Working for Disney is bad?

Merlin0402

Original Poster
Hey everyone, it's pretty well known in my family that I will be moving to Orlando once I graduate, and working for Disney. So, knowing this, my aunt goes to Orlando for a convention, and runs into a guy that works at the Boardwalk Inn. She told him about my plans and everything, and he told her nothing but negatives about doing it. He said that it's amazingly expensive to live there, and that he doesn't respect the company and how they treat their employees. This comes back with my aunt and now I look like an idiot for thinking that I could do this. Can someone please tell me that this is just a very negative person and not how things really are?
Sean
P.S.- He kept repeating over and over, "Why does he want to do this?", I refuse to believe that I am the only person who wants to do this...

DisneyCP2000

Don't forget this is only ONE cast member's opinion. There are thousands of other cast members out there who I'm pretty sure think it's a great company. I've worked with the company for 4 months on my college program and got along with all the cast members. As a matter of fact we're all pretty close friends right now. From what I've heard from them, they all enjoy working there.

As for the cost for living...I think it's cheaper in FL when compared to all the big cities around the US.

Cricket2713

Don't let one person's opinion discourage you. No matter how great a job is there will always be someone who hates it. I've worked for the same company on and off for 16 years and have seen employees come and go who did nothing but complain about the owners and benefits. Is the company perfect? No. I know there are problems here and there but when it comes right down to it I have no major complaints.
Even so that didn't stop me from accepting a position with a different company last May. Now I jave a job that I love, great benefits and great hours. Why did I make the switch? Because I was ready for a change and felt it was in my best interest. But I still work part-time at my former job. I'm sure for every unhappy former or present CM you may meet there will be ones that are very happy with their job.
As far as the cost of living goes try where I live. Many people live more than an hour away from the city because they cant afford anything closer. $700-$800 a month for a one bedroom + utilities is about the average around here.

Maria

Let´s not forget that it is not the same being on the college program or any international program, than making a living out of a job in Disney.

I think it all depends of the position and schedule you have, and the ones you would like to have! :animwink:

TURKEY

Originally posted by Turbogames
I would love to work at disney one day. When MkTiggerman gets on he can tell you all about working for disney.

He's the only one that can tell about working for Disney? :(

I had a blast on my CP. I wanted to go back this summer, but better opportunities came along. If I didn't love working for Disney so much, I wouldn't be a campus representative. I can't wait until I graduate so I can try and get back to Florida to work.

I had TERRIBLE days working there, but I think that's going to be true at any job. Plus it's what you make of your job. If you go in with a bad attitude thinking you're going to hate it, you probally will.

Merlin0402

Original Poster
He told my aunt that a normal apartment was $800 a month and that the cheapest he knew of was a studio apartment for $450 a month. He also said that living with a roommate is not an option, you have to do it. Also, I would be working there full time, if this makes any difference I don't know.

TravisMT81

the apartment thing is true, luckily I have a roomate, so it is around 450 dollars for me. And yes over the last decade management has changed a lot, and there are a lot of . And they do jerk you around a lot. But I really think you make it out the way you want it to be. Positive attitude and you will have a great time.

The Mom

Premium Member
A lot depends upon where you are in life! You're young and single, and I would hope you will have a marketable skill. You can probably get a roomate or two to share the rent on a 2 or 3 BR apartment. That's very different than someone who may have a spouse and/or children and is working the same entry level job! Consider it an adventure; you have lots of time to get serious later. ;)

cm1988

My vote

Originally posted by Merlin0402
...I will be moving to Orlando once I graduate, and working for Disney... guy that works at the Boardwalk Inn....nothing but negatives about doing it...s amazingly expensive to live ...doesn't respect the company and how they treat their employees... please tell me that this is just a very negative person and not how things really are?
Sean -
Thanks for asking. In mid-career, I took an entry level role at WDW. My regrets:
  • Didn't start at Disney right after college... or better yet, the WDW College Program
  • Didn't have a budget those first years
  • Didn't floss every day
The pluses...
  • Being on the giving side of the magic... seeing people's reactions
  • Making lots of friends; though in the first year it seemed I wasn't making ANY
  • Seeing a fascinating place from the inside out
  • Feeling that every day, it was worth working there
Ran into many negative opinions out there, so I'm not surprised what your aunt heard. A lot of the WDW cast leaves within a year, but many who stay that long stay for 10 years or more.

It's a great place to start; great on your resume. Real work; real experience; real corporate environment. You'll see how mature you are, because your patience will be tested in adapting to a unique corporate culture.

I hope to retire here, but is it right for you?... well, consider the costs... maybe having to share an apartment... probably a late-night schedule. Would the experience be worth it to you?

As for housing... many Orlando areas are not considered "amazingly expensive" places to live. If you wish to avoid traffic in your commute, some of your better options are -

> Clermont is a little far away (about 20 miles, but because it is northwest of WDW, you commute up route 27, which still is not too congested. And Clermont is in Lake County... which has some hills and is arguably the most scenic area of Central Florida. Could be something of a financial challenge... finding that affordable place, and of course the transportation costs.

> Winter Garden. That's a fairly pleasant 15-mile commute straight north, up 535, which also does not have too much traffic. Apartments and mobile homes available in many areas.

Other areas popular for cast members are

> Polk County. To get there, you commute West on I-4 for 10 miles or so. Occasionally, there are traffic issues, but not as often as heading to Downtown Orlando. Some affordable, rustic options out there. Rustic, and at places, borderline honky-tonk. Head there for the country life.

> Downtown Orlando! Actually a very nice place to live; lots of "over the garage" and half-house apartments to be found (just drive around and look for signs... or check the Sentinal). Great if you can walk to the Lake Eola area. Many say "worth the commute". If you thirst for culture, that's where you need to go.

> Kissimmee. It's really the 'bedroom community' for many of WDW's 50,000 cast members. Many affordable options... trailers to rent, apartments, house shares. Personally, I don't find the area very appealing... but I think that's due to the fact that I seldom get off 192 on my trips through Kissimmee. That is is the equivalent of judging all of Orlando by "the Trail" (a.k.a. Orange Blossom Trail/OBT) or I-Drive... both of which are looking better these days.

> Kirkman Road/MetroWest. There you'll be neighbors with the esteemed cast of another entertainment complex. Many, many apartment complexes... but almost all with rent that would require at least one roommate to cover. I'm not an apartment fan, myself. Prefer listening to my own music.

Have I listed enough options to confuse you? Sorry... but I could go on if you have further questions. Main message: housing is just a little tight... so you should know your budget and be prepared to make a decision when you find something you really like. Still, there are options out there... and it's definately urban sprawl... so you may find yourself needing to 'shop' for a few days.

Once you get started, of course, you'll have access to the online portal, which has plenty of adverts from cast members looking for roommates, or with trailers/apartments to rent. In the meantime, the Sentinal and "apartment finder" booklets are good sources. But if you have the time and patience, a little driving around your neighborhood of choice could just pay off.

epcot71

keep this in mind-last time i heard there are thousands and thousands of cast members-something like 45-55 k according to the season.i think disney as a whole has about 120 k total cast members.it is fair to say there will be cast members who dont like disney.i dont work for the company but know some who do-
one is a business development mgr for the disney store in glendale,one a guest services manager at disneyland,and know 3 disney store managers,and one who workes for disney interactive.they all said disney like all companies has some negative but mostly positive-they all feel they are paid fairly and is competitive,has great benefits,and lots of growth and room to grow-they all love thier jobs and plan on staying until they are old and grey.as far as the cost of living ive been in florida for 20 years now and i dont know anywhere in fla where entry level pay is much better-orlando is moderate in cost of living-i lived in broward(ft lauderdale) and dade(miami)-and those place are very expensive to live-so PLEASE dont let one discruntled cast member keep u away from being part of the magic of disney!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I have no opinion about WDW since my view on working there is somewhat biased

RobFL

Account Suspended
My thoughts:

I'm not a CP or international. I'm not even full time, i'm just your typical little Casual-Regular Disney employee.

I work in Operations. I am an Attractions Host.

My job, if anything, I would say is what people who want to "Go work for Disney!" shoot for. Certainly many people also want the other numerous jobs available, but the most glorified and "glamorous" position (of the entry-level) in the public opinion is Attractions.

Its the unique "theme park" thing. You can do food service or merchandising anywhere, but where can you be an attraction operator?

A quick note about entertainment, it requires a good deal of skill and talent for most positions, so I don't consider it entry level. Just so no one thinks i'm leaving them out :)

Anyways.. I sought out the job after a breif stint doing the "Ivy League" thing - which, everyone was right, wasn't my style. I've always been interesed in themed design and aside from hearing "You need a degree in engineering or architecture" I also was informed that everyone I really look up to started as an Attractions Host.

So, I drove my little car halfway across the state (after calling ahead and making an apointment and quitting my other job) and went to Casting. I knew I wanted into Attractions. and I really didn't expect to be hired. Sure, I had a very disney-conservative and yet "sheik" outfit, a bigger than life smile, and my "Please please please hire me..." speech prepared, but I really had no experience.

When I arrived I really thought my chances were slim. The building itself was intimidating. I was interviewed by a woman who informed me that she normally only hires upper-level excutive management and that today she was doing my interview in order to help out with the crowd.

And, to make matters worse, she point blank asked me, after a bit of formality.. "You have practically no work experience... Why should I hire you?" and then just sat there staring at me.

After my near death experience... and a really good speech I pulled out of nowehre about my love for the Disney company and the envy for the quality of work and magic they create, I was offered my current position.

So.. I started work. I was trained. Getting into the groove with the complexities of the system were a bit difficult at first. I went 3 days without knowing where to clock in or out. I went through 2 different trainers because my original was transferred. I got lost on more than one occasion, and made some really big mistakes.

I got yelled at. I had days I never wanted to go back. I had days I wanted to storm out. I had days I was completely miserable but forced myself to finish.

But then I started to fit in. I had fellow CM's i thought could care less about me, looking out for me. I got a nickname. I started helping others with problems I had when I first started. I knew how to handle unhappy guests. I got rounds of applause from time to time. I actually made some really good friends. I gained a sense of accomplishment when things went well.

All of this, i wasn't expecting.

Sure, I don't get paid much, and i'm probably going to drop my hours down to one or two days a week when I restart college this fall, but I managed to make myself a part of a team. Or actually, we're more of a little family. We look out for each other and sometimes get paid to have a wonderful time doing what we do.

So, I like my job, and I know other people don't though. It jsut depends on what you want. The ones who don't like their jobs are the ones who often just wanted a job. I wanted the experience - the whole experience, the good and the bad. I can live without money, but not without a sense of purpose, and I found a nice little job that gives me both :)

-Rob

PS: The unhappy miserable ones don't "quit" very often.. They get terminated.

mkt

Premium Member
Originally posted by RobFL
A quick note about entertainment, it requires a good deal of skill and talent for most positions, so I don't consider it entry level. Just so no one thinks i'm leaving them out :)

who? li'l old me? lol. It doesn't take THAT much skill to get into entertainment (hell.. I got in). You just have to make sure that they know that you won't give up. If you mess up the dance routine during the audition, they won't care if you keep trying, or at least make something up. If you give up and don't try, that will hold you back from progressing.

PS: The unhappy miserable ones don't "quit" very often.. They get terminated.

nah... we just do our jobs the best we can, and hope for change that will eventually come.

RobFL

Account Suspended
Well, okay, just the unhappy ones who are really bad at their jobs. The rest have their reasons for being unhappy and miserable.. it's not a personality flaw ;)

-Rob

mkt

Premium Member
Well, okay, just the unhappy ones who are really bad at their jobs

oh, .. ok.. I know a few of those.. *runs to MK tunnels and starts pointing fingers*.. lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom