World Class Customer Service

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Heeheehee. No.

Anyone who’s been an attractions employee at a theme park can tell you that safety hazards aren’t always obvious to guests, nor are they always visible.
You're telling me that it was necessary to grab the ring out of his hand because of "safety?" I may excuse the running up there due to that reason...but the other part with the ring, that is a tough sell..

Smiley/OCD

Exactly. What a fool that cast member was. I'm not sure why he had that smug smiling look at his face either, somehow it made the video worse. Boy I'm glad something like that didn't happen to me, my New Jersey side...well, let's just leave it at that 😂.
From NJ as well and just saying the same thing to my wife and kids this morning…if that was me, I’d be trespassed and in jail and he’d be in the hospital…

denyuntilcaught

There is no excuse for the cast member to have taken the ring. None. There's no grey area there. It was improper, uncalled for, and should get the cast member fired. Not disciplined, fired.

Yes, the guests were stupid. Yes, social media has turned people into morons. Yes, they should not have been there. Yes, it was potentially even dangerous.

But unless the object in question is what is creating the danger (e.g., someone has a knife or a gun), you don't take a guest's property. Period.
Nothing to get fired over. The ring wasn't stolen, it was given back after the guests removed themselves from a place they shouldn't have been in the first place. Accountability matters.

Californian Elitist

You're telling me that it was necessary to grab the ring out of his hand because of "safety?" I may excuse the running up there due to that reason...but the other part with the ring, that is a tough sell..
I don’t know the exact situation, since I’m not the CM. But yes, if there was immediate danger, you don’t wait a couple of seconds and then react. You do it immediately. The CM could have stepped in and quickly moved them off that platform and the proposal would have still be ruined. As someone who acted out of normal behavior when a guest put themselves in harm’s way (had I been physically closer to the guest, I probably would have lightly shoved him, as well as screamed at him, which I did), I can’t fault his reaction. There isn’t much time to think when safety is an issue.

Tom P.

I don’t know the exact situation, since I’m not the CM. But yes, if there was immediate danger, you don’t wait a couple of seconds and then react. You do it immediately. The CM could have stepped in and quickly moved them off that platform and the proposal would have still be ruined. As someone who acted out of normal behavior when a guest put themselves in harm’s way (had I been physically closer to the guest, I probably would have lightly shoved him, as well as screamed at him, which I did), I can’t fault his reaction. There isn’t much time to think when safety is an issue.
I'm not saying don't react. I'm not saying don't react quickly. I'm saying this should have been handled in a different way than taking someone's property, even temporarily. There is simply no justification for that. The cast member could have easily gotten those people off the platform without acting in the way he did. And this has nothing to do with concern about "ruining" the proposal. If they were in a prohibited area, I couldn't care less if their proposal gets ruined. This has to do with taking someone else's property.

If I am in a prohibited area, and a cast member asks me to leave, I will leave immediately and there will be no further issue. If a cast member grabs something of mine and walks away with it in an attempt to prompt me to move, we are going to have issues. And I don't mean I'm going to be yelling at the cast member. I mean I will immediately want to speak with management and will expect something be done to remedy the situation or I will file a lawsuit. Yes, it's that serious.

Tom P.

Nothing to get fired over. The ring wasn't stolen, it was given back after the guests removed themselves from a place they shouldn't have been in the first place. Accountability matters.
Disagree entirely. This should be an immediate termination level offense. No ifs, ands, or buts. As I said, unless someone is carrying something that is *directly* posing a danger, such as a weapon, you do not mess with someone's personal property. Ever. For any reason. Period.

JoeCamel

From NJ as well and just saying the same thing to my wife and kids this morning…if that was me, I’d be trespassed and in jail and he’d be in the hospital…
The action seemed more likely to provoke a reaction than not
I'm not saying don't react. I'm not saying don't react quickly. I'm saying this should have been handled in a different way than taking someone's property, even temporarily. There is simply no justification for that. The cast member could have easily gotten those people off the platform without acting in the way he did. And this has nothing to do with concern about "ruining" the proposal. If they were in a prohibited area, I couldn't care less if their proposal gets ruined. This has to do with taking someone else's property.

If I am in a prohibited area, and a cast member asks me to leave, I will leave immediately and there will be no further issue. If a cast member grabs something of mine and walks away with it in an attempt to prompt me to move, we are going to have issues. And I don't mean I'm going to be yelling at the cast member. I mean I will immediately want to speak with management and will expect something be done to remedy the situation or I will file a lawsuit. Yes, it's that serious.
Yeah, In all my years in the parks I have never witnessed or heard about such a direct action to correct guest behavior.
I admit I have been an a couple of times and did a face to face with a CM at the gate once over an umbrella but never to the level of that action and I was never asked to leave or refused entrance. I did hear "have a magical day" once (after getting what I wanted) but it was the end of the night and their shifts were over so I hope I didn't ruin much of their day

Californian Elitist

I can’t agree with you, given my experience as a CM and the things I’ve witnessed guests do. I don’t know if I would have grabbed the ring. I don’t know what I would have done, but I don’t blame the CM for reacting that way.

File away at the lawsuit. Someone threatened me with that once when I was a CM. I thought it was funny. Gave her my full name, middle name included, and asked if she wanted my address as well.

Tom P.

I can’t agree with you, given my experience as a CM and the things I’ve witnessed guests do. I don’t know if I would have grabbed the ring. I don’t know what I would have done, but I don’t blame the CM for reacting that way.

File away at the lawsuit. Someone threatened me with that once when I was a CM. I thought it was funny. Gave her my full name, middle name included, and asked if she wanted my address as well.
I blame the cast member, yes. Because what he did was the most likely approach to escalate the situation and cause more problems. He's lucky that the guests remained calm and didn't have a strong reaction. No one is going to convince me that what he did was appropriate.

And, no, I wouldn't sue the cast member. I don't mean this to sound condescending, but if you are a front-line cast member in a Disney park, it's likely you don't have a lot of money to go after. I would sue Walt Disney World. And not because I would want to get a big sum of money. But because if Disney wouldn't make it right of their own initiative, a lawsuit is likely to prompt them to do something. In this case, however, Disney did act appropriately. They issued an apology and promised to make it right. So I'd have no issue in that case.

And, BTW, if Disney thought there was actually a safety issue that could have only been remedied by the cast member's behavior, they would have never issued a public apology. Never. Yes, DIsney gives into complainers a lot. But they are not going to publicly sanction a cast member for maintaining safety in the parks. That would set a horrible, horrible precedent and make it impossible for them to protect guest safety in the future. The fact that Disney did issue the apology only further illustrates that the cast member's behavior was unnecessary and inappropriate.

FigmentForever96

I blame the cast member, yes. Because what he did was the most likely approach to escalate the situation and cause more problems. He's lucky that the guests remained calm and didn't have a strong reaction. No one is going to convince me that what he did was appropriate.

And, no, I wouldn't sue the cast member. I don't mean this to sound condescending, but if you are a front-line cast member in a Disney park, it's likely you don't have a lot of money to go after. I would sue Walt Disney World. And not because I would want to get a big sum of money. But because if Disney wouldn't make it right of their own initiative, a lawsuit is likely to prompt them to do something. In this case, however, Disney did act appropriately. They issued an apology and promised to make it right. So I'd have no issue in that case.

And, BTW, if Disney thought there was actually a safety issue that could have only been remedied by the cast member's behavior, they would have never issued a public apology. Never. Yes, DIsney gives into complainers a lot. But they are not going to publicly sanction a cast member for maintaining safety in the parks. That would set a horrible, horrible precedent and make it impossible for them to protect guest safety in the future. The fact that Disney did issue the apology only further illustrates that the cast member's behavior was unnecessary and inappropriate.
I imagine they only apologized cause they aren’t looking to get any more press then they already are getting right now. I’d wager they are still employed.

drizgirl

And, BTW, if Disney thought there was actually a safety issue that could have only been remedied by the cast member's behavior, they would have never issued a public apology. Never. Yes, DIsney gives into complainers a lot. But they are not going to publicly sanction a cast member for maintaining safety in the parks. That would set a horrible, horrible precedent and make it impossible for them to protect. guest safety in the future. The fact that Disney did issue the apology only further illustrates that the cast member's behavior was”unnecessary and inappropriate.
You would sue over this? For what? For you breaking the rules?

The CM didn’t handle it right, but the guests broke the rules and should probably be trespassed out of the parks for a while.

Smiley/OCD

Guests break rules
Internet blames cast member
Internet then also wonders why Disney can’t find enough people willing to subject themselves to such things for employment
🤷‍♂️
Sorry, no supervisor, no lead, NO CM has a right to snatch a diamond engagement ring out of a guest’s hand. I’m still not convinced this scene is legit to begin with.
With that said, the guest was wrong for standing in that area, but I couldn’t see that happening in Orlando. From what I’ve witnessed, CM’s tend to be very professional which is another reason I think it’s a setup.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Guests break rules
Internet blames cast member
Internet then also wonders why Disney can’t find enough people willing to subject themselves to such things for employment
🤷‍♂️
Most people here are blaming the CM for the over the top reaction of snatching the ring. Inappropriate behavior can occur from the guest AND CM at the same time. The guest was wrong for breaking the rules if he never got permission and the CM was wrong for grabbing someone’s personal property out of their hands. Disney apologized “for the way it was handled.” I don’t understand why this is hard.

Smiley/OCD

Most people here are blaming the CM for the over the top reaction of snatching the ring. Inappropriate behavior can occur from the guest AND CM at the same time. The guest was wrong for breaking the rules if he never got permission and the CM was wrong for grabbing someone’s personal property out of their hands. Disney apologized “for the way it was handled.” I don’t understand why this is hard.
You kinda just answered your own question…IF he never got permission…we’ll never know the truth on that but we DID see the CM take the ring out of the guest’s hand…as you said, I don’t understand why this is hard.

Cesar R M

If its real, its a train wreck.

The couple was technically in a prohibited area, if the cast member let them do it, then everyone would want to do it.

On the other hand, I would not want to be the cast member to have to break up this moment.

A question comes to mind, the way the cast member ran over to break this up really looked like their job was in the line.

Would this cast member lose their job if they waited 10 seconds before breaking it up?
I read somewhere else that the CM rushed because the stage had live automated pyro for shows?

Californian Elitist

Suing over… Actually, never mind.

Okay.

Cesar R M

This whole spectical can be summed up with "play dumb games, win stupid prizes."
This whole "play dumb games.." seems to be on the rise by tubers and other internet "celebrities" trying to do everything to gain attention online by idiotic stunts.

You kinda just answered your own question…IF he never got permission…we’ll never know the truth on that but we DID see the CM take the ring out of the guest’s hand…as you said, I don’t understand why this is hard.
Someone mentioned already that the non Disney parties involved, had accepted lying about getting permission.

castlecake2.0

Sorry, no supervisor, no lead, NO CM has a right to snatch a diamond engagement ring out of a guest’s hand. I’m still not convinced this scene is legit to begin with.
With that said, the guest was wrong for standing in that area, but I couldn’t see that happening in Orlando. From what I’ve witnessed, CM’s tend to be very professional which is another reason I think it’s a setup.
I don’t believe it’s real

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom