see it once to say I saw it and skip it for any remaining visits. To me Harmonious is not a "must-do" like RoE.

RSoxNo1

I maintain that you need to consider this both in the moment and in hindsight. The reason I voted for Illuminations into Harmonious is that both in the moment and in hindsight it was a bad decision. With Horizons into Mission: SPACE there was legit excitement for Mission: SPACE. With Imagination it was atrocious execution that made it a horrible choice in hindsight.

All three of these changes hurt, but only one was a truly bad choice in the moment and in hindsight.

WorldExplorer

This is a tough one. If you look at the popularity of the three new experiences, Mission Space is the most popular relative to the previous three. However, I know that the fireworks show looks to get more people partaking in the experience, mostly because there are no other options at that time as the rides are typically closed during the show (aren't they?). That being said, I'd be curious if there was a way to compare the take rate of Harmonious vs RoE. I for one would likely see it once to say I saw it and skip it for any remaining visits. To me Harmonious is not a "must-do" like RoE.
Harmonious, for whatever insane reason, actually starts fifteen minutes prior to park close.

So I can't speak from experience if you can still get on rides during it, but logically you probably can. You can try and scream over the music for food orders, that much I know.

RSoxNo1

A reduction in quality should not be the only factor here. Horizons to Mission: SPACE and Imagination versions 2 and 3 were all reductions in quality over their predecessor. However, it was only Illuminations into Harmonious that was also a destruction of thematic integrity.

I'd argue that Maelstrom to Frozen Ever After was a worse mistake than Horizons for that same reason. For me, Frozen Ever After and Harmonious were unprovoked attacks on EPCOT's original concepts. Mission: SPACE and Imagination were just poor executions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom