working out for Disney

HouCuseChickie

My husband belonged to the LA Fitness in our town. He really liked it and went regularly until the pandemic happened. Then he started working out at home, like everyone else lol. He never rejoined. He works out in the house and his apartment building has a gym, so I guess he prefers that now.

They are taking forever to build this place. The replacement pedals for my stationary bike finally came back in stock, so I put in an order. I was very successful with the biking until running for Disney got me distracted. So, I'm hoping fixing my bike will help get me back into a good spot. If I get it working again, it will also be significantly cheaper than a gym membership.

HouCuseChickie

I had to put my electric blanket back on the bed last night. :mad::coldfeet:

I got up in the middle of the night last night and the night before to turn up the heat🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶

You're giving me weather envy! While it's not blazing hot right now (although we did hit 90s recently), it went up to 84 today and I'm just not in the mood for summery weather.

Figgy1

Original Poster
You're giving me weather envy! While it's not blazing hot right now (although we did hit 90s recently), it went up to 84 today and I'm just not in the mood for summery weather.
Please send it my way! It is as if mother nature is flipping cards each day to determine the temperature 80+, 30, 56.............................. It's crazy up here

Songbird76

How is your son doing?
Sorry about your evening hours being cut, but yay on the new job. Is the new job the one your old boss contacted you about?
He's doing much better now. He is still building up his stamina. It really took a nosedive when he was in the hospital. He said he still has to walk his bike partway to school and back, but he's getting better, and I pumped up his bike tires yesterday, so that should help. I'm really excited for him actually...he's been getting invited with classmates to do stuff after school. 2 weeks ago, I think? He was invited to go to McDonalds for lunch on the Wednesday, because Wednesdays and Fridays are half days at school. And this morning he called me from school and I thought maybe something had happened to him, like he fell off his bike or something, because he hadn't been gone long, but he just wanted to ask if he could go get ice cream after school with his friends. With McDonalds, I took him out the night before and showed him all the routes he could take on his bike and which one was the easiest, and taught him how to order and pay with his bank card at the kiosk. But with the ice cream, it's in the Centrum, which is almost across the street from his school, so he can do that easily. And it's nice that he can eat everything normally again, thank goodness. So he's definitely in a better place than even a month ago!

No, the old boss had said to send in my info, which I did, but then the person who was handling applications told me they weren't allowed to hire anyone working for the company I was at. I tried applying again after I quit, but didn't hear a WORD from them. I took a job at a place where we sell home furnishings. Curtains, wallpaper, throw pillows, bedding, flooring, knick-knacks, garden furniture, etc. There's a TON to learn. I've worked there for 4 days and I'm not even almost close to being trained. I'm pretty good at most of the cashier stuff, and I know how to print out price labels, and which kind of labels go where, but I still have to learn how to do customer orders, follow the placement plan for stocking, etc. And that's JUST for the Cashier position. I also have to learn the Floor department, which includes garden and lighting, and the Upstairs, which includes Curtains and such. One of my bosses said she's been there for 6 months and there are still things she has to ask. Her goal was to learn everything in 3 months and she couldn't do it. There's a TON of training to do. So I'm not anywhere close, but I THINK I'm doing well for how short a time I've been there. The gal who was training me on register the first day said I was doing really well and most people can't do as much on their first day, so that was really positive. And she left me alone after the first hour or so and just stayed in the area in case I had a question, which she couldn't have done if I wasn't picking it up, so all signs seem to be that I'm not likely to be let go after the 2 month trial period. I think they would have already said something if I wasn't doing a good job, and they have 2 months in which they can send me packing without notice or reason, so they wouldn't invest the time in me if they didn't think it was going to work out. But I'm working nearly twice the hours I was working before. I was working about 12 hours max at my old job, and now I'm working 20, so it's an adjustment. I'm used to standing a lot, so that's not a huge problem, but it IS a lot different working during the day. But I make more per hour, too, which is nice. All in all, I'm making close to twice what I did at the old job, so I'll finally be able to save a little bit so if something happens, we'll have a buffer. That's a huge relief to me.

How are you doing? Are you feeling a bit better? I get that need for a bit of...almost isolation, I guess. Where I just don't want to be around people. I go through periods when I just sit and read a lot because I don't feel like being social. I don't know what triggers it, but sometimes I just need solitude. I hope you are feeling better now, and yay for the cat getting used to you! How about your son? Is he still staying at home or is he back at school?

Songbird76

You'll get used to it in time. Hopefully all is going well with the new job. I'm not sure which fitness tracker you're using, but several brands offer a pod that can be laced into your shoe so that it communicates movement like biking and exercise machines to your device on your wrist.
I have a mi-band 5. I thought it was supposed to recognize biking, but it doesn't. But I don't think it works right anyway. Like, the other day, I rode my bike for 45 minutes and even though I'm not a fast biker because of my knee, I do work up a sweat and my heartrate rises. It didn't register that my heart rate was elevated for a long period, but then I'm sitting in the car and suddenly the thing buzzes and says "Congratulations! You maintained a heart rate above 140 for at least 10 minutes" or something like that....like there was no way my heart rate was elevated while I was sitting in the passenger seat of the car on the way to my in-laws house for Easter. But there's also no way it WASN'T elevated while I was riding my bike. So I'm not sure what's up with it.

Lilofan

My husband belonged to the LA Fitness in our town. He really liked it and went regularly until the pandemic happened. Then he started working out at home, like everyone else lol. He never rejoined. He works out in the house and his apartment building has a gym, so I guess he prefers that now.
I rejoined LA Fitness and show up to the gym at 5am daily along with the regular gym rats. I'm more of a swimmer so I swim long distance, sit in the hot bubbly Jacuzzi then eat a huge breakfast since I'm so hungry. I tried working out at home buying a rowing machine , rowed for 2 hours daily while watching TV. I got bored and sold my machine at a loss.

HouCuseChickie

I have a mi-band 5. I thought it was supposed to recognize biking, but it doesn't. But I don't think it works right anyway. Like, the other day, I rode my bike for 45 minutes and even though I'm not a fast biker because of my knee, I do work up a sweat and my heartrate rises. It didn't register that my heart rate was elevated for a long period, but then I'm sitting in the car and suddenly the thing buzzes and says "Congratulations! You maintained a heart rate above 140 for at least 10 minutes" or something like that....like there was no way my heart rate was elevated while I was sitting in the passenger seat of the car on the way to my in-laws house for Easter. But there's also no way it WASN'T elevated while I was riding my bike. So I'm not sure what's up with it.

While this may not be worth it if it's not working properly to begin with, but I used to strap my Garmin onto one of my stationary bike's pedals. It wasn't spot on to using a pod intended for this and couldn't track actual distance or my heart while it was off my body, BUT it recorded the activity as steps so it could see I was moving. I'm not sure if it's feasible for you to affix yours to your pedal for your riding time. Still, the heartrate aspect you noted sounds like it may be acting up.

HouCuseChickie

Please send it my way! It is as if mother nature is flipping cards each day to determine the temperature 80+, 30, 56.............................. It's crazy up here

Not sure about the temps, but it looks like the severe weather we're expecting tonight will be making it your way by Saturday. That's probably not the part of our weather that you wanted.

Sans Souci

He's doing much better now. He is still building up his stamina. It really took a nosedive when he was in the hospital. He said he still has to walk his bike partway to school and back, but he's getting better, and I pumped up his bike tires yesterday, so that should help. I'm really excited for him actually...he's been getting invited with classmates to do stuff after school. 2 weeks ago, I think? He was invited to go to McDonalds for lunch on the Wednesday, because Wednesdays and Fridays are half days at school. And this morning he called me from school and I thought maybe something had happened to him, like he fell off his bike or something, because he hadn't been gone long, but he just wanted to ask if he could go get ice cream after school with his friends. With McDonalds, I took him out the night before and showed him all the routes he could take on his bike and which one was the easiest, and taught him how to order and pay with his bank card at the kiosk. But with the ice cream, it's in the Centrum, which is almost across the street from his school, so he can do that easily. And it's nice that he can eat everything normally again, thank goodness. So he's definitely in a better place than even a month ago!

No, the old boss had said to send in my info, which I did, but then the person who was handling applications told me they weren't allowed to hire anyone working for the company I was at. I tried applying again after I quit, but didn't hear a WORD from them. I took a job at a place where we sell home furnishings. Curtains, wallpaper, throw pillows, bedding, flooring, knick-knacks, garden furniture, etc. There's a TON to learn. I've worked there for 4 days and I'm not even almost close to being trained. I'm pretty good at most of the cashier stuff, and I know how to print out price labels, and which kind of labels go where, but I still have to learn how to do customer orders, follow the placement plan for stocking, etc. And that's JUST for the Cashier position. I also have to learn the Floor department, which includes garden and lighting, and the Upstairs, which includes Curtains and such. One of my bosses said she's been there for 6 months and there are still things she has to ask. Her goal was to learn everything in 3 months and she couldn't do it. There's a TON of training to do. So I'm not anywhere close, but I THINK I'm doing well for how short a time I've been there. The gal who was training me on register the first day said I was doing really well and most people can't do as much on their first day, so that was really positive. And she left me alone after the first hour or so and just stayed in the area in case I had a question, which she couldn't have done if I wasn't picking it up, so all signs seem to be that I'm not likely to be let go after the 2 month trial period. I think they would have already said something if I wasn't doing a good job, and they have 2 months in which they can send me packing without notice or reason, so they wouldn't invest the time in me if they didn't think it was going to work out. But I'm working nearly twice the hours I was working before. I was working about 12 hours max at my old job, and now I'm working 20, so it's an adjustment. I'm used to standing a lot, so that's not a huge problem, but it IS a lot different working during the day. But I make more per hour, too, which is nice. All in all, I'm making close to twice what I did at the old job, so I'll finally be able to save a little bit so if something happens, we'll have a buffer. That's a huge relief to me.

How are you doing? Are you feeling a bit better? I get that need for a bit of...almost isolation, I guess. Where I just don't want to be around people. I go through periods when I just sit and read a lot because I don't feel like being social. I don't know what triggers it, but sometimes I just need solitude. I hope you are feeling better now, and yay for the cat getting used to you! How about your son? Is he still staying at home or is he back at school?

That's really great that your son is feeling a lot better is going out with friends after school and for lunch. I love those self-serve kiosks in McDonald's. I don't know if they have them here, because I haven't been in a McDonald's in so long. But when I lived in London, I'd walk over to get us breakfast and I loved the minimal human interaction required. 😂

Even though it sounds like you have a lot to learn at your new job, it seems like you are picking it up rather quickly. That's awesome about the increase in pay. If you're doing really well, who knows where that will take you inside the company, you know?

I'm better. I just get into these moods where I don't want to interact with people and even get to where I feel food doesn't taste good to me anymore. It's not that it tastes bad, but it's just meh. My son is still taking his courses online. I know he feels comfortable being at home, but I feel like it's too comfortable for him. I wouldn't mind so much if he was commuting and living at home, because he'd be amongst other students all day. But here, he just attends virtual classes and does his coursework. I feel like it's going to bite him in the butt when he graduates and tries to find a job.

Sans Souci

I rejoined LA Fitness and show up to the gym at 5am daily along with the regular gym rats. I'm more of a swimmer so I swim long distance, sit in the hot bubbly Jacuzzi then eat a huge breakfast since I'm so hungry. I tried working out at home buying a rowing machine , rowed for 2 hours daily while watching TV. I got bored and sold my machine at a loss.

I could never do 2 hours on stationary equipment, so I tip my hat to you. If I had to leave the house to workout, I'd likely never go. 😅 I get up, drink my coffee and make my way down stairs. I kind of like it like that. When we were all locked down, I felt like I didn't have enough quiet time for myself anymore, so getting up early while everyone else was asleep was my way of reclaiming that time for myself.

I am also low key worried about ending up on Tik Tok if I workout at the gym. 🤣

Lilofan

I could never do 2 hours on stationary equipment, so I tip my hat to you. If I had to leave the house to workout, I'd likely never go. 😅 I get up, drink my coffee and make my way down stairs. I kind of like it like that. When we were all locked down, I felt like I didn't have enough quiet time for myself anymore, so getting up early while everyone else was asleep was my way of reclaiming that time for myself.

I am also low key worried about ending up on Tik Tok if I workout at the gym. 🤣
Yes that happens in the gym . Members filming other members especially when in the free weight section even though filming in the gym is not allowed from rules posted.

Sans Souci

Hello-

I did a full body circuit workout today. It's part of a program I chose b/c the workouts are supposed to be 30-45 min. So far, each workout takes me 1hr 15min to complete. I am not someone who takes forever to complete a workout, but these have been going on and on. :oops:

I went for a walk with my husband on his lunch break. The weather is very agreeable with lots of trees putting out their leaves. My daffodils started blooming the 3rd week of Feb this year, which is really early. It felt good to see them, but that meant they died earlier than normal, too.

Songbird76

That's really great that your son is feeling a lot better is going out with friends after school and for lunch. I love those self-serve kiosks in McDonald's. I don't know if they have them here, because I haven't been in a McDonald's in so long. But when I lived in London, I'd walk over to get us breakfast and I loved the minimal human interaction required. 😂

Even though it sounds like you have a lot to learn at your new job, it seems like you are picking it up rather quickly. That's awesome about the increase in pay. If you're doing really well, who knows where that will take you inside the company, you know?

I'm better. I just get into these moods where I don't want to interact with people and even get to where I feel food doesn't taste good to me anymore. It's not that it tastes bad, but it's just meh. My son is still taking his courses online. I know he feels comfortable being at home, but I feel like it's too comfortable for him. I wouldn't mind so much if he was commuting and living at home, because he'd be amongst other students all day. But here, he just attends virtual classes and does his coursework. I feel like it's going to bite him in the butt when he graduates and tries to find a job.
They have the ordering kiosks at the McDonalds in Wyoming....we used them last summer while on vacation. If they have them in Wyoming, I'm confident they have them pretty much all over the US. McDonalds isn't my favorite, but I do occassionally like an egg McMuffin. I wish they had them at dinner, but you can only get them until 11am here.

Are you worried about the socialization aspect for your son? That he's not getting any in-person interaction with professors or other students? Or do you think the online coursework isn't giving him as comprehensive of an education? Are there in-person courses offered again now, or is virtual the only option? Both of my kids thrived with the online lessons in the first lockdown because they hadn't worked everything out yet and they let the kids just work at their own pace. So both my kids would be done with the work early in the day because they didn't have the distraction of other kids and didn't have to wait for the slower kids to ask questions or for teachers to explain things they already understood. They could just read the book and go for it. They both did really well while most kids struggled. Then with the 2nd lockdown, the teachers required the kids to log in to a microsoft teams meeting at a specific time to get instruction before they could do the work. It was really frustrating for both of them because once again, they had to wait, even though they understood the material. And with E's school, it was ridiculous because if your computer was acting up and you couldn't get into the teams meeting, they'd count you as absent even though you were trying to log in, and you had to waste valuable time trying to get into that meeting for nothing. And when they went back to school, if a kid was sick and had to stay home, they were expected to follow along online, but most of the teachers didn't set up a meeting for the kids at home, so they didn't get any instruction, but had to try to sign in for each class. It was such a huge waste of time. They'd sit there waiting for the teacher to start a meeting and the teacher never would, so they'd have to just sit there for an hour, then have to make up the homework later because they couldn't access it to work on it during classtime. They didn't get a great education unless they were at school.

Sans Souci

They have the ordering kiosks at the McDonalds in Wyoming....we used them last summer while on vacation. If they have them in Wyoming, I'm confident they have them pretty much all over the US. McDonalds isn't my favorite, but I do occassionally like an egg McMuffin. I wish they had them at dinner, but you can only get them until 11am here.

Are you worried about the socialization aspect for your son? That he's not getting any in-person interaction with professors or other students? Or do you think the online coursework isn't giving him as comprehensive of an education? Are there in-person courses offered again now, or is virtual the only option? Both of my kids thrived with the online lessons in the first lockdown because they hadn't worked everything out yet and they let the kids just work at their own pace. So both my kids would be done with the work early in the day because they didn't have the distraction of other kids and didn't have to wait for the slower kids to ask questions or for teachers to explain things they already understood. They could just read the book and go for it. They both did really well while most kids struggled. Then with the 2nd lockdown, the teachers required the kids to log in to a microsoft teams meeting at a specific time to get instruction before they could do the work. It was really frustrating for both of them because once again, they had to wait, even though they understood the material. And with E's school, it was ridiculous because if your computer was acting up and you couldn't get into the teams meeting, they'd count you as absent even though you were trying to log in, and you had to waste valuable time trying to get into that meeting for nothing. And when they went back to school, if a kid was sick and had to stay home, they were expected to follow along online, but most of the teachers didn't set up a meeting for the kids at home, so they didn't get any instruction, but had to try to sign in for each class. It was such a huge waste of time. They'd sit there waiting for the teacher to start a meeting and the teacher never would, so they'd have to just sit there for an hour, then have to make up the homework later because they couldn't access it to work on it during classtime. They didn't get a great education unless they were at school.

I can't tell you the last time I went into a mcdonlad's. I just use the drive thru all the time. The egg McMuffin is the only thing I eat from McDonald's, too. For a brief time, they were serving breakfast all and I think they dropped it because people were opting for the cheaper breakfast items over the more expensive burgers. Ever since they got rid of the chicken snack wraps, I stopped going there for lunch/dinner.

That Microsoft situation sounds so frustrating. Those programs don't always run as smoothly as they think.

I am worried a bit about his socialization. He started college that first year of the pandemic and I think that colored his view of college life. He had a private room. There were no student activities. Nothing was open for kids to do, the student union, the gym, etc. For meals, you had to order through an app, pick it up and eat it in your room. He was miserable. Some classes were online and some weren't, but he started spending more time here when his classes were online and only went in for the in-person classes. He took a year off and returned to an online school. He is so worried about student debt. He chose on online school because he didn't want to take out crazy loans. I feel badly, because we were going to pay his loans off as his graduation present. Now I wonder if he would have chosen differently if he knew that.

Sans Souci

Hello-

Checking in with 45 minutes of walking on the treadmill, then 15 minutes of a core circuit. It was boring. The treadmill is not my favorite, but I watch YouTube or a movie when I use it.

I also went for really nice walk outside. I think I am going to sit outside later with a glass of wine. My husband was off last week and we spent the week cleaning up the yard, bringing the furniture out, etc. Might as well get out there to enjoy it. :)

Sans Souci

Good morning 🌅

Checking in with a full body circuit workout. It was another long one. I'm trying to make it shorter without ruining the workout. I shaved about 8 minutes off the workout, but I am still over an hour.

Just having a low key weekend here. :)

Songbird76

I can't tell you the last time I went into a mcdonlad's. I just use the drive thru all the time. The egg McMuffin is the only thing I eat from McDonald's, too. For a brief time, they were serving breakfast all and I think they dropped it because people were opting for the cheaper breakfast items over the more expensive burgers. Ever since they got rid of the chicken snack wraps, I stopped going there for lunch/dinner.

That Microsoft situation sounds so frustrating. Those programs don't always run as smoothly as they think.

I am worried a bit about his socialization. He started college that first year of the pandemic and I think that colored his view of college life. He had a private room. There were no student activities. Nothing was open for kids to do, the student union, the gym, etc. For meals, you had to order through an app, pick it up and eat it in your room. He was miserable. Some classes were online and some weren't, but he started spending more time here when his classes were online and only went in for the in-person classes. He took a year off and returned to an online school. He is so worried about student debt. He chose on online school because he didn't want to take out crazy loans. I feel badly, because we were going to pay his loans off as his graduation present. Now I wonder if he would have chosen differently if he knew that.
I'll sometimes eat a chicken sandwich without the sauce from McDonald's, or chicken nuggets. E and I will sometimes order one big and tasty with bacon without the sauce or tomato, and a chicken nugget meal and split them, but we haven't done that for a couple of years now. We rarely eat at McDonalds for anything other than breakfast. A loves it, but the rest of us prefer "real" food. If there's no other option, we'll go there, but it's pretty much a last option for the 3 of us. They never did the breakfast all day thing here. They used to not open until 11am, but started offering McMuffins a few years ago. That's it, though....you can't get pancakes or anything here. We went to Germany a few years ago, and they had Chicken breakfast sandwiches that were really good! But we don't have anything but the Egg mcMuffins here.

Could you maybe talk to him about your intention to pay off his loans? If he's anything like my son, he doesn't like surprises at all, including good ones. Everything has to be discussed and agreed on beforehand. It might encourage him to go back to livig in dorms? I get why he chose to stay home....at the time, that definitely seemed like the best option. But if it's changed now, he might need a nudge to get back to how things SHOULD have been.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom