working out for Disney

HouCuseChickie

My friend asked why I thought United would hire me. The job posting said they were looking for people who worked in social services, as well as teachers, nurses, first responders. I reminded her that I am a social worker and that entails working with people who are not in a good place in their lives. You have to possess emotional intelligence and heaps of patience to work in social services, in addition to having good communication skills, being a problem solver, and multitasking. She said, "That will help when the plane is going to crash." She said it such a snarky way. Obviously, safety is the first concern of a flight attendant, but you're also dealing with people who may be disgruntled about delays, seat size, other passengers, etc. That is where my social worker skills will kick in. :)

I have another friend who is a flight attendant and she has been nothing but helpful and supportive. She is actually a WDW Magic member. She sent me a letter of recommendation last weekend unprompted, but I can't use it because United only accepts LoRs from United employees. (Plus she sent it directly to me to print, which is a no-no.) But I really appreciate the effort and I see some phrases I can use in an interview.

I can't type the words going through my head...well, at least not on this forum...but seriously!?!?!?! You're a social worker! When I think social services, it's one of the professions I would immediately associate with this job posting. Heck, I work in the financial industry and was hired with no financial experience (unless you count restaurant and drug store cashier :hilarious:) and a psychology degree and what I call an "almost minor" in writing/English textual studies. The almost is because I had a horrible advisor who never pushed me towards a minor (not required) and I graduated just ONE class shy of a minor. You sound like the kind of person they want for this job, so don't let snarky friend make you think otherwise.

That's great with this other friend. So supportive and so nice of her to send that letter of recommendation!

HouCuseChickie

I am laughing at kazoo guy and the three people clapping. That's too funny. He's like that one guy who tries to start a wave, but no one really wants to stand up, so it just dies.

My husband bought tickets to a "friendly" soccer game AKA "football match" at Soldier Field. It was USA v England. I wasn't expecting so many English people, but there were and they brought in drums, trumpets, and trombones. I was thinking, "Is this a parade or a soccer game?" They are just used for making noise. One person knew the first five notes to a song and then played it ad nauseam. There was some chanting, but I had no idea what they were saying. At one point, this massive St. George's flag appeared out of nowhere and was just floating over the seats on that side of the stadium, meanwhile it was so sedate on the USA side of the stadium by comparison. :hilarious:

Earlier in the game, there were a lot more people in our section and they were all clapping along with him. I just didn't think to record him until bottom of the 8th.

That sounds like fun with the soccer/football match. I always prefer to be around people really getting into it...although, playing the same song over and over might drive me nuts.

HouCuseChickie

I have a bunch of lemons and I am thinking of making lemon curd with them. Whenever I make lemon curd, I usually use it as a filling for macarons. I am very tempted to make a few dozen for the weekend. But I can never stop at one or two, so I need to think about this...

I LOVE lemon curd! My problem is that I just want to eat it by the spoonful and I risk not having any of it make it in the pie or treats that I'm making.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
My friend asked why I thought United would hire me. The job posting said they were looking for people who worked in social services, as well as teachers, nurses, first responders. I reminded her that I am a social worker and that entails working with people who are not in a good place in their lives. You have to possess emotional intelligence and heaps of patience to work in social services, in addition to having good communication skills, being a problem solver, and multitasking. She said, "That will help when the plane is going to crash." She said it such a snarky way. Obviously, safety is the first concern of a flight attendant, but you're also dealing with people who may be disgruntled about delays, seat size, other passengers, etc. That is where my social worker skills will kick in. :)

I have another friend who is a flight attendant and she has been nothing but helpful and supportive. She is actually a WDW Magic member. She sent me a letter of recommendation last weekend unprompted, but I can't use it because United only accepts LoRs from United employees. (Plus she sent it directly to me to print, which is a no-no.) But I really appreciate the effort and I see some phrases I can use in an interview.

The one friend sounds a little bit negative. I would imagine having a social work background would be a huge plus for a flight attendant. I'm glad your other friend has been so supportive. Again best wishes for your upcoming interview.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Yup, as others have stated here, that "friend" had a very bizarre, non-supportive attitude. And her reasoning made zero sense. All I can say is that I'm glad she never went into social work, herself -- so NOT qualified . . . :facepalm:

epcotisbest

@epcotisbest how are you feeling?

Good morning. I am up early again today as i got very little sleep. I am still paying for my overdoing it at Typhoon Lagoon. I could have been OK had I not tried some of the more physical things multiple times.
We did the Crush n Gusher thing, all three rides, not once, but four times each, for a total of twelve times carrying the raft up the stairs, then the ride itself is very bouncy and tosses you around a lot. I should have done one ride and called it a day, but no!
And we did Miss adventure falls five or six times. It is not roller coaster rough like the other one, actually. quite smooth, but getting in and out of those big round rafts was kinda physically challenging.
Anyway, we had to cancel Epcot plans yesterday due to an elevated pain level, but we spent a nice amount of time by another pool, where i had an interesting encounter with an entitled tourist, but i will save that story for later.
Thanks for your concern. I will be fine, and this little setback is my own fault, but we are headed home tomorrow and some extra meds, heating pads and ice packs will ease this up soon enough. I have fabricated ice packs here with ziplock bags filled with ice and and wrapped in towels. The sun stands in nicely for the heating pads, i just require lots of sunscreen.
No more whining for today. Time to make the donuts.

Songbird76

So, this "friend" is just assuming the plane is going to crash? The PILOT is responsible for the plane....the FA's are responsible for taking care of the passengers needs.. What in the world does she think the FAs do? And if the plane is going to crash, I'm pretty sure there's not a lot that the FA's can do to stop it. :rolleyes: Does this person hate flying?

Nice of the other person to give you tips and support! Why won't United accept LoRs from non-United employees? Not even from previous employers?

Songbird76

I'll eat pie, but it seems like it's such hard work to make from scratch. You have to make the crust, blind bake it, make the filling, put it in the pie crust and bake again. Plus, you can't even eat a pie for hours after it's done. Cake and cookies are instant gratification. :)
I have a gaggle of teenagers making cupcakes downstairs in my kitchen. I was dismissed. "Mom, you can go upstairs...."

Songbird76

I had to look up All East just to see, since the name implies something it's not. It's really more New England and the Mid-Atlantic states. So, Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Delaware, DC, and also the European Armed Forces schools. I was happy that they just used our All State scores, because things were so busy at that time. They sent me the music, but everything from practices to performances took place in Pittsburgh...and that just wasn't happening. I had just told my parents I would not be accepting the offer to go to their alma mater and was trying to decide between a state school where we'd be paying out of state tuition vs. a private school.

I'm a horrible sight reader. My tonal memory is solid, but even as an adult, I have to address this during auditions so they'll give me a chance. My first year with the symphony, I had to meet with the asst. director before each performance to prove that I'd learned my music. I'm very thankful that my daughter's choir teacher does more than just singing. She's 12 and can already sight read circles around me. I really wish we had theory in high school. It would have helped in so many ways.
Amen! I got to my freshman year of college as a music major having no theory. I didn't know key signatures, I couldn't sight read, I had no idea how you could hear whether a piece was in 3/4 or 4/4 time. I knew what sharps and flats were, but that was about the extent of my music theory. I was SO behind. I'm still not good at key sigs.

StarWarsGirl

Good morning.

I went to the gym again this morning. There was a class going on in the pool, and my swim cap hasn't come from Amazon yet and I didn't want to deal with my hair's aftermath anyway, so I did the recumbant bike for 30 minutes and then stretched for 10 minutes. I got a later start than I would have liked, so that was all I had time for. I'm still a night owl naturally, so getting up at 6 to go to the gym is taking some getting used to.

I had avocado on toast for breakfast at work. I do very limited dairy and I'm allergic to a lot of fruits, so breakfast can be challenging. I was doing avocado toast at my old job, then I switched buildings and lost my toaster, and got a cafeteria, so suddenly avocado toast became eggs. Now I'm back to the avocado toast and keep salt, pepper, and Mrs. Dash in my desk for seasoning.

I'm also trying to make sure I'm hydrated. Our tap water here is completely disgusting even through the tap, so I need to bring a Brita bottle in or start bringing water from home (otherwise I end up making tea or adding Crystal Light to it). In the meantime, I grabbed this from the deli in our building.
20190524_094222.jpg

Trying to be healthy here...

HouCuseChickie

I don't even know where to begin with workouts. I'm staying on top of everything, but it all feels so much more complicated since I've added in the running training and everything that comes with it. A lot of it is a good complicated, but it's still a lot....especially with work being crazy right now, end of the school year stuff, fixing house damage, and sports schedules. I got in yesterday's and today's full morning workouts as well as last night's run. I have a light training walk I need to do a little later today, but it'll be on the treadmill. Tomorrow is a longer run, but my hydration vest came in earlier this week (looking into some Nuun tabs later today), I tested my new (cheap) running glasses and toe socks... and those are good, and I've got some foam rollers arriving tomorrow to help as well. If I'm really needing it...after the run and abs/weights workout tomorrow, I can even head up to the pool. Highs will be in the 90s, so it'll finally be proper pool weather to me. LOL. Of course, we have major stuff going on at work that's taking place this weekend, and I'll be in the office overnight...so, maybe not. Ultimately, it's the mental game that's becoming my challenge. I'm finding that my GPS watch data is sort of like the scale. I'm trying to stay true to my training run miles, so I need the GPS going through the entire session...but that also means having it add in my warm up and cool down walking into my overall tally...which is going to make me look slower than I am. I guess unlike the scale...where I can't see what's water weight or muscle density, I can see my actual run/walk numbers during the physical workout and see the growth...so, trying to keep all of that to help keep me positive. I mean, at the end of the day, I'm getting in my miles and keeping my run/walk ratio...even in the heat...so, I'm definitely doing something. I'm also trying to visualize the goals. Last night, I was getting a bit fatigued and then I remembered that I was working out for RunDisney, so I pictured myself running through the castle. It helped :)

StarWarsGirl

Amen! I got to my freshman year of college as a music major having no theory. I didn't know key signatures, I couldn't sight read, I had no idea how you could hear whether a piece was in 3/4 or 4/4 time. I knew what sharps and flats were, but that was about the extent of my music theory. I was SO behind. I'm still not good at key sigs.
I'm the opposite. You can tell I played instruments before I was a singer because I am tied to my music. I was always a decent sight reader when I took piano lessons. When we'd go through the books, every now and then there's be a piece that I'd get right after two or three times through and my piano teacher would let me skip it. She was also very big on written theory practice, so there was that. It served me well over the years. I was usually the only one who could read music in chorus, though.

Still, I think that some of the kids who learned to read music later in life were better at improv than me. I'm very big on sticking to the music as written.

HouCuseChickie

You fared much better than I did with all of it. I was the only one in the class with 0 theory background and the only one that struggled to read music. I was forced into tutoring because the professor chose to teach at an escalated pace due to the majority in the room. I get it, but it made the class a waste for me since I just sat there not getting it. He was some atonal music legend and there was a lot of ego involved. His TA who handled the tutoring wasn't much better. Our sight singing professor could have done the same thing, but he bent over backwards to make sure we all got it and his TA who handled tutoring was so much more personable. I guess it makes sense...the professor I liked who wanted everyone to learn would have a TA that had a similar philosophy. I still don't sight sing well, but because of their interval training, I'm soooooo much better and it's drastically improved my tonal memory. By my sophomore year, I was still technically a music major, but I'd started transitioning to liberal arts major requirements and was just doing voice lessons, choir, and some weekly music convocation you had to take every semester to be in the major.

Songbird76

You fared much better than I did with all of it. I was the only one in the class with 0 theory background and the only one that struggled to read music. I was forced into tutoring because the professor chose to teach at an escalated pace due to the majority in the room. I get it, but it made the class a waste for me since I just sat there not getting it. He was some atonal music legend and there was a lot of ego involved. His TA who handled the tutoring wasn't much better. Our sight singing professor could have done the same thing, but he bent over backwards to make sure we all got it and his TA who handled tutoring was so much more personable. I guess it makes sense...the professor I liked who wanted everyone to learn would have a TA that had a similar philosophy. I still don't sight sing well, but because of their interval training, I'm soooooo much better and it's drastically improved my tonal memory. By my sophomore year, I was still technically a music major, but I'd started transitioning to liberal arts major requirements and was just doing voice lessons, choir, and some weekly music convocation you had to take every semester to be in the major.
Oh ugh...I hated convocation! Ours was a zero credit, but you HAD to take it every semester, and there was a convo class every week. You had to get 15 stamps on your card for the semester, and the majority came from those convo classes. But it's an hour a week that you don't get credit for. People don't understand how music majors are taking 12 classes a semester, but all of them are only 1 credit hour each, even though you might have class every day, or 3 times a week. Most of my non-music friends only had 3-4 classes per semester. It would take 10 years to graduate if you did that with music.
I wasn't forced into tutoring, but I spent a lot of time in my theory professors office during her office hours. I made it, but theory is still not something I'm particularly good at or like. I'm a decent sight reader, but there were much better readers in college.

HouCuseChickie

Oh ugh...I hated convocation! Ours was a zero credit, but you HAD to take it every semester, and there was a convo class every week. You had to get 15 stamps on your card for the semester, and the majority came from those convo classes. But it's an hour a week that you don't get credit for. People don't understand how music majors are taking 12 classes a semester, but all of them are only 1 credit hour each, even though you might have class every day, or 3 times a week. Most of my non-music friends only had 3-4 classes per semester. It would take 10 years to graduate if you did that with music.
I wasn't forced into tutoring, but I spent a lot of time in my theory professors office during her office hours. I made it, but theory is still not something I'm particularly good at or like. I'm a decent sight reader, but there were much better readers in college.

I think convo was a 1-credit course for us. I can't remember all of the credit breakdowns, but I carried 21 credit hours per semester for the two semesters where I was in all music major courses. Avg course load for all students, regardless of major was 15 credit hours. Every now and then, after leaving music, I'd have an 18 credit semester. The only sad part was that all of these music courses became elective credits once I formally changed majors. It would have been nice to have some of those elective hours for things like scuba diving and yoga. Still, after leaving music, I was able to sleep in. Music majors always had early classes, while everyone else had at least a couple of days a week where they could structure a later start.

Sometimes convo was wonderful and sometimes it was as dry as a piece of cardboard. I don't know why I remember this, but ours was always at 7pm every Tuesday night. Ok, I probably remember because it meant having to climb a massive hill, right after dinner, in sub-zero temps with lake effect snow. The good part was that I was there with some of my closest friends and we'd sometimes hit the practice rooms after convo for a sing-a-long or to listen in on someone's recital progress.

Songbird76

I think convo was a 1-credit course for us. I can't remember all of the credit breakdowns, but I carried 21 credit hours per semester for the two semesters where I was in all music major courses. Avg course load for all students, regardless of major was 15 credit hours. Every now and then, after leaving music, I'd have an 18 credit semester. The only sad part was that all of these music courses became elective credits once I formally changed majors. It would have been nice to have some of those elective hours for things like scuba diving and yoga. Still, after leaving music, I was able to sleep in. Music majors always had early classes, while everyone else had at least a couple of days a week where they could structure a later start.

Sometimes convo was wonderful and sometimes it was as dry as a piece of cardboard. I don't know why I remember this, but ours was always at 7pm every Tuesday night. Ok, I probably remember because it meant having to climb a massive hill, right after dinner, in sub-zero temps with lake effect snow. The good part was that I was there with some of my closest friends and we'd sometimes hit the practice rooms after convo for a sing-a-long or to listen in on someone's recital progress.
I always had the max number of credits you were allowed to take, but I don't remember how many that was. But yeah, way more than my non-music major friends, and like you said, I always had early classes. Mondays and Wednesdays I was in class from 8 am to 8:30 pm, and I didn't have a lunch break because that's when the main choir rehearsed, so I had an hour and a half around dinner time, and the rest of the time I was in class. Tuesdays and Thursdays I was done at 5, but again no lunch break. We rehearsed every day. And Thursday afternoon was our convocation class, which was almost always boring. I am so glad to be done with all of that!!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Good morning. I am up early again today as i got very little sleep. I am still paying for my overdoing it at Typhoon Lagoon. I could have been OK had I not tried some of the more physical things multiple times.
We did the Crush n Gusher thing, all three rides, not once, but four times each, for a total of twelve times carrying the raft up the stairs, then the ride itself is very bouncy and tosses you around a lot. I should have done one ride and called it a day, but no!
And we did Miss adventure falls five or six times. It is not roller coaster rough like the other one, actually. quite smooth, but getting in and out of those big round rafts was kinda physically challenging.
Anyway, we had to cancel Epcot plans yesterday due to an elevated pain level, but we spent a nice amount of time by another pool, where i had an interesting encounter with an entitled tourist, but i will save that story for later.
Thanks for your concern. I will be fine, and this little setback is my own fault, but we are headed home tomorrow and some extra meds, heating pads and ice packs will ease this up soon enough. I have fabricated ice packs here with ziplock bags filled with ice and and wrapped in towels. The sun stands in nicely for the heating pads, i just require lots of sunscreen.
No more whining for today. Time to make the donuts.

Isn't it amazing how your body can take a hit when you're having so much fun?! ;) Happens to all of us adults on occasion. I hope you'll feel better soon. My hunch is that in time, you'll look back on the water park experience and probably smile, regardless, being happy about the good times overall.

Read with interest the Crush n Gusher explanation. Always wanted to go on that, but not solo. From what you shared above, it sounds pretty rough, even with two people on a raft.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom