World Class Customer Service

celluloid

I kind of think all of this is beside the point. Even if they weren't in imminent danger, they were in a place they clearly shouldn't have been. If you've been to DLP, it's a very prominent position and a place that non-CMs are obviously not supposed to be. Would people really expect a CM to walk over calmly and have a casual chat with a couple who jumped onto the stage in front of Cinderella Castle to propose?

I don't know, to me this smacks of entitlement mentality to the extreme.

So you have the serves them right mentality? I get feeling that way sometimes but it does not go anywhere. It sounds like you are the one that has been making up things of the scenario from sitting at home like you stated to another poster earlier. In an earlier post you stated that these guests jumped the fence. I may have missed it but I still have not shown me how we know they jumped the fence(?)Is that documented somewhere?

Many people, myself included feel the CM made an odd choice and reflection is not villifying. If you don't care that people and the company(Disney Parks) apologized for and said reflection and retraining can happen...than so what? If you are.really pro.safety, than you are fine reflecting on what the CMs.cam.do.in the future even more efficiently. Training properly is what helps.prevent most hindsight negatives anyway.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I tend to think that snatching something out of someone’s hand is inappropriate, and I suspect the CM only did it because he was acting in haste without properly thinking his response through. It could have (and should have) been handled a little differently. That said, I don’t agree with those who argue that he should be disciplined or, worse still, fired, especially when it was the guests’ own stupidity that caused the whole thing.

Sir_Cliff

So you have the serves them right mentality? I get feeling that way sometimes but it does not go anywhere. It sounds like you are the one that has been making up things of the scenario from sitting at home like you stated to another poster earlier. In an earlier post you stated that these guests jumped the fence. I may have missed it but I still have not shown me how we know they jumped the fence(?)Is that documented somewhere?
There's a small fence and a gate around the stage, which you can even see in the video. Unless they teleported in from another dimension or a CM let them in, they jumped over it. No-one so far has even suggested they were let in.

Many people, myself included feel the CM made an odd choice and reflection is not villifying. If you don't care that people and the company(Disney Parks) apologized for and said reflection and retraining can happen...than so what? If you are.really pro.safety, than you are fine reflecting on what the CMs.cam.do.in the future even more efficiently. Training properly is what helps.prevent most hindsight negatives anyway.
If Disneyland Paris is really going to use this as a moment for retraining CMs and as an example of bad CM behaviour, then I honestly hope more of them just let guests do what they want and leave the legal liabilities to Disney. Disneyland Paris has not exactly been the strictest park in that regard up until now anyway.

Disney Analyst

I tend to think that snatching something out of someone’s hand is inappropriate, and I suspect the CM only did it because he was acting in haste without properly thinking his response through. It could have (and should have) been handled a little differently. That said, I don’t agree with those who argue that he should be disciplined or, worse still, fired, especially when it was the guests’ own stupidity that caused the whole thing.

Yeah, if anything I would hope this was a moment for learning, and putting better policies in place.

I would hate to see this CM terminated when I've seen so many online praising him as one of the kindest CM's they have encountered.

Trauma

Anyone defending the CM in this case has no idea how dangerous what they did was. This situation could easily have ended with life changing consequences for the CM and guests involved.

Smiley/OCD

There are very strict rules and regulations when it comes to live pyro used on stage.

As an example, after a show is finished on Broadway, like Phantom, the crew has to mark and cover each space pyro lives on the stage with a little warning cone, even if not loaded.

The real issue is if Pyro is set, and a guest accidentally (or purposefully) messed with it, it could be dangerous to the cast later.

Again, it's easy to look at this in hindsight, but in the moment, with adrenaline rushing, I can see why the CM did what they did, even if there were better options.
But did you actually watch the video? He didn't "bum rush" the couple to get them out of harm's way...AGAIN, he ran up and snatched the ring out of the guy's hand, motioned for them to follow him down off the stage, and then once they came down, he explained to them that it would be much better down here...NOT ONCE did he ever say at the moment that they weren't supposed to be up there at that moment. So, if it was so dangerous, he clearly was more concerned about the ring than the two trespassers. I said it before, and I'll say it again, this wouldn't have happened in Orlando, it was staged and if he had done that to me, BIG dental bill...and my fiancee would have to bail me out of jail.

Sir_Cliff

But did you actually watch the video? He didn't "bum rush" the couple to get them out of harm's way...AGAIN, he ran up and snatched the ring out of the guy's hand, motioned for them to follow him down off the stage, and then once they came down, he explained to them that it would be much better down here...NOT ONCE did he ever say at the moment that they weren't supposed to be up there at that moment. So, if it was so dangerous, he clearly was more concerned about the ring than the two trespassers. I said it before, and I'll say it again, this wouldn't have happened in Orlando, it was staged and if he had done that to me, BIG dental bill...and my fiancee would have to bail me out of jail.
Ok, so if you jumped onto the stage in front of Cinderella Castle to propose and a CM rushed over, snatched the ring from your hand, and led you down from the stage you would punch them in the face?

We can't all be the center of the universe!

mightynine

NOT ONCE did he ever say at the moment that they weren't supposed to be up there at that moment.
0F81FD89-4A6C-4D24-A0CB-DFFCC7825259.jpeg

Did a little Google Maps searching at DLP’s area in front of the castle and there’s a number of these stages that are clearly fenced off - a fence you can clearly see in the videos in the OP.

I doubt these people didn’t know they were not in a public area.

Smiley/OCD

If he took the 5k ring out of my hand, ran down the steps and THEN motioned for us to come down never saying ONCE that we weren't supposed to be there, you're damn right, he'd be down for the count...and I've been married for almost 29 years...TRUST ME, I'm NOT the center of the universe...

Smiley/OCD

View attachment 644441

Did a little Google Maps searching at DLP’s area in front of the castle and there’s a number of these stages that are clearly fenced off - a fence you can clearly see in the videos in the OP.

View attachment 644441

I've already said multiple times that I wouldn't have done it...we're talking about the CM taking the ring first and THEN motioning them to come down. IF it's true, they should be trespassed and thrown out. The CM should be terminated. END OF STORY. I know of CM's that were termed for much LESS policy violations.

Jacob Marley

if he had done that to me, BIG dental bill...and my fiancee would have to bail me out of jail.

If he took the 5k ring out of my hand, ran down the steps and THEN motioned for us to come down never saying ONCE that we weren't supposed to be there, you're damn right, he'd be down for the count.
I'm not buying that you would do that in real life (anyone can talk tough through a screen). Regardless, violence has no place in this, no matter who you believe was at fault.

Sir_Cliff

If he took the 5k ring out of my hand, ran down the steps and THEN motioned for us to come down never saying ONCE that we weren't supposed to be there, you're damn right, he'd be down for the count...and I've been married for almost 29 years...TRUST ME, I'm NOT the center of the universe...
If you are unable to realise you aren't supposed to be on fenced off stages at theme parks and prone to such violent reactions, well, maybe you should have some kind of handler if you choose to go to theme parks and similar public locations.

celluloid

If Disneyland Paris is really going to use this as a moment for retraining CMs and as an example of bad CM behaviour, then I honestly hope more of them just let guests do what they want and leave the legal liabilities to Disney. Disneyland Paris has not exactly been the strictest park in that regard up until now anyway.
Every situation can be used as a review and reflection for better training. Seriously, can some just not throw hate into the situation? You can't hope the last part of your post and say you are for safety of such situations.
To honestly.hooe.they start doing nothing is a pretty cynical take that serves nothing.

mightynine

I’m struggling to see how removing guests from an area they are not supposed to be in is a “policy violation”.

The ring, to me, is irrelevant. It could’ve been a iPhone, GoPro, whatever. You’ve left the area for guests, tough.

The fact that Disney apologized for this is absurd. The only person who should be disciplined is the cast member who apparently allowed them up there, thinking they wouldn’t be caught.

Disney Analyst

If this moment with the ring is worth physically assaulting someone to you... I think you need to look a bit deeper inside yourself to figure out why you think that.

Kinda scary.

Smiley/OCD

If this moment with the ring is worth physically assaulting someone to you... I think you need to look a bit deeper inside yourself to figure out why you think that.

Kinda scary.
You’re right…kinda scary…you’re on notice…don’t take my property out of my hand…

Trauma

Let me explain it this way.

We have a man proposing to his girlfriend.

I will make a couple of assumptions.

1. His is nervous and probably at a higher than normal anxiety level.

2. As he starts to propose he is hyper focused on his girlfriend. His situational awareness is lower than normal. He has “tunnel vision”.

Suddenly out of nowhere someone enters into his space and starts reaching for his personal property.

For anyone, but especially someone who has served in a war zone or been a victim of a violent crime, this could have triggered a sudden and violent reaction from the guest, causing significant bodily harm to the cast member.

At that point it might not matter who was right or wrong because you will have a cast member with a permanent disability and a guest behind bars.

Sir_Cliff

Let me explain it this way.

We have a man proposing to his girlfriend.

I will make a couple of assumptions.

1. His is nervous and probably at a higher than normal anxiety level.

2. As he starts to propose he is hyper focused on his girlfriend. His situational awareness is lower than normal. He has “tunnel vision”.

Suddenly out of nowhere someone enters into his space and starts reaching for his personal property.

For anyone, but especially someone who has served in a war zone or been a victim of a violent crime, this could have triggered a sudden and violent reaction from the guest, causing significant bodily harm to the cast member.

At that point it might not matter who was right or wrong because you will have a cast member with a permanent disability and a guest behind bars.
I will say that I can imagine DLP changing cast training to look out for the safety of the CM in this situation. If Disneyland Paris' perspective is that it's better to let the company deal with the potential fallout than have a CM risking their own safety, then that sounds reasonable.

DLP is only going to get crazier in terms of guests jumping over barriers if this is the case, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom