working out for Disney

HouCuseChickie

I always had the max number of credits you were allowed to take, but I don't remember how many that was. But yeah, way more than my non-music major friends, and like you said, I always had early classes. Mondays and Wednesdays I was in class from 8 am to 8:30 pm, and I didn't have a lunch break because that's when the main choir rehearsed, so I had an hour and a half around dinner time, and the rest of the time I was in class. Tuesdays and Thursdays I was done at 5, but again no lunch break. We rehearsed every day. And Thursday afternoon was our convocation class, which was almost always boring. I am so glad to be done with all of that!!

I think our max allowed was 23, but I know I never took more than 21. There were a lot of people who maxed out and did summer courses to cut costs by finishing early. As a music major, my M/W/F schedule started at 8:30am and my T/Th schedule started at 8am. I will admit that there were times where I just didn't make it on time (or sometimes at all). Convo day was the only day where I went into the evening with classes. My music friends were all jealous when I changed majors and was able to sleep in. By my senior year, I had worked it that I only had to be in the classroom T-Th and nothing before 10:30am. I did some post bac work and even spent a semester in a combo masters/doctorate program, but I was so over being in the classroom.

HouCuseChickie

Today was my weekly long training run. This week, it was a 6.30 mile run. It was better this week than last week's long run. I probably walked about 3/4 of a mile on top of it when you factor my non-mapped walking at the beginning and end. When I got home, I did some light biking to try and help my legs recover a bit (a smidge over 5mi), did a whole lot of stretching and dance moves for my legs, and about 20 min of abs work. I'm beat! My foam rollers should arrive later so I can work on my muscles a bit more. About to head up to the pool to let the water soothe my muscles a bit and then I have lovely overnight work at the office. Hoping I stay awake!

Songbird76

I think our max allowed was 23, but I know I never took more than 21. There were a lot of people who maxed out and did summer courses to cut costs by finishing early. As a music major, my M/W/F schedule started at 8:30am and my T/Th schedule started at 8am. I will admit that there were times where I just didn't make it on time (or sometimes at all). Convo day was the only day where I went into the evening with classes. My music friends were all jealous when I changed majors and was able to sleep in. By my senior year, I had worked it that I only had to be in the classroom T-Th and nothing before 10:30am. I did some post bac work and even spent a semester in a combo masters/doctorate program, but I was so over being in the classroom.
I THINK our max was 21. My first semester, I think I only took 19 because I was scared I wouldn't be able to handle college and taking the max just didn't seem like a good idea...what if I failed everything because I tried to do too much?? But after that, I HAD to take the max just to fit in all the requirements. I had to get special permission from one prof to take a junior/senior level course as a freshman. It was Human Lifespan Development, and it was required for all education majors regardless of the area of education, and it was the only non-music required course that fit into my schedule that semester. So I went and begged....My brother had taken the class the year before, also as a freshman, so I knew it was possible. I went to the professor and she said most freshman wouldn't be able to handle the coursework...it was a senior class for a reason, I said my brother took it last year as a freshman, she asked who, and when I said his name, she went "OH!!! Well, I didn't know he was a freshman when he signed up, but he was a good student...are you anything like him in your studies?" I assured her that I was motivated, and that I was near the top of my class in high school, so she let me sign up, and then I surprised her by getting an A in the class. She really hadn't believed I could handle it when most of her juniors and seniors were getting Cs. (I still don't understand why....it wasn't a particularly difficult class if you actually went and looked at the material, but whatever) So I pretty much did one non-music class per semester, 2 if I could fit them in...I did Poli Sci in an online form so I didn't actually have to go to class and could do it when it worked out for me, and I took Astronomy in the Summer, and an English Lit class another Summer, and I STILL took 5 years to graduate with taking the max number of credits, and doing Summers, even though I got straight A's...I don't think anyone could do it in just 4 years unless they did every Summer and the pre-Summer sessions where you took one class for several hours a day for 3 weeks. I even had to get permission to drop my voice lessons my 2nd Senior year since I had already done my recital and if I took the voice lessons, it would put me over the max credits, even with doing one of the choirs for audit (no credit). It was a pain! I overheard someone once saying "I wish I could be a music major....all you do is sing all day! It would be so easy!!" and I wanted to say "Try it!" There were music majors who switched to engineering because it was easier than music theory. Yeah...all you have to do is sing all day. :rolleyes::banghead:

Sans Souci

Today was my weekly long training run. This week, it was a 6.30 mile run. It was better this week than last week's long run. I probably walked about 3/4 of a mile on top of it when you factor my non-mapped walking at the beginning and end. When I got home, I did some light biking to try and help my legs recover a bit (a smidge over 5mi), did a whole lot of stretching and dance moves for my legs, and about 20 min of abs work. I'm beat! My foam rollers should arrive later so I can work on my muscles a bit more. About to head up to the pool to let the water soothe my muscles a bit and then I have lovely overnight work at the office. Hoping I stay awake!

I read this as "light baking" and I thought, "Well, that's an unusual way to recover." :hilarious:

Sans Souci

I remember this episode! It comes up periodically with one of my Golden Girls loving friends. She too had her own Dorothy diagnosis...long story short, she eventually found out that she has Lupus.

My husband bought me the entire series on DVD for my birthday about 10 years ago. It came in a box that looked like Sofia's wicker purse and had a deck of Golden Girls playing cards. I swear, it was the best gift my husband ever gave me. 😂

Sans Souci

Good morning. I am up early again today as i got very little sleep. I am still paying for my overdoing it at Typhoon Lagoon. I could have been OK had I not tried some of the more physical things multiple times.
We did the Crush n Gusher thing, all three rides, not once, but four times each, for a total of twelve times carrying the raft up the stairs, then the ride itself is very bouncy and tosses you around a lot. I should have done one ride and called it a day, but no!
And we did Miss adventure falls five or six times. It is not roller coaster rough like the other one, actually. quite smooth, but getting in and out of those big round rafts was kinda physically challenging.
Anyway, we had to cancel Epcot plans yesterday due to an elevated pain level, but we spent a nice amount of time by another pool, where i had an interesting encounter with an entitled tourist, but i will save that story for later.
Thanks for your concern. I will be fine, and this little setback is my own fault, but we are headed home tomorrow and some extra meds, heating pads and ice packs will ease this up soon enough. I have fabricated ice packs here with ziplock bags filled with ice and and wrapped in towels. The sun stands in nicely for the heating pads, i just require lots of sunscreen.
No more whining for today. Time to make the donuts.

I like Miss Adventure Falls, but I feel so undignified getting in and out of the raft!

Hope you had a safe trip back home!

Sans Souci

Hello-

Friday was a yoga & walk day, yesterday was just a walk day and today I've done yoga and I hope to walk later on.

I tried my beta blocker on Friday as a dry run. It was ok, even though I had nothing that would cause fight or flight happen. I did feel a bit physically blunted, if that makes sense. I was reading about people's experiences taking this medicine for performance anxiety and someone said, "You still need to prepare for your presentation. This will not help you if you don't." Get outta town! 😂 Anyway, the experiences were mostly positive. And most said that you will still get a bit nervous, but you don't get that release of adrenaline that shuts everything down. People said once they started speaking, they felt so much more confident. I am hoping this is my experience next week. I am ready to charm the hecc out of them. 😜

I made lemon curd yesterday and today I am making cheesecakes in mason jars. I cook them in the crock pot, so I don't have to heat up the house. The lemon curd is for topping the cheesecakes. 😋

Edit: I meant to add a photo of my blue jay friend. He's been hanging around my car, too. He's mostly been attacking the mirror.

%lthinSrQHiK2g%kw5bvWA.jpg

Last edited:

epcotisbest

Isn't it amazing how your body can take a hit when you're having so much fun?! ;) Happens to all of us adults on occasion. I hope you'll feel better soon. My hunch is that in time, you'll look back on the water park experience and probably smile, regardless, being happy about the good times overall.

Read with interest the Crush n Gusher explanation. Always wanted to go on that, but not solo. From what you shared above, it sounds pretty rough, even with two people on a raft.

I will be fine soon enough. The back spasms are already easing up.
We had fun at Typhoon Lagoon, and I don't really regret it. I do regret not being more disciplined and not doing things with moderation.
I absolutely should made Crush n Gusher a one-and-done instead of twelve and done, but it is easier to ignore the discomfort while having fun.

Last edited:

epcotisbest

I like Miss Adventure Falls, but I feel so undignified getting in and out of the raft!

Hope you had a safe trip back home!

The trip home yesterday was interesting. We headed out early. There was plenty of traffic, with lots more people headed south toward WDW then were headed north.
We got off the interstate just north of Macon and took backroads home. That took awhile, but we avoided Atlanta traffic, and that was the idea. Besides, the back way to North Georgia is a nice, scenic drive.
Yeah, there does not seem to be a graceful way to get in those big rafts at Miss Adventure. I would turn around and just kinda slide in backwards and raise my legs up and swing them over while lying flat on my back in the bottom of the raft. Getting out was much more difficult.

Last edited:

epcotisbest

I posted some photos earlier of the view from our room at SSR. Here is the view from the table out on the deck here at home. It was nice having breakfast outside at home this morning.
There was a record high temperature here yesterday, and supposed to be record highs for a few more days.
Oh, someone mowed the grass and did weedeating while we were gone. Probably my sister when she came to water the plants, or the neighbor who collected our mail. I'll find out soon enough and thank them with some BBQ or something next time I grill.

DA2D7EB8-DDEB-41EF-90EF-DDBC2C0E14A2.jpeg

epcotisbest

Hello-

Friday was a yoga & walk day, yesterday was just a walk day and today I've done yoga and I hope to walk later on.

I tried my beta blocker on Friday as a dry run. It was ok, even though I had nothing that would cause fight or flight happen. I did feel a bit physically blunted, if that makes sense. I was reading about people's experiences taking this medicine for performance anxiety and someone said, "You still need to prepare for your presentation. This will not help you if you don't." Get outta town! 😂 Anyway, the experiences were mostly positive. And most said that you will still get a bit nervous, but you don't get that release of adrenaline that shuts everything down. People said once they started speaking, they felt so much more confident. I am hoping this is my experience next week. I am ready to charm the hecc out of them. 😜

I made lemon curd yesterday and today I am making cheesecakes in mason jars. I cook them in the crock pot, so I don't have to heat up the house. The lemon curd is for topping the cheesecakes. 😋

Edit: I meant to add a photo of my blue jay friend. He's been hanging around my car, too. He's mostly been attacking the mirror.

View attachment 376146

Nice view of your feathered friend. I like the adirondack chair. Been thinking about getting a couple of those in the composite material, but the ones i have looked at have been kinda pricey.

HouCuseChickie

My husband bought me the entire series on DVD for my birthday about 10 years ago. It came in a box that looked like Sofia's wicker purse and had a deck of Golden Girls playing cards. I swear, it was the best gift my husband ever gave me. 😂

Wow! All you need is a cheesecake and you're set! My friend and I used to hit up Marshalls during our lunch breaks and every time, one of us would find a Sofia style purse and debate about whether or not we should buy it. We really want the action figures, but don't really know what we'd do with them once we got them.

HouCuseChickie

I THINK our max was 21. My first semester, I think I only took 19 because I was scared I wouldn't be able to handle college and taking the max just didn't seem like a good idea...what if I failed everything because I tried to do too much?? But after that, I HAD to take the max just to fit in all the requirements. I had to get special permission from one prof to take a junior/senior level course as a freshman. It was Human Lifespan Development, and it was required for all education majors regardless of the area of education, and it was the only non-music required course that fit into my schedule that semester. So I went and begged....My brother had taken the class the year before, also as a freshman, so I knew it was possible. I went to the professor and she said most freshman wouldn't be able to handle the coursework...it was a senior class for a reason, I said my brother took it last year as a freshman, she asked who, and when I said his name, she went "OH!!! Well, I didn't know he was a freshman when he signed up, but he was a good student...are you anything like him in your studies?" I assured her that I was motivated, and that I was near the top of my class in high school, so she let me sign up, and then I surprised her by getting an A in the class. She really hadn't believed I could handle it when most of her juniors and seniors were getting Cs. (I still don't understand why....it wasn't a particularly difficult class if you actually went and looked at the material, but whatever) So I pretty much did one non-music class per semester, 2 if I could fit them in...I did Poli Sci in an online form so I didn't actually have to go to class and could do it when it worked out for me, and I took Astronomy in the Summer, and an English Lit class another Summer, and I STILL took 5 years to graduate with taking the max number of credits, and doing Summers, even though I got straight A's...I don't think anyone could do it in just 4 years unless they did every Summer and the pre-Summer sessions where you took one class for several hours a day for 3 weeks. I even had to get permission to drop my voice lessons my 2nd Senior year since I had already done my recital and if I took the voice lessons, it would put me over the max credits, even with doing one of the choirs for audit (no credit). It was a pain! I overheard someone once saying "I wish I could be a music major....all you do is sing all day! It would be so easy!!" and I wanted to say "Try it!" There were music majors who switched to engineering because it was easier than music theory. Yeah...all you have to do is sing all day. :rolleyes::banghead:

LOL! I wish it were "all you do is sing all day!" That would have been my ideal. We only had room for one non-music course and we were required to have a certain number of writing credits, so writing was my only time with non-music majors for two of my semesters. That's great that you were able to get into that Human Lifespan class. I know so many advisors and professors get anxious over younger students enrolling in some courses, but it's often suitable for more than just upperclassmen. I had a few courses my junior and senior years that could be taken for graduate level psychology credits and I still did well in them. I also found that some people handle certain course and testing settings better than others. My best friend in college was one of those who could walk into most classes and pull an A with little to no studying, but we discovered her Achilles heel in her junior year. She was great when everything was text book and multiple choice questions, but when research projects with theories, free recall essay tests and open ended outcomes came into play...well, she didn't do well. I know a lot of people who went to public universities and colleges that took 5+ years to finish, but for us, the only time anyone went into a 5th year was if they had a 5 year degree program (architecture) or they failed a course (which usually was made up at a local public school). While I didn't do it every year, I'd sometimes take summer courses at University of Florida to stay on track, since the credits would transfer. I think I took 4 or 5 courses there. At the time, their courses were $35 a credit...so a 3-credit course cost $105. I spent one summer up at my school and took one course there and it was around $485 a credit hour. The only reason my parents agreed to pay for it that summer was because I was turning 21 and it was sort of a gift to get my summer with my friends. That's funny about engineering being easier than music theory. It might have been a blessing too. While not everyone cashes in on it, most engineering degrees can walk high paying entry level spots.

HouCuseChickie

Looked at these one time but was afraid the wood would not hold up to the sun and rain. They looked nice though.

View attachment 376155

Not sure about that specific chair, but well made Adirondack style chairs generally hold up pretty well. Some of the upstate NY resorts we frequented when I was a kid would just touch theirs up each year with fresh paint. The company that owns our building put a bunch outside last year to add more outdoor seating options and they've done really well with the Houston heat and humidity.

HouCuseChickie

Today is a break day. I got to the office around 8pm last night and didn't get to leave until around 4am. I was home around 4:45am and woke up around 9am. I also must admit that I'm in pain from my run. During a lull last night, I started comparing the three training plans and I've been on the most aggressive. Even his "first half marathon" plan on the app is more aggressive than the plan he provides for Disney. So, I'm thinking of shifting to the plan he provides for Disney and ease back into things. That should still have me 10k ready by September and I should be able to shift a bit between them and ease into one of the more intense ones as I get farther in. In the meantime, my foam rollers arrived, so I'm going to try and work out some of the pain that stretching couldn't undo. I also have a band arriving to help my knee, which seems to get aggravated when I run. Don't get me wrong, I know this is going to be a lot of work, but week 2 on the Galloway Disney plan has 3 miles as my long run where week 2 on the app plan had me doing 6.30. i.e. not sure if my body is there just yet.

47937020647_6aff26a57b.jpg

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Not sure about that specific chair, but well made Adirondack style chairs generally hold up pretty well. Some of the upstate NY resorts we frequented when I was a kid would just touch theirs up each year with fresh paint. The company that owns our building put a bunch outside last year to add more outdoor seating options and they've done really well with the Houston heat and humidity.
Yes, same. Ours have a sealant on them. We've never had an issue with them.

Sans Souci

Nice view of your feathered friend. I like the adirondack chair. Been thinking about getting a couple of those in the composite material, but the ones i have looked at have been kinda pricey.

My husband saw them at Costco and bought them on a whim. My husband has this habit of bringing outdoor furniture home when he goes out shopping. He likes them. I am indifferent, since they serve their purpose. In that regard, they could have been wood or plastic. They've gone to London with us and back to Illinois and then onto NJ. They are well-travelled chairs. lol

Sans Souci

Today is a break day. I got to the office around 8pm last night and didn't get to leave until around 4am. I was home around 4:45am and woke up around 9am. I also must admit that I'm in pain from my run. During a lull last night, I started comparing the three training plans and I've been on the most aggressive. Even his "first half marathon" plan on the app is more aggressive than the plan he provides for Disney. So, I'm thinking of shifting to the plan he provides for Disney and ease back into things. That should still have me 10k ready by September and I should be able to shift a bit between them and ease into one of the more intense ones as I get farther in. In the meantime, my foam rollers arrived, so I'm going to try and work out some of the pain that stretching couldn't undo. I also have a band arriving to help my knee, which seems to get aggravated when I run. Don't get me wrong, I know this is going to be a lot of work, but week 2 on the Galloway Disney plan has 3 miles as my long run where week 2 on the app plan had me doing 6.30. i.e. not sure if my body is there just yet.

47937020647_6aff26a57b.jpg

I have a foam roller, but mine is smooth. Admittedly, I don't use it was much as a should, because it hurts to roll the parts I should be rolling. Rolling my IT band brings tears to my eyes no matter how light I am with the pressure.

That seems like a big difference in milage in the app. There's no need in pushing yourself harder than necessary, that's a recipe for injury. I feel like I am an active person and if I ever decide to do a RunDisney event, I'd be doing the RunDisney schedule, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom