working out for Disney

Lilofan

It depends on the size of the gym. There's one not too far from me that has one but it's PRICEY most Y's have them but I don't have one close to me:(
One full service gym and 3 lane 25 yard swimming pool open to membership is on the first floor of Celebration Hospital a few miles from.WDW. One doesn't see that often. Also in the ER, there is a kids play zone all things Disney also showing movies.

HouCuseChickie

Speaking of gyms... We joined a gym!

I had started trying to get back on track right after Easter. I started out just by working on what I eat. So, I'm almost at the end of week 5 of diet modification. I've built in a weekend cheat meal and on the road allowances that I wasn't previously doing. I feel like it's making it easier for me to stay honest, vs. allowing little things to creep back in and derail everything. I still feel a bit guilty with the cheat, but I've got a cake pop waiting for me in the freezer that hopefully is worth the wait :D Still, it's early, so we'll see how it goes.

Working out was tough with our busy schedules, but I was at least working in some meaningful exercise 4-5 days a week. Last night was our first gym night. It's a little farther than I'd like, but the gym closest to the house is a contract nightmare and the second one that's a smidge farther is expensive. This one is at least a national gym, so we can work out while traveling if we so choose. My friend (local) also belongs to one, so we may be able to have some friend workout sessions.

Last night, I did 30 minutes + cooldown on the elliptical and then 30 minutes of circuit training for arms, back and shoulders.

StarWarsGirl

I don't think I updated, but I did end up joining the new gym that opened ten minutes away from me. It opened in February, so I got founding member pricing, which made it cheaper than where I was before. I go at lunch a good bit, and it's never crowded at lunch time. My mom also joined, so now I have a workout buddy, though we have yet to actually workout in the vicinity of each other. We each go do our own thing and meet up when we're done. 🤣

I'm still in physical therapy for my knee. I'm thinking he's probably going to release me next week, though it still isn't "right". I'm not wearing my brace at home or for running quick errands, but if I know I'm going to be walking a lot (like when I was at Hershey on Saturday) then I'll put the brace on for additional support. I still have trouble kneeling down and going up and down stairs.

My physical therapist wanted me to do the elliptical at the gym, so I did that today for the first time on my own since I injured it (I've done it at PT). I was pretty sore afterwards in my knee, but it wasn't too bad. Trying to get back upstairs to my desk when I got home was a challenge. 🤣

Lilofan

Depends on the gym and how big it is. Planet Fitness and Anytime Fitness don't, but the higher end gyms do. Mine also has a hot tub, sauna, and hydromassage.
La Fitness or Esporta on the East Coast generally have 3 lane 25 meter pools , membership is about $25-30 dollars a month. Planet Fitness while cheap had monthly bagel and coffee 1x a month and pizza night 1x a month pre covid.

HouCuseChickie

Depends on the gym and how big it is. Planet Fitness and Anytime Fitness don't, but the higher end gyms do. Mine also has a hot tub, sauna, and hydromassage.
La Fitness or Esporta on the East Coast generally have 3 lane 25 meter pools , membership is about $25-30 dollars a month. Planet Fitness while cheap had monthly bagel and coffee 1x a month and pizza night 1x a month pre covid.

We joined Planet fitness. Nothing on bagels, coffee or pizza :( Not that I should be eating any of that right now 😂 Although, my older teen is free all summer.

We opted for PF because we never used the pool, hot tub or sauna at our previous gyms and have never been into classes. We got black memberships, so we also get things like hydromassage and massage chairs, although I don't know how much we'll use that. We definitely won't be using the tanning. It was more because of the guest privileges and using other locations. We've had some ugly gym contract issues with past gyms, and supposedly PF is pretty easy to quit if we decide we don't like it...which is not the case with the other three in our area we were considering.

StarWarsGirl

We joined Planet fitness. Nothing on bagels, coffee or pizza :( Not that I should be eating any of that right now 😂 Although, my older teen is free all summer.

We opted for PF because we never used the pool, hot tub or sauna at our previous gyms and have never been into classes. We got black memberships, so we also get things like hydromassage and massage chairs, although I don't know how much we'll use that. We definitely won't be using the tanning. It was more because of the guest privileges and using other locations. We've had some ugly gym contract issues with past gyms, and supposedly PF is pretty easy to quit if we decide we don't like it...which is not the case with the other three in our area we were considering.
Yeah, I don't use the classes, but I definitely use the pool, and my mom is into the classes. The closest Planet Fitness to us is 20+ minutes away; we'd never use it. We have a local gym near us that doesn't have very many amenities and is pretty expensive. Our gym has tiered memberships, we both got the second tier membership so we'd get towel service and access to hydromassage. Hydromassage is very important to me, lol.

HouCuseChickie

Yeah, I don't use the classes, but I definitely use the pool, and my mom is into the classes. The closest Planet Fitness to us is 20+ minutes away; we'd never use it. We have a local gym near us that doesn't have very many amenities and is pretty expensive. Our gym has tiered memberships, we both got the second tier membership so we'd get towel service and access to hydromassage. Hydromassage is very important to me, lol.

I can be pretty happy with a gym long as I have ellipticals, treadmills, recumbent bikes, and certain weight machines in circuit training. Our PF is probably about the same distance as yours, but the only gym that is super close is a nightmare. The other two are also 15-20 minute range and have other red flags. I might have to try out the hydromassage at some point. Who knows, I may love it!

Lilofan

I can be pretty happy with a gym long as I have ellipticals, treadmills, recumbent bikes, and certain weight machines in circuit training. Our PF is probably about the same distance as yours, but the only gym that is super close is a nightmare. The other two are also 15-20 minute range and have other red flags. I might have to try out the hydromassage at some point. Who knows, I may love it!
The PF $10 monthly membership when I used to belong had homeless guys having membership. The guys would come several times a day to use the restroom, shower and at times workout. How do I know? During the day they would stand at intersections panhandling for change and earning income day and night. Pay for a gym membership and food, drink and cigs from the nearby 7-11 and sleep in the nearby woods.

HouCuseChickie

The PF $10 monthly membership when I used to belong had homeless guys having membership. The guys would come several times a day to use the restroom, shower and at times workout. How do I know? During the day they would stand at intersections panhandling for change and earning income day and night. Pay for a gym membership and food, drink and cigs from the nearby 7-11 and sleep in the nearby woods.

Apparently it’s not just a PF thing. When I did a search, joining a 24 hour gym is a top tip to people who are about to become homeless. It’s advised since you’ll have access to a shower and WiFi, which can help you track down employment and be presentable for interviews. Some also offer some complimentary food and drink. When we enrolled we had to provide an address and two separate credit cards tied to that address for enrollment fee/monthly payment/annual fee. It doesn’t make it impossible for a homeless person, but it weeds out a lot of that population.

StarWarsGirl

Yeah, if mine's not close enough, I won't go. I need it to be convenient. Thankfully my gym's contract is a pretty standard 1 year contract. I also use the pool a lot. My mom takes the classes a good bit. I've never taken a class and definitely am not right now with my knee, but it's nice to know they're there.

Try hydromassage. It feels sooo good. My mom used it during her tour and was like, "Okay, now I know why you're addicted." 🤣

Lilofan

Apparently it’s not just a PF thing. When I did a search, joining a 24 hour gym is a top tip to people who are about to become homeless. It’s advised since you’ll have access to a shower and WiFi, which can help you track down employment and be presentable for interviews. Some also offer some complimentary food and drink. When we enrolled we had to provide an address and two separate credit cards tied to that address for enrollment fee/monthly payment/annual fee. It doesn’t make it impossible for a homeless person, but it weeds out a lot of that population.
Good to know, the local homeless panhandlers in my area paid cash for a whole year $120, $1 down special the PF staff member I knew told me.

Songbird76

Just checking in. I'm doing trip planning, but because of corona, we weren't sure for a while that it would actually happen, so I'm having to spend a lot more time planning now instead of spreading it out. I finally got all our hotels booked, but now I have to look up restaurants and I'm finding there aren't many McDonald's in Western Wyoming or Southwastern Montana, so I don't know how A is going to eat. He's going to have to try some other french fries!!

@HouCuseChickie , did you say you stayed in Gardiner Montana on one of your trips? What was your experience with restaurants? I'm not finding much that looks appetizing. It's a whole lot of burgers and not much else! It looks like a tiny town with nothing familiar....in some places that works because there's something that's really popular among locals, like the Irma in Cody, Wyoming. But Gardiner looks like a whole lot of nothing. If I can FIND an online menu, it's very limited and burger heavy.

HouCuseChickie

Just checking in. I'm doing trip planning, but because of corona, we weren't sure for a while that it would actually happen, so I'm having to spend a lot more time planning now instead of spreading it out. I finally got all our hotels booked, but now I have to look up restaurants and I'm finding there aren't many McDonald's in Western Wyoming or Southwastern Montana, so I don't know how A is going to eat. He's going to have to try some other french fries!!

@HouCuseChickie , did you say you stayed in Gardiner Montana on one of your trips? What was your experience with restaurants? I'm not finding much that looks appetizing. It's a whole lot of burgers and not much else! It looks like a tiny town with nothing familiar....in some places that works because there's something that's really popular among locals, like the Irma in Cody, Wyoming. But Gardiner looks like a whole lot of nothing. If I can FIND an online menu, it's very limited and burger heavy.

Sorry…life is crazy right now.

We stayed in West Yellowstone, but wished we’d stayed in Gardiner. We did have lunch in Gardiner last trip at a place called the Cowboy’s Lodge & Grill. While they do offer burgers, they have a number of other things.

We felt that Cody was just too far to be a good outside the park option. West Yellowstone is another option just outside of a park entrance. I think most of the places will have a lot of burger options…especially with supply shortages and costs right now, but I know we saw other options. I know we ate here and they had more than burgers.

Sans Souci

Hello-

It's been a minute. I've been doing circuit training and trying to keep it around 30 minutes or so.

About a week or so ago, there was a dead mouse left in front of my patio door. My husband dispatched it. Then a day or two later, a cat showed up at the patio door. She just sat there, quietly looking in. I opened the door and she backed away. She had no collar and her left ear is tipped, so she is either a stray or feral. Since I don't have cat, I have no cat food. But I do have cans of tuna, so I put that out for her and she ate it. Then she left. Then she came back the next day for more tuna, but she took a nap on our deck and came back to the door for more tuna. She now seems to come every 2-3 days. I did buy some proper cat food for her, plus wild caught sardines in packed in salt-free water. She comes to the door, naps, eats, naps again, and eats again. :hilarious:

My son wants to gain her trust to bring her to the vet to see if she is someone's cat, but I think she is too feral to ever become a house cat (besides, I am allergic to cats). I have gone outside the same time she is here, but she moves away a few feet and stays away. I am glad she showed up, because he was really depressed, staying in his darkened room all day. Now, he comes out and looks for her. He even texts me when he's out running errands to ask me if she's shown up and to keep an eye out for her. I let him feed her/give her fresh water and clean up her eating area.

tempImagev2PoI7.jpg

tempImage55cijD.jpg

Songbird76

Sorry…life is crazy right now.

We stayed in West Yellowstone, but wished we’d stayed in Gardiner. We did have lunch in Gardiner last trip at a place called the Cowboy’s Lodge & Grill. While they do offer burgers, they have a number of other things.

We felt that Cody was just too far to be a good outside the park option. West Yellowstone is another option just outside of a park entrance. I think most of the places will have a lot of burger options…especially with supply shortages and costs right now, but I know we saw other options. I know we ate here and they had more than burgers.

Thanks! I had problems finding menus! A lot of places didn't seem to have menus available online, or they only serve breakfast and lunch. And the rest is mostly burgers. My husband is the only one who loves burgers, and he has never really ordered one in a restaurant. He likes them at home, but he doesn't like to pay for something he can make at home. If they have French Dip, E and I are happy campers, but A is so picky, even about the KIND of fries. I worry he won't be able to find anything to eat. I've decided we are going to pack a ton of food to take with us so if nothing else, he has some chips or something....donuts, cereal, even a hotdog might work.

We have one night in West Yellowstone and one in Gardiner. We stay in Dubois and travel north into Yellowstone, then work our way up to the West gate, stay in West Yellowstone, then go north the next day and catch the stuff in the northwestern part of the park and stay in Gardiner. Then the next day we'll head down to the Falls area and take the East gate out and go to Cody. The problem for me is that I don't know when we'll be arriving anywhere, so I can't really make plans for meals. For some reason, I was thinking Old faithful was more East, but it turns out that's one of the first things we'll come across from the South entrance. But I don't know how long it will take from Dubois to get there, and what the traffic will be like. Will we be close to a restaurant at lunchtime? And if we are, what kind of food will they serve? I can't research it because I don't know where we'll be at lunchtime. I know Yellowstone has restaurants, but some of them don't serve all the meals....like some don't serve lunch. Some don't serve breakfast. And they all say that because of corona, menus and opening hours are subject to change. So it makes it nearly impossible to plan. So I'm just going to bring poptarts and chips and cereal, etc, in case we can't find a place to eat.

Did you do a lot of hiking? I have a feeling the boys are going to throw hissy fits if there's too much walking. They aren't into nature or walking. A enjoys playing tennis once a week, and he loves PE, but that's the extent of it. I just don't see him being willing to go hiking to see more obscure pools or geysers, and my husband tends to get REALLY grouchy on vacation when things aren't what he expected, or if A is complaining. Nothing puts him into a foul mood like things not going the way he envisioned it. Throw in that he might be "hangry" and he'll be far worse than A. So I hope we find decent places to eat or it's going to be a LONG trip.

Songbird76

Hello-

It's been a minute. I've been doing circuit training and trying to keep it around 30 minutes or so.

About a week or so ago, there was a dead mouse left in front of my patio door. My husband dispatched it. Then a day or two later, a cat showed up at the patio door. She just sat there, quietly looking in. I opened the door and she backed away. She had no collar and her left ear is tipped, so she is either a stray or feral. Since I don't have cat, I have no cat food. But I do have cans of tuna, so I put that out for her and she ate it. Then she left. Then she came back the next day for more tuna, but she took a nap on our deck and came back to the door for more tuna. She now seems to come every 2-3 days. I did buy some proper cat food for her, plus wild caught sardines in packed in salt-free water. She comes to the door, naps, eats, naps again, and eats again. :hilarious:

My son wants to gain her trust to bring her to the vet to see if she is someone's cat, but I think she is too feral to ever become a house cat (besides, I am allergic to cats). I have gone outside the same time she is here, but she moves away a few feet and stays away. I am glad she showed up, because he was really depressed, staying in his darkened room all day. Now, he comes out and looks for her. He even texts me when he's out running errands to ask me if she's shown up and to keep an eye out for her. I let him feed her/give her fresh water and clean up her eating area.

View attachment 644114

View attachment 644115
Do cats roam freely there or are there ordinances about that? Over here, people just let their cats out and they go wherever they want. We've had numerous neighborhood cats come into our house when I have the door open to get some fresh air. Last year, one came in, ran right up the stairs and into my daughter's room, and then when E tried to pet it, it ran back downstairs and out the door. Currently, E is a bit miffed at the cats, because she's been growing some flowers and she just moved them outside. The one she kept in a pot because she didn't think it was strong enough for the ground yet, she left it outside for the afternoon, came back and a cat had ripped it up. She's not sure if it will survive. And then she put out some empty plastic pots on the patio table and today half of them had been batted to the ground. I find it weird that there are no laws about it...nothing saying you have to keep your cats contained. Why get a cat if you aren't going to keep it home? But I thought maybe if it's the same way there, this cat just comes to visit because hey, free food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom